Dallas Independent School District Employee Reviews

N/a
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 13, 2018
Working with kids and doing as needed work as the days go on. Try to keep things in order. Great experience...........................................
n/a
Physical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 7, 2018
depending on your job title days can be exceptionally long when dealing with certain organizations. the pay is pretty good but the business management is pretty poor.
A great place to work.
LEAD CLASSROOM TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 6, 2018
Dallas Independent School District is a great place to work for new teachers as well as more established teachers. I found Dallas Independent School District to be competitive and collaborative.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
You have lunch at the same time as with students.
The most enjoyable pat of the job
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  31111 Bonnie ViewDecember 6, 2018
The most enjoyable part of working with the school system is the children watching the light come on once they learned their lesson. The smile of the children faces when they arrive to school. Exposing them to vast information when taking them on field trips.
Pros
Field trips and smiling faces.
Cons
The children that have been hurt by their parents.
Substitute Teacher| Dallas Independent School District|
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 2, 2018
As a substitute teacher I
Collaborated with parents, other instructors and administrators and presented program and curriculum objectives to a diverse community and student
demolition
Demolition Worker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 28, 2018
we knocked down walls and lockers from old schools. The environment was relaxed, and paid daily. Work hours was consistent. There were also janitorial duties that i had to partake in as well.
Love what I was teaching.
CTE Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 27, 2018
DISD was a my first district I ever worked in as a teacher. DISD gave me my first opportunity as a teacher. I learned a lot from co-worker and administrator.
Mostly typical public education environment
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 13, 2018
Difficult navigating through bureaucracy of public education but the district’s move to “pay for performance “ has worked out well for me. Great place if you have a sense of purpose and are self motivated.
Pros
Pay for performance
Cons
Stifling Bureaucracy
Enjoyable part of the day
2nd grade Teacher, Adelle Turner Elementary (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 12, 2018
The kids were a highlight except a few! Stressful work environment, praises not given to teachers, any teacher I have met that left the district said they would never return. The school doesn't care about their teachers. IT doesn't fix tech issues its a waste of time. Temperature in room hot, cold, crazy. Worst school Iv'e ever worked for. Each year I thought it would get better. District was good when I worked their years ago. Maybe it was the school but horrible working environment. Everyday was a frustration state. Instructional coach a bully, etc. lacked working printers, technology, ipads, games for kids, resources, etc. I bought almost everything I used. Didn't even have enough workbooks for kids. Textbooks tore and damaged from prior years. I wish in my interview they would of told me the truth about the school and I wouldn't of taken the job.
Pros
benefits most kids
Cons
heavy workload, unsafe environment, bully
Fun, exciting,
Computer Literature Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 11, 2018
I actually wasnt applying to teach however during my interview with the dean and principal the question was asked, "how well do you know 7th &*th graders?" My response was I can tell you about my experience with the ones I have (my own) I was asked a few more question. I got the job. It shed a whole different lught on teachers and how we as parents just truly dont know. Id do it again
Pros
Smiles on the kids faces
Cons
Once a month payday
High volume of work requires collaboration with several teams
Campus Technology Administrator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 10, 2018
The IT Client services department requires daily collaborative efforts from all team members, due to the high volume of work that is required to complete the projects on your assigned campus.We support the largest Wi-Fi network in North Texas, which is used by 20,000 employees, and 154,000 students daily.
Pros
Teams are formed to support each quadrant.
Cons
No company vehicles for IT Technicians
Bilingual Teacher
Bilingual Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 9, 2018
I taught bilingual educations to limited English speaking children. The classes were taught in both English and Spanish. The native language of the children was Spanish. The idea is that you can improve their Spanish language abilities and use this to build on their English language skills.
Best Ben in the world
School Bus Driver (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXNovember 5, 2018
This was an assignment that help transport different kids to and from school. the company need an overhaul mgt that do not focus on the employee very weak union very unprofessional maintenance
Pros
Lunch
Cons
help the kids
Expecting to Perform Miracles
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 1, 2018
I chose to be an educator 18 years ago. I have truly enjoyed in the developing of minds and life skills with students. Teaching has changed. So many children have shortcomings in their ability to learn. I feel like the education system is now trying to implore classroom teachers to do the impossible. Students that are 3 grade levels behind in various subjects need the proper interventions, over time, in order to make improvements to close the learning gap. Unfortunately, many campus administrators are charged with having the "right" scores, which puts pressure on the teachers to perform miracles in order for the deficient students to pass the "test."
Great
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 23, 2018
Loved working as a teacher! The kids were awesome! The principal was very supportive! The faculty was united! The day was full of learning and very enjoyable. I felt like I worked from the moment I arrived til I drove off the lot at the end of the day. So the job was very fulfilling for me.
Pros
Great faculty! Great principal!
Cons
Too much paperwork to keep up with!!!!!
fun place to work
Specialist/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 20, 2018
I enjoyed working for Dallas ISD great manager, great environment very diverse student population the most enjoyable part of my job was working with my manager that made sure I had the best professional development
Challenging and relaxed workplace with interesting and exciting students
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 19, 2018
A substitute job is only temporary but it does prepare you and helps with your decision to become an educator. This job also helps you to meet and mingle with different educators that gives you examples and different insight on their experience throughout their years. It can very well be a job you get attached to because you become close to the children in such a short span of time but overall is it loving!
Pros
Planning periods and free lunch
Cons
Short lunch periods
Busy Work-environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 16, 2018
Business at all times and face paced, always something different on a daily basis. Due to the fast pace job was never boring. Dealing with different levels of leadership was always beneficial in learning.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Healthcare expensive
Fun job and fullfilling job
Maintenance Supervisor / H.V.A.C (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 16, 2018
being able to help the students and teacher achieve their goals in a comfortable environment was the great filling

working with a great supporting team to help the schools and staff be great was a great feeling
benefits
Cons
lack of staff
Children were treated horribly
Second Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Caesar Chavez Learning CenterOctober 13, 2018
This is a small synopsis of just some of my experience last year as a Dallas ISD teacher intern with the alternative program Compass DISD. I have many emails and proof of the experience. Just contact me on facebook, Susan Thedford Simmons, if you are interested in more. I am now in grad school pursuing my MSW.

To everyone associated with DISD, check the restrooms in your schools and take toilet paper and hand soap for your precious students. I taught second grade at Caesar Chavez Learning Center last year and the children were given no toilet paper or hand soap. Not just for a few days or weeks, but for the entire school year, the hand soap dispensers were broken in the boy's restroom and neither restroom had toilet paper at least 90% of the time. I complained about it to the Principal and Vice Principal, but the situation remained the same all year. My mentor from the Compass alternative certification program of DISD warned me that I would not be given my certification if I mentioned it anymore. I was not offered a contract for this year, even though my students achieved better test scores than the other non-ESL second-grade teacher who is still teaching in DISD and I was not awarded my teaching certification. PLEASE check the restrooms and somehow report it anonymously. Imagine how uncomfortable these small children must feel for the rest of the day when they cannot wipe after a bowel movement and how uncomfortable the girls must be with wet panties all day long.
Pros
Working with so many children who love learning and are cheated from a good school.
Cons
Lack of concern for the children's welfare by principal and district management.