Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen insights

Based on 3,663 survey responses
What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Summary of DQ

This is a great place to work if you looking for your first place to work and if you like to work with customers. This is a great area to learn because everyone is nice and willing to teach you anything about the business.

Productive, flexible

Can be stressful with the amount of customers per day but very productive, time flies when busy. Have to deal with some cranky customers so be prepared to have patience and communication skills. But as to be expected working in a fast food environment.

The positive environment... at least at my location

So far in my 3 months of service... There is positive energy... The people are a joy to work with... They understand that you have a life outside of work and do their best to accommodate your needs...whatever they may be

Great high school job

Great job, moved up within company, recommend for high school students. At least when I worked there, the pay was good for high school but you couldn't live off of it. Good management.

Not too hard just have to want to do it. Time to socialize and people are usually calm and chill but it ca get super busy.

Not too hard of job but raises need to be more consistent. People are cool and easy to get along as long as you help each other out. Fast paced when it’s busy but pretty calm steady pace for the most part.

Pros

Discount and 1 week vacation.

Cons

No consistent raises.

Job seekers rely on your experience.

It’s a job

It’s a summer job, not a career. I worked for an owner that owned more than 1 location and employed their kids as managers. Great job for kids in high school needing cash and basic job experience.

I love to work at dairy queen but peach orchard is a not good manager

Not . manager but a real good crew love the people and clean and then we are not approved for what we do good to help with the buessess and I was a cook I work open to. Close 7 day a week and was not

Pros

No free food

Cons

30 min break if you do double or hour break

Horrible in genera

Boss wouldn’t pay me as a certified manager for all my hard work got paid as a cashier had to beg for my pay no benefits or anything just a lousy paycheck

Pros

Free lunches discount

Cons

Horrible franchises

Fun work place fast paced

I enjoyed working at dairy Queen most of the time like most jobs there were good and bad days there's always room to move up you can learn all the different positions fairly quickly

Pros

Half off food while on break time always went by fast

Cons

Getting sent home cause of labor

Easy work

Working there was easy and a lot to learn and very repetitive. Once you knew the menu it would get boring because you learned everything you could. But it was fun

Pros

Free ice cream

Cons

Low pay

Jobs at Dairy Queen

See more jobs

Good overall company with questionable management at times

Overall it was a decent place to work. It’s a decent company but management could use some revamping and local owners seem out of touch. It could have had better perks for employees they only gave free meals to managers regular crew were 50%off. The would give employees that came in on their off day free food but then they ended that.

Overworked, Underpaid

Was told when hired on I was going to be assistant manager, which then became kitchen manager, which just consisted of me running the kitchen by myself everyday through lunch rushes and everything. Also found out I was being paid less than originally agreed upon.

Good people

The people are good. Food is good. Management is okay. It could be bette but it’s fast food, i just wanna read the reviews for another job so ignore this.

Too much work, not enough compensation

If you want to live at work, go for it otherwise stay as far away as you can. You are expected to be on call 24 / 7 and not supposed to.have a life outside of work.

It was a means to pay the bills

Everyone was great to work with, only had issues with 1 manager. The job was stressful, as any cooking job is, at the time minimum wage was only 7.25 an hour so the money did not match the amount of stress you had to deal with on a daily basis.

It was fun loved the people and manager

Dairy Queen I was there 8 yrs I loved the people so it was a fun place to work. I happens to have a great manager. 9ts hard to really move up since it goes owner, general manager, manager, shift leader but you can move all the way up to owning your own store if that's what you wanted. I learned allot even making cakes and desigñing them so I give them a great rating. Some of the owners not so much. The one I worked for sold business and didn't tell anyone till the next day even the GM and that was we all needed to turn in our keys. But if your lucky to get a great manager like I had it makes all the difference but no paid holidays or sick leave but if you got shift covered then it was pretty much okay. So if you had something come up you could leave as long as shift was covered they didn't give you any problems.

Pros

Was a fun environment like a family

Cons

Ño paid holidays or sick leave and slow in winter months

Unjust

The work environment was incredibly stressful. During morning shifts, you we’re lucky to have 3 people working. We were always understaffed and the managers were uninterested in hiring new employees. When I had first started working in 2018 there were 4-5 people on the floor not including working managers. Even before 2020 we were short staffed. In following years the only people hired were family, friends or ex employees. While working no one had a specific job. It was always “you take it, you make it”. I normally wouldn’t have a problem with it but while new people were being hired, some of the managers weren’t properly training them or left it to the employees to train their piers. Although the work environment was a little shaky the drama being closed doors was worse. The main managers would sit in the back of the store and gossip about everyone else in the store. I particularly never felt safe in the store nor did I ever want to talk about my life outside of work. There were times when I brought something up and I’d immediately get harassed and bullied for it.

Cons

No breaks at all

Fun

It was fun. I like the job. I like all the customers. Sometimes people tipped me. I like my managers. Some customer got mad at the charges for dipping sauces.

Pros

It was fun

Cons

My back hurt

Good entry job

Good entry job. Management ok. There were some issues with other employees that seemed to get brushed under the rug. It was quite easy to advance if you had pride in your work

Pros

Discount lunch

Cons

Drama

Very hard work for so little pay

Seemed like a pretty decent place to work, I thought to myself. This was until I experienced the constant negative remarks from managers and basically being forced to work extremely hard due to scheduling cuts.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Short breaks, terrible management

Easy but annoying work

Bad management. From the start they always say they’re gonna change things but never do. They treat their best and most hardworking employees the worst. It’s an easy and steady paycheck for someone in high school, but working 5 days might be too much

Pros

Half off prices on your break

Cons

Terrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dairy Queen. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.5K

InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Dairy Queen with

• Dairy Queen
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?