DaDa Employee Reviews

Summary Dada ABC
Teacher (Current Employee) –  OnlineOctober 21, 2018
You get your schedule as part of your contract. They can change the schedule with only 24 hour notice and if you don't get that notice email, it changes automatically. You connect through their app or website to the interface where you may or may not have students scheduled for 30 minute classes. If you are scheduled and they show up, you get the full pay rate of your contract. If you do not have a class scheduled by them or the student does not show up, you are paid half your contract pay rate. In class, you are face to face through a webcam interface and you have a pretty versatile classroom interface with a Power Point-like program through which you teach the lesson. It is interactive. There is also a chat feature that allows you to chat in English or translate it to Chinese. Most shifts are 1-3 hours and you are 12 hours behind where most students are in China.
Pros
Great pay when you're in class
Cons
Zero training or helpful feedback. There are too many ways to have money deducted from your pay, such accidentally neglecting to log out of a session.
Great Start into ESL teaching with a forward-moving company
Online ESL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeOctober 19, 2018
As a contracted teacher at DaDa, they fill in your predetermined time slots with your regular students (who have chosen you as their desired teacher), trial classes with students who have yet to sign up, and fill-in formal classes when the student's teacher could not be present.
The company has regular reviews and surveys on the company itself and their newest services. They are always looking to keep improving the quality of the ESL teaching. And they actually go ahead and make those changes. They care about their teachers. I love that about them.
The downsides would be having last-minute fill-in classes which are hard to prepare for sometimes, having your pay deducted a little bit by taking more than 2 days off in a month and by being late/absent *in addition to* missing what you would have made that day, and minimal initial training (you just watch a handful of videos.)
Salary transfer problem
Teacher (Current Employee) –  China, TXOctober 17, 2018
A U.S.-based teacher can get paid either via bank transfer that costs $29.00 (that comes out of your salary) or via PayPal that, depending on the amount of money you're earning, can be anywhere between $10 - 60!!!

Start using a transfer system that does not charge any commission - such as bank transfer via Payoneer. You've been contacted repeatedly by MANY teachers regarding this but you still continue doing it the way you have been always doing. We (the teachers) do not make that much money and paying $50 every time for a transfer whereas it can (and SHOULD) be free since there are services that do not charge for transferring the money is NOT right. You should care about your teachers more and be more responsive to the serious issues like this one.
We don't Pay Our Staff
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 16, 2018
You work very unsociable hours, starting at 3am some days, other days you start at 6.30pm and do not finish until 6.10am. You have shifts fo between 2- 3 hours, but have 2 hours in between shifts, therefore you are up for 12 hours working on home work submissions and grading the students but then only being paid for the time you clock in, of which will be 8 hours, so you have 4 hours of wasted time where you cannot leave the house or do anything productive for yourself. Once you have acclimatized to these hours and are technically working nights, and being short changed, they will then find excuses to pay you on time or pay you what you are owed. They have shorted my wages by $600 usd. They then play ignorant and will tell you that they have paid you correctly, and profess that for 110 hours work at $17 an hour that you are paid $12500?!!! The Pay day cut off is on the 8th of the month, and you get paid on the 15th of the month however your pay is calculated from the 1st of the month until the 31st of the month, and please note this is in Beijing time. Therefore if you start as I did on the 31st of the Month you may just be paid for an hour or 2, and they will deduct half of that for a trial lesson!! One would assume that if the cut off is on the 8th that perhaps this would be the date you are paid up until if you are paid on the 15th. Then when you are paid on the 15th is not a guarantee, it then depends on how long it will take your bank to process the money!! so possibly 1-5 days later, and then once you have waited that duration of time you will then have to fight for what  more... you have earned as they will try to rip you off at least 1 /3 of your wages. I wasn't impressed. what do you do when china does't pay you your wages!!!! Is there a protocol for that!!! NOT WORTH THE HASSLE  less
Pros
you can work from home
Cons
Don't rely on being Paid
Enjoyable work
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE TEACHER ONLINE (Current Employee) –  onlineOctober 12, 2018
The hours are very early but working with the kids is very enjoyable. The company really seems to try to be there for their teachers in my experience. Good place to work.
Pros
work from home, set your own hours
Cons
current bonus/rewards structure
Great At Home Job
Teacher (Current Employee) –  At homeOctober 10, 2018
If you want a work from home job here it is. You get the opportunity to set your own hours/schedule when you get hired on with DaDa.

I love working with the kids. You get a lot of one on one with your regular students you see every week. You also get the opportunity to teach shorter classes to other children who have interest in joining DaDa.
The courseware is laid back and you can add in outside learning tools such as flash cards, books, puppets, white boards for drawing pictures, and so much more! I find that to be wonderful since I am an out side of the box type of thinker. We get to be extra creative with the kids to help them learn.

The pay is nice as well. They advertise between $14-$25 an hour. That’s more than I’ve ever made at a regular day job without busting my back & neck with overtime hours. So this is for sure a step up for me personally.

CS can be difficult to contact at times I will admit. Things can get lost in translation, but that is to be expected when working for a foreign company. It’s never been anything so urgent I couldn’t take care of or hasn’t gotten taken care of within a timely manner. CS is very helpful they have always answered all my questions or put me in the right direction to get the answers to my questions.
Pros
Work from home, pay, easy, laid back, relaxed
Cons
Early hours
Awesome Place
English Instructor (Current Employee) –  HomeSeptember 25, 2018
This place is great. Working from home is an amazing way to get away from the work place which is highly stressful. My day was get up every morning at about 5:45 and start at 6:00 Am then work until 9:12. For not having an ESL or teaching experience except with my 10 year old this was great. I learned that the company was amazing and all the bad reviews were not true. Yes you can only take off 2 days a month or your penalized. Most jobs are like that anyways. The culture is set in China so there you have it. I love this company so much! The hardest part is waking up early. I love all the part time you can pick up on the weekends or even later into the night. I love the extra part time. I had a problem with pay one time and it was my fault. They gave it all back.
Pros
Free ESL
Cons
Early hours
Convenient
Online English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeSeptember 19, 2018
Working from home is the best aspect of the job. Management is easy to reach and responsive but they're English might not be the best, so communication can sometimes be strained.

I didn't like that we had to write long student reviews on our own time(unpaid). If that were to change than this job would be perfect.
Good company
Online English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CASeptember 19, 2018
The interview process was straight forward based on experience. I had to display my skills by teaching a mock class which was very beneficial in seeing where I need to improve with my students.

Kids and classes are super fun. I like that DaDa arranges classes for me versus having to always wait for someone to pick me as a teacher

However the communication seems to be really hard. CS is always hard to reach.
Pros
Kids are fun
Cons
communication
Unethical company.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  OnlineSeptember 13, 2018
Teaching English online to young Chinese children. Classes can be fun. Communication with the company is awful and their policies are so strict that you can end up losing a lot of money.
Pros
The salary is good, but unpredictable. The classes are prepared for you.
Cons
Unfair company that do not value their teachers, does not treat employees well, a lot of the classes have errors or are excruciatingly brainwashing and boring, you are deducted money even if you are ill, have no holidays unless you lose 10% of your months salary.
It's an ok company
Teacher of English (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 11, 2018
I like working at dada. They are fair and it does not matter what color you are they will give you classes. It is better to have teacher certification. Customer service is very hard to get in contact with at times.
Pros
the children and they are reliable.
Cons
customer service is slow, getting up in the morning.
Worked hard for little pay
Second Language Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 24, 2018
The typical day was waking up at 530, teaching at 6am until 9 am with zero breaks. The students would randomly not show up to class and would be in loud places which made teaching pointless for half an hour.
Pros
only needed a computer
Cons
poor student management tools
Students are fun, but pay does not compensate
English Teacher (ESL) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2018
Dada ABC is not a bad job if you are not a certified teacher. However, if you have a lot of teaching experience and want to teach online, there are many other companies that compensate more for your time. They advertise that they will pay anywhere from $15-$26/hour. I have my masters degree in education as well as 9 years of teaching experience and they started me off at $18/hour.

I agreed because you do not have to do the lesson prep. However, you do have to write a 150-word review after every single class. This will then be reviewed and take up to 5 days for them to review. If you do not have 150 words to say you have to make things up just to hit the word count. This will take at least 10 minutes per class. If you are like me and teach 6 classes, it can take up to another hour just to write your reviews. I do not mind reviews, however, there are other companies who require a student review that takes 2 minutes. You are also required to assign homework and review that homework. Even if you feel the student does not need homework it must be assigned.

They also have assessment days. On these days you have to do a test, which is fine. However, sometimes it takes students 10 minutes to do the test. And you have to teach the other 20 without any materials or being allowed to use any of the pens, or virtual classroom material.

I also think the classroom material is horrible. They did not put any effort into making their classes engaging. And expect you to create extra material for their horrible classes.

Like I said if you are just graduating from college and need
  more... a part-time job, or do not have teaching experience and want this to be a good first step. I think it is a fine job. But if you are a teacher. Do not waste your time. I would teach with I Tutor Group, Magic Ears or Viva Ling.  less
Great Company with Future Advancement
Online English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 27, 2018
If you have not yet applied to work with DaDaAbc you do not know what you are missing! This is a wonderful place to work, with very flexible hours. I totally recommend this place to anyone wanting to work in a positive up building environment.
Pros
Great Hourts
Cons
HealthCare/ Hours
This is a review about DaDaABC
Teacher (Former Employee) –  China .July 19, 2018
This is a good company to work for. I would only leave t o work full time. They only offer part-time work.

My experience at DaDa has been very positive. You do have to work hard but there is support and you can join DaDa on Facebook. They do a lot of research for the company and they pass on their results to employees. So we get a lot of helpful information. There are training videos you do have to watch. You also need to demonstrate that you put the video's information into practice in teaching your students..

Management is very professional. They make their rules and regulations very clear and expect a high level of professionalism from their teachers. They are very thoughtful and thorough. They expect a lot from their teachers but they give you the environment which is very positive and dynamic to work in. They use great programming to schedule your classes and they do allow you time off if you have a good reason. They do take some of your salary if you take more than two day off s before your first year. After the first year they begin to give you paid time off.

The students are a joy to teach. Again, you have to work hard to help the students learn the information. You have to use educational materials and props to make the lessons positive and helpful to the students.. You have to be creative and use what will be specifically helpful. to each student every lesson.

The students bring their own ideas and knowledge to the classroom.
It is the teacher's job to help bring out these experiences and enhance the learning experience. You have to do a good job
  more... to keep the children happy and to establish a positive and rewarding learning experience. You have to work hard to teach the language. You have to be quick,alert informed but there is a lighter side. Doing projects with the students is fun. They sometimes tell jokes. They are fun,funny and entertaining at times.

In summery, the company is overall a very good company to work for. You get a lot of support and a lot of information to use while you teach. You also get a lot of information about the company and the Chinese people who bring their children to learn English. The
Chinese culture is beautiful and expansive. You get to teach students with varied experiences and who are very interesting. You have to know the English language well and you need to be willing to work hard. If you do this you are rewarded with students who learn English. It is very rewarding to see the children go from not speaking any English to speaking English well.

I have great respect for the company,the parents and the children. They are kind, polite, pleasant and very hardworking. It is a n honor to work with such lovely people. They demand a lot but are very responsive and thoughtful. They are also very friendly and engaging. I would love to visit China and travel throughout the country.

America does a lot of business in China. We buy so many things from them. We have good international relations with them.l That makes it very rewarding to work for the company.
Pros
friendly people who work hard with you and who make clear their expectations.
Cons
very strict rules that can not be ignored or taken lightly..
Easy and comfortable
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  IowaJuly 10, 2018
Loving the job so far. The job is easy, I don't need to make my own lesson plans. Outside of contracted hours, I can choose my own additional hours on a weekly basis.
The only con by far is communication.Talking to someone at the company became even harder since the removal of coordinators.
Pros
Lots of bonuses and incentives available.
Cons
No fulltime opportunity here.
Online Eel teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2018
This is a part time teaching assignment. It is very agreeable with wonderful students. The lessons are preloaded. You have no control over the lessons chosen, which is a bit of a problem sometimes. There is NO CHANCE of full time hours at this job. The most you will work is 3-4 hours a day. There are other weekend hours available but very hard to schedule. You are on contracted hours, so getting time off is cumbersome and difficult. However, the students are best part of this job! They are eager learners and very hardworking. Some of them have terrific personalities making the lesson fun!
Pros
decent pay, online, great students
Cons
part time only, contracted hours, no paid time off at all
Bread winning mama
Part time teacher (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 4, 2018
I started teaching with Dadaabc last fall after signing up with another big company but not receiving any actual classes. I now have almost 20 students that I meet with every week, lovely children (for the most part xD). The beauty is I get to work early in the morning and am done with the work day in time to send my kids off to school. I get two weeks off per contract period, and am allowed to miss up to two days of classes per month. They are strict on attendance, but I didn't sign up with the intention of skipping classes, I wanted to actually teach! I was having trouble receiving bookings with the previous company and read that teachers with Dadaabc had better luck receiving long-term bookings, so I made the switch.
I still get paid half my hourly rate if a student doesn't book my class, which is better than a poke in the eye.
Early hours were rough to begin with, but I feel such accomplishment knowing I've already won big bacon before most people get to their offices!
Pros
Working in pjs (bottoms at least), lovely kids for the most part
Cons
Customer service is often hard to reach
Definitely would not recommend
Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  OregonJune 29, 2018
After working with DaDa for 6 months, I had to give up. The scheduling of classes was irregular - some days I had students but many I did not (and if you don't teach, you don't get paid).
The platform had frequent glitches and IT was slow to respond to requests for help.
The coordinators (customer service) never responded to requests or if they did it was many days later.
The kids were great but the management of this company leaves much to be desired. There are much better companies to work for out there.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits
Amazing Company
Teacher (Current Employee) –  North HollywoodMay 22, 2018
Since I worked with DaDa my experience have been great.
Kids are amazing.
I'm a morning person, the early hours don't bother me at all.
Instead of getting to know different students, I have regular students to meet every week.
There are penalties for absence, but they try not to give deductions,
They have all kinds of bonuses as well.
Pros
Decent pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DaDa. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about