CyraCom Employee Reviews

Don't do it
Over-the-Phone-Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2018
I enjoyed what I did because I was helping people every day with each call. I learned so much from the medical calls alone that I pursued an education to take the course for in-person medical interpretation. Unfortunately, there is a HUGE lack of communication amongst everyone in that company. One person will say one thing about the policies & how they're applied while another person will say something completely different. The supervisor I had was never there; even when he was there, he wasn't there. As a result, I was told to go to the next available supervisor in which, some would help & some would hear what I was saying but then it would just go out the other ear. They expect you to plan ahead every single day that you're scheduled to come into work, knowing that life happens when it does. A typical day there is not being able to take a breath in between calls, not even a sip of water, everything is so scripted that even the clients get upset & when they do, the company comes after you stating that you made the client upset with the overuse of protocols. Key note: everyone is replaceable even though they tell you to your face that you're not. They have trainings going on ALL OF THE TIME & they would much rather do that - continue to pay to have all of these people in training & send some of them, if not all of them, to the floor when their pronunciation is not clear and/or understandable, etc. - rather than take care of the interpreters that have been with the company for a long time & went above & beyond what their job duties were. I could go on & on about everything that's  more... wrong with the company but, I don't have the time to write all of that nor do you have the time to read it all.  less
Pros
401K & Life Insurance
Cons
Lack of humanity, communication & understanding
Fun And Really good place to work for
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2018
Working at cyracom is very fun and you get to learn a lot of new things. It can be tough sometimes because of all the terminology you have to learn. But if you study and work hard, The rewards are worth it.
Good experience but salary is not enough for the work that is done and for the commute that some people including myself have to do.
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  PhxAugust 6, 2018
It is a good job and I enjoy it but the pay is not enough for what we do and the Services we provide especially for people including myself who have to drive and hour+ to get there and go back home everyday.
Good company to work for.
Contract Bengali Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Hamtramck, MIJuly 27, 2018
I was a freelancer.

The Defense Department announced Friday that it has accounted for the first of more than two dozen black aviators known as Tuskegee Airman who went missing in action during World War II.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Less working hours
Unqualified managers, no job security—not for the bright and ambitious
Corporate Position (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 24, 2018
CyraCom tends to promote based on longevity rather than competence. Those who were external hires have since been terminated. High-performers are seen as a threat by long-timers, and are eliminated once they've achieved their short-term objectives. Those who prefer to do as they're told may be promoted. Those who are entrepreneurial and ambitious will most likely be bored, frustrated by the culture, and therefore disengaged with their work.

Middle management positions in corporate tends to be internal hires from the ranks of operations, such as interpreters and trainers. With no management training program, poor communication skills, and weak leadership ability, this incompetence leads newly-promoted middle-managers to feel incompetent and therefore insecure. The result is that their direct reports—who look to them for guidance and leadership—burden the blame and suffer the consequences (ultimately leading to termination).

Middle management doesn't issue written warnings or verbal reprimands to corporate employees. Such employees will be terminated with no notice or chance for improvement. CyraCom tends to find an objectionable action, secretly investigate to build a case for termination, and execute the termination without notice (thereby treating its employees like enemies rather than team members). CyraCom apparently do not believe in building up employees and would rather spend the energy protecting the company from having to pay unemployment insurance.

Any new hires in corporate would do well to thoroughly examine any and all documentation of policies, procedures,
  more... and employee handbooks. Do not sign any paperwork unless you have fully understood everything that you're responsible for knowing. Protect yourself in case you need to file for unemployment. Document everything—emails, phone calls, and meetings. Tip: In many cases, a surprise visit from upper/middle management means that someone is getting fired.  less
Pros
Decent pay for the amount of hours worked
Cons
Inept management and leadership, no job security, little room for advancement, politics and favoritism
Cyradeath
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 21, 2018
This was probably one of the worst jobs I've ever had to deal with in a long time. There is a toxic work environment, the supervisors and quality evaluators are borderline trolls & the pay is horrendous. A typical day is clocking in, reading 150 emails (20 of which are those stupid motivational emails with phrases like "If nothing's going right, go left" with a group of ducks on it), getting yelled at by rude Bank of America employees and customers, taking a 15 min break, working another 2 hrs with jerk Wells Fargo employees that don't speak English, 30 minute lunch and then more emails. Every day is another copy of another day and there's no breaking the cycle. There are a few older Spanish interpreter managers that are extremely rude, bring their negative energy into the office and infect others with their malevolence. They have supervisor/manager titles at the company because they've worked there forever, but there is a real lacking of creative & positive leadership. If you want to gain experience, I guess you have to start somewhere, but this isn't going to be easy at Cyradeath. It's the kind of place where they look down on people that are intelligent, think outside the box and like to have a voice. They prefer their employees silent, non engaged, uncreative and blindly obedient.
Pros
medical coverage
Cons
toxic work environment, rude supervisors and managers, uncompetitive wages, rude clients, ghetto employees
it's a good experience
Chinese interpreter (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 19, 2018
once you get in the job. You can learn a lot of things in different area such as Finance, Medical, Insurance, legal etc.
Knowing a lot of people from different cultures
Opi
OPI Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 18, 2018
Its a stressful job and the pay is low if your a Spanish interpreter. Raises aren't very good, and the quality control people make up things even if their wrong you can't dispute it because your can lose your job.
Pros
sick time and Paid time off
Cons
no flexible schedule
very stressful
Bilingual Spanish - English Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 12, 2018
Working at Cyracom is stressful, this is a high volume call center, but it does offer a lot of knowledge and it helps you grow professionally. The schedules are really flexible.
Pros
flexible schedules, good benefits, knowledge, growth opportunities
Cons
management, stressful work environment, high call volume
very interesting place
Spanish OPI. (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2018
different types of interpreting which made the day go by fast and interesting. Learned about different specialties, Management very helpful and knowledgeable
Pros
calm and relaxed
Cons
short breaks
Nice friendly atmosphere
Over the Phone Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJuly 9, 2018
Great job with good benefits except medical are not that great. Quaterly review give posibilty of raises every 4 months. Managment was great and accomidating.
Underpaid Interpreters
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 4, 2018
I learned a lot at CyraCom, but in my opinion they are underpaying the interpreters, and its a soulsucking job, because you're stuck in a cubicle all day.
Pros
Looks good on the resume.
Cons
Soulsucking
Good job
OPI interpreter (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 1, 2018
Cyracom is a place where you can begin an interpreting career. You get so familiar with all types of terminology & there is room to grow up to a certain extent. But the schedules are flexible & good benefits.
Very stressful and demanding company. Treat interpreters will robots
interpreter (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2018
Higher very young people to train the like robots, Very demanding on the time spent on the phone. Does not provide a professional atmosphere. The training was like being in High school
Searching for a new opportunity
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 26, 2018
It's home working position . I've been working for them since 2013 and I like the company . I need to be working as an employee I'm seeking for benefits .
Call center
Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 23, 2018
You are constantly on the phone. You can barely hear sometimes do to everyone in the building speaking at the same time. The company is very annoying about following strict procedure and they do not reward good work. Supervisors will only help friends or attractive girls. You will answer roughly 40 calls a day and as soon as you hang up on one, another call with come in. Not a good place to work.
Pros
Cons
management, no room for advancement
Good challenge for bilinguals.
Certified Interpreter Spanish (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 20, 2018
You must have a lot of patience, and a good ear. You will need to learn that some consonants and vowels are not easily distinguished over the phone, and you will need to sometimes overcompensate for that loss, especially since most of the time, audio/signal quality will be less than fair.

You should have a good imagination to place yourself in the situation being described, whether it's a nurse at a patient's bedside, or a banker going over financial information with a client.

And in general, know a little bit of everything about everything. Interpretation is not just about replacing words in one language with words in another language; you really do need to know what's going on, in order to interpret. Calls can and will be about anything and everything.
Pros
Clean, calm environment
Cons
Short breaks
Exploitative
spanish interpreter (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 19, 2018
I applied for a position as a Spanish interpreter and did a phone interview. Was offered $10.00 per hour. Average pay in the community is no less than $15.59. Told them not interested. As an independent contractor I can get pay as much as $75 per hour if I do legal interpreting.
n/a
Customer Service - Temporary (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 16, 2018
the pay is good for the cost of living and the commute. it is very competitive and no one helps anyone if you need the help on something. it is dog eat dog environment
Really great company to work with
English-Spanish Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85044June 8, 2018
This is a great company to work for but very far away from my house thats why I had to quit. there is many people from different cultures religions etc.everyone is nice to everyone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CyraCom. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7

2.4Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight