Dallas Independent School District Employee Reviews

Fun job and fullfilling job
Maintenance Supervisor / H.V.A.C (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 16, 2018
being able to help the students and teacher achieve their goals in a comfortable environment was the great filling

working with a great supporting team to help the schools and staff be great was a great feeling
benefits
Cons
lack of staff
Children were treated horribly
Second Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Caesar Chavez Learning CenterOctober 13, 2018
This is a small synopsis of just some of my experience last year as a Dallas ISD teacher intern with the alternative program Compass DISD. I have many emails and proof of the experience. Just contact me on facebook, Susan Thedford Simmons, if you are interested in more. I am now in grad school pursuing my MSW.

To everyone associated with DISD, check the restrooms in your schools and take toilet paper and hand soap for your precious students. I taught second grade at Caesar Chavez Learning Center last year and the children were given no toilet paper or hand soap. Not just for a few days or weeks, but for the entire school year, the hand soap dispensers were broken in the boy's restroom and neither restroom had toilet paper at least 90% of the time. I complained about it to the Principal and Vice Principal, but the situation remained the same all year. My mentor from the Compass alternative certification program of DISD warned me that I would not be given my certification if I mentioned it anymore. I was not offered a contract for this year, even though my students achieved better test scores than the other non-ESL second-grade teacher who is still teaching in DISD and I was not awarded my teaching certification. PLEASE check the restrooms and somehow report it anonymously. Imagine how uncomfortable these small children must feel for the rest of the day when they cannot wipe after a bowel movement and how uncomfortable the girls must be with wet panties all day long.
Pros
Working with so many children who love learning and are cheated from a good school.
Cons
Lack of concern for the children's welfare by principal and district management.
Productive Dedicated Employees
SRFM - Compliance Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 11, 2018
Central Staff and Campus Administration/Staff are totally dedicated and committed the success of the students! The central staff work very well with all cross functional department teams to insure that the campuses receive the resources in a timely manner for the student instruction, staff professional development and parental engagement.
Pros
Flex Hours for Central Staff
Cons
Areas for improvement are needed through professional development
Competitive and not students focused
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 8, 2018
I can't say enough bad things about DISD. They need to pay the teachers more and the people at the top less. They also need to put more money in to the schools, technology, books, you name it. Most teachers don't care about the students but they need teachers so badly that they'll keep anyone.
Pros
Kids are always awesome to work with
Cons
Teachers/Admin don't care about the students
Flexibility Required
ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 8, 2018
As an administrator, I had to be very flexible. I had to be a psychologist, mentor, evaluator, tutor, handyman, operations manager, tactical officer, and if I had time, educator.

Every school is different in its climate so it is difficult to talk about the culture. Each campus changes with a new principal, some get better, some get difficult. This is true of any school district.

The hardest part of the job as an assistant principal was taking all of the blame when something didn't go well, and receiving no credit when weeks of hard work paid off.

The best part of the job is watching kids grow intellectually and maturing into young adults.
Pros
Holidays off and good annual pay
Cons
Stress
Working with children
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 3, 2018
I must say that DISD does not pay well but, if you have a passion for teaching then that will not be a problem for you. I enjoyed working with the students but, the pay was not enough.
Pros
Interacting with the students
Cons
Wages and benefits
Summary
Elementary School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 2, 2018
Dallas Independent School District is the school district for Dallas, TX. I have gained a lot of job experience in Dallas and I wouldn't trade that for anything.
Pros
Off during most holidays
Cons
Low salaries
Highly stressful, tough students; wonderful hardworking teachers
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 29, 2018
Rework the evaluation process, provide the same resources to ALL schools, and raise salaries on a regular basis Trained teachers. The Early Childhood and Reading Dept. are excellent. Their specialists are tops.
Pros
PD was excellent
Cons
Salary and evaluation process
Benefits
Service Center Director (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 28, 2018
Dallas ISD offered great benefits. Workers were nice. The hardest part was that no training was offered to ALL staff but was to a selected few. Th most enjoyable part were the friends that I made while working there.
Pros
Not sure
Cons
Not sure
Honor to be an educater
Technology Educator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 27, 2018
A typical day at work at D.I.S.D is very challenging but not in a bad way. The challenge is dealing with different people and students, due to culture and diversity.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Low pay
A typical day at work
WAREHOUSE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 26, 2018
I worked at DISD textbooks warehouse , you work at your own pace. The worst part of working for DISD , the workplace was unorganized . i learned that in order to get the job done at an orderly pace , the warehouse had to be organize . I started the process before i was laid off
Pros
great pay
Cons
Upper management no communication
Autonomy, good experience
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Given much autonomy. Support dependent on nursing supervisor. Good support from contact with other school nurses. Hardest part about job was learning curve of who could depend on for practical job guidance. Most enjoyable part of job was providing beneficial healthcare to students, and staff, and daily interactions with them.
Pros
structure, and vacations
Horrible District
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 15, 2018
The district is in a terrible position. I have lost my faith in public schools. This district will destroy your desire and passion to teach. They force you to pass all students, so they 'look good', but then when the kid knows nothing on the STAAR test, it reflects on the teachers pay. This is a criminal system that only benefits the teachers at the rich schools. The students are not held accountable and you are not allowed to fail them, punish them, give them homework, or anything else that might help them be successful. The district is setting up all of the students for failure and it's really sad.
To add your spouse to your insurance (NOT including your kids) is $800 a month, AND THATS THE CHEAPEST PLAN, it goes to clear over a thousand to add your spouse!!!!!
This district hates their teachers. Everything is on the teachers. You will not be valued AT ALL!
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!
Pros
Cons
Amount of work, the district and especially the principals disrespect the teachers, they want you to work 80-90 hours a week for 50k
Dallas ISD
Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 14, 2018
Since working with Dallas ISD Transportaion Department, specificially special needs children and their parents, I have learned how critically challenged these children really are, but yet they display such pure, and simple attitudes for life. They struggle to get to school in spite of all their difficuties. It has been a heart warming experience.
Pros
split shifts allows time for personal events
Cons
the condition of the buses and the elements
Collaborative
Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 13, 2018
The teachers I worked with in Dallas worked. Administration wasn't always the best but I worked with the best teachers. The motto of teamwork makes the dreamwork was really the environment in the schools I worked in.
Pros
Collaborative
Cons
Administration
Poor Management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Poor Management, very stressful environment, and they treat a teacher like a garbage. If I find the job I will quit ...

Dallas Independent school they need to hire the right people for the management. The staff is very limited in their experience. I hate Dallas Independent school
No chance of advancement
Educator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Since the current appraisal system was put in place, there is little to no chance of getting a salary increase unless you were in the original grouping of teachers invited to participate in the appraisal system when it was implemented.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
No advancement, more work with less pay, extremely difficult to get a pay raise under a financially unsustainable pay schedule
Great for moms with school age children
Staff Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 10, 2018
The days off makes being a school nurse enjoyable. Although the nurses' role is insignificant in the school milieu there are some good things to be complimented. The autonomy, assuring a student's illness does not impede their learning process through assessments, medication administration and adhering to MD's treatment plan etc. are some positives.
Pros
All holidays off and are not negotiable to BID
Cons
No upward mobility within the department
Review of Dallas Independent School District - Technology Services
PROGRAMMER ANALYST - HELP DESK (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 9, 2018
My work in Technology Services was great. I was exposed to learning new technology (touch-screen), Apple graphics, and training (A+, Networking, Advanced-ACCESS Database, and programming).
There were always opportunities for self-improvement, remote training. I loved to travel picking up donated computers and refurbishing them, and giving free computers with the latest software to DISD students that could not afford computers. I like giving back to students, for a mind is a terrible thing to waste. We need technology to advance our knowledge in the world.
Pros
Structured work environment.
Cons
Mismanagement of funds, thus, resulted in district-wide layoffs.
Teaching is a calling that requires you to be flexible and compassionate.
Educator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 8, 2018
The most important aspect of teaching is the lives that you are able to influence. I have taught students who have gone on to accomplish great things! I have had great experiences as a teacher and have met some great teachers who have been compassionate and inspiring.
Pros
Students!
Cons
Inequitable evaluative system.