Dairy Queen

United States14,820 reviews

Found 14,820 reviews matching the searchSee all 17,241 reviews
dairycreamicedqblizzardfooddiscountfast

Summary of DQ

This is a great place to work if you looking for your first place to work and if you like to work with customers. This is a great area to learn because everyone is nice and willing to teach you anything about the business.

No benefits besides 50% off one meal a day.

Alright to start at, too many highschoolers. No health insurance or literally any other benefits. Severely understaffed on day shift, nightshift overstaffed regularly.

Pros

50% of one meal

Cons

Short breaks, not enough workers, no benefits, demanding owner

Dairy Queen insights

Based on 7,648 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Okay place to work

If your looking for some extra cash , okay place to work , typical problems from the HR part of things . Not the same under new ownership . Use to be a wonderful plane to go to

Unfulfilling work, okay for first job

It's an okay starter job. They have pretty good flexible schedules and management is okay. The pay is not good and it's difficult to move up. I wouldn't stay here for very long.

Fun work place

Typical day consists of serving ice cream and frying fries, good place. I would say all of the flavors are delicious and would recommend the chocolate chip

Busy

Busy location during the summer, very slow during the winter. Tiring and work 6 days a week. My bosses are great though. Good company to work for. Flexible for the most part.

Good ice cream

I love working at DQ because of the ice cream I've definitely gained weight. GM is the best GM I've ever had. Learning the blizzards are super fun.....

My Honest Opinion

My employer is not a very good employer I need a stable job with more than 2-3 days a week working. When I first started I was working everyday and making $700 to $800 a check! But since my coworkers can not come in to do their job my hours got cut and now I make $200 a check which isn’t enough. I am looking for a job with tips or something that can pay more than $13.50-$14.25 a hour

Fun workplace

Met some amazing people and the job was what you’d expect working in food/customer service! Was fun to work with ice cream. There was always a line so you were almost always busy!

Fun work place with a great staff

Dairy Queen was a great experience for a first real job I enjoyed my time working there. I had a good relationship with all my coworkers and supervisors it was almost a family there.

N/a

I don't want to give my review for this company it's a great work for people that are starting but sometimes management doesn't work together they expect a lot from people without any compensation.

good place, good money,

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the negativity of customers and employees. I made a lot of friends working here and overall enjoyed the job.

Pros

free employee meals, employee discount, competitive pay, opportunities for advancement

Stressful

Didn’t get proper training and pay was bad. I only liked working to see my co workers and have something g on my resume but other jobs wouldn’t take me so

You can make friends but working cost your mental health lol

I made quite a few friends there and sometimes it was fun believe me- BUT the work was mentally exhausting dealing with rude customers from the moment you get out of school till 10:30 or 11 at night is inevitable, but it's just a lot of built-up pressure and stresses from everything. Sometimes nights go smoothly but it's pretty rare. It's going to dirty, the bathrooms, the sinks, the way you have to clean certain things. The customers will make it dirtyy and not care. Your pay will be super bad and unless you're the very last option it will be hard to move up to higher positions. Sometimes other coworkers won't pull their weight and be super slow and that really drags you. There will be tons of customers at a time it makes it difficult, basically a lot of stuff will go wrong and by the end of it you're exhausted and the fun of it runs out. You're just a number and your replacement won't be important.

It's ok

Management and coworkers were very kind and helpful in the beginning. Understaffed at least once a month. Very fast-paced , especially on weekends; mostly because there's only one Dairy Queen in the entire city. Worst part was the entitled and rude customers. At my location, there was no modern P.O.S system, so instead they had an ancient fossil register and you had to write down orders manually. It wasn't hard but anyone under the age of 40 will be confused using that thing for at least a month before they get the hang of it. And for some reason, they don't want females on the grill. Personally, I hated working here but overall, it wasn't THAT bad.

Easy and fun

It was easy and I enjoyed coming to work most of the time. My coworkers were great to be around. Management was good and you stay busy .I worked the closing shift

Great starting job!

I have worked at Dairy Queen for over 5 years and as a Shift Lead for over 3 years. When I moved up to management I had a lot more responsibilities but they were manageable except when we were understaffed, or when we were busy and I still had a lot to do. Generally, this is a great first job because it teaches you how to do basic things such as cash management, store cleaning, customer service etc.

Pros

Free ice cream, great tips, great coworkers.

Cons

No breaks, unconventional hours.

Unprofessional and no boundaries whatsoever

The management will partake in gossip about their coworkers and employees more than the teenagers that work for them. The owner has no boundaries and will make awful decisions based on the smallest amount of information. I wouldn't work here again even if it paid 6 figures.

Dairy Queen

Overall I think Dairy Queen was a pretty consistent environment. I knew what was expected of me as a cook. Prepping, cleaning, opening, stocking. Some managers will be willing to come to your aid and others will just walk around and tell you what to do. Gossip is gonna happen ofc but if you just focus on your work you'll be alright.

Fun

Cool place to start out at a teen in hs looking to make some money, very flexible and understanding with any and all problems except when you and the rest of the crew bring up how uncomfortable a manager makes you feel and nothing is done.

Fun, easy money

This is definitely a good starter job or a job to coast until you find something better. You move up quickly if you are doing a decent job but then you just stay stagnant at a store manager.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dairy Queen. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Dairy Queen.
Powered byComparably