Dallas County Community College Employee Reviews

Great Place
CE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 4, 2019
When you work for DCCCD you must be capable of dealing with a diverse population, Fast paced variety never the same every day. chance to make a difference
Great place to work and Learn
International Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 4, 2018
I love working here. It's fast-paced, and every day is different. I get to meet new people every day. It's great to be able to collaborate with very diverse individuals to accomplish the same goal which is to changes lives through higher education
I enjoy teaching and the students I've had have been interested in the subject area. The instructional material is standard for all instructors.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 6, 2018
I instruct 2 classes of skilled health readiness courses that have lecture and lab. The students have started doing the lecture part online as it works for their work/home life, and the lab portion is done through videos and face to face instructional demonstrations and practice with the students.

I enjoy the interaction with the students, but understand their needs of wanting to do as much online as possible. I post announcements for them so that they can stay up to date with their assignments and testing.
Pros
Collaborative team of professors.
Cons
Driving distance to the college.
Great Place to Work!!
Instructor in Substance Abuse Counseling Program (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 30, 2018
I am a firm believe in Community Colleges and Eastfield is one of the best. The Dallas County Community Colleges are very student oriented and most of the professors go out of their way to assist the students on a more person basis, with more time and personal attention being given to students than those at the university level receive.
Pros
Personal attention for students.
Cons
I was never able to obtain full time employment.
Stable job
Professor (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 12, 2018
Once you were in you are there for the duration of your employment. Once you taught a course for one term you were on the list to teach that course for you life.
Pros
Professional environment
Cons
No long term full time ops
Summary
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 25, 2018
Teamwork environment, with professional staff. Always updating the curriculum to ensure it relates to current demands. Expanding the flexibility for learners.
Toxic, demoralizing work environment
Web-Programmer / Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 17, 2018
Its a well enough paying and steady job, that attracts many retirees due to the TRS retirement plan. I would not recommend anyone who is mid or early career move here, though. There is very little appreciation for creativity or hard-work.

Office politics and favoritism runs rampant and about half of the employees are grossly under-qualified.

If it is your goal to under-achieve and try to coast under the radar, then this is the perfect place to be.

I would say one of the worst things about this job is that it is conducive to the formation of bad habits. If you come in with talent, energy and work-ethic, it will be beaten out of you fairly quickly.
Pros
Job Stability
Cons
Politics
Success is King!
Programmer/Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 24, 2018
I was given an amazing opportunity here to begin working in the area where my degree is focused and to be able to learn from others who have experience already. I have learned more than I could ever describe since I started here and there is no one to hold you back. Everyone wants to help each other succeed and reach their full potential.
Pros
Flexibility, learning
Cons
Monthly pay basis
Eastfield College
Associate Dean of STEM (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2018
Great students, staff and faculty to work with. Great Trio program and many of support for students. Leadership in transition making it a challenging environment to work in at times.
Poor management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 1, 2018
This applies to a specific department at DCCD, I believe the rest of the campus was a nice place to work. Unfortunately, the area I worked in had an extremely high turn over rate due the management.
Productive and fun workplace
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 23, 2018
Typical Day: We see students and assist them with schedules and process applications. I have learned the application guidelines and requirements, how to add waivers for students to enroll and process applications in a timely and detailed way. Our workplace is great and staff is friendly.Hardest part of the job is meeting deadlines due to shortness of staff and overload of work.The most enjoyable part if the day is the satisfaction I get when knowing my work is making a difference.
Pros
staff parties
Cons
hard to move from pt to ft
Great environment
Coordinator of Instructional Labs (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 4, 2018
Specifically where I worked there was a lot of support and encouragement. I had an excellent manager who allowed me to do my job and did not micromanage at all.
Enjoyed teaching the evening students
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMarch 21, 2018
I taught courses at 3 locations including the main Eastfield Campus,over the 5 school years. Most of my students were adults with full time days jobs and family members that had to be taken care of for the student to attend the 3-4 hours of class.Therefore the students were very focused to learn the material and apply it to their full time jobs for advancement opportunities. I thoroughly enjoyed teaching these students.
Diverse atmosphere in an education setting.
Staff (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 11, 2018
My initial job was as a Specialist in a computer-aided program to
improve the basic skills of adults returning to the workplace. Future
positions were similar with opportunities to substitute for Instructors.
All positions allowed for management and administrative capacities. These jobs, at the two-year college level, were, very, people
oriented. I enjoyed working with the diverse populations of a college
climate. The most difficult aspect of a college career is the hours
involved, meaning evening and weekend work schedules. From this
career, I carry skills and experiences that brought about professional
and personal growth. Education is a lucrative career for me.
Pros
Flexibility in work schedules.
Cons
Discipline or command of a subject matter, such as English and strong interpersonal skills are a must.
Challenging job
Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Farmers Branch, TXFebruary 25, 2018
I enjoyed dispatching for the Dallas County Community College District Police Departments. It was far from being a normal daily routine job. Every day was different. The School District was a good environment to work in.
Pros
Lots of benefits
Cons
Being available 24/7
Silo environment
Energy Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 21, 2018
While I would always encourage applicants to work in education, for the benefits, this campus had silo departments, which would not work with each other.

I had a micromanaging director, who was constantly interfering in my department, and passing blame on subordinates.
Pros
Lots of days off
Cons
Micromanaging culture
Adjunct Faculty Member
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXFebruary 18, 2018
If you love teaching as I do...the job was a Gift from Above. No better career experience in my 40 years career. Leadership was dynamic, intelligent, and actively supportive.
Pros
Cons
No Cons
My 2 cents
Lead ERP Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXFebruary 1, 2018
A place I would recommend to anyone who are worn out from the corporate world. Althought the pay grade are less, much less than the real world, but it is a very relax and flexible place to work. They many 26 pay holidays. Just think, 12 days in Christmas, 7 days in Spring break, plus many more other minor days off. Come to work late is ok, so is leaving work early, as long you don't abuse it.
Pros
relax, flexible, days off, have plenty family time
Cons
low pay, no advancement, managers are old school.
good
INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75211January 24, 2018
i worked through work study and i loved working here. The instructional support manager is very great at his job. He values the employees. My supervisor was amazing as well.
Wonderful
Instructors Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 20, 2017
DCCCD was a great organization to work for. Pay was not the best. The environment was relaxing for most of the year. Was a little hectic during registration time.
Pros
relaxed
Cons
not enough pay