Davey Tree Employee Reviews

Very fast pace and physically demanding.
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCMarch 19, 2019
Great company to work for! Very strenuous work physically and mentally. Working in extreme temperatures is part of the job. I would recommend Davey tree as a company but not this office.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, great coworkers
Cons
Long hours, faulty equipment, poor management
It's a sink or swim culture
Client Experience Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILMarch 18, 2019
My experience as a "Client Experience Coordinator" (which is their term for customer service agent), was pretty awful. You are basically told that you get a 30 min lunch, no break options. If you need a day off, you have to make sure another office can cover your calls before you can take the day off and if you are sick, you are required to reach out to others offices to take the calls.

The training is pretty awful. You have a 4 week training period and 2 of those weeks are spent having binders READ to you as you watch someone on a computer. Actually, you will have binders read to you the entire time of the training but you will eventually be on a computer. You are then expected to be able to jump into the systems and use them. It's quite possibly the worst training I have been through. Being a former trainer in databases, employees should be given computers on day one not day 8. When I did finally make an actual call, which is the majority of the job but not as originally advertised, I asked for feedback...the trainer gave me almost no advice on what I could have changed. My advice for all new hires...keep looking while you work here.

FYI: As a new hire, in your first year, you will receive 5 vacation days off. That's it. No sick time in year one. 5 days for 365 days. I don't think I have ever worked for a company that cared less about its employees before.
Pros
The pro is I have a new job.
Cons
Poor Vacation/Sick, 6 company holidays not including the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve, insurance premiums high, short-term disability available if employee pays for it, pay scale is low, 30 min lunches with no breaks for office employees
Chill place to work but they only have their "favorites"
Tree climber (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 15, 2019
I am currently working here (8 months) and while ive been here its been nothing but broken promises and lots of lies....wouldnt recommend it to anyone. If you dont speak spanish you wont fit in ,so just stay away if you are not mexican ,unless you get to know some of the younger guys that speak both languages then its cool... They have lots of favorites here and alot of people who are related. If they dont like you it doesnt matter if you work hard or not they wont appreciate anything you do at all. You can work the hardest and do alot, if you are not liked or in their clique they will treat you like garbage... I liked it until i figured out how corrupt it is , I have my CDL and i still havent gotten a raise above a climber b its ridiculous... go try somewhere else its no good here.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Not enough REAL bosses
Tree trimmer
Climber/Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Mercer, PAMarch 12, 2019
I really enjoyed working there, got to meet and work with alot of experienced and talented individuals.The base pay was excellent and I learned quite a bit from the job.
Pros
Safety meetings every morning, Coffee and Donuts at times.
Cons
Short lunches, some jobs we wete rushed to complete
Productive asmotphere
Irrigation Technician (Current Employee) –  North Fort Myers, FLMarch 11, 2019
Good company in some aspects, but it’s very hard to make more money. It’s 100 percent employee owned. Great benefits as far as vacation comes. The boss is good to his employees.
Pros
I get to work at my own pace.
Cons
It’s hard to get raises.
Plenty of money and opportunity but no life.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHMarch 10, 2019
This is a great place to work for a single individual with no family. You're provided a company truck, stipend for phone and even Per Diem in some instances. Housing is also typically provided on most projects. Combined with the fact that you can work as much overtime as you want, you can make good money and be able to save most of your paycheck because you don't have to pay rent, a car loan or insurance. The job also includes benefits like full medical, dental, eye, 401k, and investing.
On the downside, employees are expected to work at least 45 hours and 50+ hours is usually preferred. This means being asked or expected to work Saturdays on most weeks. In addition, you are only paid for your time in the field, even if it takes an hour to get to the work site from your hotel. So, most employees are out for 11-12 hours to make a 10 hour day. This leads to having little time to do anything other than work, eat and sleep each day. Furthermore, if the job is located more than 6-8 hours from home/family, don't expect to be home every weekend. Hence, the poor rating on Job Work/Life Balance.
Finally, management is poor at best. Goals are based on each week, which is difficult in an outdoor job affected by weather/terrain, and employees are expected to make up for lost time/revenue due to weather delays. Management's focus is all about the revenue and little is given to ensuring employees are satisfied. Sure, they give out raises and promotions to those who consistently go above and beyond, but don't be expected to be rewarded with more free time, just more work, for not much more
  more... than everyone else is making. Anyways, this job is very similar to the military. You will be given Room and Board and nearly everything you need, but expect your life to revolve around the job.  less
Pros
Overtime, paid housing, company truck
Cons
No life outside of work. Constant pressure to produce more.
Gis tech
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 10, 2019
Stay away from this company, worked here for 2 and a half years. Management lies through their teeth to get you to increase production. Started in my hometown in PA was told job would stay in PA and I ended up in Western New York and then Connecticut. All they care about is your production, your elliglbe for a raise every year but if you ask about it suddenly they trash your recent work and knock you down. They also move the goal posts on you to get a raise, was told I needed a QC award which is like an employee of the month once I got that in January 2017 I was told I needed 3. Management is absolute joke they do 0 production but they claim all the benefits and get a nice bonus for YOUR work. Also they will cut benefits which are the ONLY good thing about working here. My friend in Buffalo was kicked out of his hotel provided by Davey when the job project he was on started to implode, he was told to find his own apartment or they wouldn’t keep him. Also when a new project starts they will fire the employees who are making the most when they can hire less experienced people off the street. This place is just a revolving door company you won’t have any future here, nobody I started with works here anymore and it hasn’t been 3 years.
Pros
Benefits when they don’t take them away
great place
Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Macedonia, OHMarch 3, 2019
great place to work to improve skill sets learn advance work and to expand ones skill set with in the landscaping indsustry. Be able to work hard and learn a lot if wanting to advance in the company.
Davey is a good place to get skills
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Flat Rock, MIMarch 3, 2019
Davey has some of the best employees around that are very knowledgable and helpful . If you don't know they will teach you it's just an overall family when you join the team
great company with great benefits
Climber (Current Employee) –  Odenton, MDFebruary 28, 2019
I loved the management staff literally go above and beyond to make your job much easier. I hate to have had to leave them just wasnt for me anymore.
I have bad back problems and the lifting was really getting to me. Go ahead and work for them youll really enjoy it.
Its ok
Laborer/Operator (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHFebruary 28, 2019
If you're looking for a place to start out this isn't terrible it's not a career, the pay does not match the amount of work you have to do, although you do have a lot of leeway that really doesn't make up it. I personally like the work itself but again the pay does not match the level of work you have to do.
Pros
Very laid back"AT TIMES"
Cons
Pay does not match level of work required.
Love of being outside in the eleiments
Forman/1st class trimmer (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVFebruary 27, 2019
To work around good employees and have a safe work week months an years. I like the challenges of the job but i also know the dangers of the job also. To teach others the the safe way of the job an also recognize the dangers is a very big part of the job
Pros
P.t.o time
Cons
Long hours an storm work
New office every day
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Placerville, CAFebruary 26, 2019
Over all a great job. Great start for a younger person at a good pay rate. You can learn alot if your willing. This is not a job for everyone. It's a job that keeps you on your toes or and or your co worker may get hurt or worse.
Benefits make the company
Lead Irrigation Tech & Snow Removal Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COFebruary 22, 2019
Best benefits of any employer I've ever worked for. In the situation that I was in the pay was good,but overall they could pay the average employee more.
Pros
Excellent manger, good schedule.
Cons
Bad government supervisor
Safety
Forman/tree climer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 9, 2019
Safety is the key of a better life, for themselves and family. (Star)STOP/THINK/ACT/REACT,this what I do and Davey does for every day to return to everyone loves ones in this business because that’s the first thing They want for us stay safe and my team to do because I want them to return home without a scratch
Pros
Free lunch on Saturday
Cons
N/a
Slow and not enough pay everyone is always stressed including me rarely any off days
Groundsman/Climber (Current Employee) –  Cullman, ALFebruary 4, 2019
I worked this job for about 8 months and the first month was alright. This company isn’t a good first job for anyone if you wanna have days off and have time to spend with your family, they will not take that into consideration. It’s all about production no one cares about your life outside of work or what’s going on outside of work.
Pros
Cons
No time off
Productive workplace
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 29, 2019
The managers were very understanding and polite. They were cooperative with each of the team members and very on top of everything. No micro managing.
Productive and Positive Workplace
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 6, 2019
As large as they, they are very focused on family and the individual. Corporate is very down to earth. The meetings are valid and almost always open to questions and comments.
If it sounds like hard work it usually is.
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJanuary 2, 2019
Davey tree has been a good company to me. I have traveled for storms and paid handsomely. This line of work is not easy. It is dangerous. Luckily Davey has the highest safety standards and safeguards in place. Easily the most exciting job I've ever had.
Pros
Overtime is often offered.
Cons
It can be an abrassive work environment.
Was made for that type of work
TREE TRIMMER (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTJanuary 1, 2019
Childhood dream! I got to climb trees and better yet they gave me a chainsaw. Very high risk job and competive. Knowledge learned from job Is very useful!
Pros
Adrenaline job
Cons
Resources. Limited