Dairy Farmers of America, Inc. Employee Reviews

Office Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hughson, CAOctober 14, 2018
Closed Plant. Learned SAP. Learned about invoicing, two way radio, scheduling and pricing. Transportation and working with brokers. Learned California pricing.
Dreary and Stressful work environment for most
N/A (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAOctober 14, 2018
Overall, DFA Ventura is a high school like environment with the upper "management" team and with certain entitled team members on the floor. Some members of the management team are immature, negative and horrible with communication. Whether it is lack there of or verbally (tone). There are TOO many fires to fight to help the company (that location) move forward. Although there is one Manager that is desperately trying. Most Supervisors have learned to just try and keep all interactions to a minimum so they goes as fast as possible. The plant is inconsistent with follow-ups and plays favorites with the hourly, Sups and Management team. It is understandable that disciplinary action is difficult to administer at times. However, the inconsistencies are noticeable and often discussed on the floor and between shifts. Some have given up on coaching their team on certain issues due to lack of support.
You learn how to perform your job and daily tasks (mostly learn as you go). However, there is minimal if any professional growth. There is significant turnover with Supervisors and Managers every year. After a few more shake ups, there may be a good team in place.
Pros
The work schedule for the hourly and most of the Supervisors. And, the possibility of making new genuine friends.
Cons
Rare "good jobs" to the team. There is not an official recognition program, Horse and Pony show before all Corporate visits
Great compensation & benefits for entry level
Quality Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 13, 2018
This position offers good benefits and good pay. Within the first 6 months you should have an opportunity to obtain certification, which will look good on your resume and give you the chance to get a raise. I worked in an office with very fun and kind coworkers. DFA definitely wants you to grow within the company, although it may require relocation.
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
Work holidays and rotating weekends
Fun place to work
Lead Foreman / Plant Production (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 23, 2018
DFA is a good company and has great benefits. The people that work their a fun and enjoyable. Its a team work environment and they all work together to accomplish the same goals.
Maintenance Technician
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Schulenburg, TXSeptember 18, 2018
A typical day as a maintenance technician was a non stop day. You stayed constantly moving on the production line repairing anything that stopped the line. Bi-weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, and Annually Preventative maintenace schedules were performed on production line equipment to include, x-ray machines, conveyors, cook stations, O-zone machines, cappers, labelers, and video jets.
Run Run Run
Highly skilled, educated professional (Current Employee) –  Schulenburg, TXSeptember 9, 2018
The job was blown up to be something it isn’t. Haven’t been able to perform my duties as they were prescribed. The facility is so rundown that accountability is impossible yet the management still holds you responsible to run a million dollar facility when you have a one hundred thousand dollar facility.

Finger pointing and blame is the norm. Stay away from this place, just s soon as I find something I’m outta here.
Pros
Getting paid
Satisfying
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Hughson, CASeptember 3, 2018
typically 8 hour shift however there are times where overtime is required where you may be working 12 hour shifts for up to 5 days.
I typically stay to myself, clock in do my job and clock out.
Pros
DFA takes care of their employees
Cons
HR communication with HQ is at times difficult
Lousy/Time Wasted. Advise Extreme Caution. Looks good on paper but horrible for your health.
Filler Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PASeptember 1, 2018
This place was suppose to be my home. I started as a full time employee. My attitude was way more then just doing a good job. My ambition was to go above and beyond. But management wore that down to the nub. Management plus the supervisors made it really hard to do your job. Especially since they had a high turnover rate. There is no trust and little patients. The plant manager makes promises he can't keep and procedures that are only enforced when convenient.
If you have thick skin and can appreciate the fact that you're just another number, then this job is for you. But I wouldn't recommend this oblivious opportunity for someone who has a high strung spirit. All you'll receive in return is uncertainty, and unnecessary stress. But like a lot of things in life, we all must do what we gotta do. But after this experience, I choose never to compromise my sanity ever again. Please do your research before entering this stressful work environment. Good luck....
Pros
Breaks and days off.
Cons
Poor management. Culture is cut throat.
Dairy Farmers is the BEST job EVER!
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 31, 2018
If you like working with the most professional, and friendly people this job is for you. Thank you Dairy Farmers for everything. Excellence in all you do.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Great Team, Great New Building
Farmer minded business
Human Resources/Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 28, 2018
DFA is a productive company that focuses on the farmer owners. There is a lot of focus on employee growth from a corporate level, however growth in the plant is dependent on union status. They are the 4th dairy cooperative in the world; providing products across the USA, China and Japan. The employees take pride in making a food safe quality product that is on dinner tables everywhere.
Pros
Values of the company
Cons
A lot of focus on running production and doesn’t allow for the normal amount of work-life balance
great place to work
Night Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CAAugust 26, 2018
great place to work. The company is big on promotion from within. The company does have areas it could perfect. Particularly with employee involvement.
Great Experience
Director (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 23, 2018
Great place to work, lots of meetings,some good management, some not so good. Great benefits, not enough autonomy too much emphasis from the top down.
Finding that I have a job and not a career.
Full Time Position Maintenance E & I tech (Current Employee) –  Portales, NMAugust 23, 2018
Challenging, I normally excel at trouble shooting electrical issues. Spend a lot of my time calibrating transmitters and validating readings. There is just no room for advancement within my department.
Pros
Most people are pleasure to work with.
Cons
No advancement.
It was a grat work place
Temporary Employee (Current Employee) –  Portales, NMAugust 20, 2018
It was a safe and great place to work. Coworker help out and make you feel welcome. And there's always room for advancements. It's a cozy little place to work.
Great Place
SAP Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 16, 2018
The farmers are treated fairly. The pay is good, the atmosphere is nice. They could help a bit with career goals and promotions. Upper management is too busy in meetings to see who really works hard.
Fast paced
Seasonal General Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNAugust 16, 2018
This summer they were struggling with an infrastructure change. The lack of employees to properly man each shift lead to mandatory 50+ hour work weeks.
Excellent Place to work!
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOAugust 9, 2018
A typical day of work lasted 8 hours. At any point in time you could be held over up to another 8 hours though. So a 16 hour shift was not uncommon. Most days I usually worked 12 hour shifts and within my first 90 days I was hard pressed to even get a day off. The paychecks were very worth it though.
Management was great, I never had any issues with them. Besides the fact that sometimes I feel like they could be a little more hands on and actually reprimand people more than they did.
Most coworkers were very easy to get a long with. Some, were not. You really had to take each person on a day to day basis.
The hardest part of the job was definitely the long hours and chance of getting forced overtime.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being paid very well and if you like the overtime, the paychecks were very nice.
Pros
Compensation, breaks, benefits
Cons
Long shifts
This is union based company
Lead Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Schulenburg, TXAugust 7, 2018
This company lack communication. People who work here hire on not knowing this job may work 7 days a week 3 weeks at a time no PTO and only 9 non vacations days or occuances a year.
Pros
Paid well in overtime
Cons
7 days a week
Evaporator Operator (Former Employee) –  Hughson, CAAugust 1, 2018
Beside switching management ever 4 years, everything was great. Every management was different. Had no Idea if a layoff was coming with the new management.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Disruptive employees, union
great company to work for
Production Foreman (Current Employee) –  Hughson, CAJuly 24, 2018
DFA was a great company to work for, benefits are good and pay was really good. I would highly recommend for someone to work there. Co workers are very cool here

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dairy Farmers of America, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

1.9Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight