Dairy Queen
65Average

Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA22 reviews
This is a great place to work if you looking for your first place to work and if you like to work with customers. This is a great area to learn because everyone is nice and willing to teach you anything about the business.
Day-to-day management was fair, but expected a fast pace particularly during closing sessions. How much you enjoy your time there may depend on your tolerance for certain words being used when customers are not around. Expect some messy uniforms due to the nature of the job.
For the most part, I did like the people I worked with. However, I had TERRIBLE hours. They would only give me once a week for about 4 hours, sometimes 5 if they needed me longer. During the summer, I would have about three workdays sometimes four days with four to five hours each day. My paycheck at the end of the two weeks was not great. You can not live off of what you get unless you're a manager or have been an employee for many years. You will have to get at least a second job to make enough money for yourself. This job is pretty much for teenagers who are still in high school and don't have many responsibilities and not adults who need money to support themselves.
Most of my time spent there was cleaning up after other crew members and trying to organize the store. The management was cold and didn't properly train any of the employees, and would then punish them for not doing things properly.
The culture was amazing. I loved the people I worked with. The shift were a little long but you can expect that. The job was fairly easy as long as you understood how to do it
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Working at DQ for a while has been great. The people there are extremely friendly and funny. Learning how to work there was easy and the coworkers were helpful in learning new things.
Pros
Discounts on your food and the people are really fun
Cons
Pay is too low for the area
Dairy Queen was a decent place to work. I would recommend this work place for younger people looking for a first time job. It is a great place to gain customer service skills.
Working there was great and I had a good experience working there. It was the best summer job and I made pretty good money. I would definitely recommend working here.
Interacting with the public is a key aspect of this job. There is a strong emphasis on customer satisfaction, both in the food we serve and the environment in which our customers enjoy the food. I have learned to prepare the menu items and can prepare one heck of a great Blizzard. I also help to keep the restaurant clean by sweeping and mopping the floor, cleaning tables, taking out the trash, etc.
Pros
Free Ice Cream, Great Management
Cons
Under Staffed
Dairy Queen is a fun place to work at I've been here for almost a year and I love it the managers are fun to work with and so are the coworkers it's slow in the winter so you can learn more so in the summer you can be ready for the rush
You will always smell sweet. It was a great way to meet new people who worked with you and who ordered from you. Learn customer service skills, hand-eye coordination, conscientious listening, and multitasking with excellence.
It was a good first job however just like any other fast food job it gets old quick. Would not reconmend if there are other options
The co-workers are great, the customers have their ups and downs but its still good. Funny people and a great time. Cleaning up the store has to be the hardest part of the store. I learned how to talk to customers and how to really serve other people. The owners aren't really the best when it comes to talking to there employees about problems in the store. The hours aren't the best but they are still good.
Pros
Free Ice Cream after your shift, the workers are great.
Cons
The pay per hour, the owners of the store
I learned patience working with different types of people and dealing with different types of customers. Management is wonderful, they respect their coworkers and do not let the power get to their heads. The hardest part is to find things to do during the winter when its not busy. The most enjoyable part is handing ice cream to excited children. A typical day at work fill products, make customers ice cream, and clean.
Pros
free ice cream after closing shifts
Cons
no benefits
I always provided customer service, managed money and controlled inventory, also checked equipments. in this position, most time is to communicate with customers.
It is a fun place to work specially for younger crowd who are seeking to learn new skills and gaining experience and getting ready for their future jobs.
I learned all the skills for managing and owning small business for example data entry, analyzing financial reports, training, and customer service.

the hard part of my job was dealing with employees that were not responsible enough and they were calling out or quit without notice.
It was fun to work here mainly because I really enjoy cleaning, and the work I did focused predominantly on that. I learned organization skills and how to socialize with different people.
Not much of a hard work. A variety of products to understand how to make them. Training is easy. Co-workers were nice and friendly.
High School job, fun for youth.
Making shakes, and blizzards, and food.

Clean and maintain store.
This was the best job I ever had. I learned a lot about ice cream, smoothies and more. My management the absolute best and my co-workers were more like family. The hardest part of this job was nothing and the enjoyable part of this job was being around people who really cared.
Pros
great company
• Hired in April 2000 as a Marketing Consultant for sub-franchisee of Dairy Queen restaurants.
• Promoted to Marketing Manager in January 2006, and managed over $3MM in local and national advertising funds for over 140 Dairy Queen locations.

• Worked with senior management to set up and implement company marketing goals.

• Responsible for managing the tradeshow process and all logistics.

• Supervised Business Consultants to ensure that advertising dollars were spent efficiently.

• Managed annual audit process of advertising dollars to ensure that all required marketing dollars were utilized.

• Attended all store openings to help train staff and make sure the store management and staff were prepared to run the operation.

• Published company newsletter to help keep franchisees informed of Dairy Queen operations.

• Oversaw trademark usage for stores that handled local promotions on their own.

Accomplishments

• Lead the creation and implementation of the Territory Operator Management (TOM) program that guides every part of the company’s day-to-day operations.

• Recipient of the Tellegen Leadership Award for 2010.

• Managed an in-store promotion from 2007-2012 which increased a specific products’ sales from 2% in 2007 to 7% in 2012.

• Created a billboard vinyl program in 2006 that was updated yearly. Through this program franchisees were able to choose from a library of different layouts and purchase the vinyls at a discounted price through a local vendor.

• Created customer incentive pieces for stores to utilize i.e. coupons, vouchers, and packages.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dairy Queen. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3K
InHerSight Score
2.0Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight