Damage Controlman Employee Reviews

N/a
PATROLMAN-US.NAVY (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 11, 2018
Basic firefighting skills that are very useful for at home and work knowledge. Can help save a life. Has long hours at times but great benefits.......
Successful if you work hard
Damage Controlman (Former Employee) –  HawaiiNovember 28, 2017
You get out of it what you put into it. It's the military and as they say, "you pick your rate, you pick your fate"! Damage Control is either you are good at it or you're not.
It's ok
Fire Marshal (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HINovember 7, 2017
Trained and instructed subordinates and supported units on shipboard firefighting, Flooding, Chemical and Biological
attacks. Also in charge of a special workforce unit that maintained all shipboard firefighting equipment and systems.
Effective decision-maker in high-pressure environments. Completed multiple fire prevention safety training.
Military firefighter
US Navy (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 13, 2017
Typical day at work from 7 am-5 pm, i was supervisor of 6 personnel, I lead and thought the correct way to do maintenance on life saving equipment. I learned a lot from obeying orders to staying calm when working in a stressed environment. i learned leadership/ management skill.
high speed/high stress working environment not meant for weakhearted
Technician/Installer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 17, 2016
General day acts like a day at the office, except our office is on a ship, and our job is to maintain systems and lifesaving equipment like air bottles and packs, fire suppression systems, and giving training to all crew members on how to do our job.

I've learned highly efficient time management, cooperation skills, technical and mechanical trade and fire prevention and safety techniques.I've learned that ability to be a leader and direct others when no one else is able to or is not very well trained to do so.

That's thrown in with other trainings going on, last second decision jobs that should have been done in the morning and are now being done at 6 pm at night. constant back and forth "what are we doing now?" confusion from all sides. and the best part? THEY DON'T HAVE TO LET YOU GO HOME. IF they need you to stay, you're staying.

Stress is always a high factor and management skills from upper echelons on down are poor. Co-workers are either best friends till death or the sneakiest S.O.B.S in the underground.

The hardest part about this job is finding ways to get yourself correctly recognized. Either you're the best or you're the worst in your job class. To advance is as much a dog and pony show as it is a luck of the draw.

the most enjoyable part is, at the end of the day when all the work is through, and you're finally let off to go home..... the smiles on your families faces as you see the pride in their eyes. That is what makes it all worth it.
Pros
Free lunches, paid leave, You get to work with fire, You a bada**mother, No one messes with you.
Cons
short breaks, heavy stress loads, moving 300 lb. objects by yourself, repeatedly, dealing with moronic people.
Experience in the Military
Municipal Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 5, 2016
The military was a great experience for me. Being able to travel the world, learn my job and interact with so many different types of people was something I'll remember towards future careers. It was a learning experience and I was proud to put my life on the line and choose such a demanding career as Fire Fighting. Being able to know my job and train others on the ship was the most enjoyable part. It taught me leadership and the value of teamwork.
The US navy is an excellent stepping stone to later endeavors.
team leader (Former Employee) –  United States Navy, USS Patriot.October 10, 2015
As an imigrant, serving in the US Navy was a great opportunity to show my appreciation for the chance for socioeconomic upward mobility. As a sailor, I was given the chance to learn many skills particular in the area of damage control and firefighting.
Pros
A family oriented work environment.
Cons
many tasks were routine and predictable.
US Navy
Damage Controlman (Former Employee) –  San Deigo, CaMay 22, 2015
I was in the navy for 15 years but I was a damage control man for 12 years and loved being one. I was on 5 different types of navy ships which I learned a lot about the ways each ship was set-up
U.S.Navy Damage Controlman
Damage controlman (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 11, 2015
Its a different life but it has its perks. You learn the importance of doing your job right and how it affects everything you do out at sea. You learn about shipboard firefighting, aviation firefighting, engineering equipment, etc. Its not for the faint of heart but its something you will always remember and be proud of if you do it right and honest. You get to travel and have benefits only in the military. But you have to lookout for yourself.
Pros
Travel, healthcare, military benefits.
Cons
Long hours, away from home and family a lot.
Its the Coast Guard
team member and an individual when required (Former Employee) –  High seas of the USAApril 2, 2015
13 years served. Many different locations and job types. There is no same day. Lot of cultural differences in meeting others stationed with you.
Great service
Security Officer, United States Navy (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 1, 2014
Proud to service my country. great way to see the world and learn a skill and grow as a person.
Navy reserves
Northwest Lineman College Community Service-helped (Current Employee) –  Paradise, CAJuly 1, 2014
Navy reserves I have learned a lot more on the political side of the military.
U.S Navy
Training Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 14, 2014
The Navy was a very rewarding job. The work place was always in a team setting. The mind set of the people that I served with was, no job too small or no job is too big. The Navy has given me the training and experience to face any challenge set before me.
Pros
Great benifits and retirement.
Cons
The time lost from having to leave my family over long periods of time can't ever be made up.