D.R. Horton Employee Reviews

Long hours, very stressful
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 22, 2019
Worked 10-12 hours daily for 2 years, never received a raise, was paid for 40 hours every week. they are turning out unsat homes from the Phoenix Division. I asked for help for 5 months due to the speed of the build and homes not being correct, I was fired for poor organizational skills. The management here does not care about the employees. The mandatory meetings they have are useless nothing ever gets accomplished.
Pros
work close to home when possible
Cons
long hours, low pay, poor management.
Your function will determine your value to the company
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 20, 2019
Since, DR Horton sells homes they focus on their employees that manage homebuilding and sell homes. Any other area is a necessary evil that has to be tolerated. Build a large scale nationwide application that increases sales by 10%? Sales professionals get bonuses and pay raises and recognition and you get nothing. Not even recognition.

This is from an IT perspective. It's been a few years but in 2011-2 the environment was somewhat toxic.
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
in 2011-2 the IT environment was somewhat toxic.
It is what you make it
Area Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 3, 2019
Since it is a publicly traded company, performance is everything. However the stress of working with home buyers in a market where the sub contractors are sub par is very difficult. The job itself is not complicated. Dealing with the stress is a whole different story. This company is not for the thin skinned. You will be yelled at and cussed out over the smallest stuff. The culture however is great. The team and co workers you are with will have your back.
Builder
Builder (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 1, 2019
no advancement or pay raise, worked sun up to sun down company looks at numbers not buyers. I enjoyed making customers happy and see a smile on there face
Benefits
Cons
working all the time
Good management
Title Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 26, 2018
I absolutely love the managers at DR Horton. However, I was in an office away from everyone and just doing scheduling. It was not enough for me. I found another job.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Slow paced
Run from employment for this company.
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 10, 2018
Loaded me down with an impossible number of homes which could not be adequately carried by 1 superintendant. Makes it almost impossible to make bonus. Found out I was looking and fired me 2 weeks before Christmas. If that is the corporate culture you want, then this is your employer.
Challenging but rewarding job
Senior Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GADecember 8, 2018
As a sales associate at DR Horton, I was responsible for marketing and selling homes in my community. It was one of the best places for that to take place.
Pros
Money was good
Cons
Work every weekend
Contract Administrator for housing developer
CONTRACT ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 29, 2018
Maintained relationship with all vendors and accounting department. Created, revised and updated all residential contracts and purchase order for jobs. Initiated start-up billing for all model homes' utility services. The hardest part of the job was the fast-paced environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of accomplishment when finishing tasks.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Long days, multiple tasks, busy work environment.
D.R. Horton is the worst, terrible craftsmanship, cheapest material, born a scam, always a scam
Contractor (Current Employee) –  New Smyrna Beach, FLNovember 28, 2018
Worked for Dr Horton for the past year in New Smyrna Beach FL. Cut throat company, low skill labor, and bottom of the barrel material. Company only cares about quantity, quality is not their concern. My recommendation is don't buy one of these!
Wait for the knife...
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 26, 2018
If your in management and good at your job, it is not if, but when, you will be stabbed in the back by jealous coworkers. Sad because you should be a team, but everyone is out for themselves.
Very productive and a great group of people to work with
Sub Contractor, powerwasher/property cleaner (Former Employee) –  Wylie, TXNovember 8, 2018
a great place to work, good people who are hard-working as well. A steady load of work day to day, the builders are very helpful and proactive by communicating with you directly.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
sometimes long hours
Great National Builder
New Home Sales (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 8, 2018
This company is family owned and takes great care of its employees and home owners! They also allow the employees to send their children on a summer camp with the owner Mr Horton. My son went and had a blast!
Low pay with high expectations
SCFL Division Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 6, 2018
Expected to continue to push the bar higher with increased productivity while compensation lags behind. Difficult to get subs to perform at a high level when their bids are continually pushed down. Do not pay auto or fuel allowance and there are great demands covering wide geographical areas.
Pros
work with you if you are personally buying a home
Cons
Demands too high, compensation too low.
Publicly held company where no matter what you do, they will always ask for more
Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 30, 2018
D.R. Horton is about as typical of a publicly held company as it gets. The numbers handed down from the corporate office are paramount. As a homebuilder you won't find another place where you can garner as much experience in as little time and earn as much bonus money. The people in the division offices are generally good people and I enjoyed my colleagues greatly,There is a tremendous amount of freedom in being able to call your own shots and decide how you want to run your subdivision. but that's about where the positive stops. You will be forced to close homes that are not ready, no matter how fast you build, they will want it faster. Every month they scramble to pull more closings up in order to meet over inflated budget numbers which results and unhappy customers and over worked supers. you will not be promoted past a superintendent unless you have been there for over 15 years and are in good with the current managers. merit doesn't mean a whole lot here, you can be the fastest builder with the lowest amount of warranty and it's likely the slowest guy that builds a terrible home is only paid a little less than you. you will be a number here, they will try to tell you otherwise, but stay long enough and it will be apparent.
Pros
Lots of experience quickly, good pay, good co-workers
Cons
corporate doesn't care about you, the product, or the homeowners, it only cares about the budget
Not a happy place to work, favoritism shown to some,benefits good
New homes sales agent (Former Employee) –  Little River, SCOctober 30, 2018
Started out good and went downhill from there. Micromanaged, treated as if you couldn't make decisions. There were favorites who always got the recognition. Co-workers not very happy but stayed because the money was good. The customers loved their product and the attention they got from agents. Surveys given to customers and agents were blamed for things they didn't have control over, like construction issues or design center issues.Offered good benefits.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
micromanaged, poor management, feedback from employees not used
I loved DR Horton.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Daphne, ALOctober 24, 2018
My typical day at work was normal job duties. I enjoyed my work there, but it was just so far from my home. I happened to find something closer to home, or I would have stayed there.
Pros
People, job, environment.
Cons
Distance from my home.
Good
NEW HOME SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 24, 2018
I enjoyed meeting potential homeowners and finding the needs of their family and matching a home that fits their needs. We were able to customize the colors of their home that made their home feel unique and special to them.
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Vancouver waOctober 17, 2018
Long hours but worth it. Great people to work with. Management does its best to keep you close to home. Occasional free lunches and team building exercises.
Horrific Management
New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 16, 2018
I would never tell anyone to apply to this company, it would be better to starve than go to work for DR Horton!! Or at least under the current self absorbed management team.

Internal strife is actually encouraged, they believe that if you have to fight to make money, you will be more aggressive and not miss out on a sale. The Devision President is a piece of work, he firmly believes that Sales people are lower than scum, and treated us as such, all the way down to changing our commission structure from a shared floor to a competitive one, just to watch the sales team tear each other apart.
Pros
Cons
To many to list
work
SENIOR PURCHASING AGENT (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COOctober 8, 2018
benefits and salary are good, typical day is a typical day. I do not want to post anything else about this on this site. Work is looking up and it is a good place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at D.R. Horton. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight