Dave's Supermarket Employee Reviews

a decent part time job with little upward mobility
Employee (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 8, 2018
Chances of getting 40 hours are zero, because that would mean the company having to pay out benefits. Employees that have full-time have been there at least a decade and were grandfathered in. They have a flexible schedule. A good place to come in, do your hours, and then call it a day. A relaxed work environment as long as you keep up with the pace. Not a company that seems interested in developing or promoting employees. Working in a department, you will work directly under a department head. They have standards of cleanliness and expect good work, but this should not be too much of a challenge for the average person. If you maintain a good attitude, you'll do well. Don't expect to become a manager any time soon, though.
Pros
simple work, work-life balance, access to union
Cons
low to average pay, no benefits, part-time only
Union company, most Dave's arent in great neighborhoods. Upper management is very nice.
Butcher (Current Employee) –  OhioAugust 21, 2018
Dave's is a union company run under union laws. It's a nice company with very good and caring owners. The biggest negative is it is VERY difficult to get full time ever. You will most likely need a second job to be able to afford to live. Part time union benefits are ok but you are unable to include any family members. I understand it's a way for Dave's to save money and I understand that, it just makes it difficult to stay at Dave's for a life time career. It's a good company but needing to work a second job really infringes on time spent with my family and keeps me constantly exhausted. Because of those facts I am always looking for a new job.
Pros
Most stores there is a good environment
Cons
Part time work unless you can become a manager
Good job to work, especially when while in school
Assistant Dairy Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland Heights, OHAugust 11, 2018
Dave's is a good job which offers benefits due to being in a union, as well as a good job culture, employees, and flexible hours. Throughout the years I've worked here while being enrolled in school, they were always dedicated to making sure my work schedule fit my school schedule. It's great as a school and/or a second job.

Also while working there I've met great people to work with along with managers. As long as you are a decent worker with common sense and courtesy, you'll be treated fairly by others.
Pros
Flexible hours, job culture, coworkers
Cons
short breaks, hours can be on the lower side
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cleveland Heights, OHJune 14, 2018
It is a safe place to work and take responsibility for anything. It is a running business. Even the managers work hard; Workers aren’t selfish with anything including the sales/merchandise. They can be flexible with the sales and to a customer’s benefit; Go out of their way to satisfy a customer so they’d feel it’s very welcoming which they are.
Pros
10% Employee Discount, Friendly environment
Cons
Short breaks, Low pay raises, Inconsistent schedules, Can be a bit too strict/demanding for such a simple business.
Friendly environment
Bagger/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 7, 2019
The workers at Dave's Supermarket are extremely friendly and resourceful. Collaborating on different tasks which helps the company to progress forward.
Pros
Discounts and benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Family owned company. Good place to work if you are looking for a part time job.
Bakery Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 26, 2018
I work at the Lee/Harvard store. Been there 5 years. I love my customers and they appreciate everything I do to put out a good quality product. Being in Local 19 you have great health benefits if you are full time. That's one of the problems here. Hard to get full time.
Great Job for High School Student
Deli Employee (Former Employee) –  Fairbury, ILAugust 21, 2018
Owners of store are GREAT! Long term employees are GREAT. Over all great staff. No benefits. Fun place to work with other class mates. Great learning experience for first job.
Pros
First job learning skills
Cons
Benefits and pay
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Merrill, WIOctober 14, 2018
Dave’s county market is a productive a busy place. A typical day includes its ups and downs of bosses and customers complaining. The management isn’t very good, anytime some need to scan alcohol is need it takes them a long period of time to walk over to scan. I learned a lot about custome service there, and the staff are always very polite. The hardest part of the job I’d say is when you have to run the computer system many things are very confusing. And I’d say the most enjoyable part of the job is when you do pickups and bagging your own groceries (for me, I had to bad a lot of my own groceries)
Pros
Free food sometimes I guess
Cons
Short breaks, minimum pay
management
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Euclid, OHAugust 16, 2018
working in the bakery was cool at times but it did get stressful. They only give you a certain amount of help to do things especially on holidays. the bakery staff was great. I just think for this to be a popular store, there should be more done for the employees there. they over work us at times and they act like the don't ever need help, but they do. I didn't like the time clock. it gave me points when I know I was clocking in when I was suppose to. they also had really strict rules. rules that seem to be kind of crazy considering that Davis is a grocery store. I also didn't like the fact that they waste a lot of food there, and the employees have to use the same bathroom as the shoppers which I feel was very nasty.
Pros
loved my crew in the bakery
Cons
management was kind of harsh towards their employees
Received payments via cash, vouchers and debits card
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ohio City, OHJuly 12, 2018
A typical day at work was sometimes a little more than i could handle. I feel customers are rude, and the staff/managers are very impatient. I feel we are not paid enough for what we do, especially being that Dave's supermarket is a very high end store. The Cashiers and employers provide great quality and service with minimum wage pay. Time management at Dave's was fair. The work Culture was fair as well, for they had Hispanic workers, Muslim workers, African American workers, and so forth. The hardest part of the job was when the cashier drawers would run out of change and we would have to stop in the middle of our transactions to go get more change. Also, if something went wrong, the managers would not be doing their job and being on the front end of the store to assist cashiers which would leave us cashiers and customer waiting. The most enjoyable part was when the store was not busy. Working early mornings are more preferred than working evenings.
Pros
Discount on our groceries
Cons
short breaks, no free or discounted lunches
Enjoyable to an extent!
Stocker/Inventory (Current Employee) –  Garfield Heights, OHNovember 5, 2018
Working nite crew is enjoyable some what but you’re sleep schedule is everywhere and seems to me working nite crew for 4 years now, they like to scapegoat nite crew and place blame on us majority of the time but they get overzealous and let their ego get in the way of the real problems.
Pros
Paid Breaks and part-time vacation days
Cons
Dave's is a great place to work the hours are flexible
Pricing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 24, 2018
Great job for first starting out but I just wish there was more
Advancement in the company and better hours for long-term
Employees. I've been with this company for many years I love what I do, I just wish I had more help at times.
Pros
My hours are very flexible I can choose what day I can or can not work
Cons
Cutting back employee hours no advancement in the company
Productive workplace with skilled workers
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Heights, OHMay 16, 2018
typical day at Dave's Supermarket consists of stocking the department and handling customer service for customers. I learned some valuable lessons on how to multitask and handle different responsibilities throughout the work day. the management was good in my opinion, though at times I felt they could have done more as leaders of the store. the workplace culture was great. i definitely enjoyed going to work most days. hardest part of the job would be having to work to fill most of the department, and then transition to putting away our delivery trucks. most enjoyable part of the job was working aside my friends, it made the days much more enjoyable.
Pros
working with friends, gaining knowledge on the company
Cons
less work from coworkers, low pay
No hours, no pay
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cleveland,OhioNovember 10, 2018
This company is completely against treating their employees welll. The in store staff is great but the higher up management don’t want us to be paid fairly.
Pros
Vacations
Cons
Low pay, bad hours
Working at Dave’s
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 19, 2018
Working for Dave’s supermarket was alright during the first few months but then hours began being cut and shortened, I went out for maternity leave and returned getting less evening hours and I could not work mornings because I had school.
Pros
8 hour shifts = 30 min lunches
Cons
If you cannot work how they want what hours they want you to work then your days will be cut
Very boring, stressful
Counter Clerk/Cook (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 14, 2018
It was only a good job if you were still a child in high school. It had it's days where it would get busy, other than that it was quite boring. I would never want to ever work there again.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Not enough money to survive.
Not what I was really looking for.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 20, 2018
The job was okay to a certain extent. The management wasn’t all that great but it was bareable. The pay was terrible. Knowing my work ethic, I know that I deserve more than what was offered.
Relaxed
Stocker (Current Employee) –  East Cleveland, OHNovember 7, 2018
Nice place to work no worries at all it has good pay and hours and respectable managers.the store has a wide veriety of things to buy everyday.very nice
Pros
Good pay, slow, relaxed
Cons
Low sercurity
Very out of order
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 20, 2018
There is no room for growth at Dave's supermarket. The schedule is very flexible but if you don't have seniority, then it will be hard to get hours and days unless someone calls off.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Pay sucks
Very productive working evironment
Customer Service Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland Hts, OHNovember 3, 2018
Its actually an great company to work for i been there 11 years but im not getting paid enough to provide for my family as being a single mother. This company have really had my back and i have gained multiple skills and have endured great cutomer service.