DATTCO Employee Reviews

is a nice place to work
van monitor (Current Employee) –  Middletown, CTNovember 28, 2018
the van driver and I transport kids from their homes to school daily .My job in the van is to monitor the kids to make sure the students behave on the van for a safety ride to the schools
They are compassionate .
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Bethel, CTSeptember 28, 2018
As crazy as it seems after 3 years of working for Dattco I chose to pursue a school bus driving job at a neighboring town . My enticement was more money . This comparison of school bus companies opened my eyes to how great Dattco of Bethel really was And how poorly the other comp.was managed. I am truely hoping the Towns of Redding and Easten keep Dattco as their School Bus Co. I came back to Dattco after the over whelming demands of the other comp.that put me in the Hospital. Dattco welcomed me back with open arms.
Pros
They will make time to listen and if you need more time you can get that too.
Cons
Sometimes you need to be patient .
great place to work if you have children to care for.
CDL PS driver (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, CTSeptember 21, 2018
typical day at work is driving a bus full of children to and from school. Other employee's are helpful when they are not being stressed out. Management is great except for a few managers who simply fill a seat.
Pros
children frendly
Cons
dress code not controlled
Bus driver
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTAugust 29, 2018
Taking children to school in the morning and taking them home after school I also drove a coach bus which I would drive on the weekends and do charters
Pros
Working charters
Cons
Driving MCI busses rather drive Vanhool
Fun place to work
School Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 7, 2018
It was a good place to work. They just need to give more hours and to be more fair when it comes to charter work. But other than that its an awesome company to work for.
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTAugust 1, 2018
Quick-paced work environment, definitly a good place to work if you want to learn. Raises are there if you work for them, paid training for advancement
Company morals suck managment
Dispatcher/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJuly 27, 2018
When I first started at this company all was so nice until the present Manager started. He racist. Treats the employee's with disrespect. The employees I worked with left to because of this manager.
Pros
Nice Employees
Cons
Bad Manager
Great place
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Plainville, CTJuly 4, 2018
Its a great place to work you meet some great people it does get a little stressful at times you feel good driving children safely to and from school.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Benefits are not good at all
Great Supplemental income
school bus driver (Former Employee) –  Avon, CTJune 28, 2018
This was hands down one of the most rewarding jobs I've ever had. Bringing kids to school gives you a sense of purpose. Co-worker interaction was always fun, it was like a family, and it was easy to learn from each others experiences. If the pay wasn't so low, I would have loved to keep that job as a career for the rest of my life. But I couldn't afford minimal rent with what they were paying, let alone anything else. I sincerely hope that states realize the value of bus drivers and eventually pay them a livable wage.
Pros
Short work days, fun atmosphere, can be challenging or easy work depending on your route, reliable work
Cons
extremely low pay
Perfect Job if You Are Self-Responsible
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJune 25, 2018
This job is fairly stress-free if you know what is expected of you and you are able to accomplish these standards independently in order to best reflect your team at your assigned terminal. The company pays pretty competitively and a lot of their yards offer yearly raises and runs pretty well on a seniority basis. Hard work is recognized and it is a very well run family operation that I am really happy to be a part of.
Pros
Bring Kids to Work, Appreciation, Work Independently
Cons
Full-Time Hours are Hard to Accomplish When You First Start
Proud Bus Driver
School Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTJune 21, 2018
Overall, I Love being able to work and have majority of the day to run errands. I think that they need to have competitive pay. I was making over $20 at my previous job and came back to Dattco making less.
no way to Advance there
driver (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 19, 2018
they want t have all the control this means no real advancement in pay no better benefits the insurance the offer is lousy like the pay they don't care about there drivers your just a number lousy management they favor some drivers over other so senIority means nothing
Cons
lousy pay, bad management
Safety first
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Trumbull, CTMay 31, 2018
This job may be split shift but the odd working hours let employees do what they want during the day and still work enough to make a decent amount. Must be a morning person to drive with kids in the morning but overall a very relaxed job where you know what each day entails.
Pros
work life balance, not stressful, you can take any day off
Cons
pay depends on town, a few bad kids
Poor Management, low pay
Bus Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTMay 10, 2018
Dattco was not a rewarding company to work for. They are unprofessional and poorly managed. Their pay was on the low to average scale for both School Bus and Motor Coach Drivers. Dattco recently lost a 50 million dollar school bus contract in their home city of New Britain. Perhaps they would be better off focusing all their effort and investments on Motor Coach Line Runs/Charters, Mega Bus and Fast Track bus service (like Peter Pan) rather than trying to hold together a failing school bus division.

The dispatchers at Dattco do not have a good grasp on their own day to day operations and how best to staff and task out their assignments. While Dattco may not be the worst bus company to work for in the state of CT. they do have a great deal of room for improvement! Dattco does not live up to it's potential, and it's a sad fact given their lengthy history in the New Britain community.
Pros
OK for first time bus drivers seeking to gain experience.
Cons
Poor management, terrible dispatchers, dismal pay.
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTApril 30, 2018
There is always some type of work to be processing , every day you face a new challenge that teaches you to be more then an avenge employees , you learn as you grown , I enjoy my work to its full potential , It made me understand more of how my roll is , My co workers and boss are an awesome team to work with,
Pros
already room to grow, alot of perks as well
Cons
no to my knowledge
Driving students.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTMarch 27, 2018
Love working with my students. Meeting new parents. Learning how children think. I'm like a parent figure to these kids. Children learn from the drivers manners.
Pros
On your own
Cons
No coverage when needed in emergency
its good for someone who just looking for extra money aor something to do on thier spare time.
Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Middletown, CTMarch 1, 2018
dattco has great trips for employees but, the living wages are terrible and nothing is full time granted to most employees. trips are like Mohegan sun , picnics, free breakfast and things like that Christmas parties and etc....
Pros
trips
Cons
wages
fun work place
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Avon, CTFebruary 27, 2018
I enjoyed my time in dattco inc. it was like being around family, we all helped each other we were all like a team, my favorite time and good memories are with dattco, I worked in Avon ct and the parents was amazing really appreciated our work, if i can go back the town is pleasant to work too
Pros
great town
Cons
cant think of anything
Unstable management
Transportation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Avon, CTFebruary 18, 2018
Most of my review is positive minus the management I've gone through nine managers in my almost 10 years of being with the company. When a driver has questions upper management does not get to them in a timely fashion.
TERRIBLE Management
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  CTFebruary 12, 2018
The manager is more interested in what she looks like. Vanity is far too important. Otherwise it is a fun job when you don't have to speak to management. The kids are generally nice. Coworkers are fun but are very cutthroat.
Pros
Fun routes
Cons
Management does not communicate well. Never certain of anything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DATTCO. Our community is ready to answer.