DaDa

• Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Difficult

Very difficult place to work. No workers union. management decision stands. You could be sacked without notice and unnecessary deductions.They needed teachers from China not from Western world.

Pros

working from your home

Cons

Withdrawal of your students without notice and you don’t get paid.

Remote work

When I first started to work for Dada about 3 years ago the company was very stable and hourly wage was very good I was getting paid $18:40 per hour and all teachers would get at least $1 raise every single year, but now things are very different they reduced our pay without teachers consent to $13:40 an hour and there are no more raises.

Pros

Lovely students, constant working hours

Cons

Few years back pay was good but they reduced pay

Pretty awesome

The hours are early and limited but other than that it’s fantastic. Good pay and makes a difference. Good management and company.

Early morning, on your own 1:1 teaching, you set the hours you want to work.

This was a great experience I was teaching with the company for 2 1/2 years and it was great to see the students from K-12 make progress as the days turn into months and then years, youbuild a good student teacher relationship and they are happy that they are making progress in their English Language/speaking learning skills.

Pros

Work from home/remotely, have all day to be with family, run errands

Cons

No benefits

convenient & fun job with very little pay

This was a great opportunity prior to the pandemic. Right now most of the teaching hours are provided for top teachers so if you only have a few students good luck because your pay will be very minimal & they switched up the bonuses whenever they want & they have gone down significantly & my pay since the pandemic has been laughable even though I have some students for 3 years so far & no new students in at least 6 months so my pay sucks. They dock your pay if you miss classes even if it is their fault unless you provide screen shots. Workers have no rights as this company is based in China & your pay is wired to your bank or using an app you can set up. My pay and hours have gone down significantly. Also, the hours are super early as the US is anywhere from 11 to 13 hours behind....Love all of my students so much but the docking of pay rubs me the wrong way. Also, there is not very much support. Only a hotline that is only available early mornings in the US (3am-830am central) or you can email for questions.

Pros

Great work/life balance & you get to meet amazing students & parents

Cons

Pay is docked & the amount of pay & bonuses has gone down significantly.

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

I enjoyed my time there

I really enjoyed the platform they use, payments were always on time, and they were fairly good at communication. Only problem is they havent rehired me, even though I now have more experience. seems a little stupid.

Pros

pay, the platform and the assistance

Cons

not rehiring previous teachers

Highly Disorganized, Underpaid and Unresponsive Staff

Of all the Online ESL companies I have worked for, Dada is the worst. There is such little communication from management. The management does not respond to emails until one or even two weeks after you reach out. Their English is not strong enough to reply to your message. They do understand English well enough, so they do not communicate well at all.The lessons are so clunky and un-engaging. A lot of the work falls on the teacher to make the lesson fun or interesting. It is like someone photo copied a text book from the 1970's and put it up as a powerpoint. That is their platform. It's awful. The kids get so bored. No fun songs, videos or games. Very un-engaging platform for the students. I felt so bad, I often had to create my own lesson so they would stay involved in the lesson. The pay is very low, even for teachers with ESL certification. You can do much better than Dada if you want to teach online!

Cons

Unresponsive. Low Pay. Poor educational software platform.

Overqualified Teachers for Native Speakers Position

First DaDa ask that you have a degree and a TEFL certificate. However, this is only to comply with the Chinese Government requirements, as DaDa must follow the laws. This means that DaDa end up hiring overqualified teachers as native English speakers.This is reflected in the zero-hour contract, low hourly rates and poor quality materials.The materials are extremely poor, often pasted and copied via a scanner. Therefore the print is often minute as are the images. Furthermore, there are numerous errors, poor wording with abstract language, and at the wrong level.Moreover, the beginner level material is often pitched at a native speaking-English child, not a none-native speaking child. This indicates that DaDa have no business to run a company when the people there have no idea what is involved in language learning.Sadly, the parents paying for their children to learn English at Dada are naive to the way language is acquired, and therefore sign up without real insight. This lack of insight on the application of language learning by DaDa, the parents and children, along with the poor materials, means there is a lot of wasted money, while the learners don't progress.In fact the learners are often bored and disengaged from the learning due to poor materials, while many go through the motions, and read the words, but have no reading comprehension skills.This is exhausting and frustrating for the DaDa teachers as well as the learners. Therefore both teachers and learners just go through the motions.This situation is exacerbated by the fact that the student can cancel -

Pros

You can work from anywhere with good Internet.

Cons

They ask for degrees and TEFL certificates, then pay you at an unqualified and on a zero-hour contract, native speaker rate.

The absolute worst option on this planet

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at DaDa is staring at your computer 95% of the time with nobody therePay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at DaDa are patheticJob security and advancementIn terms of job security at DaDa, it doesn't existManagementIn general, managers at DaDa remind me of the mafiaCultureCollaboration with my colleagues at DaDa is nonexistentOverallMy experience working at DaDa was great making an impact on the lives of more than 5,000 children. But the company absolutely sucks

Pros

Nothing, unless you like staring at your computer with nobody there

Cons

Used to be a Wonderful place to work for!!

Dada used be an amazing place to work for! I thoroughly enjoyed and looked forward to teaching my classes! I've been teaching for Dada for over 3 years. Over the course of the last year and a half Dada has managed to force employees into contracts that dont favour the employees (under the guise of increased pay, more students to teach etc.) and create unfavourable conditions that factor into the pay (and reduce it). Anyways now I makes less than 70% of what I used to earn a couple of years ago, my schedule used to be full - now there are many gaps that arent being filled, I was given a pay raise a couple of times when I renewed my contract and with COVID my pay reduced by $2. But I wouldn't encourage any of my friends and family to join because the way Dada has been treating teachers isnt fair and given I've had professional training as a teacher and experience in classrooms for several years I feel undervalued and disrespected! For those wondering why I continue to teach for them - I am not leaving because the handful of kids I teach now I have grown attached to I feel sorry to leave them! If Dada values its teachers I would urge them to show their respect by paying them fairly and what they are truly worth!

Pros

The Kids/Students

Cons

Low Pay, Contract changes, Gaps in Schedule

Going Downhill, quickly

I've been with the company for 4 years. The kids and interface are great. NO complaints on that...What is inadequate:-No administration-teacher communication-Constant contract adjustment (they break contract continuously)-Consistent pay reductions and harsh penalties in case of mishaps, absenteeism or tardiness. -No assistance on any issues whatsoever-Course material is horrible. It used to be good

Pros

Students, can work from home

Cons

Everything else

not paying and not answering

The worst company ever. I have been teaching for 6 years and never have I encountered bigger liars. They created the new "project" a "freetalk project". They hired natives and non-natives only to tell the non-natives after 30 days that they didn't pass the probation saying "we reserve the right not to tell you why you didn't pass the probation". after that, they started firing natives too. We all had great feedbacks and hearts from the students and no negative feedbacks. But we all got fired, and guess what? they are still hiring stating that they want only natives. They hire native speakers only to fire them and hire some more. I guess that their goal was that we do a good marketing for them because the kids were really happy with the teachers, and then fire us, even the natives because after the first month they have to pay you via bank transfer. They are in some deal with TeacherRecord and they pay through them and I guess they avoid paying some fees or law staff by paying through them and not through the bank. that's why the teachers never get to the second payment. No one is answering or helping teachers. over 300 teachers were sending skype messages, mails and not one recruiter, support or anyone from the company answered. If you want help, or if you have the emergency, don't count on help! PAY: they say one price at the interview with the increase, a lower one when you ask about it during the probation and you get even lower than that when they finally pay you. They owe me more than $20, some teachers said they are missing $70. And bonus magically got smaller without -

Pros

students

Cons

all

Great Students but Management could use some help

When I first applied with DaDa in 2018 I really enjoyed working there. Since then, they have restructured their payment scheme and it is not as consistent as before. For example, at the beginning I signed a contract for my working hours and even if I did not have a lesson I still got paid 1/2 my hourly salary. Now though, you are only paid for lessons taught. The students are great and I enjoy that I get an incentive for keeping stable students. I do enjoy the flexibility to change my schedule more now versus signing a contract and having to fulfill it for "X" number of months; however, when lessons are cancelled they are more apprehensive to provide remuneration for these classes. Additionally, with that being said it is difficult to utilize this as a main source of income because even though I have "formal" working hours I do not always have lessons in those blocks.

Pros

Great students

Cons

Management does not compensate for cancelled lesson in a fair manner.

Stay Away From DaDa

I worked with them for over 2 years and things started to go downhill fast. I made a good hourly wage because I had previous experience. In the end they offered all of the teachers $15.00 per hour - well it was not an offer - it was mandated. Simple solution was that I refused the change and quit. My best guess is that they knew that many in the USA were out of work etc. so they took advantage of Covid19. For me personally I taught very part-time and for fun. It was no longer fun like before. Shame on Dada - the students end up losing in the long run.

Pros

Cons

To many to list

The students are usually pretty good in class. About 30 percent cancellation rate! Very High!

Dada has given me the opportunity to learn about the Chinese culture. I started working for Dada in July 2017. My day started about 6am EST and went until 9:08 am. I am a morning person and my day would end early enough in the day that I could do other things. At the time, Dada was offering standby pay. This meant if you scheduled yourself for that time and there was not a student, you got half pay during scheduled hours. They also offered a lot of incentives: bonus for being on time, completing feedback reports in a timely manner, a certain number of classes etc. This was an extra 200 dollars per month on top of your pay. Within the last year, they have gotten rid of all of this and there is no contract anymore. We used to get a 6 month contract. In my experience, there has been about a 30-40% cancellation rate and most of the time there is no subsidy because they only pay you that if the students cancels the lesson. A lot of the cancellations have been that students ask for leave. They used to replace different students with you if one cancelled. Now that does not happen. They also take students from your roster and do not give you a reason. I often wondered if they removed students from your roster to save money by claiming that they were on leave. I now have only 1 student. This is the lowest amount of students that I have ever had. I have deleted all of my open time slots and only kept the 1 student that I have. I think that they are having a difficult time getting and/or keeping students. I am unable to financially handle the massive decrease in students, -

Pros

No Commute, Little Lesson Planning, Great Students!

Cons

Irregular schedule, students leave without notice, lower pay than previously

You wont get paid

The hardest part of the job is that they cut your pay, dont pay on time, fine you, or dont pay you at all. I had to leave due to this problem. Do not get scammed, do not work for this company.

I worked her for a short while and enjoyed the whole process.

A typical day at work would be relaxed and friendly. I do not mean not being prepared, but having staff conversing around the coffee. I find having students taken away withoutexplation.

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Lack of benefits

Great work experience

Great job for remote work. Set schedule to receive clients. Flexible schedule. Great students and 30 minute lessons. My work is enjoyable and fun. Awesome experience to get to work from home.

Scam artists- An unethical company to work for!

When I started with Dada a few years ago, I had a pleasant experience however since Covid-19 Dada has taken advantage of it's teachers, -reduced salaries mid- contract without consent. - Can't apply for leave with-ought incurring huge penalties.(more than you make per day) - Can only apply for leave If you have an apple phone as there is no app available in play store as stated. - You are lucky if you are paid, never mind If they always pay you less than what you have worked. - Always find reasons for deductions - Communication is very poor and you get automated responses not actually answering anything you have asked. - I have informed the company several times that there is no application for leave app, have applied to teacher leave , within the required period and still get charged. Its become a joke of a company and they are now scam artists and completely unethical. - Regardless of your students or how much money you make them, make no mistake, YOU WILL BE DISPOSABLE.

Extremely poor service and false advertising

I was offered a position but then could not login with relevant info. After contacting dada through different mediums i received absolutely no response from them as to why. Very disappointing. Stay away!!

Horrible Company Now

I was with dada for a long time, the beginning was good. Now it is horrible, heavy fines for being sick or tech problems, hardly any bookings. They change the contract so much that you end up making less and less money. They have increased the students course prices but decreased teachers salaries. The staff are like robots, you just get a copy and paste response when you email them. They never pay on time anymore. Lots of teachers are leaving and lots of students are not joining because they have outpriced them selves in the market. There are far better companies. Dada sucks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DaDa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare DaDa with