Dayton Freight Lines, Inc. Employee Reviews

overall a great job for night owls
biller (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OH 45414December 15, 2018
The billing department is live data entry. The dept doesn't leave until all work has been finished. It's nice to have the overtime when you need it, but the company has been hesitant to help me specifically with my schedule. For example, I had to get a doctor's note during my pregnancy to reduce my hours from 55 to 40 due to back pain (since they did not feel it was necessary to provide, or let me provide my own, maternity chair). If you can get past "unwritten" discrimination such as that, then it is a great place to work. Every day, you learn new things on different accounts and you get to work at your own pace without your boss breathing down your back. Management has improved IMMENSELY since June 2017. The worst part of the job would be not ever knowing what time you are going to get off work. It's mandatory overtime; no one leaves until all work is finished for the night. The benefits are amazing and the people you work with will become family.
Great coworkers, Management no so great
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 8, 2018
First and foremost, the people you work with on the dock are great! The only reason this job was even remotely bearable is the other workers on the dock.

There is a huge disparity in how people are treated. If you are part of the "In Crowd" then you can do just about anything. If you are management, you CAN do anything. What can management do? Well, the Operations Manager can hop on a forklift, slam into the head of safety and his forklift with nothing being done. No incident report and no drug testing which is company policy. Management can degrade and insult part time employees at their whim. Management has targeted employees for termination and distort facts to fit their narrative. This kind of behavior happens all too often. Don't call HR, if you do, you are on the fast track out the door! As for the in crowd, haha, well, we have a saying on the floor, "Estes Besties". Part timers are rolled over to full time based solely on managers discretion. Several PT have come in and been promoted to FT after others yet get FT first even though several others have been there longer with the same, if not better numbers. The "In Crowd" also doesn't adhere to the same standards as others. There are certain numbers to reach for some while others in the "In Crowd" are not held to the same standards.

SAFETY: Safety is something that has slowly been becoming a topic to be taken more serious. There have been a couple incidents this last year where multiple people were sent to the hospital at a time. The company did take measures to try to prevent those same accidents from happening
  more... again. There are still some questioning current "procedures" and their implementation but Dayton Freight is working on fixing the holes in the process.

Overall, if you do decide to work at Dayton Freight as a PT dock worker, expect to be treated like a second class citizen. You get ZERO vacation, personal, sick days or holiday pay. There are a couple managers that are amazing but understand they will protect themselves first.

☆Disclaimer☆ It is an open air dock with NO heat and NO a/c. Whatever the weather is outside, it is the same on the dock. Snow, rain, ice, heat, they are all yours to experience.
Pros
Great coworkers. Occasional swag and food.
Cons
No Vacation time, sick days, personal days. Selective rule enforcement. Favoritism. Weather Exposure.
Great working environment
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Saint Peters, MODecember 8, 2018
I love working here. I am only part time, but you will never find a better part time job for the pay. They are very flexible and accomadating. The only downside is dealing with the weather. but you just have to learn how to dress for the weather conditions..They are fair and generous.
mechanic
DIESEL MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INNovember 27, 2018
job is decent if you're a new mechanic trying to basic work, as an experienced mechanic this job is boring to me. the major work is sent out and jobs are held for certain people that the boss likes.
Pros
easy
Cons
boring and only 2nd or 3rd shift
Outstanding LTL Transportation Company
Service Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MINovember 8, 2018
As a former employee for Dayton Freight I will say its an outstanding company to work for. I would encourage others to apply and for those that are currently employed to stay there. DFL has an awesome culture that makes everyone feel that they make a difference and apart of something special.
Pros
Company Culture and Leadership
Great place to work but going more corporate
Linehaul driver (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 31, 2018
Pay is great at Dayton freight. $27.30/hour for city drivers and .674cpm for Linehaul at top pay. Dock workers were somewhere around 20ish/hour. Linehaul drivers aren’t required to work the dock most of the time and they don’t try and screw you out of pay. My cons for Dayton freight are that they only hire dumb kids straight out of college for office work and they are just that. No room for advancement for a driver to ever get out of the truck. Can’t even interview for another job. Job/personal life sucks because of working nights. Corporate mentality means that you are just a number. Not to mention the third party monitor service that secretly monitors and records your driving at random times. God forbid you get a bad review from these guys, it will end in disciplinary action for you. They keep chainring the rules for vacation time as they see fit without informing the employees. Went from 8 to 9 and now to 10 years of full time service to earn three weeks vacation. 18 years (!) for four weeks vacation. No more after that. 3 personal days and no sick time and no vacation buyout or rollover.

I guess it’s tome for a few pros. Pay is great. They are closed on the weekends and all major holidays with holiday pay. 401k match is at 50% up to 6% currently. They have an employee appreciation week in August where they do some nice things for the employees during that week such as free lunches, steak dinners and you can win some shirts and stuff like that. They have a yearly driver rep meeting with the big wigs, but it’s mostly a feel good meeting where the big wigs pat each other
  more... on the back and talk about how great their company is.

All in all, it’s a good company, trending toward corporate mentality. I wouldn’t expect to retire from there. Most guys that do retire go out on their backs, not walk out on their feet.
Pros
Good pay/benefits.
Cons
Read the review, too many to list.
Great company with many benefits
Local Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Crest Hill, ILSeptember 30, 2018
Good company with competitive wages, excellent employer. Friendly, hard-working co-workers. Management and dispatch always willing to help with deliveries if needed.
Pros
Breaks, Bonuses
Cons
requires a high level of awareness at all times
LTL Pickup and Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 25, 2018
Dayton Freight is a great place to work with high emphasis on family culture. Fast paced work environment with out many breaks during the course of the day.
Pros
fast paced days go by very quickly
Cons
short breaks
great place to work
Transportation Driver (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INSeptember 24, 2018
friendly people great pay i would recommend anyone to work there Boss was great and always helpful vacation time given was great and so were all the benefits
benefits
Cons
long days
for drivers, great place to work
Line Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Crest Hill, ILAugust 21, 2018
Company had great equipment, on site repair facility that hustled when you had any issues and nice management.

I drove as a line haul driver at the Crest Hill, Illinois facility. I would come in and wait for my load to process and then take off. My run was to Grand Rapids, MI and then back. Most of the time I would get an additional stop on the way back to Rockford, Milwaukee or South Bend. Overall it wasn't bad at all, EXCEPT when you were tired from driving all night and upon return to the home terminal you were told you have to do one more run to the Des Plaines terminal at the peak of the morning rush hour.

The pay was great, the equipment was all new and well maintained, management was really fair and nice as were your co-workers. My problem was that I couldn't handle the overnight shift and was having a lot of trouble staying awake between 2-4 AM. When i had my second brush with dozing at the wheel, I knew i was done. The fast paced day shift is something I couldn't handle so I resigned.

I would work here again in a heart beat if they had a day time /afternoon line haul type position
Pros
pay, equipment, benefits, management
Cons
none to speak of
VERY poor excuse for an employer...
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Charter Township of Brownstown, MIAugust 9, 2018
This job provides little/no training whatsoever. It's a completely "sink-or-swim" proposition and management is VERY quick to reprimand their dock workers for infractions that they failed to provide training against.

The pay would be adequate ($18.65 hr.) were it not a part-time situation (20-25 hrs.) That being said, Dayton Freight offers no benefits of ANY kind.
Pros
Cons
Few hours, No benefits, VERY poor management, extreme working conditions
Great workplace, not so great comaraderie between employees
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 8, 2018
Working at Dayton freight was fine, gave plenty of experience needed to complete work, but days were often cluttered. Worked far too many things in the span of a week, and was expected to drop things and pick them back up later with no slow down.
Pros
overall job expirience
Cons
vacation time
Great people
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St. Peters, MOAugust 2, 2018
Good place to work, take care of you and showmwillingness to improve and you will be left alone. Competitive pay, weak vacation accruell plan, good management at the top.
Pros
Competitive salary
Cons
Overnight shifts
Great company! Best in the industry
Linehaul driver nights (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, INJuly 23, 2018
Great people to work with, great pay and benefits. Excellent company to work for. They treat the employees very well unlike most companies out there. The equipment is nice and the management truly cares.
Pros
Pay and benefits
good coworkers
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  East Moline, ILJuly 19, 2018
Loved working with a lot of the people there, but if you are looking for a place to advance in this is not the place. Coworkers are a blast to meet and work with some others not so much. Pays good, but too much can be asked of one person and you find yourself being taken advantage of.
Pros
Good coworkers
Productive and learning workplace
Assistant Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJuly 10, 2018
I spent most days at this company learning something new or having management help me to venture into becoming more proficient in systems operated by management. All of management was enthusiastic about aiding my rise in the company.
Pros
flexible schedule for students
If you like office work
Logistics / OS&D Clerk / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOJuly 5, 2018
Dayton Freight is a busy and ever growing company. There is no shortage of work to be done. Working in the office you will acquire in depth knowledge of the freight industry.
Pros
Learning an office
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement.
Dayton freight
W&R REPORTS / PART TIME (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJune 27, 2018
Dayton freight paid extremely well. Very fast pace working on forklift. Crowded and can get very cold or very hot depending on the conditions of the weather of the day.
Fast paced, reasonable wages, good health benefits
Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, INJune 27, 2018
The ordinary day involves early hours and handling of various products. Some of these products include hazardous materials. Most dock positions are part-time positions.
Pros
Working outdoors during the summer
Cons
Working outdoors during the winter, unusual hours
Hard pace to work and stay
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Lowell, INJune 5, 2018
It is s very bad place to work unless you are just looking for some quick money. No room for advancement and they pay zero benifits. Poor management that plays favorites
Pros
Fair pay
Cons
Very bad green management