Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
Happiness rating is 61 out of 100

Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Employee Reviews

United States519 reviews

Fast paced and professional

Management is helpful and easy to work with. The remote work from home position is nice however you miss the personal connection and can sometimes feel like a number.

Alot of risks and hardwork with very little reward

If you’re someone who goes to work and works hard and does everything by the book or by “how you were trained” with the expectation of guaranteed support from your peers ,and management….Then this is not the place for you. If you make any small mistake, depending on where you are in the social hierarchy ; this alone will be a determining factor of your future… no matter how small the mistake ,it is certain that the existing company biases will cost you a lot in your position and eventually your job with no prior warnings.

Pros

Great people to work with throughout the facility

Cons

See above

Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Dont work in housekeeping

managers are unrealistic with expectations because of low staffing always trying to create problems with your work unprofessionalism all around and not enough pay to be treated poorly

Pros

Job security benefits

Cons

Managers, Rude nurses, unrealistic standards

Great job security

Healthy work environment, great work/home balance, remote call center position with lots of support. Plenty of room for growth. Pay isn’t the best but the work isn’t rocket science

Great coworkers, terrible management

Some great people work here, the vision & goals are fantanstic. However, the message is lost between the Top and the Middle management.There is a huge disconnect between the organizational values and the message sent by middle managers. Most coworkers are absolutely wonderful, but immediate supervisors are ridiculously overworked and pushed beyond their scope and knowledge, and this creates a very unstable work environment.

Busy place

It’s a stressful job at times but there’s good co workers. Some become like family. If you have a good supervisor and manager that’s a huge help. You will have good days and bad just like any other job. The hospital finally raised its pay and gave out decent raises. It’s an expensive area to live but a beautiful one. Depending on your job it’s an enjoyable place to work over all.

Pros

Free gym, decent benefits. Good food options

Cons

Stressful sometimes. Some employees are rude

Good pay, bad management

It took about a month to actually start working. Had an interview then had to wait about three weeks before I could start due to orientation dates. The job I took is different then what was in the job description and my supervisors told me that they don’t put everything in the job description because they won’t get any applicants. Training takes a few weeks. I trained with a few different co workers. I never really see my supervisors and they don’t really talk or tell me anything. I wasn’t told how to check my work email, set up direct deposit or anything about the benefits. I guess they expect you to figure it out yourself.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Management isn’t really helpful, coworkers are tough at times

Could use some improvement

Dartmouth isn’t a terrible place to work, but in my experience so far the management style could use a little work. Compensation isn’t quite as good as other places, and seems a little unbalanced.

Patients lack support

My hospital stay and interaction with oncologist was difficult. the staff to support discharge and my family’s struggles with my cancer diagnosis lacked experience and offered minimal comfort. I hope this hospital can invest in training staff in how to treat cancer patients and families with care. DH hospital‘s doctors and care teams are focused on being better and not caring for patients with cancer. So much time is wasted with staff filling out paperwork, on cell phones and more time is needs to go directly to patient care and family support therapy to get through this very difficult time.

Great place to start off your medical career

I started my medical career working at DH as a Clinical Scribe. I was hired right after graduating from university and was made to feel at home by an enthusiastic and caring team. The nature of the job can be high-stress as providers are caring for patients with complex medical conditions, and many tasks are time-sensitive. However, I always felt supported by my coworkers and supervisor, and hard work did not go unnoticed. I learned a great deal in this role and it prepared me well to continue on in medicine. Excellent job for folks who want to go on to medical/PA school or other medical professional schools.

Co workers and managers were great when I was there. I still miss them!!

other than waking up at 5am to go to work I would say working here is great! My co-workers were awesome and were very inclusive during lunch breaks and locker room chats before work. My managers were Nice and kept encouraging me to do my best.

I worked there 25 years and retired from DHMC

I worked there for 25 years, so I must have liked to place. Many critical patients provided a stimulating work environment. From staff nurse to clinical coordinator the positions were always rewarding.

Ok depending on what you do

It’s just meh, if you don’t mind working in a place where you are just a number you should be fine. The job I had was very boring and there was not a lot of attempt by management to keep me busy.

Pros

Good hours, weekends off

Cons

So so pay

The politics at this place of employment are strong.

I had won an award at work and lost my job as I was not in the "click." Work was made awful as it was felt that someone in the click should have won.

Pros

Cons

Management shows favorites, is not accepting and has specific "clicks". If you are not accepted in the click, you will lose your job.

Caring medical professionals

People in staff at the mid levels are not treated as equals compared to people with MD and PhD degrees. Staff are not treated as equals to clinicians. There are many hard working wonderful clinicians but those supporting them are less recognized. There is a long way to go with diversity, equity and inclusion but they are trying.

Pros

decent benefits, working from home is great

Cons

no job security, advancement or respect for mid-level staff

Petty and unprofessional workplace that fails to provide adequate care for patients and support for employees

I was very disappointed in my experience at DHMC. Management was unprofessional and substandard, producing mediocre outcomes. Employees were not judged by quality but on how much they touted the company line and sucked up to management. Forming relationships with clinical staff was looked down upon, it was an us vs. them mentality, always on the defense.

Pros

There are some great people

Cons

Healthcare, management

Political environment that is lethal to one's career.

After having the experiences of my mother being a patient, me having my internship as well as being employed at DHMC, I would never set foot in that facility as a patient, visitor or employee again. The political culture is caustic and vindictive. Unprofessional incompetent bullies have congregated and run units by proxy at the expense of others. Sentinel events are laundered while the behavior of perpetrators is fostered and sanctioned. I never felt safe there professionally, politically or personally. Staff who are educated, qualified and competent are targeted by groups with members who are unprofessional, crass and substandard. Small gangs are in positions of authority and generate expensive turnover with no regard for patient safety or fiscal responsibility. The facility belongs to them, and they function without restraint or accountability.

Pros

Very good food in the coffee shop.

Cons

Parking, distance between units, staff, administration, culture, lack of cleanliness.

Rewarding and good pace for this area

The hospital really cares about their employees and their satisfaction esp with covid making our jobs more difficult. There's room for growth and nice people here.

it used to be great

The culture changed during covid and not in a good way, it became toxic, no longer patient-centered. Current high-level management has destroyed what was a once functional caring system.

The good is the people i worked with, the bad is the poor management and lack of appreciation for employees

I learned a lot working in the operating rooms, could be something that went down during surgery, and I would have to go in and trouble shoot the issue and repair it.

Pros

Before COVID-19 there was always food gatherings with your coworkers, weather everyone chipped in or a Dr. Had a very good day and wanted to buy pizza for everyone

Cons

Lack of appreciation from management

Wonderful co-workers

Great co-workers and other medical professionals. Management was challenging, we got a new nurse manager who changed the culture of the unit. The greater management of the hospital was frustrating to work for.

Pros

Co-workers, felt supported, great work-life balance

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight