David Lerner Associates Employee Reviews

Challenging enviornment
Financial Councilor (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYFebruary 5, 2018
Fun place to work.
People that work there are great.
David needs to move into modern times and update systems and ways of doing business.Seminars are a great way to meet new clients but there needs to be more effective modern marketing ideas.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Hard work ok if you dont mind
David Lerner is a good man...
Senior Vice President - Investments (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2017
The Firm is relatively new (est in the 70's) and focuses on tax-advantaged monthly income.
Apple REITs.
Energy XI (11) MLPs.
Spirit of America proprietary mutual funds (5% load).
Pros
Salaried plus commission to build business.
Cons
60k salary. Push to sell Proprietary products and Energy Sector funds.
David Lerner
Vice President of Investments (Former Employee) –  Teaneck, NJOctober 21, 2017
David Lerner Associates is a good company. However my Sales skills were not as strong as was expected by the company and the position. This position had a flat salary and basically I worked by commission. This became very difficult to continue forward. I did enjoy meeting the people I worked with and the managers. I did have the opportunity to learn about Sales and meet many clients during my time with David Lerner. I
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Many hours & hard to increase sales
Not bad
Vice President, Investments (Current Employee) –  Westport, CTSeptember 20, 2017
It's not a bad place to work if you're starting in finance. They sponsor you for your licensing and the corporate culture lets you go as far as you want.
na
Investment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Teaneck, NJSeptember 15, 2017
no work life balance even though they say there is during onboarding. no technology upgrades, still old fashioned cold calling minimum of 50hours week
Great management
Vice President of Investments (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLSeptember 12, 2017
Opportunity and training are there. Its up to the individual to make it happen. If you have a network of contacts and work hard you can make this a great career. There are some fantastic people in this company.
Review
Vice President of Investments (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 2, 2017
It is what you make it, like everything else. Focused heavily on proprietary funds and other limited partnerships. Antiquated systems and business model. Good to start careers I suppose.
Management is living in the past.
Investment Consultant (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJune 8, 2017
It's like working with dinosaurs. The company is so far behind the curve that I don't think it will ever catch up. They also have serious compliance issues.
Must conform to the status quo
Investment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hartsdale, NYMay 30, 2017
This company gave me my start in the workforce to which I am forever grateful. I learned a lot from my time there. They have great benefits including pay for studying and passing your preliminary exams.
Pros
learn finance/pay for series 7, 63 and healt and life insurances
Cons
bad reputation/brand is destroyed
very sales oriented
Investment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYMay 22, 2017
typical environment - huge focus on sales and less on client need. Good learning opportunity for what I wanted and did not want in my career - very limited product offering
Behind the times
VP OF INVESTMENTS (Current Employee) –  Syosset, NYMay 13, 2017
Company is set in their ways and fearful of progressive thought, including technology.

Management states that it is for compliance reasons, but it is fear of it.
Moved on to better opportunity
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYApril 26, 2017
Hardest part of job was finishing the day on time. At the time smoking was allowed in the office at your desk. I did not know at the time how allergic I was to cigarette smoke. I actually thought I was allergic to the computer ink.
I learned a lot about the bond industry.
Pros
My first job back from maternity and I learned alot
Cons
If you were good at your job they did not want to advance you.
Wonderful cmpany to work for
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Syosset, NYMarch 17, 2017
Wonderful company with a pleasant atmosphere and helpful, productive co-workers. Supervisor and upper management of department and all departments are pleasant and fair. Nice bonuses and camaraderie.
Pros
pleasant staff
boutique investment firm
INVESTMENT COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYJanuary 26, 2016
Spent much time learning a very limited number of investments. Mostly fixed income and yield producing. Very targeted niche as far as typical clientel.
Pros
reputable company and name
Cons
limited resources and investment selection.
Good company to work for
V.P. Investment Counselor (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJanuary 3, 2016
The only problem with the company is that the reputation makes it difficult to open new accounts. The co-workers are great! There is no typical day. Every day is different. Management does not have an interest in helping first years in succeeding because of the high turnover. The company needs to give new hires a salary for at least 2 years. The most difficult part of the job is opening new accounts and bringing in new business. The Company has unique products and I have learned a lot about the current market.
Pros
Salary first year
Cons
No salary after first year
They Only Want You For Your Friends and Family Business
Investment Counselor (Former Employee) –  New YorkJuly 21, 2015
You're much better off at a big brand B/D like Fidelity, Merrill Lynch, Scwab, Edward Jones, etc... most of these pay you a base salary and have a 3+ year training regime. You also have the benefit, particularly in the case of Merrill Lynch/Bank of America, of walk-in clients or existing clients looking to start or change their investment strategy. I'm not saying new clients will be throwing themselves at your feet, but I would imagine it has to be much better than this. When they're one farming you for your friends and family, they hand the accounts to their favorites and fire you for "lack of production."
Pros
Free licenses you can then take with you elsewhere, great training on what NOT to do.
Cons
Everything else
Purchasing & Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  NYJune 24, 2015
It is a nice place to work. Very nice people, great job security. It feels like a family, but the workplace is very professional. Many branches as well.
Pros
Very enjoyable place to work
Cons
Benefits are alright
Productive workplace and wonderful co-workers
Investment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJune 21, 2015
A typical day at work consists of making phone calls to set up appointments, meeting clients at their homes or in our office, networking events, trade show events, and working on marketing pieces to help develop the business.
Excellent co-workers even in a highly competitive environment, wonderful sales assistants and supportive management.
The hardest part of the job is finding the time to get everything accomplished, but the best part of the job is knowing that I am providing an invaluable service to individuals who need my expertise in building and preserving their financial assets.
Pros
Flexibilty of being an outside sales representative.
Cons
Very long days and working most weekends
Family atmosphere where people care about each other.
Investment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYMarch 5, 2015
They give a good 1 year salary, but need to develop a mentoring program for new ICs to increase chances for success.

Co-workers are friendly and always willing to help you!
Pros
Fun to work at, and they give food and perks to employees.
Cons
Miss Apple REITs program!.
Was a nice place to work. People were very friendly.
Administrative/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLFebruary 10, 2015
- Received calls on the branch line and routed to appropriate area.
-Assist all Investment Councilors with various forms and mailings to clients.
-Called and emailed job applicants from Career Builder, Monster, Simply Hired & Career Showcase and invited to our Hiring Seminar
held every 6 weeks.
-Set up interviews with Senior Management. Set up all new hire paperwork.
-Set us up as a Vendor for Street Fairs, Craft Shows, Art Shows,HOA
Fairs, Seminars, anywhere that we can meet people and explain what we do and how we could help with their finances.
-Set up in system all new prospects and invite to dinner seminars.
Pros
Flexible hours if needed.
Cons
Not knowing how long the job would last(contract)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Lerner Associates. Our community is ready to answer.