DAK Americas Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working at DAK Americas, it is an awesome company.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 28, 2018
I worked in many capacities in my time at DAK. I was given opportunities to advance within the company from 1996 to 2015. I started off as a contractor and was hired by the company. I held lead, relief supervisor, operator, and lab technician roles during my time at DAK. I was transferred to the Columbia facility when Cape Fear shut down. After two years chose to find employment closer to my family. I enjoyed my time at DAK, I couldn't have asked for a safer quality driven caring work environment.
Pros
work advancement
Cons
distance from family
Drained the life out of you
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaAugust 20, 2018
12 hour rotational shifts plus they wanted you to work OT. Training lasted a week but was worthless safety culture in SSP was non existent. They literally tell you 100 things about your job and nothing actually related to what your doing. Basically if your coworker didn't set you up the day/night before you were messed up the whole shift and if you didn't set them up they'd talk bad about you.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No life besides work
Great place
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 21, 2018
Management was superb. The work environment is very friendly. Most people have been there for a while and have created lasting friendships and it shows. Teamwork is imperative and comes easy to many there.
Great job
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Moncks Corner, SCAugust 6, 2018
Great job to work with plenty of overtime. Chance to move up. Not much supervision work for your own responsibilities. Great training and benefits are the best. Would continue to be there but had to relocate.
Pros
Excellant opportunities
Cons
Hot enviroment
great job
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Leland, NCDecember 12, 2018
this was a great place to work. management was a little bad at the site I worked at. which shut down a few years back. but great company and benefits.
easy work
SeaBulk Operator (Current Employee) –  Bay Saint Louis, MSJuly 24, 2018
very laid back place to work without stress, but the management and skills progression to advance at the plant is a joke. I seen it as a more of a who you know job.
Pros
relaxed
Cons
dishonest
very safe place to work
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Moncks Corner, SCJune 27, 2018
Safe work enviroment. No advancement. Most of the employees complain alot about the job and some just don't seem to care about what they are there to do.
benefits
Cons
no advancement
Terrible
Operater (Former Employee) –  Moncks Corner, SCMarch 15, 2018
This place will work you like a dog. Management is on your back 24/7 and if you are on your mandatory overtime and can’t make it they’ll write you up. It is basically a prison that you get to leave and go home everyday. No time for family or kids when you can end up working up to 8 days in a row. Money’s good though. My co workers are great but I would NEVER work here again.
Benefits
Cons
Mandatory OT no time to have social life
okay overall
Process Engineer- Melt phase Area (Current Employee) –  Gaston, SCJuly 8, 2018
Great place to work but far below average salaries. Gym onsite and 8 hour days. Not much advancement. Management is good. Only 2 weeks of vacation is given.
Fun place to work
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Bushy Park, SCJune 13, 2018
DAK is a good place to work just at the time I was employed there I couldn't do the schedule do to my kids. DAK is a very hot environment, but they do give you as many breaks as you like
Don't work for procurement...Beware!!!
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Gaston, SCDecember 29, 2017
If you are looking to be overworked, micro-managed and under appreciated, then this company is for you. Very high turn-over in procurement reflects directly upon current management. Run. Please understand, you will not be able to take a vacation or known in the company as "dakvacation" because of the lack of staff to cover your assignments. Also, be prepared to work 12 to 14 hours a day just to be able to keep up with workload.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Long hours, poor management, understaffed
Moncks Corner Facility Production Engineer
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Moncks Corner, SCFebruary 18, 2018
Job/Life Balance:
Shameful that too often engineers were subject to report for work on weekends, holidays and even being called in while on vacation. There were too many weekends and holidays you were scheduled to work from 7PM to 7AM. This was not a request but an "unsaid requirement".
Benefits:
Outstanding benefits and pay but at a personal cost as mentioned above.
Advancement:
Shameful that higher positions were filled based less upon one's qualifications but upon more on their "ethnic background" shall we say?
Total loyalty to local management but unfortunately much of the decisions were made at the next level of management.
Job Culture:
It's a 24-hour operation. You pray 2 things would happen simultaneously. Operator attendance and machine reliability. If either didn't happen, life would be miserable for you.
Pros
Cannot argue the great benefits but at a personal cost.
Cons
"Selective Advancement" not exactly based upon qualifications.
Stressful lean organization that demanded too much from managers
Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Moncks Corner, SCFebruary 6, 2018
Great location and people to work with. Upper management 's micro management is running the good employee's off causing there to be too much overtime for the current work force.
Perfect fit if youlike swing shifts
MATERIAL OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Gaston, SCJanuary 6, 2018
work 7 to 7 days and nights get 2 days off and rotate shifts again your away from your family a lot and get little time to be a human being.Great benifits tho
Pros
great pay
Cons
short breaks and stressfull labor
Didn't really care for work place
Rope pack (Former Employee) –  Moncks Corner, SCFebruary 3, 2018
12 hour work days very laid back and times and can change quick. 12hour work shift including nights can wear you out very quickly. Poor management and very poor training.
Lack of morale and work/life balance
Supervisor of Operations (Former Employee) –  Moncks Corner, SCOctober 11, 2017
Turnover in upper management at the plant n last 3 years has resulted in a lack of morale and made work stressful and abusive.

Work days of 14 to 20 hours a day is not uncommon.
No work/life balance
Pros
Compensation and benefits are great
Cons
Too many hours of work per day/week and stressful atmosphere
Stressful fast paced unpredictable
Welder (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 10, 2018
DAK is a good company for the most part. However the position I am in has no room for advancement and is not classified correctly causing it to pay much lower than the benchmark.
Work Life Balance Terrible
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Gaston, SCAugust 9, 2017
Work life balance is not good, but they do pay you well and the benefit package is second to none. Very analytical and engineered oriented, so if you are a energetic and enjoy working with happy colleagues, DAK Americas is NOT for you. High stress and if you are salaried, you are required to work 24/7, especially if you are off work. There is no such thing as vacation...the joke was you're on a "DAKation" - the work life balance, I can't stress enough. Also, if you voice any concerns about management, you will not get the results you want, on the contrary, you will be put under great scrutiny, written up or feel pressured to leave the company.
Pros
Benefits & Pay
Cons
Retribution of any complaints and terrible work-life balance
Demanding Hours 24/7/365 - Understaffed
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Moncks Corner, SCOctober 30, 2017
DAK Americas provides good benefits / salary to high performing engineers - the time required and no work / life balance is terrible. Most engineers work over 60 hours / week on average.
Pros
Good Benefits, Good Compensation
Cons
Work / Life Balance
Typical Plant Job, Shift Work
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 29, 2017
I load railcars and bulk trailers in 12 hour rotating shifts. The job is physically involved but not very difficult. Politics and lackluster management make this job far more of a burden than necessary. The rotating shift calendar does provide you with 7 consecutive days off each month, which is usually converted into mandatory overtime shifts. There isn't much home life (despite the days off) working constant 12 hour shifts; however, it isn't too difficult to adjust to.
Pros
Pay, benefits, time off (when you get it)
Cons
Mandatory overtime, management