Darvin Furniture Employee Reviews

Consultative Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILSeptember 20, 2017
Friendly. Owners and managers care about the employees. Long days and short days. Still closes early on weekends. Pay is above average for this business
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Huge showroom to cover
Eh
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILAugust 21, 2017
Would not recommend this job for the younger working class. The pace of the job is up and down, with not much to show for it. But I learned a lot about myself working there, which has provided me the experience and knowledge to move forward in life.
Great owners to work with
Assistant Front Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, ILJuly 10, 2017
A typical day at work is constant changes you never know what to expect until you arrive and decide what is the most important task to begin and take it from there.

The one thing I have learned it is very important that its not about your job you have to appreciate what everyone else has to accomplish in what tools then need from you to make their job easier and try to work together as a team.

The hardest part of the job is long working hours and never getting a weekend off and only 2-paid holidays a year and the crazy point system.

The best part of the job was working with the Darvins
Pros
Great Health care and many free lunches from vendors
Cons
The hours are to much to have a social balance in your life
Dont let your life come to this.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mokena, ILApril 19, 2017
You will never advance in the company, will be treated like a kindergartner in the Chicago public school system and struggle to put food on the table with your joke of a salary. Save yourself now!
Pros
You might have weekends off.
Cons
Everything.
Excellent staff and owners were very friendly and supportive
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILMarch 13, 2017
Payroll first then usually a meeting in the afternoon. Answering emails and problems with customers financing issues. Huge customer service base and keeping a potential buyer on a close watch to make sure the financial deal was closed. Time and attendance and interviews in the early evening.
Easy job
Front Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILFebruary 22, 2017
no typical day, always something new
what i learned is to not buy furniture from here
management was unorganized and unfair
coworkers made the work environment a fun place
hardest part of the job was being told you cannot go to lunch when it is time for you to go to lunch
most enjoyable part of the job was eating in the office
Team Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New Lenox, ILOctober 31, 2016
Phones start from 9am to 5:30pm, have to be on phones all day.
work with all types of customer with different issues including furniture, mattress's, plus setting up services for repair, ordering parts.
Working with all furnitue manufactures, to help sove issues for customers regarding repair, exchanges, parts.
Very fast past office, never look at the clock.
My co workers are a great team, we help each other all the time,
with issues, ideas, we work very well as a team.
The hardest part of the job is keeping up with computer issues daily, and customers issues that sometimes take alot of time and effort.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the co- workers, when we get stressed, extra busy, phones don't stop ringing, we all jump in to help. But most of all we make each other laugh.
Pros
Good Healthcare, management team to help.
Cons
short lunches only 30 minutes go by very fast!.
Terrific Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILJuly 18, 2016
Family business, owners in touch with employees, supportive and great team environment. Strong product line to sell and vendor reps were very supportive.
Pros
Selling the high end goods
Cons
there is nothing bad to say about Darvin.
darvin
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orland Park, IL 60462June 24, 2016
overall great saff learned alot working here. management is great was ableto work with my schedule,learned how to do card answer phones.
Pros
was able to learn alot while work less then a month
Cons
lunches run late
Good Company
assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Mokena, ILApril 28, 2016
Always busy with much work to do which I liked because I enjoy having work to do and not be bored. Great co-workers and teamwork, fun to work with, and always willing to help other co-workers. Most managers were good but some needed to learn how to be "managers" and treat employees with respect.
Pros
Healthcare, great co-workers, sometimes free lunches
Cons
low pay raises
Productive work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILNovember 7, 2015
I worked with Darvin Furniture for a little over 3 years and it helped me understand a healthy and productive work environment. I was able to train in multiple areas (i.e. handling money transactions, financing, receptionist, etc). The time that I spent there was enjoyable, but I am looking for a new experience.
Nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mokena, ILSeptember 4, 2015
For many years Darvin was a fun place to work with great people to work with. We were like a big family. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my colleagues and being a team. Also, I received great pleasure when I was able to help a customer out and they were happy with the end result. There were a few great managers there which helped when we had bad days with the customers. A few years ago Darvin added a few new managers and they made the workplace very stressful and many people left because the whole atmosphere changed.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Terrible pay
diverse
sales (Current Employee) –  Orland parkNovember 4, 2014
it was alot of work for very little pay
a lot of data entry
very big staff for a furniture store
Pros
diverse
Cons
no money
Basic Office with cubicles.
SWITCHBOARD/ GENERAL OFFICE/ PICK-UP OFFICE (Current Employee) –  Mokena, ILApril 4, 2014
Working on the switchboard, Handling filing of orders and jobs. Speaking to drivers if they have a delivery issue. Pick-up office, handling orders and customers. Handling cash, counting the register and closing orders. I also organize orders daily for warehouse employees. My co-workers are very nice and fun to with along side. Being able to balance every job in a daily basis. They allow us time to go and have parent teacher conferences and functions.
Pros
During special events managers might order us lunch
Cons
Healthcare is high.
Good work experience
Front Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILNovember 3, 2013
As a front office associate, I had many responsibilities that always kept me busy. From customer service to general office duties, there was always something to do. The large staff was very friendly. My manager was always willing to let me challenge myself with different tasks.
Pros
Great office experience
Cons
Less hours than I would prefer
Better if you are part of the union
Lift truck driver (Former Employee) –  Mokena, ILMay 8, 2012
A typical day at work consisted of driving a lift truck to piles of furniture and then placing that furniture into 25 foot tall shelves, as well as retrieving that furniture from the shelves and loading them into customer vehicles.

The most important thing that I learned at this job was how to drive a fork lift and lift truck.

Management at this job was very nice to the union members who were full time, but were cruel and unfair to the part time employees who weren't part of the union. They also offered almost no opportunities to become full time and never gave raises.

The co-workers were very nice although it was always split by union and non union workers.

The hardest part of the job was just trying to keep up with the pace that the company set for us to work by, although it was always do-able.

I liked the job because it was stable and driving lift trucks and fork lifts is something that I am good at.
Cons
no respect for non union, shortened breaks, unreasonable management