Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Employee Reviews

Competitive benefits but toxic culture
Research Project Manager II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 6, 2019
This is probably typical of healthcare, but staff are barely considered real people. It's a sad feudal system run by and for MDs. The upside is having clinical research experience and a prestigious institution on your resume is helpful for job growth elsewhere.
So proud
Administrative Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 27, 2019
I will forever be grateful and proud of my work at Dana-Farber. I worked for one of the best Breast Cancer Surgeons in the Country and many other world-class faculty.
Pros
Great benefits
3 years there
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 24, 2019
Great People and Environement. Pay could be better for the amount of work done. Upper Management could be more attentive to staff. Great stepping stone for a promising future.
Clinical Administrative Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 16, 2019
Great place to work, awesome benefits! If you like to have face to face interactions with patients this is a great place to work. The staff and employees are all a pleasure to work with and get to know!
Accounts Receivable Specialist
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Brookline, MAJanuary 4, 2019
It was good at the beginning but slowly started to see the divided in the office with certain people but I didn't get mixed up in the office politics, I was friendly to everyone.
Poor management
Patient Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milford, MAJanuary 3, 2019
Management often shows favoritism and at times is not professional in their decision making.
Office staff not well managed, conflicting personalities, not healthy environment. Manager big part of this.
Pros
Good pay; close proximity to home; working with patients a blessing; best nurses
Cons
No breaks; constantly switching work stations due to petty jealousy
Great
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 27, 2018
Excellent environment and facilities. Probably one of the higher paying hospitals around the Boston community. Am only sponsored at DFCI but seems pretty great.
Great place to work with great people working hard for patients
New Patient Coordinator, Gynecologic Oncology (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 19, 2018
Everybody i worked with was friendly and kind and always helpful. I learned so much at this job something new everyday. The management was great. Always willing to help and step in when necessary.
Worse place to work and Racists in Radiation Oncology Depart especially the Director.
Senior Scientist, Department of Medical Oncology (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 5, 2018
No research, no management, no human rights and no benefits, nothing they care about their employees. Even no holidays! You work hard and smart but you deserved nothing!
Dana Farber
Practice Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Milford, MADecember 5, 2018
Love working here at DFCI. I am looking to grow in the oncology field and be a bigger part in impacting the patient- even if it is behind the scenes and no patient contact- you make a difference.
Senior Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 3, 2018
Pros

Working on projects helps patients and furthers important research on various oncology disease groups

Cons

Tediousness of some of the responsibilities
Strong Nurse Automony
SATELLITE PROGRAM NURSE (Current Employee) –  Milford, MAOctober 31, 2018
DFCI is a great place to work, management is as transparent as possible, culture can be difficult at times when staffing is an issue. The most enjoyable part of the job is connection with patients.
People who works there have different experience and point of view.
Senior Scientist, Department of Medical Oncology (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 25, 2018
I've only improved my flow cytometry skill there. It doesn't matter how much you contributed to the projects,They don't treat their employees equally.
Never again
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 16, 2018
I would never work Dana Farber again !! Escpecially Y10 they treat the employee like dawgs and don’t care what happen to them . The Management on Y10 is very bad . Favoritism is the bigs problem on Y10 and the fact the lead Medical is so unprofessional
Pros
Pay
Cons
Lunch only 30 mins and healthcare expensive
Fantastico centro di ricerca
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 15, 2018
Ottimo centro ricerca, molto internazionale e molto avanzato tecnologicamente
Can be a wonderful place to work depending on the manager
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 4, 2018
I was fortunate to start my career here and had the most supportive manager and team. I had a wonderful experience and was promoted to take on new challenges and responsibilities. Unfortunately with that new role came a new manager. This new role and manager were a poor fit for me, which is unfortunate because I love the Institution. It can be a wonderful place to work as long as you are on the right team with the right manager for you.
Pros
Great professional experience, lots of professional development opportunities, great benefits
Cons
Short Breaks, Culture of distrusting employees, inflexibility to change
Collaborative culture and really patient-centered
CRC (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 3, 2018
dfci is a great place that does a lot of amazing things for patients and i think could do more for their staff. people work really hard and should be better paid for it.
Pros
colleagues, patient-centered, special sauce
Cons
compensation, career growth, lack of diversity
great work environment
Patient Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 27, 2018
everyone really works well with each other, support staff in all areas job and non job related. provides excellent care of patients and also keeps their employees happy.
Pros
workplace culure
Cons
parking
Great volunteer /extracurricular meet up type of activities
Logistics/ Inventory managment (Current Employee) –  27 Drydock Ave, Boston, maSeptember 18, 2018
Great culture, great people overall. W/ very hard working staff. Slightly poor upper management regarding execution on overall inventory management. I say that not easily, for I really like it here, and have stuck it out, but a little slow paced on something., If I'm being honest. Again, great culture and the benefits are amazing, it does give you that work/life balance at least for my department, for rules vary for each department. But overall could be better.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Salary/ Huurly wise not as competitive as it could be.
Job Advancement
Patient Access Specialist - Referrals (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 17, 2018
I was able to learn and grow very quickly. I quickly mastered the basics of the job requirements and excel above what was asked. I proven to be dependable and resourceful. Everyone agreed I was a team player and came to me for advice/assistance. I was acknowledge by management for my work and contribution but when it came down to promotion opportunities and career advancement I was discouraged. I was seeking for a leadership position but it was suggested that I lack the experience.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, friendly coworkers, benefits
Cons
career advancement, compensation for acknowledge of contribution to success

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Reviews by Location