Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Come for the name, leave to find opportunity
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHJune 14, 2018
The DHMC organization is facing many difficult times. As a physician centric organization, nurses and ancillary staff are treated in second-class manner. We do not get educational benefits or opportunities for continuing education. Pay is not competitive. Leadership is weak or non-existent. There are exceptional departments, but by definition they are the exception. The organization is furiously spinning it's wheels to improve working conditions while deftly avoiding the true areas of difficulty.
Pros
The Ivy League name
Cons
The poor working environment.
Worth the Drive
LNA (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHJune 5, 2018
I travel over an hour to work at this location when I have multiple hospitals with 15-20 mins from my home- that tells you something. I float the building and enjoy learning new things throughout and meeting all new people (employees and patients).
Very Stressful
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHJune 5, 2018
DHMC is a very stressful place to work. The demands are high and the recognition is low. The pay is not great and employees can be very cut-throat. I would not recommend it unless you are very hard up..
Does not value their employees
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHMay 21, 2018
Management spent years arguing why you don't deserve promotions or pay increases. Only offer it as a last resort to get you back, once you leave and move on to a better situation. Was offered more money and a better position to get me back, considered it until I found out how underpaid I was.
Exactly how it feels
Licensed Nurses Assistant / Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHMay 16, 2018
This is a very big company that feels just like it should. You are one in a million at this job, easily replaced and not very welcomed. As an LNA there I was overworked and undervalued but it was a great starting job to get me on my feet and I appreciated the role models that I took from the company.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHMay 13, 2018
Great place to work for that encourages advancement from within. Work environment can sometimes be stressful due to workload. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable.
Pros
Encourage advancement from within and continuing education
Cons
compensation
Productive work environment
Dietetic Host (Former Employee) –  Hanover, NHMay 9, 2018
In this position, I delivered food trays, that followed the specific protocols for each unit while maintaining patient's safety, proper food handling and hygiene and always being conscious of HIPPA and patient privacy. Took food orders, removed trays, I also was responsible for cleaning and restocking service areas and the kitchens in each unit. During my time at this job, I have learned a lot about patient care and just hospitality in general.
Good place to work while in College
Service Center Rep 1 (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NHMay 8, 2018
Per diem, flexible hours especially for college students. Training is decent. It can take some times, ever day something new happens and sometimes the most you can do is ask and then send a message.
Pros
Good managment
Cons
Late nights
Loved working for one of the biggest employer in the Upper Valley
Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHMay 1, 2018
you're always doing something, and your day seems to fly by especially if you work for a busy department. Most of the people who work there are great to work with.
Pros
Great place to work & great benefits
Cons
Can be a little political
Make it what you want
Orthopaedic Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHApril 29, 2018
DHMC has many opportunities to engage in the work that interests. If you are a nurse, physician assistance, medical assistant, or LNA - it is a great opportunity!
Great job for getting through college
Patient Service Center Representative II (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NHApril 27, 2018
Love this job! Started when I was first out of high school then into college. The supervisors are great and worked with me to make my schedule fit around school. Planning on staying until I graduate
unstable
Mohs Tech/ Histology (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHApril 26, 2018
high stress, everyone seemed unhappy, mangement didnt encourage advacement infact they tried to keep you from doing things to advance, pay not good for the area very expensive to live here. hardest part of the job was trying to make friends and get to know you coworkers they are very cold and not friendly at all, best part was the experience I can now put on my resume.
First day
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHApril 25, 2018
My very first day training i was a first responder to a shooting. After the first couple of weeks security was strict, later in the months that followed nothing happened to enhance security. There was a debrief about a week after but no follow up at all from management nor higher ups. there was also no care to check in with staff on how they were handling after the shooting.
Patient Focused 100%
Management (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHApril 25, 2018
An organization that strives to provide best regional patient care. Dartmouth Hitchcock is a leader among national healthcare organizations and leads the way in research and population health.
Bad work environment
MEDICAL ASSISTANT/EXTERNSHIP (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHApril 20, 2018
constant multiple call outs, no work ethic in the workplace, management is never around, no praise for extra work. Lack of motivation from other employees
Opportunity for Professional Advancement
Transfusion Service Section Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHApril 16, 2018
Professional development and career advancement. Supportive working environment. Competitive benefits package including generous amount of vacation time.
Great Place to Work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHApril 6, 2018
Work life balance is great. The health system is growing and so job stability is high, even for non-clinical staff. Location is far North and travel here is tough in the winter, so you would have to live up this way if you are a clinical staff person. They are getting better about non-patient facing staff being able to work remotely but it's still not embraced in all areas of the organization.
Pros
Excellent Patient Care, Work/Life Balance, Motivated Staff
Cons
Location and Salaries are a little lower than southern regions
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, NHApril 5, 2018
Dartmouth was a great place to work. The nurse residency program was very helpful as a new nurse and everyone there is so supportive. It truly is a team environment and everyone wants what is best for the patients.
Great Organization
Registration Representative (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHApril 3, 2018
Great place to work! as a per diem registration rep and as a float, I can be at various places throughout the day covering for different desks. I typically cover lunches for others while having my own assignment for the day as well. My typical work day is 8 hours but there is an opportunity for some over time hours. My supervisors and managers are some of the best people and they are typically very flexible. They understand you have a life outside of work. The hardest part about my job for me personally is not knowing which desk I am going to be covering until I come into work that day. Dartmouth is a great organization to work for!
Pros
long lunches, friendly faces, everyone is willing to help
Cons
unorganized schedule at times
Great place to learn new skills
CSR Technician (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, NHMarch 25, 2018
This is a learning hospital. It’s not the best place to work but it’s certainly not the worst. I have made friends here and have met some truly remarkable people. I think if you show up to work with a positive, good attitude, you will enjoy your experience here.

It is a huge facility. Lots of room for growth and always something new to learn if you are ready for a challenge.

The parking is a joke. They seriously need to add more employee parking. Maybe a employee parking garage?

All and all, it’s not bad. Not bad at all.
Pros
Good people. Easy to transfer to a different department
Cons
You can get better benifets at other companies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight