DANVILLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

Don't work here unless your retired
BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAJune 9, 2019
If your bored at home retired this is a great place for you. The drivers are great to work with but management is terrible. They don't have any type of benefits at all. Your good work will always go unnoticed with vacation time being earned monthly and they roll over year to year. Oh and with class B drivers license and children passengers urine test are required on the regular.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
No benifits
Fun Summer Camp
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Danville, KYApril 9, 2019
I worked as a STEAM camp counselor. A typical day includes coming early to help get kids to where they need to go, and go to my own classroom to help my teacher set up for the day. I learned how to not only work with kids, but with adults. The managers of the camps are the teachers and they are all so nice. There are so many types of teachers and classes that are provided and it is so great! The hardest part was leaving after each summer, but the most enjoyable part was coming back the summer after.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Love working with the children and staff fun place to work
Assiatant Manager (Current Employee) –  Danville, ILMarch 27, 2019
My day at work consist of being the most productive i can be not only preparing foodfor that day but prepping for the next day or two as well. Also its a pleasure working with the children and seeing the smiles on there face when you prepare delicious meals that they like.
Environment is as a general rule pleasant
Federal Program Clerk (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAJanuary 28, 2019
Over the years things have begun to change and more and more people that I know are starting to retire. I have been there almost 15 years and am ready to see what else is available.
Pros
Very good benefits
Excellent benefits
Instructional Support Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Danville, VANovember 17, 2018
Work is very detailed oriented. Strong commitment to excellence. Code of professionalism is required. Benefits are excellent-paid time off, sick leave, insurance.
Working with teachers to help ensure our children are getting the services they need is rewarding.
Benefits
Cons
Sometimes distribution of work is not equitable
Great employer and great co-workers.
Middle Grades Lead Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Danville, VANovember 8, 2018
A typical work day was 7 am - 3:00 pm. Amazing management. Very supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with students that have a desire to learn and were intrinsically motivated.
one on one with a student
Behavioral aid (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAOctober 18, 2018
I work with several students enjoyed the work. it was a different behavior everyday never the same. There were good days and every once in a while not so good.
poor managment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Danville, VASeptember 19, 2018
poor staff don't return calls very disrespectful towards staff refuse to hire when have the experience to be full time give jobs to other people with out experience
Pros
staff
Cons
breaks
Went downhill over years, became a stressful, unpleasant place to work.
teacher (Former Employee) –  Danville, INAugust 19, 2018
A school that wants to look good to outsiders, but that doesn’t value its teachers. The school would like to be on the cutting edge of everything, but in truth they push their teachers to do things that create an unhealthy environment.
Many inner city school challenges
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAJuly 29, 2018
Workplace has been unstable for past four years. Low pay and medical benefits are low end. There is a huge turnover in employees and the management has a large turnover as well.
management
Teachers Assistance (Current Employee) –  Danville, ILJuly 22, 2018
I work with students. I assist and manage the lunch room. I assist the teachers and help manage the rooms. I run errands as needed. I do alot. I love my job.
For the strong at heart only!!!
Inclusion Teacher (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAJune 25, 2018
DPS is a low income school district with high student volume and need. Teachers often developed a negative disposition instead of deciding to be a part of the solution and reflect how they could incorporate change to make a difference in the lives of their co-workers, parents and students.

Overall it was an effective experience and I was able to find a way to work with the staff, building a rapport with families and coming to an understanding of how to relate to each of my students, parents and co-workers.

The hardest part of the job was finding time to effectively do my job. A typical day would include co-teaching, resource classes, IEP meetings, staff meetings, grade meetings, and after school meetings. I often worked at home late into the night or stayed at work until nightfall trying to get caught up on paperwork.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the students. They were so smart and funny and eager for hugs and praise and I gave them all that I had. I looked forward to seeing them everyday. I was waiting for their arrival every morning and said, "so glad you chose to come to school today, good to see you!"That's the most important part of the job, building that rapport- It opens the door for all kinds of student and teacher success.
Love the environment and the small beautiful faces I serve everyday.
Child Nutritionist (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAMay 30, 2018
Love working with the children. Very flexible schedule if you need time off. Proud to be apart of the system. Pleasant environment and friendly staff.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible hours.
Cons
Short breaks, not enough benefits.
Total Chaos and Insanity
Middle School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAApril 17, 2018
Have you ever met a 26 year old grandmother? I didn’t either until I worked for DPS. I worked at a middle school and 90% of my day was spent trying to keep kids from being out of control so that I could teach. 10% of my day was spent in actual teaching. Disruptive behavior and cursing is so normal that none of it warranted an office referral. It was the norm and you are the strict and strange teacher for writing up a child for that and wasting administrative time. Don’t call home either because the parents don’t have working phones, and if they do, the school doesn’t have the number. I was told if I could survive there one year I could make it anywhere and I did... then I got out as soon as I could. Half these other reviews say Danville CA and NOT Danville VA. Look closely. Lots of others don’t even work in education but public works etc.. This is sad to see the change in Danville schools too. It’s not the Danville I was born and raised in.
Pros
Adversity makes staff tight and dedicated, Loving Teachers
Cons
Classroom Discipline, Management and Expectations
Having a great time for my first year.
General Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAFebruary 9, 2018
On most days, I teach six classes a day with a combined total of kids at 520. I organize age appropriate lessons and programs for my students based around holidays, PBIS themes, and the combination of different curriculums, like Quaver and Music Express. I love working with my specialist team and being able to see all the other teachers and grade levels. I know every students' name. The atmosphere is great. The hardest part of my job is keeping up with every class and remembering where we left off in previous lessons. I love my days when I get to greet students and work with my choir and students who are musically engaged. Schoolfield Elementary and Danville Public Schools is a great place to start your teaching career.
Pros
Free lunches for students, kind staff, insurance
Cons
short breaks, communication among staff and teams
Not worth the stress
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAFebruary 4, 2018
This job is far more stress than the pay is worth. This is partly due to an unmanagable and unruly student population. It is mainly due to the absolutely awful management. The principals do not support you, the security officers are absent and do very little, and there is no impetus for change. I would not recommend this job to anyone looking to actually teach. Your job is to go in, appease the students, don't irritate their parents, and stay out of the way of the principals. If you can manage that, go for it.
Cons
No support, poor management
Great School
Behavior Specialist For Special needs (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAFebruary 1, 2018
I love this school, I was a teacher assistant for this school and it is ia great school and place to work for. Teachers and principals were excellent.
Great team
Lead Custodian (Former Employee) –  Danville, KYJanuary 23, 2018
Good environment,great equipment,I really enjoyed my job,the people,the training was good,I liked the way the maitenance crew worked along side us to fix things
Pros
Hours
Cons
No overtime
It all depends on the principal you work for.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Danville, ILJanuary 11, 2018
The last principal I had was a total joke. Not everyone in the district is bad but when the Director of Human Resources has a daughter who is a poor principal, disasters continually happen.

In special education, the paperwork load is phenomenal but I think they are working on that.

Colleagues were great.
great corporation to work for
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  Danville, ILJanuary 2, 2018
I would still be there. However, we are moving out of state. It is a climate controlled workplace. The staff is helpful and encouraging. Administrators listen to staff concerns.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Disrespectful teenagers