Dallas Independent School District Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work experience
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX, USMarch 19, 2019
I would in Inclusion so I go to different classrooms and work with English students. I teach students how to write papers and with reading projects. I also help with teaching them proper grammar and preparing them for the STAAR Test.
okay
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 15, 2019
I didn't like the management because they don't give feed back to the employer. I enjoyed working with the children . I was a sub so I
could go to work at will. My goal is to become a teacher some day. .
Pros
healthcare
Cons
healthcare
All About The Campus
8th grade English Department Chair (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 12, 2019
Depends on where you work that greatly colors your experience. So if you are in a strong feeder pattern, you might enjoy it more than others. It is not for the faint of heart!
Excellent work environment friendly staff and Administration
Avondale Elementary IB School/ EBD Teacher (Current Employee) –  Seagoville, TXMarch 11, 2019
Well trained staff, and they give you the opportunity to learn at a productive pace. The Administrators are very friendly and always give employees fair chances for advancement.
Pros
No micromanagement.
Cons
Too many kids for one school
Had to leave to take care of my mother.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 10, 2019
Dallas ISD is disorganized and was a let down for me. I had to resign at the end of the year to take care of my mother and was not happy with how everything was handled.
Great at First...
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Balch Springs, TXMarch 7, 2019
Dallas ISD has great pay and great benefits. The pay does not outweigh the less than qualified administrators you will have to deal with. They are prejudiced, and have a long way to go before becoming a successful school district.
Workplace
Cadet teacher for over 200 students (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 6, 2019
The work environment is pleasant to be a part of. The hardest part of working in the district is that you seen that the parents and students have a lot of leverage against the teachers.
Driving a school bus
BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXMarch 4, 2019
Have to deal with fighting children often. Must be able to navigate your routes. Split shifts; early morning and afternoons. Routes change often. Have to obtain a commercial drivers license.
The job is very rewarding.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 28, 2019
I am a special education teacher. I provide inclusion support in an English II class for 10th grade students. I also facilitate annual reviews for the students on my caseload.
Better than most ISD's, but still flawed
Secondary Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 26, 2019
Dallas pays competitive rates for teachers, even though the system in place for compensation needs to be completely reformed.

Dallas has a kind of payscale that takes into account how well you fill out bureaucratic "red-tape" forms. This seemed like a good idea when it was released. You get a base pay, then you can earn additional money based on how well your principal likes you. This flawed idea was started to pay "high-achieving" teachers a bonus. However, the algorithm by which this is achieved is as confusing as the income tax system we have. Who is considered a "high-achieving" teacher? I can't really even explain it because of how flawed it is. It mostly rests on how well your supervisor likes you, because the "points" a teacher gets is mostly from subjective opinions of their supervisor. Luckily, I have a great principal that cares about her teachers and makes sure we get points. However, I can see how a vindictive person could use this system to withhold pay or withhold raises. I could also see a scenario where the district tightens down on these bonuses and uses that as a way to decrease teacher pay. (this exact thing happened in Denver and LA and probably many other places)

Also, it is common knowledge among teachers that only a very minuscule amount (less than 1%) get the biggest bonus. Sometimes the district likes to dangle this carrot, as in, "You can make an extra $20,000 per year just for being great at your job." That is not true. Almost no teacher gets that bonus. $1000-$3000 bonuses are way more common.

When you sign a contract, you don't really
  more... even know how much you will make because of this flawed bonus system.

I will say that I have worked in several districts in DFW, and this one seems the fairest. Workloads are heavy, but more manageable than some ISD's I have worked at. The people in management (principals and assistant principals) seem to get their jobs based on merit instead of who they know, and it doesn't work like that everywhere in the metroplex.

I hope eventually they raise the base pay and put less emphasis on this flawed bonus structure.
Pros
better leaders
Cons
confusing pay scale, workload
Never a dull moment with school nursing
Registered School Nurse/Liaison (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 22, 2019
Typical day required clinic traffic for ill students/staff; on top of regular students coming for medication administration. I learned to multi task my time and get students stable and back to class. The management was ok, it could've been better; however supervisor didn't like confrontation with the principal despite things being wrong. It was fast paced and felt as if the clinic was used for behavior versus ill students. The hardest part was unexpected emergencies within the day requiring EMS and completing student assessments. It was enjoyable to teach the student to be responsible and involved in their healthcare
Pros
Off for holidays and summers
Cons
Demanding and very fast paced; poor management support
Working as a Sub provides job felxibility
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 12, 2019
Although the benefits that are available are not the best, the job does provide a lot of flexibility in choosing what days you work and where you want to work. I also enjoy that it allows me time to get teaching experience while studying for my course and certification exams.
IT Administration is lacking in intelligence
Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 10, 2019
IT CTO is a political animal that filters everything through a political filter and is only concerned with looking good to his senior management - has no empathy for his direct reports nor anyone in the "worker bee" level. Has communicated to his senior staff that he wants people below him to "work until they quit". Awful place - avoid!
great experience
Translator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 31, 2019
Has been a pleasure work on the school environment with children and the community.but it was time to move on on life, and tried new opportunities.....
Workplace culture
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 27, 2019
The staff is dedicated to give students the best instruction to be successful, the district could do a better job in encouraging promotions and other awards and incentives.
Disd
Reading/ Social Studies Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 17, 2019
DISD is about building relationships in order to advance and stay a float in the district. They will leave you alone if you have good test scores. Pay increase is based on student acheivement.
Professionalism
CDL (Driver) (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 11, 2019
i think that some of the persons that work at the Service Center, are very nice and I fine enjoyment working along side of. But there are also some that are there do have bad attitudes, and can ruin good order.
Pros
working closey with good caring people
Cons
some people can be very rude and think that they are owed something.
Summary
Fourth Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 11, 2019
Dalls ISD is a very large district and it is also extremly fast paced attempting to meet the needs of so many diverse learners. Management is pretty good. Working at DISD depending on your leadership can be really awesome or somewhat frustrating.
Career rewarding to see what impact that you made
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 7, 2019
When former students comes back to visit after graduation and they have learning from that learning community how to be a productive citizen. Student growth
Pros
Great pay increases
Cons
Based upon student performance and surveys and statewide assessments results
Most enjoyable part of my job
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 6, 2019
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with students daily. It is very inspirational when student come to you and tell you that they have finally mastered something they struggled with all year.