Dallas Independent School District Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good place for new school nurse to work.
School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 15, 2018
DISD had a two year learning/mentorship program to help new school nurses that was excellent. It was a review of a lot of material for the different nurses who specialized in one field to be refreshed on the others.
Pros
Nice employees.
Cons
Traffic jams daily on way to and from work.
Not a Good District to work in
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 10, 2018
I have never been more disgraced with a school district. They may serve the low income families but they do not take care of their teachers. They also do not know how to be honest with job applicants. They say one thing and than they lie to your face about it. I have also been told that I am to White to work for them. This is the most racist thing for a school district to have school administrators saying to potential candidates. Very disappointed in this
Challenging but rewarding
Instructional Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 6, 2018
On a typical day depending on where I worked, it was challenging dealing with some behaviors but it was never where I could not manage the classroom; even though I might have had to get support from the staff every now and then. I enjoyed working in a diverse environment; which gave me the opportunity to learn about different cultures. In which I found to be rewarding and gave me the opportunity how to deal with different situations. The hardest part of the job was behavior and for the most part it was very enjoyable because I wanted to be there to help the students succeed.
Pros
Learning about the students and their needs
Cons
Behavior and Pay
My career with Dallas ISD was over 30 years
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 6, 2018
Developed effective and creative lesson plans to meet the need of all students and their learning styles.
Observed, evaluated, and maintained data on students/ academic progress, behavior, and social development.
Taught English as a Second Language.
Pros
Collaborative work environment
Cons
lack of parent support (sometimes)
Not given fair and equitable treatment.
Certified Bilingual Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 2, 2018
A principal with little to no experience did not know how to deal with a given situation in 2012. She provided false information against me. The Board of Directors did not provide the adequate amount of time for the decision to arrive. This would have served as the most objective opinion from an agency that the district itself contacted.
The allegations made by the students were not viewed as being justifiable or credible and were Ruled Out.
This evaluation was provided to both SBEC and TEA. As a result of my teaching credentials were never affected and remain Valid.
The district provided an ultimatum before taking the time to wait for the decision to arrive and carefully consider the evaluation rendered. My only option was to voluntarily resign and not face a non-renewal on my service record. If I was to go before the Board of Directors this letter would have served as my only objective evaluation unequivocally clearing me of any wrongdoing.
Pros
Medical insurance, dental, good salary, vacation time during holidays.
Cons
Executive Administration did not provide the adequate time before rendering a decision.
I worked for DISD 16 years. I learned a lot and don't regret the experience.
Elementary Aide (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 31, 2018
I don't regret my time with DISD. I learned a lot and pretty much enjoyed my employment. What it comes down to is being able to teach in an environment where education is appreciated. Many times students would come to school to get away from home, have two meals a day and take advantage of socializing. Most of the time I was able to do my job and enjoy teaching science. At times, not the case and would rather not go into details at this time.
Pros
Enjoyment of teaching the wonders of science was exhilerating.
Cons
Negative - students who only needed a place to escape and had no desire to learn.
productive work place
cafeteria worker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 29, 2018
depending on what part of the Dallas isd you work in the work can be different. i worked in the FCNS (food and child nutrition services) the work was fine but it was the fact that i knew the kids allergies better than the supervisor I didn't like. To me it felt like she didn't know what she was doing because she always over order on food and have to ask the staff questions about things she should know.
Pros
good timing, easy work
Cons
short breaks, no help
The work was easy
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 25, 2018
During my time at D.I.S.D. I maintained the appearance of facilities. I learned how to better my time management skills. I normally worked alone until close to the end of my shift each day. The only thing I found hard was having to constantly clean up and not be thanked for it, I enjoyed being acknowledged though.
When you find a school that loves students, stick with that school.
High School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 24, 2018
I have worked at Dallas ISD for about 18 years. Most of those years were wonderful. A typical day at work was making sure the students had what they needed to graduate.
Overall, it was a positive experience.
Substitute Educator Part time (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 20, 2018
I'm excited and happy that I had the opportunity to work for such a culturally and educationally diverse school system.
If given the opportunity, I would teach in the DallasISD once again.
Pros
Numerous choices of schools, locations, and programs to partake of.
Cons
Too much paperwork

Want to know more about Dallas Independent School District?

Ask a question
A Learning Experience
EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 20, 2018
Working at Dallas ISD was a challenge. I learned much from my time there and will continue to use the skills I attained from the job. Behavior was a constant challenge, but despite that, I had an excellent relationship with the other teachers on my campus.
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Short breaks
Review
Teacher (Former Employee) –  variousJuly 17, 2018
That is the most unprofessional place to work as a teacher. The students run the district, there is no reinforcement of positive behavior in both students or administration. The administration sleeps with its female and male students. Unprofessional behavior is encouraged. It is a low life establishment in which to work.
Pros
n/a
Cons
everything about that district is low lifted
first few years teaching
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 14, 2018
I am sure that there are fantastic schools in Dallas Independent School District, I just did not happen to be at one of those. I had my room broken into more than once and things stolen. I was threatened by students. I met some great teachers though!
Cons
never any substitutes! admin support was not great
White elephant.
Bilingual Teacher (Former Employee) –  Central Elementary, Seagoville, TX.July 13, 2018
For such a big district, I would have expected better budget and personnel administration. They follow a cyclic renewal of teachers, or so it seems to me.
Pros
Good health coverage plans.
Cons
The health plans are very expensive.
Good place to teach
1st grade and 2nd grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 12, 2018
I loved working for Dallas ISD, at least at my school when I was there. We worked hard but also made time for fun. I learned almost everything I know about the basics of being a great teacher while in Dallas ISD. My school had 3 principals in 6 years but I didn't have any complaints about any of them.
The hardest part of the job was trying to make sure each student got everything they need.
The most enjoyable part was the students.
Pros
flexible management
Teaching
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 11, 2018
Teaching in Dallas was rewarding. You can tell that you are making a real difference in the lives of students who are impacted by poverty. I taught middle school here.
Great Workplace
Instructional Coach & Distinguished Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 9, 2018
The school that I taught at was an excellent place within the district. The pay for performance system that DISD uses works well when the principles who review you have a good understanding of the efforts that are behind your student's success. The same system works poorly when the principles who review you are unaware of the efforts that have lead to the student's success. If you are not rated well within their payment system Teacher Excellence Initiative, then you will not receive a raise for the next year. The system is proven to be very unfair for experienced teachers.
Pros
Great Beginning Teacher Salary
Cons
The placement within the district determines the workplace culture
I am grateful for the opportunity to work at DISD.
BILINGUAL TEACHER, THIRD GRADE (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2018
My overall experience working of DISD was rich and rewarding. I am truly grateful for the opportunity given me to positively impact the heart and minds of the leaders of tomorrow.
Pros
A place where you are bound to grow in all areas of professionalism and excellence.
Cons
No Cons. Just be open and flexible to the process. Leave a positive impact on those you serve.
It's a work place recreation center
Multi-Skilled Craftsman (Former Employee) –  9400 north central ex wayJuly 3, 2018
Well a typical day I would receive my work oders check them out see if maybe I could take the materials from the shop to fix the problem or task at hand before comeing back to shop,if not go to job site and estimate amount of material needed....

How to deal with people and there attitudes.

It was Great.

Everyone handle there business,if any one needed help we would be assigned to them as long as needed.

To leave.

satisfaction of working with my hands and being to give back to the community what I have learned.
Pros
Air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter.
Cons
Like any where else had 2 breaks and one hour for lunch.
Fun working with people
Cook (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 1, 2018
I love working with kids i love working with people i love to do my job i love to have fun i l love to be to work on time i don't like to be late i love to talk to people many more thing