DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews

decent place to start off
tea education/training, shift supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lynnwood, WADecember 10, 2018
At first this is a fun great place to work for then it took a turn for the worst. This seems to be the trend with almost every employee I work with. A lot of work the management has you do is outside the job description and management/corporate is cut throat about sales numbers but lacks the ability or drive to send us necessary products to sell. The quality of the products also has gone down hill.
Pros
not much
Cons
a lot
Fun job as a sales associate, but...
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CANovember 8, 2018
While this job offers wonderful products, fabulous discounts to employees, and promotions if you work hard enough, the pay is unreasonably low for the amount of work required. Upper management must constantly analyze sales performance for workers and depending on the store, those result determine if you work once a week or seven days a week.
Pros
employee discount, great products
Cons
low pay, no schedue flexibilty, incompetent upper managment
Expectations are too high/Not paying enough
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2018
This company would be a great company IF they paid enough. The starting pay for Tea Guide all the way to Store Manager is simply not enough. I would have liked to stay but the expectation for Store Manager and ASM is 60/40 and they do not pay anywhere near that.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Bad Pay
low-key retail experience
Key Holder - Sales and Retail (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJuly 24, 2018
Customers loved coming in to the store, and we saw a lot of regulars. Staff had fairly high turnover but overall everyone got along and enjoyed working there.
Amazing
Seasonal Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 3, 2018
Working here was absolutely one of my favorite job experiences, so much so that I've been trying to work there again. my only problem is management. it switches so much.
Pros
Discocunts, Relaxing environment, Customer Interactions, Decent Breaks
Cons
The application Process
Great workplace - if you don't advance
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 1, 2018
The company was great to work for. My manager and upper management were inconsistent and pushed far too hard for sales in the store I worked at. No rewards, just pressure to sell and drive nonexistent traffic to the store.
Pros
Great products, awesome customers
Cons
management, hours, and sales pressure
Good Ideas, Bad Execution
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  USAApril 27, 2018
This company looks great on paper but it struggles to keep its people because of unrealistic hours expectations. Upper management is either too relaxed or micro-manages, there is hardly any in-between. Head office departments do not communicate with each other resulting in near chaos in the stores. Store managers are over worked and under paid and get little support from their district managers. This issue is not isolated to one district, it is company wide.
Pros
50% discount on all products
Cons
No work-life balance.
Great ideals but did not value me as a coworker
Sales Associate, Tea guide (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 7, 2018
I learned about the culture of tea and the beliefs of the company but did not give enough room to grow as a sales associate and did not give me enough hours. I worked two days a week for about five hours a day. I felt like they were very judgemental but did not communicate well with me on issues that needed to be improved. They let me go over the summer when there was new management even though I was told I was still going to be able to work there when I got back.
A relaxing workplace where employees can kick back and still get work done
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 27, 2018
A typical day at David'sTea consisted of brewing the teas of the day, making sure all shelves are fully stocked, and that every customer that comes in is satisfied.
Pros
Fair hourly wages
Cons
previous management
Fun workplace
TEA GUIDE (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYMarch 7, 2018
Great company culture and product, however district managers are a revolving door. The new CEO is working to provide fair wages, however in order to get paid benefits must be full time for more than a year.
Pros
Free tea, 50% off products
Cons
DM is fond of micromanaging
One of the best jobs I ever had
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Brickell, FloridaMarch 3, 2018
I have learned so much working at David's Tea in my time since joining. It's a collaborative environment that fosters growth. My boss is pretty fantastic. She has been helping me hone my skills and is a mentor. The field team and our corporate partners are very responsive which doesn't happen everywhere. Working with tea has become a passion and I look forward to helping the customers and having a structure that helps me become a better leader.
Pros
Free Tea, great discounts, comprehensive benefits.
Disorganized, temperamental, and two faced environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 1, 2018
The overall product is great. Great tea and great merchandise. The overall goal of the company is to promote positivity to the customers and to the employees, unfortunately in their goal to promote positivity they take everything extremely seriously.
Sales goals are unrealistic, and promotes toxicity within the store. Sales Managers have so much to do they are unable to focus on employees. Upper management does not actively check in with others within the store
Pros
Free tea
Cons
Stressful sales environment, unreachable goals, work that is often panicked, lack of follow through with management.
Terrible
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 7, 2018
I worked at brickell city as a asm the worst job and store manager stay away from this company and there unrealistic goals how can u meet sales target when u have no business or hardly customers the store manager is terrible and lazy the district is a hot mess they dont train correctly stay away from this job its not worth it your in the store alone for hours before your tea guide sometimes you cant go to lunch this place is a hot mess
Pros
Cons
The job and company it’s self
Experience at DavidsTea
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAJanuary 10, 2018
Great people, caring team. Everyone was super supportive, positive, and welcoming and made me feel at home. Overall pleasant experience, and a really kind team.
Stressful, Management needs improving.
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 18, 2017
A typical day is starting my week working 5 days a week for a part time job. I work almost full time hours, and have been stressed out since we received a new manager. Its competitive, stressful, and completely unfair when it comes to advancing in the work place.
Pros
50% discount, free tea all day long
Cons
short breaks, competitive driven sales, sampling in the freezing cold, too much information give at once.
Part-time Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 30, 2017
I loved working at DAVIDsTEA!!
Great crew, products and customers.
Coming into DAVIDsTea, I had no retail experience but in the short time of being there I got well educated on areas way beyond just customer service.
Current Manager was not the type of Manager I wanted as a mentor.
Pros
Customers and Crew!!
Predictable retail job, better environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PANovember 7, 2017
Shift supervisor - open and closed the store. Often worked alone to open. Oversaw tea guides. Lots of management turn over. Current management is good to work under. Some slow days. Often goals that seem unachievable. Environment is laid back. Not too much room for growth without relocation.
Failing... Just look at the stock.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2017
I could go pages and pages and pages how this company is but just look at the stock. This tells A LOT! District Managers are uneducated and make foolish mistakes, leadership is always changing, employees leave once they get that vibe that "its you fault we are not making it" and look how many time they post on LinkedIn begging people to work there.... they claim its because of growth well it clearly does not seem like it! Even Apple does not post that much LOL! Its a joke. If you work there then you already know ....
Pros
Free Tea
Cons
Too many to list
Fun and relaxed workplace with good discount; unfair wages
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAAugust 28, 2017
A typical day at work was fun if not a little boring. I learned a lot about tea and how to make it. Management was okay. Management tended to favor some workers over others. Most coworkers were friendly and respectful but when they weren't management shrugged it off. Hardest part of the job is the inconsistencies among the company policies. Most enjoyable part of the job was the 50% discount.
Used to be great but now so numbers based.
Tea Guide (Sales Associate) (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 29, 2017
This used to be a great, compassionate company before it was bought out by Americans. Now everything is so numbers motivated and they push a lot of unnecessary product that customers do not even like and force us stores to try to get rid of it.
Pros
4 free cups of personalized tea. 50% employee discount
Cons
Higher-ups are horrible, inconsiderate, everyone (store manager and below) are disposable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DAVIDsTEA. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight