Dayton Freight Lines, Inc.
66Average

Dayton Freight Lines, Inc. Employee Reviews

United States293 reviews
No room for advancement! Part time only i guess. I’ve spoke with a few of my part time co-workers, they all mostly said they’ve been working 1-2 years there and nothing hasn’t happened. No Befits
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not enough hours/ part time
The company offers many different ways to learn different roles and promotes from within. Facilities are top of the line compares to other freight companies.
Great company to work for. Many opportunities for advancement if you are willing to work for them. I started as a part time dock worker then became a driver through their dock to driver program. The only reason I’m not still there is by my own fault.
One of the worst jobs in terms of employee happiness, keeping the employees happy was definitely not a top priority for the employer. I worked for this company for four years and when I first started it was great, it seemed family oriented then we got new management and everything started to go downhill. It turned more into a corporation and everyone at the terminal was far from happy.
Terrible company to work for, don't look out for employees
Don't care if you do a go job or not, will treat you terribly and never give you any help
Pros
Cons
To many to count
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
I’ve been here for 6 months and I’ve enjoyed it, I am still a college student and they have been more than helpful with getting me the hours I want while working around my class schedule. Everyone on the dock is dedicated to doing the job correctly and quickly while helping other learn. Supervisors are always willing to teach and fun to work around.
The hole place in on the good old boy standered. Good group of guys on the floor, however the hole management team in the Indy tri-state region are back bitting yes men who will run you out of the place if your not a yes man, or express how you see thing. There climate survey is a joke and only there to gather Intel on the techs. Best bet go elsewhere.
Great company . Great pay benefits etc. Nice equipment. Always upgrading to bigger and better. Technology is very up to date. Management will make sure your happy.
Dayton was a great environment to work in, as far as managers and coworkers. Pay was below industry standard. Opportunities for advancement from hourly to management/supervision very difficult without a degree.
The hardest part of the job was getting familiar with their computer system. Different than any other I have worked with. Calling customers to set delivery appointments. Handle customers in-coming calls to set up pickup times. File necessary paperwork for retaining for DOT inspections.
No room for advancement unless you are willing to work graveyard shift 10 hours a day. Absolutely no precautions taken by management for covid-19 and also no hazard pay though they consider themselves essential. If you are part-time you have no sick days and no benefits so if you get sick you are in some trouble and may find yourself unemployed. I was written up for calling in when my cousin died and then written up again for the funeral. I tried requesting that day off got denied and told by management to call in for the funeral. When I returned I was told that it was a write up because "That's not immediate family. So the point is if you are OK with being treated like a dog or robot I say Dayton Freightlines is the place for you lol
Cons
The OM and TM do nothing to promote the culture that the owners want. They are on cruise control, and are usually out the door by noon. The owners have done a great job building this company and growing it, unfortunately Louisville is not where it should be....
Great place to work. Integrity is unmatched. Equipment and facilities are well maintained. Work place environment is culture based; treat you with respect.
Pros
Very high integrity. Above average pay and benefits.
Cons
Just stay on your toes. This job requires alot. Keep your nose clean and pay attention. Don't be afraid to ask any questions either that helps you in the long run. Remember high and tight.
There is only one technician per shift. Average work day is 12 to 14 hours. You will be so busy working on equipment that you will never get your lunch breaks. Equipment is in very poor condition. You will be extremely over loaded with work. Management has unrealistic goals, rude, harassing and degrading. If you get severly injured on the job they will try their best to get rid of you.
It can be an excited company to work for. The bigger the company gets, the more out of touch Upper Management becomes. From the managers perspective you must tow the line.
This is a good company and with good people. It’s best to be on time and work smart. Safety is very important when working here. They are willing to work with your schedule.
I worked at DFL for 2 years, very flexible with my needs regarding my hours. Would pick which days I'd work a month in advance.

The biggest downfall is there is not much opportunity to get a full time position, and benefits.

In the end finding a job that paid well and offered overtime is much more worth your time and money.
Three horrendous incidents happen that should get any employer in trouble with the EEOC. First was the manager at the office finding no problem with a coworker making gas noises at me to mimic gas seeping out of a gas chamber, their solution was making me switch my desk without any change to the other coworker. Second was management being reluctant to let me wear footwear with proper support to prevent my plantar fasciitis from acting up. The final incident was management taking side of a spiteful coworker coming up with fictitious stories about me "making mean hand gestures and cursing in Dutch" when I never attempted to interact with this coworker (because they report me for false allegations) and I don't even speak a language to any considerable extent that isn't English.

TLDR: If you have no ambition to move up in your work career then this is a perfect place to work. If you are educated and/or want to improve your financial standing in life then apply anywhere else but Dayton Freight.
Pros
Not showing to work until 1:30pm
Cons
The managers allowed other coworkers to intimidate me into leaving the position
its a great place to work. working independantly is the most enjoyable part of the job. interacting with the customers was great. great workplace culture
Its a good place to be at if you are a driver or want to learn the freight industry but hard to move or grow with a degree in the freight industry. Great place for driving to get CDL but hard to keep part time dock employees.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dayton Freight Lines, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.