DaDa Employee Reviews

Great kids if you can cope with no communication from management once you've signed up.
Teacher of English (Former Employee) –  China RemoteDecember 11, 2018
When I was offered a contract in October I was enthusiastic and rearing to go. I spent a considerable amount of money on earphones and a new camera, not mention classroom props and resources. So I sat in front of my computer and I waited, and waited....for 10 shifts nothing happened.

Then they changed some terms and teachers were required to terminate their old contract and re-sign a new one IF they wanted to continue working for DaDa. So I did not sign the new contract. Suddenly, I'm assigned a student. The next thing was that Chinese law had changed to make an additional ESL certification compulsory for teaching in China. I emailed to say I didn't have the certification and wasn't prepared to enrol in their conveniently salary sacrificed course. No response. I emailed a letter of resignation and cc'd it to every person I'd ever had contact with within the company. No response. Suddenly I have another student. Mmm...so I applied for leave giving the reason that I was trying to resign and nobody was listening to me. Got the day off, and 9 more appointments???

I think they may have accepted my resignation because today I seem to be locked out of the teachers portal. I'm going to uninstall the program and I seriously do not expect to be paid for my standby time. Put it down to experience. I feel like I've been living in a Fawlty Towers episode.

The little boy I did teach (in the last week) was delightful. That seems to be the only plus, the kids.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
No communication
Company lacks integrity, communication skills and urgency
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas Valley, NVDecember 4, 2018
My experience is a cautionary tale. I interviewed in September and was given an Oct start date. My start date was delayed because the recruiter took a vacation and neglected to update me. Once I began, I did many trial and Level 0 classes. I was expecting my first paycheck and it never came. Keep in mind that the company only pays out once per month. Essentially, I worked one month for free because I got several different responses for why I went unpaid and each time I was given a new pay date.

In short, it's been nearly two months and I still have not been paid. I took a leave of absence until the issue was rectify yet the company categorized it as absenteeism. Although delays in payment were not apart of the contract apparently many other contracted teachers shared similar concerns.

The company reissued and requested updated and signed contract from employees. Many, like myself, did not sign, Ultimately the company is based in China and does not have a sister office in the U.S. so they are often slow to respond and vague in response. Save your talent, times, and early morning and go with a more respectable company.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Non-payment
Simple job with fair pay
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wellsville, NYDecember 3, 2018
Easy work with fair pay. No commute and little job expense. Difficult language gap sometimes but overall a low maintenance position with little to no extra work required outside of contracted hours.
Pros
no commute
Cons
early morning hours
Don't bother
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 29, 2018
This company is a complete waste of time. There are so many other other options out there, this company did not live up to any promise or agreement they made with me and I found it to be an epic failure.
Terrible Employer!!!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  United StatesNovember 27, 2018
Dada Abc is a HORRIBLE company to work for. The staff can barely speak English themselves and take several days to respond back to emails. The technical support answers are never accurate as each representative provides a different answer. I never had an issue with not receiving pay. Mine cam on the 16th because it is being transferred internationally. I NEVER had any students. I had 1 trial student for 10 minutes! I was ALWAYS on standby. I was late once and receive a warning email and terminated even though their policy states we would receive 3 warnings before termination!! This company lies and does not value its employees, but what can you expect from staff that can barely speak English of their own? While they do pay you half for standby time, the work hours are ridiculous and if you are late even once you WILL be fired even though their contract says otherwise.
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!
Cons
Low pay, terrible staff, false contracts
Pay not worth the effort
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Des Moines IaNovember 21, 2018
I worked for DaDa for a month and a half. I never had any of my own students. I had several trial students and many where I started in the middle of a lesson with no explaination how the student was progressing.
There is NO job training and very little time to prepare for lessons.
When I contacted DaDa about my poor pay, they basically said too bad.
Pros
Worked at home
Cons
Terrible hours and pay
online platform
ESL teacher (Current Employee) –  OnlineNovember 10, 2018
This is an online job. I teach children English online. The job does not give very many working hours, so I need something to supplement my income. This job is also very early in the morning, you have to teach when the children are out of school in China, so early mornings are a requirement.
ESL Teacher Tutor
Teaching and tutoring children (Current Employee) –  ChinaNovember 5, 2018
Teaching children in China the fundamentals of American English. The students are great and fun. The company is unorganized and use a system that is not user friendly.
Summary Dada ABC
Teacher (Current Employee) –  OnlineOctober 21, 2018
You get your schedule as part of your contract. They can change the schedule with only 24 hour notice and if you don't get that notice email, it changes automatically. You connect through their app or website to the interface where you may or may not have students scheduled for 30 minute classes. If you are scheduled and they show up, you get the full pay rate of your contract. If you do not have a class scheduled by them or the student does not show up, you are paid half your contract pay rate. In class, you are face to face through a webcam interface and you have a pretty versatile classroom interface with a Power Point-like program through which you teach the lesson. It is interactive. There is also a chat feature that allows you to chat in English or translate it to Chinese. Most shifts are 1-3 hours and you are 12 hours behind where most students are in China.
Pros
Great pay when you're in class
Cons
Zero training or helpful feedback. There are too many ways to have money deducted from your pay, such accidentally neglecting to log out of a session.
Laid back and the students are great
Tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 21, 2018
There is very little interaction with the supervisors at DAD, when needed, they do help out. There are rewards with the job and they do try to improve their company all of the time, overall, they are a great company to work for.
Great Start into ESL teaching with a forward-moving company
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeOctober 19, 2018
As a contracted teacher at DaDa, they fill in your predetermined time slots with your regular students (who have chosen you as their desired teacher), trial classes with students who have yet to sign up, and fill-in formal classes when the student's teacher could not be present.
The company has regular reviews and surveys on the company itself and their newest services. They are always looking to keep improving the quality of the ESL teaching. And they actually go ahead and make those changes. They care about their teachers. I love that about them.
The downsides would be having last-minute fill-in classes which are hard to prepare for sometimes, having your pay deducted a little bit by taking more than 2 days off in a month and by being late/absent *in addition to* missing what you would have made that day, and minimal initial training (you just watch a handful of videos.)
Salary transfer problem
Teacher (Current Employee) –  China, TXOctober 17, 2018
A U.S.-based teacher can get paid either via bank transfer that costs $29.00 (that comes out of your salary) or via PayPal that, depending on the amount of money you're earning, can be anywhere between $10 - 60!!!

Start using a transfer system that does not charge any commission - such as bank transfer via Payoneer. You've been contacted repeatedly by MANY teachers regarding this but you still continue doing it the way you have been always doing. We (the teachers) do not make that much money and paying $50 every time for a transfer whereas it can (and SHOULD) be free since there are services that do not charge for transferring the money is NOT right. You should care about your teachers more and be more responsive to the serious issues like this one.
We don't Pay Our Staff
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 16, 2018
You work very unsociable hours, starting at 3am some days, other days you start at 6.30pm and do not finish until 6.10am. You have shifts fo between 2- 3 hours, but have 2 hours in between shifts, therefore you are up for 12 hours working on home work submissions and grading the students but then only being paid for the time you clock in, of which will be 8 hours, so you have 4 hours of wasted time where you cannot leave the house or do anything productive for yourself. Once you have acclimatized to these hours and are technically working nights, and being short changed, they will then find excuses to pay you on time or pay you what you are owed. They have shorted my wages by $600 usd. They then play ignorant and will tell you that they have paid you correctly, and profess that for 110 hours work at $17 an hour that you are paid $12500?!!! The Pay day cut off is on the 8th of the month, and you get paid on the 15th of the month however your pay is calculated from the 1st of the month until the 31st of the month, and please note this is in Beijing time. Therefore if you start as I did on the 31st of the Month you may just be paid for an hour or 2, and they will deduct half of that for a trial lesson!! One would assume that if the cut off is on the 8th that perhaps this would be the date you are paid up until if you are paid on the 15th. Then when you are paid on the 15th is not a guarantee, it then depends on how long it will take your bank to process the money!! so possibly 1-5 days later, and then once you have waited that duration of time you will then have to fight for what  more... you have earned as they will try to rip you off at least 1 /3 of your wages. I wasn't impressed. what do you do when china does't pay you your wages!!!! Is there a protocol for that!!! NOT WORTH THE HASSLE  less
Pros
you can work from home
Cons
Don't rely on being Paid
Enjoyable work
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE TEACHER ONLINE (Current Employee) –  onlineOctober 12, 2018
The hours are very early but working with the kids is very enjoyable. The company really seems to try to be there for their teachers in my experience. Good place to work.
Pros
work from home, set your own hours
Cons
current bonus/rewards structure
Great At Home Job
Teacher (Current Employee) –  At homeOctober 10, 2018
If you want a work from home job here it is. You get the opportunity to set your own hours/schedule when you get hired on with DaDa.

I love working with the kids. You get a lot of one on one with your regular students you see every week. You also get the opportunity to teach shorter classes to other children who have interest in joining DaDa.
The courseware is laid back and you can add in outside learning tools such as flash cards, books, puppets, white boards for drawing pictures, and so much more! I find that to be wonderful since I am an out side of the box type of thinker. We get to be extra creative with the kids to help them learn.

The pay is nice as well. They advertise between $14-$25 an hour. That’s more than I’ve ever made at a regular day job without busting my back & neck with overtime hours. So this is for sure a step up for me personally.

CS can be difficult to contact at times I will admit. Things can get lost in translation, but that is to be expected when working for a foreign company. It’s never been anything so urgent I couldn’t take care of or hasn’t gotten taken care of within a timely manner. CS is very helpful they have always answered all my questions or put me in the right direction to get the answers to my questions.
Pros
Work from home, pay, easy, laid back, relaxed
Cons
Early hours
Awesome Place
English Instructor (Current Employee) –  HomeSeptember 25, 2018
This place is great. Working from home is an amazing way to get away from the work place which is highly stressful. My day was get up every morning at about 5:45 and start at 6:00 Am then work until 9:12. For not having an ESL or teaching experience except with my 10 year old this was great. I learned that the company was amazing and all the bad reviews were not true. Yes you can only take off 2 days a month or your penalized. Most jobs are like that anyways. The culture is set in China so there you have it. I love this company so much! The hardest part is waking up early. I love all the part time you can pick up on the weekends or even later into the night. I love the extra part time. I had a problem with pay one time and it was my fault. They gave it all back.
Pros
Free ESL
Cons
Early hours
Convenient
Online English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeSeptember 19, 2018
Working from home is the best aspect of the job. Management is easy to reach and responsive but they're English might not be the best, so communication can sometimes be strained.

I didn't like that we had to write long student reviews on our own time(unpaid). If that were to change than this job would be perfect.
Good company
Online English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CASeptember 19, 2018
The interview process was straight forward based on experience. I had to display my skills by teaching a mock class which was very beneficial in seeing where I need to improve with my students.

Kids and classes are super fun. I like that DaDa arranges classes for me versus having to always wait for someone to pick me as a teacher

However the communication seems to be really hard. CS is always hard to reach.
Pros
Kids are fun
Cons
communication
Unethical company.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  OnlineSeptember 13, 2018
Teaching English online to young Chinese children. Classes can be fun. Communication with the company is awful and their policies are so strict that you can end up losing a lot of money.
Pros
The salary is good, but unpredictable. The classes are prepared for you.
Cons
Unfair company that do not value their teachers, does not treat employees well, a lot of the classes have errors or are excruciatingly brainwashing and boring, you are deducted money even if you are ill, have no holidays unless you lose 10% of your months salary.
It's an ok company
Teacher of English (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 11, 2018
I like working at dada. They are fair and it does not matter what color you are they will give you classes. It is better to have teacher certification. Customer service is very hard to get in contact with at times.
Pros
the children and they are reliable.
Cons
customer service is slow, getting up in the morning.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DaDa. Our community is ready to answer.