Dairy Farmers of America, Inc. Employee Reviews

A day in the life of Dairy Farmers of America
Administrative Specialist/Customer Quality (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 4, 2019
A typical day for me at Dairy Farmers of America started with Accounts payable, answering emails from internal and external customers. Creating Certificates of Conformance, getting signed and back to the customer. Creating PO's for Directors. Checking, ordering and putting away supplies. Helped out the Quality department as needed with customer or plant requests. Taking care of getting and sending out updated Halal and Kosher certificates. I enjoyed helping customers and coworkers with their needs, getting many items/projects done as they came up.
Pros
Great benefits and worked with supportive people.
Cons
Being laid off due to duplication of jobs since merging with DairiConcepts.
cheese processor
Cheese Processor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, WIJanuary 28, 2019
Management sucked all they care is about themselves.. Bad place to work for didn't care about there employees. Don't. work here you will hate it. They took money for the town to employ more people and better equipment so they stay but all they did was pocketed the money and closed.
Pros
Cons
everything
Bad hours
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Fallon, NVJanuary 22, 2019
The hours here are really bad, going off of a 2 week schedule instead of set days that you work every day. Monday-Tuesday is a shift, Wednesday-Thursday is a shift, and Friday-Sunday is a shift, causing you to feel like you never have any personal time, or family time. Every two months you flip from nights to days, even if you and your opposite would rather keep the same shift. The only redeeming factor the plant has is the pay is decent, for the area, not for the work being done.
Pros
Salary is ok for the area
Cons
Constantly exhasted
Financially and Labor Equal pay: Terrible Managment
Powder Room Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Goshen, INJanuary 19, 2019
I worked as a Third Shift, Powder Room Senior Operator.

I was first hired as a Second Shift Seasonal Employee, and within two weeks was told different stories by multiple managers, and was ASKED if I wanted to come to thirds, and when I said wasn't interested, I was then forced by "either switch to third shift, or you don't have a job."

So, I switched to third shift, having been told by the Terrible Third Shift manager, that if I switched, I would be granted to the Powder Room position. (A contract Job that only a Union Contracted Employee can do, for specific pay). I switched to Third Shift, and was put in the Powder Room Position, but was not granted the position, and not compensated for the work I was doing. I made $15 an hour, doing a CONTRACTED JOB, that paid $20.18 and hour. Now, my union Steward, who was supposed to look out for the benefit of the workers and the Contract, did nothing to help, and aided the Management in allowing them to do what they were doing,

Finally, after being fed up with the situation, I was finally awarded the Position of Powder Room, after 2 months of not being paid, and I still wasn't given full pay for the job, because I had to now be "fully qualified" which, logic dictates, I should have had to be qualified to do the job in the first place. I took the test, passed, because I had been doing the job now for over 2 months, better than the other third shift workers of the powder room, and the Manager refused to turn in my qualification for 2 Pay periods, causing me to miss out on even more pay. Again, where the Union Steward should
  more... have stepped in, they did not (3rd shift Union Steward).

After Four Months, I was finally in the position I was promised from day one, and finally at the pay I should have been making the whole time. Now, I am working 7 days a week, no days off. There is absolutely no work life balance.

The Management from Top down at the Goshen Plant, is Ignorant, to say the least. The Plant manager has no idea how operations work, and makes uninformed decisions based on what his management tells him is going on, which, the Third Shift Manager specifically, did not even know what was going on in our department, as my Partner was never doing his job, falsifying paperwork, skipping vital tests, and not following his job duties. So, the Plant manager takes the word of Management who doesn't even know what is going on in the plant to make decisions that has a direct impact on our jobs. It is frustrating to say the least.

Now, Third Shift Manager Specifically, shows favoritism to female employees first, then to the people he personally likes, second. An employee who had pointed out multiple times, still held her job, and moreso was awarded unearned time off all the time, plus able to jump from Bid job to Bid Job, without following proper Contract procedure, and it was kept as not public information, until the Grievance time had passed so there was nothing to be done about it. Then, in other circumstances where two employees would perhaps mess up in the same way, one employee would get a verbal warning, and the other get a Suspension.

DO NOT GET ON THEIR BAD SIDE, BECAUSE THEY WILL LOOK FOR EVERY REASON TO GET RID OF YOU. But, as a disclaimer, you are protected by a contract and a Union who will fight for you, but I highly suggest you learn your contract on your own, and do not expect anyone to help you, until it goes directly to the Union Steward. THE MANAGERS DO NOT FOLLOW CONTRACT. So, as an employee you have every right to Grieve and fight situations, but, be warned, once you do, and specifically if you win, you will "Have a target on your back. WE are watching you like a hawk now."

Now, the PROS!
The pay for work done! You are decently compensated for the work you do.
The Benefits! Amazing benefits. (Wait, this is because of the union not DFA...)

In total, the Job itself Is not hard. They have the potential to work you 7 days a week, with no time off. The management is ignorant, and do not care for their employees. You do get paid well. If it is something you think you can get past, it is worth the money, but once you speak your mind and hold someone accountable to the contract they legally signed, and you WIN, just be careful, you will have a huge target on your back,
Pros
Pay, (Benefits, but that comes from UNION not DFA)
Cons
7 days a week schedule, Terrible Managment, No Accountability
Good Company overall to work for.
Master Operations Technician (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAJanuary 14, 2019
DFA is a good place to work. Work is easy and rewarding. I've learned a ton of information regarding Manufacturing Operations in my time with the company. The Hardest part of the job is the lack of recognition for Seniority in the plant. The most enjoyable part are all the great fellow employees I have had the privilege to work with over the time I have been with the company. They are like a second family.
Pros
Free Lunches/ Holiday gifts, Safe clean work environment/Vacation time
Cons
Attendance policy, Lack of recognition for Seniority for Shift preference or promotion, Sick Time
Bad place to work
EVAPORATOR OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Hughson, CAJanuary 11, 2019
Management of company was unprofessional, uncertified, and under qualified. No one followed safe food practicing procedures and it was an unhappy work environment
Pros
Close to home, ok pay
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnsboro, TXJanuary 3, 2019
DFA is a great employer. The dairy COOP provides farmers an organized way to market their product ensuring stability in the market. Employees know they work for the farmers and enjoy their work.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Limited retail opportunities
Too hectic, not enough money, management is incompetent
Washbay Foreman (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 21, 2018
Management runs things without listening to more experienced employees. Happy to run good employees off to fuel their "vision". Don't say no, either. They don't like that. They like to panic and dump work on employees.
Pros
Lots of vacation and benefits
Cons
Management and culture
split/rotating shifts become chaotic
cheese packager (Former Employee) –  New Wilmington, PA 16142December 12, 2018
Seen favoritism and racism when it came down to job advancement and shift preference. No concept for spacing out the breaks (which are limited at best). If you want no home life or rest then this is the place for you. 12 hour shifts are the norm.
Pros
ability for overtime
Cons
too much mandatory overtime
Okay
Technician Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Adrian, MIDecember 5, 2018
Depends on your position; pay is a little on the low side compared to other locations within the cooperation. They do provide you with the equipment needed to get the job done.
customer service
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 30, 2018
great place to work if I could get back there I would in a heart beat so relaxed no stress just do your job and everybody was wonderful. just a good j
Pros
best place to work
Cons
no cons
Not a very pleasent place to work or relocate to
QA Supervisor & Compliance II (Former Employee) –  Fallon, NVNovember 28, 2018
Though I had the opportunity of a life time. After 45 days discovered I was only there to meet a quota. My manager wanted me to do something very unethical and was fired for it.
A Great Place to Work That Encourages Inclusiveness & Growth
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PANovember 21, 2018
DFA is a wonderful environment that has helped me grow my skills and resume tremendously. They have taught me many skills about teamwork and communication I would have never thought to use. The environment is also a positive one and the management team works tirelessly to ensure their employees are happy. The management team spends weeks planning catered events and outside sponsored activities to and bring everyone together and their efforts show in the high morale among the team. Management works as hard as they can to help all of their employees succeed and they try to promote from within, rather than letting anyone fail. It is a great place to work and I'm very happy to be here!
Pros
Great management, great benefits, free events, free holiday lunches, great team culture, great schedule
No work life balance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Garden City, KSNovember 8, 2018
You will live at the plant and sacrifice and perform but at the end of the day it means nothing. If you upset the wrong person you might as well start looking for another job. Hostile work environments, political struggles and meeting to have meetings to go over meetings are a plenty.
Pros
Cons
They don't care about their people.
Good Company
Warehouse Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAOctober 29, 2018
Good Company to work for. Offers great benefits and retirement. Excellent employees to work with. Make the day go faster. Training and management could use some improvement.
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
management
Good place to start my financial life
Operator (Current Employee) –  New Wilmington, PAOctober 18, 2018
Did the same thing every day nothing ever changes
Never really could contact the management
Paid training
Got a forklift certification
Job required a lot of physical strain
Office Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hughson, CAOctober 14, 2018
Closed Plant. Learned SAP. Learned about invoicing, two way radio, scheduling and pricing. Transportation and working with brokers. Learned California pricing.
Dreary and Stressful work environment for most
N/A (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAOctober 14, 2018
Overall, DFA Ventura is a high school like environment with the upper "management" team and with certain entitled team members on the floor. Some members of the management team are immature, negative and horrible with communication. Whether it is lack there of or verbally (tone). There are TOO many fires to fight to help the company (that location) move forward. Although there is one Manager that is desperately trying. Most Supervisors have learned to just try and keep all interactions to a minimum so they goes as fast as possible. The plant is inconsistent with follow-ups and plays favorites with the hourly, Sups and Management team. It is understandable that disciplinary action is difficult to administer at times. However, the inconsistencies are noticeable and often discussed on the floor and between shifts. Some have given up on coaching their team on certain issues due to lack of support.
You learn how to perform your job and daily tasks (mostly learn as you go). However, there is minimal if any professional growth. There is significant turnover with Supervisors and Managers every year. After a few more shake ups, there may be a good team in place.
Pros
The work schedule for the hourly and most of the Supervisors. And, the possibility of making new genuine friends.
Cons
Rare "good jobs" to the team. There is not an official recognition program, Horse and Pony show before all Corporate visits
Great compensation & benefits for entry level
Quality Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 13, 2018
This position offers good benefits and good pay. Within the first 6 months you should have an opportunity to obtain certification, which will look good on your resume and give you the chance to get a raise. I worked in an office with very fun and kind coworkers. DFA definitely wants you to grow within the company, although it may require relocation.
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
Work holidays and rotating weekends
Fun place to work
Lead Foreman / Plant Production (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 23, 2018
DFA is a good company and has great benefits. The people that work their a fun and enjoyable. Its a team work environment and they all work together to accomplish the same goals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dairy Farmers of America, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

1.9Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight