Dallas Central Appraisal District Employee Reviews

Stable position
Business Personal Property Appraiser (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 9, 2019
I worked with DCAD out of college and they provided a stable job security and great retirement. The opportunities here where limited as they operated in the stone ages when I was there.. No PC's!
Pros
Freedom
Cons
No Career Growth
Government agency
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2018
It’s a county government office. Property taxes are based on the market value of the property. The higher the property value the higher the property taxes.
Great place to work, love the people and administration are awesome.
Help Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 19, 2018
I've been here for twenty years and a few months, I wouldn't trade it for anything the management here is great, can't say that it's a hard job everyone works together which makes your everyday enjoyable.
Pros
Great reitirement, and health Insurance
Cons
Need company picnics
Good government job
Commercial Property Appraiser (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 15, 2018
Different responsibilities during the year due to the property tax cycle in Texas. Normally very flexible, but can be busy and quick-paced in the summer. Good benefits, overall, but perhaps not as generous if you have children. Opportunities to advance if patient and work hard.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Lower pay
Good benefits
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 16, 2018
Good retirement plan & pto
Offers deferred compensation
Nice & friendly environment to work in
Good health, vision & dental plan
Work schedule is great
job
Internship (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 21, 2018
this is a good place to work to contribute to society. If you have any aspiration then you can serve society better to find different employment. GOVERNMENT JOB.
Pros
people
Cons
people
government job with no upwards movement
Business Personal Property Appraiser (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 9, 2016
Nepotism and favorites rule the managements decisions
government job with no upwards movement
nice benefits
robotic job everyone looking forward to "pension" after 20yrs
A typical day working at the Appraisal District
RESIDENTIAL APPRAISER (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 24, 2016
I determine the property value of a residential property which includes improvements and the structure for the taxing jurisdictions. I drive out to properties all over Dallas County and inspect the property and determine it's value.

I've learned the proper methods on arriving at Fair Market Value and learned how to treat taxpayers with courtesy and respect.

I currently work as a residential staff appraiser and I'm well respected by the supervisors and managers,

I get along well with my co-workers and enjoy working with them and we do fun extra circular activities outside work.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with hostile taxpayers and going to properties that are difficult to inspect either due to measuring a large house or difficult to access.

I would say the most enjoyable part of my job is getting to see my co-workers on a daily basis and getting to drive out to different properties and inspecting unique properties. I really enjoy working out in the field and being on the road.
Pros
great co-workers, driving out in the DFW area
Cons
hostile taxpayers and working difficult properties
Pay was great.
ARB Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 3, 2015
The job was easy, I like a job where I can think about the best move. All I did was push papers. This job was a summer job. It was alright while it lasted.
Pretty decent overall
Appraiser (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 14, 2015
If you're interested in advancing at a decent pace or being challenged, you probably will not receive that here. However, the work environment among coworkers is enjoyable. Management is kind, supportive, and encouraging. Compensation is okay, but benefits are great.
Dcad
Staff Appraiser (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 27, 2015
Great company to work for. Pay is good and retirement is second to none, regardless if in public or private sector. Of course, like with any other job, the pay could be better but overall, no complaints.
Pros
Retirement, Fridays off, Pay, Casual dress
Cons
Advancement opportunities are limited
Fun enjoyable.
Central Coordinator Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 12, 2015
A typical day at work answer the phone, processing tax files.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Health care
Excellent place to work!
Business Personal Property Appraiser (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 10, 2014
Flexibility and independence is needed to complete working duties. Great working atmosphere because you're out in the field majority of the time working at your own pace. No micro managing here! Stability and plenty of opportunities to sign up and enjoy training courses. Tuition assistance is limited and career advancement is harder since no one is really retiring nor leaving.
A government company that deals with taxing entities within Dallas County
Residential Appraisal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 7, 2012
A typical day at work for me starts at 7am and ends at 6pm. I scan documents into the Mars System. I print out reports and deliver them to the supervisors. I also relieve the department administrative assistant from her duties such as answering phones and assisting tax payers, lunches and breaks when needed. I think it's imperative to be able to get along with your superiors and peers at any level for communication and to keep the business running smoothly. Since we have to assist with other departments within the company, that only gives me more learning opportunity of how they are an essential part of the company. There's not anything hard about my job at all. I enjoy meeting new people and I like to take on new challenges when given the opportunity to learn something new.
Pros
4 10hour days with friday, saturday and sunday off, pto, holidays, healthcare
Cons
no flexibility hours unless your in another department. no room for advancement for clerical staff.
Good company to retire from
Special Inventory Tax Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 7, 2012
A typical day at work was exciting and I enjoyed my job as a Special Inventory Tax Clerk, because it gave me more freedom and independence in my duties. I learned administrative and accounting while working at Dallas Central Appraisal District. I met alot of wonderful people and remained friends with a few former co-workers.
Pros
opportunites, people i worked with, great hours, independence and ability to develop skills with the help of hr.
Cons
strict time/attendance policies and no pto or sick pay.
Business Personal Property Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 9, 2012
Flexible work schedule, no micro-managing. PTO is fair and benefits are great.