Davey Tree Employee Reviews

wonderful work exprince
Corporate Benefit Administrator / Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHOctober 12, 2018
opportunity learn about HRIS system, Microsoft applications, business and be a part of successful organization who cared for employees and local community.
Pros
Fortune 500 company
Cons
I had to move
Corporate good, branch level not so much
Administrative/CEC Team lead (Former Employee) –  Needham, MAOctober 8, 2018
Corporate Davey is great, local branch management leaves a lot to be desired. Once Davey took over local branch there was an enormous amount of fall out. Those left at the management level were inexperienced and self focused.
Best place to work, hands down!
Advanced Arborist in Training (Current Employee) –  Hopedale, OHOctober 2, 2018
I have worked in all aspects of the tree service industry, with all types of so-called "professionals" and was rarely impressed by companies who called themselves professional or experts. I was seriously considering giving up something I love so much.
However, since I got hired in at Davey Tree, I finally found a place I feel comfortable and safe. I support the company and plan to continue my career here till retirement. Davey has given me a chance to step up and use my knowledge and experience to help the company as a whole. We work 10 hour days 6 days a week so we find ways to make the experience less streesful and drama free for the most part. For that I owe a huge thanks to all my coworkers as well as our superiors, helping make everyday something to look forward to. My colleagues are talented, hard working and genuinely upbeat. We work as a tight knit group and we look out for each other as family. I am my brothers keeper! Thank you for your time.
Pros
Working with people who share the same goals.
Cons
Didnt start employment with this company years earlier.
Terrible management
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COSeptember 30, 2018
The management at my office was terrible. Over worked, under paid. Pushed to the limit in terms of what was safe. All for the commission check and to reach the “goal” Upper management gets bonuses based of the performance and it’s the guys out in the field doing the work. You can’t bid a job from google earth and expect your employees to do their best. You also can’t be a manager without actually having the experience yourself.
Davey Tree service summary
Tree Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MI 48603September 29, 2018
Davey Tree Service is a great stepping stone job, with lots of opportunities with room for improvement. it is a hard labor job, climbing in all weather conditions.
Pros
Davey's Will help you get your CDL, you receive pay rasises as you improve
Cons
working long hours in all weather conditions
Great Company
Foreman (Current Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 26, 2018
Great Company and awesome benefits package. Co-workers are also wonderful and add to a great working environment. This company has a very strong employee-centric culture.
Dog eat Dog
Vegetation Management/Site Foreman (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 30, 2018
General Foreman's/Yard Managers shall use more time on learning how to deal with subordinates on a more Professional level and stop trying to play god. Could use a lot more understanding of certain situations in current world settings. The Foreman's should have more control over job sites.
Pros
Great Pay and decent benefits
Cons
could get fired for working
Supervisor
Senior Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHAugust 27, 2018
A typical day at work would be preparing and review time cards for over 2500 field employees and preparing invoices. Enjoyment times are when all employees are paid and receivables are coming in.
Pros
flexible hours, saving account, employee engagement, vested
Cons
I really have no cons about Davey Tree
Decent job
Class 1 Climber (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHAugust 9, 2018
Crew wasn't the best. Management could use improvement. Company itself was very good. Paid holidays and vacation days. Benefits were decent. Overall, not a horrible place.
Benefits
Excellent Company Culture, 100% Employee Owned
Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaAugust 2, 2018
Great company culture, but 50 - 60 hours a week is necessary most weeks of the year, so you will have to be ready to put in your time. Senior leadership has lost touch with the employee and the Districts.
Does not provide advancement opportunities
Client Experience Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 30, 2018
I enjoyed the work crews and customers I dealt with on a daily basis. The biggest drawback of the job was lack of advancement opportunities. Frequently there are no lunch breaks.
Pros
Pay was fair to start. Work crews are great to work with.
Cons
Pay was stagnant, no advancement for office workers, no scheduled breaks, lack of communication by management.
Great place to work except for getting Laid off without warning
Climber/Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJuly 30, 2018
The manager was disorganized. Didn't tell me we didn't have enough work until the day he let me go before Labor Day weekend (irony) I'm trying to get out of this industry partially because management doesn't respect their workers enough to tell them AT ALL ahead of time that their only source of income is in jeopardy. This is unacceptable in a field that tends to do this every year at smaller shops time and time again. We're required to let employers know 2 weeks ahead at least that we're leaving. Lets see it go both ways
Pros
fun place to work, good equipment, regular breaks
Cons
Management, those awful wire rakes
Great people, great benefits, wonderful place to excel in a career
Asst. Sr. Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TN, ( JEA )July 26, 2018
This is an AWESOME company to work for with everything a person needs to advance, and make this not just a J O B, but a lifetime career. This company has an incredible infrastructure that pyramids down to each individual in the field. Could not ask for a better company to work for!
Pros
Advancement, bonuses, travel, educational classes, and much more
Great
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJuly 25, 2018
Good place to work.
Worked there fresh out of college gave me the work experience and knowledge to transfer to a pest specialist position else where...
Worst Company Ever
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 10, 2018
If you have no life and you live to work, then this is the company for you. This company has the absolute worst field management as these individuals are more concerned about making themselves look better in front of the client while scapegoating the actual face that the client sees. Field management will lie directly to the clients face by telling them what they want to hear and NOT what they need to hear. The health care benefits are the worst in the market, you’ll be better of purchasing your own health care benefits or having no benefits than having the company provided benefits. The pay is well below market average. Consistently micromanaged and made to feel inferior. If you’ve got zero character or integrity then this is the company for you. Stay as far away from this company as possible.
Pros
Got a new truck
Cons
Too many to list, see review
Very fast paced.
Plant Healthcare Technician (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OH 43607June 27, 2018
My manager wanted me to make the company $200 Dollars per hour. Which I found out to be nearly impossible because each job was around 50 dollars. Each job also took more than 20 minutes.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Work pace
Enjoyed the job
Line clearance Foreman (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 2, 2018
Very good company to work for. Highly motivated on employee training. Lots of good people to work along side of. Recommend employment to any body wanting to learn the job skills correctly.
Pros
Good people / good training
Cons
Nepitism hinders the promotion process to managment
Employees were pretty decent; manager was power hungry.
Groundsman (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAJune 1, 2018
Management was terrible. Manager was power hungry and had no idea what he was doing. All he did was try to intimidate people. Tried to make it seem like he was better than you
Plant Health Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 29, 2018
Great experience working with Davey. Everyone is friendly and the management and the arborists are knowledgeable and will help with all you need when you have questions. Its a hands on job but well worth the skills that you will gain.
Pros
Benefits, Healthcare, place to learn and grow
Not at all what told the job would be.
Pole auditor (Former Employee) –  New York StateMay 15, 2018
Terrible job. Sit in a truck for ten hours a day alone. Expected to pick up and move after being told work would be in the area for a good amount of time to come. Benefits offered but they tell you to wait 3 months and then at the 3 months point told its too late and have to wait for the end of the year. Then when try to put in two weeks they tell you to forget about it and dont come in.
Pros
Overtime offered
Cons
Too many to list