DAVIDsTEA Employee Reviews

Great ideals but did not value me as a coworker
Sales Associate, Tea guide (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 7, 2018
I learned about the culture of tea and the beliefs of the company but did not give enough room to grow as a sales associate and did not give me enough hours. I worked two days a week for about five hours a day. I felt like they were very judgemental but did not communicate well with me on issues that needed to be improved. They let me go over the summer when there was new management even though I was told I was still going to be able to work there when I got back.
A relaxing workplace where employees can kick back and still get work done
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 27, 2018
A typical day at David'sTea consisted of brewing the teas of the day, making sure all shelves are fully stocked, and that every customer that comes in is satisfied.
Pros
Fair hourly wages
Cons
previous management
Fun workplace
TEA GUIDE (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NYMarch 7, 2018
Great company culture and product, however district managers are a revolving door. The new CEO is working to provide fair wages, however in order to get paid benefits must be full time for more than a year.
Pros
Free tea, 50% off products
Cons
DM is fond of micromanaging
One of the best jobs I ever had
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Brickell, FloridaMarch 3, 2018
I have learned so much working at David's Tea in my time since joining. It's a collaborative environment that fosters growth. My boss is pretty fantastic. She has been helping me hone my skills and is a mentor. The field team and our corporate partners are very responsive which doesn't happen everywhere. Working with tea has become a passion and I look forward to helping the customers and having a structure that helps me become a better leader.
Pros
Free Tea, great discounts, comprehensive benefits.
Disorganized, temperamental, and two faced environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 1, 2018
The overall product is great. Great tea and great merchandise. The overall goal of the company is to promote positivity to the customers and to the employees, unfortunately in their goal to promote positivity they take everything extremely seriously.
Sales goals are unrealistic, and promotes toxicity within the store. Sales Managers have so much to do they are unable to focus on employees. Upper management does not actively check in with others within the store
Pros
Free tea
Cons
Stressful sales environment, unreachable goals, work that is often panicked, lack of follow through with management.
Terrible
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 7, 2018
I worked at brickell city as a asm the worst job and store manager stay away from this company and there unrealistic goals how can u meet sales target when u have no business or hardly customers the store manager is terrible and lazy the district is a hot mess they dont train correctly stay away from this job its not worth it your in the store alone for hours before your tea guide sometimes you cant go to lunch this place is a hot mess
Pros
Cons
The job and company it’s self
Experience at DavidsTea
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAJanuary 10, 2018
Great people, caring team. Everyone was super supportive, positive, and welcoming and made me feel at home. Overall pleasant experience, and a really kind team.
Stressful, Management needs improving.
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 18, 2017
A typical day is starting my week working 5 days a week for a part time job. I work almost full time hours, and have been stressed out since we received a new manager. Its competitive, stressful, and completely unfair when it comes to advancing in the work place.
Pros
50% discount, free tea all day long
Cons
short breaks, competitive driven sales, sampling in the freezing cold, too much information give at once.
Part-time Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 30, 2017
I loved working at DAVIDsTEA!!
Great crew, products and customers.
Coming into DAVIDsTea, I had no retail experience but in the short time of being there I got well educated on areas way beyond just customer service.
Current Manager was not the type of Manager I wanted as a mentor.
Pros
Customers and Crew!!
Predictable retail job, better environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PANovember 7, 2017
Shift supervisor - open and closed the store. Often worked alone to open. Oversaw tea guides. Lots of management turn over. Current management is good to work under. Some slow days. Often goals that seem unachievable. Environment is laid back. Not too much room for growth without relocation.
Failing... Just look at the stock.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2017
I could go pages and pages and pages how this company is but just look at the stock. This tells A LOT! District Managers are uneducated and make foolish mistakes, leadership is always changing, employees leave once they get that vibe that "its you fault we are not making it" and look how many time they post on LinkedIn begging people to work there.... they claim its because of growth well it clearly does not seem like it! Even Apple does not post that much LOL! Its a joke. If you work there then you already know ....
Pros
Free Tea
Cons
Too many to list
Fun and relaxed workplace with good discount; unfair wages
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAAugust 28, 2017
A typical day at work was fun if not a little boring. I learned a lot about tea and how to make it. Management was okay. Management tended to favor some workers over others. Most coworkers were friendly and respectful but when they weren't management shrugged it off. Hardest part of the job is the inconsistencies among the company policies. Most enjoyable part of the job was the 50% discount.
Used to be great but now so numbers based.
Tea Guide (Sales Associate) (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 29, 2017
This used to be a great, compassionate company before it was bought out by Americans. Now everything is so numbers motivated and they push a lot of unnecessary product that customers do not even like and force us stores to try to get rid of it.
Pros
4 free cups of personalized tea. 50% employee discount
Cons
Higher-ups are horrible, inconsiderate, everyone (store manager and below) are disposable.
I loved working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYMay 15, 2017
It was a nice environment to work in all employees and managers were very kind i did not have any problems working there the pay and hours we the only thing i did not like
Pros
Free tea
No Soul
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 6, 2017
This company used to live up to it's culture and values. Now in the US they have upper management that prefers following the failing retail norm. The company has lost every ounce of culture that made it special and genuine.
Fun workplace but terrible mangement
Sales, Customer (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAMay 1, 2017
I enjoyed the products they sold and the co workers I ad but the management was difficult to work under. The compensation was ok but nothing special. I would probably not work there again.
Fun work place, very relaxed, great management.
Tea guide (Current Employee) –  Rosemont, ILApril 16, 2017
Very relaxed workplace, great co-workers. Management is very well trained. Helping a customer find what they need also feels very good. Employee discount is amazing, and employees drink tea for free while on the clock.
Pros
Free tea to drink while at work.
Great first job experience
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 23, 2016
Helped me break out of my shyness. Typical day involved lots of customer service. Great management however it changed too frequently.
Pros
Tea, Learning experience, Customer Service improvement
Cons
Couldn't improve
Needs motivation/development and culture connection in US!
STORE MANAGER/ MARKET BRAND MANAGER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2016
Needs support of upper management (regional and district managers) to inspire, develop and train store leaders. US doesn't feel part of DavidsTEA culture that seems to thrive in Canada.
Pros
Amazing tea! Fun!!
Cons
very little benefits
Fun environment
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 5, 2013
Great place to work if you are looking for a side job, or if you are looking to start a career in beverage/retail. Young, hip company with great benefits and awesome managers.