Dayton Freight Lines, Inc. Employee Reviews

Is ok for a short term
Forklift Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 12, 2019
Havent been there long. Already looking for something new. Its ok for a short term thing if your at a job you don't like and need out quick. but don't stop looking for another job.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Hours are to short.
Great Well Run Company
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 9, 2019
Account Manager: Great experience: Lots of support, well run company. Rarely had service issues and when there were, you could get things made right easily. As an Account Manager I've learned to judge a company by how many phone calls/emails I get with customer complaints/issues, at Dayton it was rare to receive any!
Grew the business by calling on accounts where I had previous relationships, cold calling and working driver leads.
Hardest part was losing an account over price or when a new contact would come to the company with a previous relationship with another carrier and you lose the business due to that vs anything you did.
Pros
Good work environment, great service
Cons
the competitive nature of the business
Very nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHMarch 8, 2019
Dayton Freight is a very nice place to work. I have truly enjoyed working here. Management is very knowledgeable and willing to teach anyone that wants to learn and grow. Everyone demonstrates the Dayton Difference and that is what makes this company different and a great place to work.
Pros
Employee appreciation week
Cons
Personally have never met the president of the company
stressfull
Tractor Trailer Truck Driver Linehaul (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 7, 2019
the position I was in was challenging and stressful. the pay was good but not worth it if you have a family or desire an entertaining life after work.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
stress
Good
Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 19, 2019
The people are great and they treat thier customers product respectfully. I like it there and is perfect for my schudule. If your looking for part time stress free work environment this is for you.
Pros
Hourly rate, part time, easy
Cons
Part time, cold/hot, no benefits
Great work enviroment
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHFebruary 18, 2019
Like working for Dayton Freight and would recommend to a friend or family member.

Routes and loads very organized from terminal manager.

If I had any issues we worked them out together and came to an agreeable solution.
Pros
Paid overtime
Cons
Very good company to work for
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHFebruary 15, 2019
Good reliable equipment, good people. Take care of all there employees part time and full time. Treats all employees as full time. Cookouts ,employees appreciation week, Christmas bonus every year for b.c all employees part time and full time
Pros
Regular cookouts
N/a
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Grayling, MIFebruary 15, 2019
I would not like to express any thing about the company. I have nothing bad to say. I was a truck driver for this company for 12 years. I’m just trying to get 150 characters minimum.
Pros
It’s a good company
Cons
No accident forgiveness
Listen to music while working
Centralized Biller (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 2, 2019
Since you stare at a computer screen billing all night, they allow you to listen to your own music or audio books to be kept entertained and alert. It made work enjoyable.
Pros
Often Company Activities
Cons
Not paid time and a half for overtime
Nice place to Work but Stressful
Corporate Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 25, 2019
Easy work, but some things are not clear on what is expected. And when you do something expected, it is constantly changed. The disciplinary action seemed a bit over board and unfair. But the work itself was easy and manageable. Good work environment.
Ok place to work
Dockworker (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJanuary 12, 2019
For dockerworker it is only PART TIME. You will work 20-27 hours. No more than 27 hours. For the pm shift you start @ 4pm. And don’t normally get done until 8:30-9:00pm. It seemed like taking a break off your forklift was frowned upon, like you’re not allowed to go to the bathroom.. You work in a bay with about 25 bay doors, it is NOT heated so it gets really cold. The cross breeze really gets at you. There’s lots of room for error and every incident is a write up so you’re pretty much doomed if you accidentally mess something up. I don’t actually think I was even certified to operate a forklift as I started driving one my 2nd day (didn’t even do any certification or anything).
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Only part time, cold, management doesn’t really care.
overall a great job for night owls
biller (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OH 45414December 15, 2018
The billing department is live data entry. The dept doesn't leave until all work has been finished. It's nice to have the overtime when you need it, but the company has been hesitant to help me specifically with my schedule. For example, I had to get a doctor's note during my pregnancy to reduce my hours from 55 to 40 due to back pain (since they did not feel it was necessary to provide, or let me provide my own, maternity chair). If you can get past "unwritten" discrimination such as that, then it is a great place to work. Every day, you learn new things on different accounts and you get to work at your own pace without your boss breathing down your back. Management has improved IMMENSELY since June 2017. The worst part of the job would be not ever knowing what time you are going to get off work. It's mandatory overtime; no one leaves until all work is finished for the night. The benefits are amazing and the people you work with will become family.
Great coworkers, Management no so great
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 8, 2018
First and foremost, the people you work with on the dock are great! The only reason this job was even remotely bearable is the other workers on the dock.

There is a huge disparity in how people are treated. If you are part of the "In Crowd" then you can do just about anything. If you are management, you CAN do anything. What can management do? Well, the Operations Manager can hop on a forklift, slam into the head of safety and his forklift with nothing being done. No incident report and no drug testing which is company policy. Management can degrade and insult part time employees at their whim. Management has targeted employees for termination and distort facts to fit their narrative. This kind of behavior happens all too often. Don't call HR, if you do, you are on the fast track out the door! As for the in crowd, haha, well, we have a saying on the floor, "Estes Besties". Part timers are rolled over to full time based solely on managers discretion. Several PT have come in and been promoted to FT after others yet get FT first even though several others have been there longer with the same, if not better numbers. The "In Crowd" also doesn't adhere to the same standards as others. There are certain numbers to reach for some while others in the "In Crowd" are not held to the same standards.

SAFETY: Safety is something that has slowly been becoming a topic to be taken more serious. There have been a couple incidents this last year where multiple people were sent to the hospital at a time. The company did take measures to try to prevent those same accidents from happening
  more... again. There are still some questioning current "procedures" and their implementation but Dayton Freight is working on fixing the holes in the process.

Overall, if you do decide to work at Dayton Freight as a PT dock worker, expect to be treated like a second class citizen. You get ZERO vacation, personal, sick days or holiday pay. There are a couple managers that are amazing but understand they will protect themselves first.

☆Disclaimer☆ It is an open air dock with NO heat and NO a/c. Whatever the weather is outside, it is the same on the dock. Snow, rain, ice, heat, they are all yours to experience.
Pros
Great coworkers. Occasional swag and food.
Cons
No Vacation time, sick days, personal days. Selective rule enforcement. Favoritism. Weather Exposure.
Great working environment
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Saint Peters, MODecember 8, 2018
I love working here. I am only part time, but you will never find a better part time job for the pay. They are very flexible and accomadating. The only downside is dealing with the weather. but you just have to learn how to dress for the weather conditions..They are fair and generous.
mechanic
DIESEL MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INNovember 27, 2018
job is decent if you're a new mechanic trying to basic work, as an experienced mechanic this job is boring to me. the major work is sent out and jobs are held for certain people that the boss likes.
Pros
easy
Cons
boring and only 2nd or 3rd shift
Outstanding LTL Transportation Company
Service Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MINovember 8, 2018
As a former employee for Dayton Freight I will say its an outstanding company to work for. I would encourage others to apply and for those that are currently employed to stay there. DFL has an awesome culture that makes everyone feel that they make a difference and apart of something special.
Pros
Company Culture and Leadership
Great place to work but going more corporate
Linehaul driver (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 31, 2018
Pay is great at Dayton freight. $27.30/hour for city drivers and .674cpm for Linehaul at top pay. Dock workers were somewhere around 20ish/hour. Linehaul drivers aren’t required to work the dock most of the time and they don’t try and screw you out of pay. My cons for Dayton freight are that they only hire dumb kids straight out of college for office work and they are just that. No room for advancement for a driver to ever get out of the truck. Can’t even interview for another job. Job/personal life sucks because of working nights. Corporate mentality means that you are just a number. Not to mention the third party monitor service that secretly monitors and records your driving at random times. God forbid you get a bad review from these guys, it will end in disciplinary action for you. They keep chainring the rules for vacation time as they see fit without informing the employees. Went from 8 to 9 and now to 10 years of full time service to earn three weeks vacation. 18 years (!) for four weeks vacation. No more after that. 3 personal days and no sick time and no vacation buyout or rollover.

I guess it’s tome for a few pros. Pay is great. They are closed on the weekends and all major holidays with holiday pay. 401k match is at 50% up to 6% currently. They have an employee appreciation week in August where they do some nice things for the employees during that week such as free lunches, steak dinners and you can win some shirts and stuff like that. They have a yearly driver rep meeting with the big wigs, but it’s mostly a feel good meeting where the big wigs pat each other
  more... on the back and talk about how great their company is.

All in all, it’s a good company, trending toward corporate mentality. I wouldn’t expect to retire from there. Most guys that do retire go out on their backs, not walk out on their feet.
Pros
Good pay/benefits.
Cons
Read the review, too many to list.
Great company with many benefits
Local Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Crest Hill, ILSeptember 30, 2018
Good company with competitive wages, excellent employer. Friendly, hard-working co-workers. Management and dispatch always willing to help with deliveries if needed.
Pros
Breaks, Bonuses
Cons
requires a high level of awareness at all times
LTL Pickup and Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 25, 2018
Dayton Freight is a great place to work with high emphasis on family culture. Fast paced work environment with out many breaks during the course of the day.
Pros
fast paced days go by very quickly
Cons
short breaks
great place to work
Transportation Driver (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INSeptember 24, 2018
friendly people great pay i would recommend anyone to work there Boss was great and always helpful vacation time given was great and so were all the benefits
benefits
Cons
long days