Dayton Freight Lines, Inc. Employee Reviews for Driver

Ratings breakdown
Fun fast paced
P and d driver (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 29, 2018
Fun working environment great people to work with Monday thru Friday 8-10 hours a day great benefits overtime after forty hours start with two weeks vacation time
great part time
Part-time P&D driver (Current Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIDecember 13, 2017
Dayton freight has great for me the last 10 plus years always flexible with my schedule makes it a great part time for me. driver and dock workers get along well.
Pros
great pay great management
Cons
Confused management / uncertain of where to send drivers
Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILOctober 16, 2017
poor management decisions , drivers are over worked and fatigued, force drivers back out to make pickups after a long day of making deliveries and pickups
Pros
profit sharing, overtime
Cons
not a healthy work/ life balance
Great work environment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Sharonville, OHAugust 30, 2017
Local p&d at various companies in the greater Cincinnati area. No dock work. Management is laid back as long as you do your job. Equipment maintenance is good.
Pros
Pay & benefits
Cons
Work schedule
Driver (Former Employee) –  Neenah WisconsinApril 5, 2017
Would recommend this place for anyone looking for a career in truck driving company offers great mileage incentives a very good benefit package matching 401k profit sharing
Pros
Good benefit package
Cons
Non
Best ltl company to work for!
City Driver (Current Employee) –  Tomah, WIMarch 11, 2017
I have been working for Dayton for 10 yrs. and every year it keeps getting better. The benefits, pay, facilities, and equipment are top notch. But most impressive is the culture here at Dayton. You are treated with respect and are reminded in many ways how important you are to the company. This really is a unique company in this industry.What I mean by that is, they really care about you having a quality life at work and home. This all starts at the top with the best ownership in the business. Finally an owner that operates with high standards, good morals, and the understanding of treating employees good results in success!
Pros
Profit sharing, yearly raises, 401k is awesome
Cons
Conditions in winter can b tuff.
Great Company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Byron Center, MINovember 28, 2016
All around great company. Not one single complaint about the company.

The only complaint is not with the company but with the nature of driving for an LTL company. The hours you work. Your not done until your customers allow you to be.....
Pros
Pay, Management, Appreciative, Great attitudes
Cons
Nature of the beast- the hours
Wosrt management and dispatchers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIOctober 11, 2016
The terminal manager is horrible, the dispatchers are even worse. The dispatchers don't know how to read a map, they've never been truck drivers, they'll stab you in the back and write you up for petty stuff if they don't like you so you have a paper trail and fire you. For example write you up for not turning your truck the correct way to be fueled at night, write up. Not putting a chock under your tire, write up. Just a few minor examples. And the terminal manager is horrible, how he is employed by a company like Dayton is beyond me with his Patrick Duffy looking hair do. He doesn't know the first thing about driving a truck or the industry with all things that could go wrong on a daily basis. He basically throws everybody else under the bus to save himself.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Terminal manager
good place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 31, 2016
do your job and they leave you alone. management is very good. great dispatchers. new equipment. benefits are very nice. Dayton is growing and growing
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
some guys not getting hours
I thought
Driver (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJuly 8, 2016
I have tried to get a job here no call back nothing . I have been a class a driver with a perfect record for 5 years . I also used dayton freight for all my pickups for thirteen years at my last job before I got my cdl.
ok
Driver (Former Employee) –  desplaines,ilAugust 24, 2015
typical day at work can be fun or hard depending on the route and customers and weather but over all is always interesting
horrible management
Former driver (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisJanuary 5, 2015
The terminal manager in Indianapolis is the worst person you will ever deal with. He treats everybody as they are below him. he constantly yells and screams at the dock and other supervision. constantly threatens people with their jobs. had one driver that was very sick with pneumonia and was threatened with his job by the outbound supervisor. He was so stressed out which was part of his problem and passed away two days later due to stress. This is happened once before.all of this is known by their corporate office and nothing has ever been done about it
Pros
oay
Cons
horrible management and a corporate office that does not care.
Horrible Mgt.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 6, 2014
Dayton is a great place to work. The mgt in the Indianapolis Terminal is some of the worst I have ever seen. Nothing matters to them except their performance numbers.
The terminal manager treats everyone including the office people with disrespect. Constantly yelling and screaming at everyone. Numerous times i have seen the office help walk out in tears. They are always accusing everyone of stealing time etc. Stress levels so high its unhealthy.

A Driver was sick with pneumonia was told to get back to work no one gets that in the summer time.

He was Threatened with his job. Passed away two days later. This was the second who had passed due to stress.

They write you up for every little issue, and it seems as they enjoy doing so.

They have a multi million dollar computer / tracking system which was never correctly used .

It was; used more to track the drivers and there stop times than anything.
Rarely got to take a lunch at a decent tim:e. Had to eat on the run or take your lunch at 3 or 4'on the afternoon.
If taken earlier in the day sometimes they would call you and ask what you are doing going to lunch so soon.
Anything you did to help save time or money was NEVER appreciated.

They wouldn't listen to anyone's ideas to help make things better. They treated the drivers like second class people that were all below them.
Pros
pay&benefits
Cons
management, Evening, dispatchers
Very productive place great people
P & D Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 9, 2014
Enjoyed going to work never took a sick day typical day avg, about 10hours or more I ran three days to council bulffs and areas in between and two days more local.
Pros
Kept busy most of the time.
Cons
Finding time to take my 30 break
good pay but untrustworthy mgmt
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSSeptember 17, 2013
The work was easy and the guys I worked with were cool and easy going. Pay was good as well. That's where it ends though. Management was a joke and the dispatcher wasn't any good which made for unnecessary stress! They didn't recognize good work but was quick to point out meaningless mistakes. I wasnt one of them but they picked on certain drivers, very unprofessional, imo. We were forced to clock outfor lunches even if we werent given time to physically take one and if we didn't, we were written up.
Pros
pay
Cons
management and work through lunches most days
nice place to work
driver (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 9, 2013
the hardest part of this job was driving in the ice and cold weather
Pros
got to work on my own
Cons
had to meet in time
P&D Driver (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIMay 15, 2013
competitive salary, nice equipment, good benefit package although I did pay for it.
Good paid time off.

Good hours and clients.
Service area was just right.
Pros
Driver Appreciation Week, safety awards
Fast paced, overworked
P & D driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids,& Kalkaska, MiOctober 13, 2012
Management in Kalkaska are back stabbing and will over work you on a daily basis.Working conditions are poor and the salespeople tell customers everything but the truth. Watch your back if you want to work here. You will do 15-20 stops per day and pick up at least 10 on the way back in. Your 53' trailer will be packed and they will want you to get it done in 8 hours, but the pay of reasonable.
Pros
okay pay
Cons
over worked, poor mgmt, long work days