D.R. Horton Employee Reviews

Very productive and a great group of people to work with
Sub Contractor, powerwasher/property cleaner (Former Employee) –  Wylie, TXNovember 8, 2018
a great place to work, good people who are hard-working as well. A steady load of work day to day, the builders are very helpful and proactive by communicating with you directly.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
sometimes long hours
Great National Builder
New Home Sales (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 8, 2018
This company is family owned and takes great care of its employees and home owners! They also allow the employees to send their children on a summer camp with the owner Mr Horton. My son went and had a blast!
Low pay with high expectations
SCFL Division Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 6, 2018
Expected to continue to push the bar higher with increased productivity while compensation lags behind. Difficult to get subs to perform at a high level when their bids are continually pushed down. Do not pay auto or fuel allowance and there are great demands covering wide geographical areas.
Pros
work with you if you are personally buying a home
Cons
Demands too high, compensation too low.
Publicly held company where no matter what you do, they will always ask for more
Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 30, 2018
D.R. Horton is about as typical of a publicly held company as it gets. The numbers handed down from the corporate office are paramount. As a homebuilder you won't find another place where you can garner as much experience in as little time and earn as much bonus money. The people in the division offices are generally good people and I enjoyed my colleagues greatly,There is a tremendous amount of freedom in being able to call your own shots and decide how you want to run your subdivision. but that's about where the positive stops. You will be forced to close homes that are not ready, no matter how fast you build, they will want it faster. Every month they scramble to pull more closings up in order to meet over inflated budget numbers which results and unhappy customers and over worked supers. you will not be promoted past a superintendent unless you have been there for over 15 years and are in good with the current managers. merit doesn't mean a whole lot here, you can be the fastest builder with the lowest amount of warranty and it's likely the slowest guy that builds a terrible home is only paid a little less than you. you will be a number here, they will try to tell you otherwise, but stay long enough and it will be apparent.
Pros
Lots of experience quickly, good pay, good co-workers
Cons
corporate doesn't care about you, the product, or the homeowners, it only cares about the budget
Not a happy place to work, favoritism shown to some,benefits good
New homes sales agent (Former Employee) –  Little River, SCOctober 30, 2018
Started out good and went downhill from there. Micromanaged, treated as if you couldn't make decisions. There were favorites who always got the recognition. Co-workers not very happy but stayed because the money was good. The customers loved their product and the attention they got from agents. Surveys given to customers and agents were blamed for things they didn't have control over, like construction issues or design center issues.Offered good benefits.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
micromanaged, poor management, feedback from employees not used
I loved DR Horton.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Daphne, ALOctober 24, 2018
My typical day at work was normal job duties. I enjoyed my work there, but it was just so far from my home. I happened to find something closer to home, or I would have stayed there.
Pros
People, job, environment.
Cons
Distance from my home.
Good
NEW HOME SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 24, 2018
I enjoyed meeting potential homeowners and finding the needs of their family and matching a home that fits their needs. We were able to customize the colors of their home that made their home feel unique and special to them.
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Vancouver waOctober 17, 2018
Long hours but worth it. Great people to work with. Management does its best to keep you close to home. Occasional free lunches and team building exercises.
Horrific Management
New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 16, 2018
I would never tell anyone to apply to this company, it would be better to starve than go to work for DR Horton!! Or at least under the current self absorbed management team.

Internal strife is actually encouraged, they believe that if you have to fight to make money, you will be more aggressive and not miss out on a sale. The Devision President is a piece of work, he firmly believes that Sales people are lower than scum, and treated us as such, all the way down to changing our commission structure from a shared floor to a competitive one, just to watch the sales team tear each other apart.
Pros
Cons
To many to list
work
SENIOR PURCHASING AGENT (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COOctober 8, 2018
benefits and salary are good, typical day is a typical day. I do not want to post anything else about this on this site. Work is looking up and it is a good place to work
I wish not to comment
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLSeptember 26, 2018
This company gave me the opportunity to advance my career by teaching me numerous skills in residential production building. Every division has its faults and has room for improvement. Politics always play a huge part in a large company like this, unfortunately. Immediate management plays a large role in every experience at any company. They play an important part in these experiences.
Great company
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 18, 2018
I loved DR Horton. I would have stayed forever but they moved to Corona which was too far from my home. Great culture and environment. Team Work was great as well
Coworkers are great, customers are terrible.
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 27, 2018
Most managers are great, but there is a chance to receive a bad manager that makes it difficult to work. Most days are started with paperwork and reviewing houses. The rest of the time there will be issues with houses that need to be fixed, parking management, scheduling trades, writing purchase orders, picking up trash, helping/doing closings, and customer service for houses that have already closed. The bulk of the stress will come from trades not showing up and the customers misunderstanding the house is a production home, so it will not be perfect. Customers ruin the experience.
Terrible place to work!
New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 24, 2018
Only interested in quantity over quality. The employee doesn’t matter and neither does the customer. They only care about profit margins and meeting sales goals. Lacks good management and leadership. They are constantly changing things to fix what they changed before and still can’t get it right. They’ve had 3 different sales managers in 3 years. Turnover is high! You are expected to achieve unrealistic quotas with little to no help. Not a family oriented company whatsoever. The only positive attribute is being able to help the customer achieve their dream of homeownership.
Pros
Helping customers purchase their dream home.
Cons
Lacks good leadership.
Good company to work for.
Warranty Coordinator/Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 19, 2018
company is good to work for. Offers excellent benefits and compensation. Offices are centrally located. Quarterly bonuses are dispersed. Family friendly work place.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Some managers are not good managers.
Average company
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAJuly 29, 2018
This company is an average company to work for. Driven only by profit and did not put customer service as a priority for the new home owners. Good people worked for the company, but the corporate mission was driven only by quantity and profit.
Productive workplace
Senior Escrow Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJuly 24, 2018
Busy office. Corporate atmosphere but fun to work for. The President and Vice President were good people. The company provides many incentives and rewards their employees.
Pros
Bonuses, competetive salary
Cons
Fluctuates with the real estate market
Endentured Servant
Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  North WestJuly 23, 2018
This company/division in Portland, OR treats you as a number
Steals from subcontractors does not pay, makes your job much harder than it needs to be.
No work/home balance
No loyalty to those that perform, once again a number, and not appreciated.
Management needs to be revamped, constantly changing ideas and process, because they made mistakes and make subcontractors pay for their short falls.
Upper management will use you as an escape goat for blame, if you do not save all conversations.
Hostile work environment, for employees and subcontractors alike.
Would be a great place to work and have a career, if most of the management was replaced with people with integrity, ethics, and a want to build quality homes. Not cutting corners.
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
Balance of work and home, pressure and stress, constant turnover, 90% of new hires have no idea about construction, management treats you like a number
Poor Work Life Balance
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJuly 11, 2018
This place is only about the production of how much gets processed. If you don't meet those levels of what is expected the job isn't for you. There is no work life balance only work.
Great Career
Design Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLJuly 9, 2018
First experience working in a corporate environment.

It had it's pro's & cons but I loved my career with DRH.

I was responsible to oversee the Design Services of the South Florida Region. I designed and built several onsite design studios throughout Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach. I staffed and managed the day to day operations of each including marketing, sales incentives and processes and procedures.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at D.R. Horton. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight