Cypress Semiconductor Corporation Employee Reviews

Great Legal Department
Senior Corporate Paralegal (Former Employee) –  San Jose CAJuly 12, 2018
I loved the excellent combination of self direction and challenging work. The legal team is cohesive and supportive. I no longer work there as staffing needs changed, but, would love to return
Collaborative Work Environment with authentic & competent management
Software consultant employed by Oxford (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 9, 2018
My time with the software team at Cypress Semiconductors is exciting and enriching. I am learning new skills and feel that my contributions are valued.

Fortunately, I can compose my daily work schedule at Cypress pretty freely, since I telecommute to Portland, OR from my home-lab in Florida.

Due to the 3 hour time difference, the daily meetings occur around 1PM EST. Selected Team members report the status of their projects and discuss difficulties or potential solutions. Due to time pressure to meet the current release dead-lines, these meetings are kept as short as possible.

During my on-site visits, almost the entire team was extremely helpful and freely available for explanations and support. My immediate team leaders unify competency, determination and authenticity, which greatly supports the creative and efficient work environment at Cypress.

Cypress chose Java for the main Modus application, while some supporting sidekick tools are written with C++. Developing some of these peripheral support applications is the focus of my 6 month contract.

Due to historical reasons, Cypress authorizes a “GUI committee” to review submitted GUI proposals without directly interacting with potential user groups of the software or with the responsible engineers who are supposed to develop the product. This process is hard to understand from my perspective.

To circumvent this unfortunate situation without affecting the project’s budget, my immediate managers have done everything they could to reach out to potential users for feedback and helped to allow modern “agile
  more... style” practices to be included in the design & development phase.

The trusting and helpful cooperation in the team has enabled us to release a fully functional prototype after only three month of design & development time.

The Cypress engineering team has the clear desire to focus more on modern UX/UI software engineering practices, but the available resources to push the Modus Toolbox towards more user-centric development goals might have to be increased to achieve a more significant impact.

I enjoy the friendly atmosphere among most team members, the exciting moments when everything “works” the way it should, and the funny card game we play during lunchtime in Portland.
Pros
Great collaborative work experience; Telecommuting is allowed and accepted
Cons
Only 6 month contract
cypress semiconductor
Manufacturing Operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 18, 2018
A lot of favoritism and not enough pay. 12 hour workdays standing and the turn around rate was high due to lack of management. When I tried to strive for more they turned me down.
Not for Creative Minds in the Administrative field
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 11, 2018
This place is for you if:
-You like to just do what you're told
-Punch in, punch out
-Like a slow paced culture
-Have an inferior personality
-Socialize only to talk about how stressed you are but still do it day in and day out
Pros
CEO is trying to change things around
Cons
Too slow and little to no room for creativity in the administrative side
Typical shift
Principle Technician Engineering, Test (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 1, 2018
I had worked for AMD starting in 1993 until it became Scansion in 2005 and had a job offer in New York at Globalfoundries in 2013. I left GF because my wife's job in Hays County Texas. So I have really been with AMD/Spansion/Cypress for > 20 years. To continue with review: Normally, I come in early to address any issues prior to official pass down so that I can get my tools and parts ready to accomplish a task. We have many types of testers ranging from Adventist 5400 to Teradyne Magnum 1 and 2 parametric WET and FWET Agilent 4072s. We also have many types of Semiconductor wafer probing tools from UF200A and UF3000 and UF3000ex from Accretech. What I have learned over the years is to improvise. Management tries to be pro active with a limited budget but at times, they do not really understand the benefits of having parts available to turn tools around in a short period of time. Cypress has had layoffs which are publicly known and it has created a lot of tension but we work through it the best we can because are family there. The hardest part of my job is balancing priorities with limited budget not having parts on hand. The most enjoyable part is sharing are experiences and working as a team to accomplish any task that is presented to us.
Pros
Having plenty of work.
Cons
Not having parts on hand.
Hardware Design Team Leader (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMay 21, 2018
Pretty good balanced, semiconductor company. Israel branch started from Saifun Semicionductors and after that Spansion semiconductors and lastly Cypress semiconductors.
Work environment
Senior Engineering Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 15, 2018
A great place to work under good management, Good people to work with. Very good structured lab. Very clean. Lots of Lab Space Great team of employees.
Pros
hour lunche, bonuses
Cons
starting time
Starting off
Intern to HR and Lawyer departments (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 6, 2018
A typical day at cypress would start of with filing.As soon as I got to work supervisors expected me to work on what I had left off.This thought me be more responsible and reach out to others when I need help or have questions.
Pros
Learning from others because it thought me to communicate with adults better
Cons
Having to be the youngest intern
Cypress is a Very Productive Company with unclear views on the needs for success in it’s industry.
Senior Semi Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 11, 2018
Over the past years with Cypress this Company has changed tremendously. It’s an excellent Company to work for. In which I did dedicate my life too. Now I must move on to a new horizons in my Life due to the Reduction In the Workforce there.
Pros
Great HealthCoverage & Benefits
Cons
Not having great communication with some co-workers about job related issues.
Toxic!!
Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesApril 11, 2018
Leadership is unable to Lead! They are all about themselves and have no idea that the company runs on employees, not themselves. These are the guys who should be flushed by the board immediately.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Leadership, if that's what you want to call them.
Very hard working enviroment and fun to work with diffrent type culture
Set-Up Technician (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNApril 9, 2018
Very hard working enviroment and fun to work with diffrent type culture. Enjoying the pace of the job . The benefits of the cypress semi conductor is also very attractive.
Pros
Free lunches box
Cons
2 minutes 15 breaks
Run, fast.
Sr. Director Product Marketing (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 4, 2018
Sweat shop overloaded with process and cruel leadership that leads by fear and demeans their employees. They pay well, but its not worth it. Find something else.
Great company
Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 13, 2018
It was fun working there until we went into layoff mode. I made it through 5 layoffs before I got the ax. There was lots of room for advancement. All in all a good company.
Productive and Fun Place
Dot Net Developer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 9, 2018
I consider lucky to work with the company, providing exceptional opportunity to learn new technologies. The managers have the flawless operation of where want the company to go. Definitely would recommend for starters looking to make a career in IT.
Very structured and fast-paced
Global Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 3, 2018
A lot of smart people. Very structured and fast-paced. Heavy workload. Must be an excellent communicator. You'd better know your job and know what's going on at your account. The Global Account Manager position is one of the most difficult jobs in the company.
Pros
Excellent pay and good benefits.
Very difficult company to work for. Too much involvement by upper management in low level details.
Production Section Head (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXFebruary 23, 2018
Very challenging company, which is not all bad. I was the first individual hired to manage the production operations for their wafer test area. It had always been under the engineering group, who do not always have production manufacturing efficiency as a goal. We were able to drive many improvements in the cost and efficiency of the area. Later a new plant manager came in, who was very intelligent but had very poor people skills. This eventually made it a very poor environment.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Poor direct management.
Enjoyed working with co workers.
Patent Paralegal Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 14, 2018
Expectations were unreasonable at times. Expectations to work nights and weekends with little or no regard for your personal life.

Learned a great deal while working there.
Can be difficult place to work
Product Engineering Group Lead (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 11, 2018
Long days with communications with different parts of the world.

Very demanding environment with good benefits and pay.

Management culture difficult.
Executive Support
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 21, 2017
Typical start of my day meeting with my executive and planning the day, week and month. Confirm all meetings/locations and all travel plans. My executive provided access to all the equipment, software and any resources needed for me to perform my job and complete all tasks assigned. Had no excuses for not doing my job. Great teamwork in all departments supported.
Smart People and Recovering Management
Worldwide Training Director (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WANovember 10, 2017
Cypress favors the ambitious and family free employee. It is a great place to make quick advancement if you are able to sacrifice much of your personal time as well.

Given the recent CEO change, the slow move toward a more collaborative and sane culture is underway.
Pros
Opportunity, quick exposure to emerging tech, smart employee pool
Cons
recovering toxic and hostile leadership, poor work/life balance