Davaco Inc. Employee Reviews

it's about who you know....
Product Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 13, 2019
I’ve been working for Davaco for a little more than a year. There’s no benefits package until after your first year, but even then, it’s still nothing compared to one you can get yourself. Also they don’t fire people… they just send them home and never call back.

To start off, there are basically 2 kinds of jobs in this company: Local and Traveler. Locals get the shaft. They get hired on with promises of grandeur, but Davaco REALLY hires them as backup workers so they don’t have to spend money on travel expenses. It’s smart, but they screw locals in the process by only working them as needed (which is pretty much never). Travelers get ALL the work. They get to ride in a nice rental from state to state doing everything a local does just everywhere else. The real problem: they don’t hire many. That and there’s a catch… who gets to be a Traveler is all politics.

I started off as a local for them, but I guess I made friends with the right people because after that, I got hired on as a traveler. Good pay and all travel expenses were covered. Not something you usually get with a merchandising company. That last project ended on a good note… but then they didn’t call me for work for nearly a month after. I tried calling them, but they kept telling me nothing was available.
2 projects after that (and plenty of time in-between >.<) I finally got called in to work on a big (local) project. “worth millions!” they said. That I was one of the special few who would become management material if I worked hard enough. This project was when I found out the harsh reality of Davaco. Turns
  more... out, sucking up is really all this company does, that and play favorites and endorse nepotism. The entire company is run by a family of close relatives. Go down 1 tier, and you’ll find a close circle of friends operating below the family. Go down 1 more tier, and you’ll find a seemingly nice group of squabblers all vying for entry into that circle. Everyone else is either a temp or a local trying to get and KEEP full-time work. Everyone knows this, yet we’re all still in a crazy rat race competition with each other.

The job itself was really cush and laid back. You go to a retail job, build stuff for 8hrs or more, get an hour off for lunch and then come home to a nice hotel and do whatever till work the next night (yes, I said NIGHT. Most merchandising jobs for Davaco are Night shift). I spent my free time playing video games with my friends while many others spent it drinking, partying or smoking pot. I’ve partaken in a drink or 2, but seriously, there are a ton of people in this job who smoke and drink religiously to the point that if you don’t do it regularly, you’re targeted. That’s not all either. Family oriented people better pretend they aren’t, because there’s a huge “family-on-the-road” mentality here. I was close to home, and spent MY OWN MONEY on trips to see them on the weekends (with permission from my leads and coworkers to use the rental), but time and time again, I’ve been targeted as the bad guy for getting homesick occasionally. If you’re monogamous, you’ll be made fun of at all times for never getting laid. That being said, a majority of people you work with will be single men and bringing girls back to the hotel whether you’re ok with it or not.

Gotta say, my biggest bone to pick is that all the workers who throw tantrums and ultimately fail the project get to keep their jobs and keep working because they claim credit for work they didn’t do or because they “know somebody”. There’s a kid fresh outta high school in there; laziest employee ever. Takes walks around the store to look busy. He’s only got his job because he hides in the shadow of his hardworking brother. The higher ups don’t know the difference; they just know their friends and blindly trust them without question.
Temps, I’m sorry, but you will be considered trash until you “make friends” with the right people and treat them as if they were God until you’re officially hired. No amount of hard skilled work will suffice. I’ve seen hard working temps fired literally because of the “lazy trash temp” label.

Sigh. Long story short, working hard isn’t nearly as important as making your “new family” laugh. Its still important, but if you can’t do both you might as well give up. I’ve made friends with only a few of my leads and coworkers, but when I lost work at the after Xmas, even their influence wasn’t enough to keep me working. I got countless texts from Traveling coworkers telling me they’re still working and that they’re vouching for me, but I’m still sitting here without work. Got a text from their boss saying “they shouldn’t have contacted me because they’ve got the people they need”……funny. I wish the best of luck to my fellow friends who were actually nice… but I don’t feel like begging on my knees for work anymore; this employer has work ALL OVER THE COUNTRY… they’re just only giving it to certain people.

Oh and btw, there’s no HR dept here; just an email that never gets answered and phone number that rings forever. So… if you’re boss tries to extort money from you for doing something you didn’t do… or the punch system won’t register your time card and you don’t get paid… good luck with that…
Pros
good starting pay, super easy work...
Cons
too much time in-between projects, nepotism, hard work isnt valued over who knows you.
In a nutshell
Slave (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 11, 2019
This is the review of truth. You are a dog in this company, there is No respect from the front desk to the top of the ladder. You will meet some of your fellow dogs who may brighten your otherwise life of walls and fast food.
There is one Man in charge of where you go. what you drive and when you do it and if you do not cooperate or protest you will not work. That is the sum of working with this company.
If you have a Family you will also be looked down upon because going home is not an option even though they tell you that you can.
You will get a rental car that you must drop off in another state and than be at the mercy of a coworker to get you back and forth although they tell you that you will always have your own transportation.
Another thing to consider is that you will not get fired from this company, you will just be sent home and never contacted again, No matter what they tell you or how you perform it is all about how you treat the one man in charge of you or to make it clear. ''Your orders''
Do yourself a favor and go with the many other companies who do this kind of work, There you will find many past employees of this company and you will find the job you seek.
You have been warned.
Pros
Work
Cons
Too many
Stressful somewhat unorganized
Senior Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 17, 2019
Can spend a lot of time away from home
May have to in hotel for days and not work
sometime you may drive for two or three day and work one day and then be back on the road
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Long periods away from home
Great place to work!
Superintendent/Field Manager (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 9, 2019
Much travel...see the country while creating new relationships. If you can handle the travel and living in hotels then its a great place to work! Plenty of room for advancement.
Pros
Nationwide travel with all costs covered
Cons
Away from home for a very long time
Was a job
Electrical Technician II (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 7, 2019
They have no communications with employees and several issues in the field

Bad trainniing for the new aprentinces in elelctrical.
Lack of communcations with employees
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad work conditions and no moral in the field
Dedicated Merchandiser Driven by Results and Teamwork
Team Leader New Store Set-up. (Former Employee) –  Traveled 49 states plus CanadaJanuary 2, 2019
Total Responsibility to complete a new store set-up, re-model, or relocation through teamwork with local store staff, company staff, transportation company, local authorities, and my team. There was a starting point or blank slate that progressed daily to completion. Store ready to do business.

Learned a lot. Especially that the "Buck" stops with you and your team. Make things happen through proper communication, training, and teamwork. Managed by taking the best of everyone and blending our skills to produce exceptional results.

Serious, but relaxed work culture, focused without being obsessed.

The hardest part came when you failed at communication.

Every two weeks you got immediate feedback. You could look at your work and see that the finished product met your expectations and that of your team.
Pros
Being your own boss and working with great team members.
Cons
Dependability of Temp. Labor
Use to be good place to work
Traveling Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 26, 2018
Good place to work other than they pay no benefits , use to have steady work not so much lately, I went to part-time because I wanted to travel less now I never hear from them
Cons
no vacation time or sick time for people working in field
Sadly dissapointed but not surprised
Construction Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 19, 2018
I was hired on as a Superintendent to manage a new program that they started. I gave this position quite literally everything I had in me. I would have to work unbelievable hours that seemed completely unrealistic. The problem was we didn't have enough qualified help in the field. We were constantly training new employees only to lose them to another program or have them quit entirely. I had a problem with management and once I presented my evidence to everyone that I hoped stood for something in making a decision based on facts I found myself only to become a target. I literally was threatened, given no help on my projects which forced me to work non stop around the clock to meet deadlines, and even forced to drive my vehicle after I had put in a 40 plus hour shift when all I wanted was to get an Uber home. There is an inner circle within the company and if your not part of it then you may as well start counting your days. I never threatened to quit to get what I wanted I only proved my worth through my work and projects completed. There are positives though. The compensation is probably one of the best out there. There are people within the company who are truly great at what it is they do and are able to separate the business from the personal. You get to travel all over the country and see places most have only read about. I actually really enjoy working for this company but it seems that when your right your still wrong and now I have to pay the consequences for doing what I thought was right.
Pros
Travel, benefits package
Cons
The inner circle, long hours, work/life balance
great company
Retail - Lead Foreman (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 11, 2018
decent leadership great travel different projects all the time. pay could be better. Could be better if you were not sharing a room with a coworker that you never met before
Pros
travel
Cons
away from home
long hours away from home for months
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 28, 2018
this company has no work life balance. they expect you to work 6-7 days a week, away from home, living in a hotel, away from your family for months, then they get mad when your family comes to visit you.
Great company for single people
Lead Foreman (Current Employee) –  VariousNovember 6, 2018
This job is only travel. I have been with the company for over a year now and I have only had one job that was close enough to my residence for me to not need a hotel. They have great pay and plenty of support if you ever need it, but you only get paid while you are out in the field working.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
All travel, no paid time off, family life suffers
good place
Field Foreman (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 21, 2018
Most likely work night shift on a fast pace environment to meet daily time frame assignments.Need to be able to think fact and manage time in order to be able to finish scope of work expected.
Pros
compesation
Cons
out of home for long periods
It was a safe work place
Stocker/Receiver/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2018
I liked working for Davaco I just haven't been called for any work lately. I am willing to travel now because its been a shortage on jobs. How am I suppose to be able to continue to work for Davaco.
Great team and great management
Construction Lead (Current Employee) –  Enterprise, ALOctober 10, 2018
We work as one and follow all safety rules, plus we get to travel. Work is great and you learn what you dont know and able to teach others who come in.
Terrible company
Corporate Human Resource Manager/Rrecruitin Managr (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 2, 2018
You avoid if you can. They treat you like, well you know. Old school management style, all about face time. If you like to suck up and play politics this is the place for you.
Horrible supervision...
Skilled Laborer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 27, 2018
Money was good supervisor was horrible... You never know where your going an 8f your far from home they would not give u any weekend or any time back home with family...
Work as a team
Lead Foreman (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 15, 2018
Go into it open-minded work as a team you are equal and not above nor below anyone. Mind your business do your work and don't complain and you will move up fast.
Pros
Pay travel
Cons
Away from family
Great Place to work
Field Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, TNSeptember 7, 2018
I’ve received 2 promotions in 14 months. High stress but couldn’t be happier. If you are easy to work with and show initiative you will be noticed. High paying from the start.
Pros
Travel, high pay
Cons
Told I could do my own thing - Then Let Go for doing my own thing.
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, TXSeptember 7, 2018
I was brought into this company because I had skills on my resume that made me a great fit. I had previous experience with Excel / I had previous experience with Oracle.
I was only with this contract for 8 days.

The first day I was shown "How to do things" for approximately 2 to 3 hours. I then was set free to figure out things on my own.

The second day shown a few more things. I went to the highest level on my team and explained that I thought a certain process could be done better. This was my 3rd or 4th day. I was told sure if you can do it better by all means do so.

The 2nd or 3rd day sent email out to vendor requesting quote on product. I got a returned phone call from vendor who explained could not proceed had not been paid. The Credit Cards for all the project managers maxed out. Then learned many vendors had not been paid preventing the primary function of my job could not be done product could not be ordered.

This company is not cash poor. They just choose to go cheap. I got a computer that only had one monitor. I asked for a second never got a second. They don't provide stand up desk. They ask the employee to pay back the company for purchase.
Pros
Cons
Read my review
Decent place to work
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 4, 2018
People were friendly but it had a bit of a call center feel.
Some of the management team members were not as gracious as others.
Overall was a good place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Davaco Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.