Dallas Independent School District Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
White elephant.
Bilingual Teacher (Former Employee) –  Central Elementary, Seagoville, TX.July 13, 2018
For such a big district, I would have expected better budget and personnel administration. They follow a cyclic renewal of teachers, or so it seems to me.
Pros
Good health coverage plans.
Cons
The health plans are very expensive.
Good place to teach
1st grade and 2nd grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 12, 2018
I loved working for Dallas ISD, at least at my school when I was there. We worked hard but also made time for fun. I learned almost everything I know about the basics of being a great teacher while in Dallas ISD. My school had 3 principals in 6 years but I didn't have any complaints about any of them.
The hardest part of the job was trying to make sure each student got everything they need.
The most enjoyable part was the students.
Pros
flexible management
Teaching
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 11, 2018
Teaching in Dallas was rewarding. You can tell that you are making a real difference in the lives of students who are impacted by poverty. I taught middle school here.
Great Workplace
Instructional Coach & Distinguished Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 9, 2018
The school that I taught at was an excellent place within the district. The pay for performance system that DISD uses works well when the principles who review you have a good understanding of the efforts that are behind your student's success. The same system works poorly when the principles who review you are unaware of the efforts that have lead to the student's success. If you are not rated well within their payment system Teacher Excellence Initiative, then you will not receive a raise for the next year. The system is proven to be very unfair for experienced teachers.
Pros
Great Beginning Teacher Salary
Cons
The placement within the district determines the workplace culture
I am grateful for the opportunity to work at DISD.
BILINGUAL TEACHER, THIRD GRADE (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2018
My overall experience working of DISD was rich and rewarding. I am truly grateful for the opportunity given me to positively impact the heart and minds of the leaders of tomorrow.
Pros
A place where you are bound to grow in all areas of professionalism and excellence.
Cons
No Cons. Just be open and flexible to the process. Leave a positive impact on those you serve.
It's a work place recreation center
Multi-Skilled Craftsman (Former Employee) –  9400 north central ex wayJuly 3, 2018
Well a typical day I would receive my work oders check them out see if maybe I could take the materials from the shop to fix the problem or task at hand before comeing back to shop,if not go to job site and estimate amount of material needed....

How to deal with people and there attitudes.

It was Great.

Everyone handle there business,if any one needed help we would be assigned to them as long as needed.

To leave.

satisfaction of working with my hands and being to give back to the community what I have learned.
Pros
Air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter.
Cons
Like any where else had 2 breaks and one hour for lunch.
Fun working with people
Cook (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 1, 2018
I love working with kids i love working with people i love to do my job i love to have fun i l love to be to work on time i don't like to be late i love to talk to people many more thing
I would go back
Contract Specialist/Buyer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 1, 2018
If it weren't for budget cuts and no real advancement in my field I would go back even if it is just for all of the paid holidays and time off. It makes up for the lack of raises they can provide. The benefits were extremely expensive through TRS and I am not sure they don't negotiate better benefits.
Needs Improvement
Guest Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 25, 2018
Education is a field where very few leaders speak the same language. Benefits are horrible at all school districts for families. Inconsistency is always a struggle among leaders. Changing administration every year due to low performance is outrageous. If you came and they are low there is no way that you can turn around a school in a couple of days. Lack of confidence in leaders. Administration building has the answers but when they don't work that administrator is out of a job.
TOO much paperwork
Bilingual Educator / Department head (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 25, 2018
The district claims that they are advocates for the students and especially for the teachers, but in reality they don't support neither. Everything is geared towards test scores and no accountability for the students to adhere. Teachers are overworked, under paid and not recognized for their efforts in the classroom or out.
Cons
long after school hours, medical benefit package, support from admin.
Interesting job met a lot of great people! Fun job!
Evening multi skills (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 24, 2018
Good job great benefits, lots of paid time off. Pretty laid back job sometimes it was hectic with emergency calls but overall good place hate that I got laid off
Good place to work.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 22, 2018
I enjoy contributing to children and their education, so I like substitute teaching at Dallas ISD. I find it less challenging working with children because I can make a positive impression on them, while building a good relations with both internal and external customers.
Pros
Enjoy teaching
Cons
No travel pay.
Horrible Place to Work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 22, 2018
No raises
No accountability for parents
Excessive demands on employees
No support
Horrible insurance
Horrible working conditions
unqualified and unscrupulous people get promoted and make six figure salaries
Pros
Cons
everything
Food Service Assistant
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 18, 2018
1. A typical day for me would consist of preparing and serving breakfast.
2. Cashiering breakfast and lunch lines
3. Washing ,rinsing, sanitizing, and putting up dishes
4. Cleaning work stations
5. Putting up groceries on certain days
Pros
Off on holidays, no late nights, monday through friday shifts
Cons
Little pay, not alot of work days, not full time
Great
High School Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 18, 2018
Hard work, but a great place to impact change! The students and teachers made me excited about coming to work everyday. DISD is truly a district of innovation.
Wonderful district to work for!
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 15, 2018
I am so grateful to work in DISD! I have excellent leadership at my school and a diverse group of colleagues. My school has a large immigrant population and I enjoy working with these amazing students.
Pros
Great staff and students
Cons
Healthcare is costly
Ever changing, no stability.
Associate Principal (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 12, 2018
Dallas ISD was a very stressful place to work that changes initiatives all the time with little support. The principals and Executive Directors change frequently.
Pros
Job ev
Bureaucratic and political
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 9, 2018
While working for the school district is helpful for parents with young children due to vacation time allotted, it is challenging for employees who are aspirational and results oriented. Because change is incremental it can be easy to feel discouraged and pessimistic about ones ability to create a tangible impact. It's possible to experience success within the district but only if your manager has political capital with chiefs and actively supports the development of his/her team.
Pros
Paid time off, 4-day work weeks in the summer, salary
Cons
No performance pay for central staff, no bonuses, unable to work remotely, no annual pay increase
Dallas ISD
PE Teacher for sports and outdoor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 7, 2018
It is a great school district and they Students are wonderful they are smart and hard working. The leadership is warm and friendly and help their teachers meet the needs of their students.
Fun place to work with kids
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 6, 2018
process tardies and absences
greet and meet parents
made sure students were inside their class room on time
hardest part was doing the discipline
i love kids