Davey Tree Employee Reviews

Employees were pretty decent; manager was power hungry.
Groundsman (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAJune 1, 2018
Management was terrible. Manager was power hungry and had no idea what he was doing. All he did was try to intimidate people. Tried to make it seem like he was better than you
Plant Health Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 29, 2018
Great experience working with Davey. Everyone is friendly and the management and the arborists are knowledgeable and will help with all you need when you have questions. Its a hands on job but well worth the skills that you will gain.
Pros
Benefits, Healthcare, place to learn and grow
Not at all what told the job would be.
Pole auditor (Former Employee) –  New York StateMay 15, 2018
Terrible job. Sit in a truck for ten hours a day alone. Expected to pick up and move after being told work would be in the area for a good amount of time to come. Benefits offered but they tell you to wait 3 months and then at the 3 months point told its too late and have to wait for the end of the year. Then when try to put in two weeks they tell you to forget about it and dont come in.
Pros
Overtime offered
Cons
Too many to list
Awesome Company
Tree Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 13, 2018
Learned to be a Tree Trimmer with this company. I started as a groundman and later became a climber. It would have been nice to have learned how to use the bucket trucks.
Pros
Learned to Climb Trees
Cons
Never Learned to Use The Bucket Truck
good experience, good group of employees.
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Milford, OHMay 8, 2018
it was a great place to work. well trained employees who were easy to get along with. training with the foreman was always a good time. I learned a lot from the more experienced foreman
Your family will be at davey, not at home.
Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioMay 3, 2018
It was fun at times and exciting. In the end, it was apparent that work-life balance at Davey doesn't support long-term success. What I learned to be a successful manager at Davey is to create a workforce and place that is self-sustaining and resilient. The end goal as a manager should be your ability to be replaced or removed, and the group continues to be productive, safe and proactive. I am a firm believer in teaching and promoting problem-solving skills. Its better to troubleshot then make a call for help. Davey gave me these skills to be a successful manager; I would enjoy the opportunity to use these skills to make a better impact on environmental equality.
Pros
Exciting, outdoors, challenging, problem solving skills
Cons
work-life balance, governmental contract pressure
Great Place to Work
Arborist Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 2, 2018
Great place to work if you enjoy the outdoors and can spend long periods of time on your feet. Plenty of opportunities to grow and get educated. Good work life balance.
Pros
Work alone, able to make decisions for yourself
Cons
Alot of time in a vehicle.
Great people oriented company
Executive Administrator (Current Employee) –  Avondale Estates, GAApril 27, 2018
Davey is one of the largest employee owned companies in the world. The benefits and opportunities are amazing! The acquisition team that we worked with during our transition were super professional, kind and caring people. Davey is a large corporation which comes with its mandatory regulations, but overall everyone is very helpful and pleasant.
Benefits
You feel like a number every day
N/a (Current Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAApril 24, 2018
The management gets upset when you dont meet your numbers for the day. This is even after the very same person screwed up the price for the job. The secretary of the office treats you like your a monkey when your education level is 2 or 3 times as much as them. Most weeks you work around 50 hours and on Saturday. They have a very high turnover rate for a reason. The ones who end up staying do not speak great English and management takes advantage of that.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
To meet numbers for the day you can’t take a lunch.
Great Company
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHApril 24, 2018
I would recommend working for Davey Tree Expert Company. A lot of room for advancement if you have the drive to be successful. Great company to work for.
I have nothing to say
Office Clerk/Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAApril 22, 2018
Nothing to report. It was a long time ago. I was only there for a short period of time before I was laid off. The workplace was ok. Management wasn't very good, nothing to write about the job
Pros
non
Cons
non
Not a rewarding place to work
Plant Health Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 5, 2018
They tell you that you won't work on the weekends too often. That is a lie. I believe that they rip off the customers and I did not like being a part of a company that did not price their services fairly.
Pros
You go into work early so I was always off around 3pm
Cons
Not much personal time and work on most Saturdays
Professional and detail oriented
Shop Supervisor & Foreman (Former Employee) –  New Castle County, DEApril 4, 2018
There are ways to grow in this company.

A great place to invest as an employee!

Liked being outside and working as part of a team.

Davey is always Safety oriented.
Pros
Always Safety oriented!
Cons
Can be long hours at times
great
1st class climber (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMarch 23, 2018
Davey is a fair and great company to work for. the benefits was great and every 120 hours we got a day of vacation. I would love to go back to work for them.
Most workers ok
Climber (Former Employee) –  San ramonMarch 8, 2018
Most of the workers I got along with just fine. The new manager had its favorite people and you could become one as long as you kiss rear. I refuse to do that.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Manager favoritism’s
Intense Job
Class A Surgery Foreman (Former Employee) –  Mount Clemens, MIMarch 6, 2018
Working at Davey is great because working hard labor tends to bring people together. Especially when your job is as dangerous as a tree climber. Great starter job for someone out of high school.
Pros
Great start pay
Cons
Jobs dangerous
Productive work area
Lawn Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 27, 2018
This job is by far the most complex job ive had, many competition here, but really blends in with the lawn care management groups, really good paying and oh.. lots of hours
great place to get your career started
Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 21, 2018
Davey was my first opportunity to get my foot-in-the-door and get started working in the urban forestry sector. Everyone was professional and fun to work with.
Money, money, money
Foreman (Current Employee) –  OhioFebruary 17, 2018
That's all they care about. As the upper management will tell you they don't care about the money, it's the opportunity they say. But some employees look at the company like it is the almighty God because Davey is all they know. Anyway you be the judge
Always in different areas
Climber/Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHFebruary 9, 2018
The position at davey tree never got boring there was always work to be done. We would be in a certain location for a short amount of time and move to the next location. There is plenty to learn in this career choice.
Pros
Having a 3day weekend every weekend
Cons
40 hr days at max, working in the ugliest of weather.