DC Central Kitchen Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
A great place to work
Culinary Student (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 9, 2018
The most enjoyable put of the job was just coming to work. A family feel and good people to surround yourself with. DC Central Kitchen was simply a great experience.
Pros
you learn alot.
Cons
the day ends to fast
Dc central kitchen
Student Cook (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 7, 2018
DC CENTRAL KITCHEN is an excellent organization. I wasn't really employed there but i was a student in they culinary job training program which was amazing.i would strongly recommend checking that place out.you get a chance to be apart of something amazing.
Pros
free lunch, friendly environment
Cons
learning and getting to give back to the community
Life changing experience
VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCES (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2018
Excellent place to volunteer. I always felt that I was truly making a difference in the lives of those, whom we were trying to help. In addition, I always walked out of their full.
It's not fun
Volunteer Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 8, 2017
Working there was a class requirement, it was unpaid, but it's located in a sketchy part of town and it's directly underneath the homeless shelter; never walk back in the dark.
Educative and fun workplace with music
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 21, 2017
When i interned at the DC Central kitchen, i always felt i was making a difference because you could see that the food you were helping prepare was going to be given to people who had no food to eat .
Amazing Voluntary Experience
Volunteer Meal Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 9, 2017
Volunteering at the Central Kitchen was a nice and fun experience to help cook the food and serve the homeless people felt very good to know i was helping out and doing a good thing
Great Non-Profit
sales (Current Employee) –  dcJuly 31, 2017
Great for all who love to help people.Provides lots of opportunities for anyone seeking a second or third chance at becoming a productive, contributing citizen.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
great place to learn and work
Student Cook (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 21, 2017
great place to learn, work and grow. you will also learn about yourself , food safety and allergens, professional development and financial literacy. At this place 5000 healthy meals are cooked and served to the communities every day.
Pros
hope is restored
Cons
you will put yourself out if you don't behave, nobody will put you out
Productive, Fun and a warm Fuzzy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 16, 2017
Knowing that what I did helped people trying to get back on their feet AND provide food to the least of us made it all worthwhile. While my position was phased out, the work they do is exceptional and I would gladly work with them again.
Helping th ecommunity
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 12, 2017
Being able to take a few days to help those who are less fortunate have a home cooked meal. Meeting new people and just having fun while cooking. Walking streets of dc making a difference.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
I cant do it more often
Very rewarding place to work
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2017
Most days we receive a prep list to follow depending on what is on the menu. The environment depending on your location is usually fun. Some place allow music while others don't. Most people are team players and willing to lend a hand when necessary. The workplace culture is definitely about serving others especially the less fortunate. The hardest part about the job can be at times the mass production of items like butternut squash or dealing with people who can be annoying at times but at the end of the day we all pull together and put aside our differences. Management is not the greatest when it comes to conflict resolution. They will say things to try to resolve the issue but in the end youre left thinking what was said by them was illogical for a solution. They are always willing to work with you if you have personal goals in your life such as school or another job.
Pros
Rewards, Awards, nice pay, good schedule (Mon thru Fri), willing to work with your personal scheduling needs
Cons
Management doesn't solve problems well, poor communication of upper managers
Excellent work environment
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 21, 2017
I started there just a couple of months. I really love working with the people of the company. Its a easy but very fast job. I think I will be there for a very long time.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Health care
Wonderful!
Healthy Corners Program/Truck Farm Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 12, 2016
DC Central kitchen has an amazing mission. Every day the kitchen team meets and states the mission. What is so empowering is much of the kitchen team went through DCCK's own culinary job training program and are living proof the DCCK's mission in action.
Fun Place to work
Cook assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 8, 2015
Prepared all food materials for the head chef, washed dishes for the employees to serve the meals. I also provided wonderful customer service to those who attended the restaurant. I learned a lot of ways to provide assistance for my employees to build a strong team.
Fun place to work four
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2015
you can learn a lot at dc central kitchen if you just put your mind an focus on your work and you are not their to make friend.
Pros
Good company to work four
Cons
Don't get involve in the gossips
help serve the homless and others.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 4, 2015
• Cleaned work areas, equipment, utensils, dishes, and silverware.
• Prepared a variety of foods according to customers' orders or supervisors' instructions, following approved procedures.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Short breaks, being bored
Fun place to volunteer
Volunteer cook assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJuly 29, 2015
Get the menu for the day and work within the team in a task assigned by the chef on duty.Complete assigned task and clean up.
Enjoy a lunch in DC.
Pros
excellent to get back to our community
Excellent Program & Organization
Student Cook (Former Employee) –  DCJune 8, 2015
DCCK is a well thought out organization that stresses the importance of work & life balance with their various programs & resources.
I graduated from the Culinary Job Training program where I did learn a variety of cooking styles & techniques.
Also, the class & staff are usually close and tight knit.
The hardest part was managing multiple tasks with little to no assistance on one major contract that I was contracted to coordinate.
The CEO was always hands in the day to day operations.
Clinical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 26, 2015
Having the Culinary Job Training Program, was a great idea for the organization. It was a way for people, who had been incarcerated, to get back into the main stream.
Pros
Able to work in the field on a daily basis.
Cons
Wish the Board would be take a more active role in the organization.
helping the needy
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2015
everyday here was a story to tell, working here I feed the homeless it felt so good to be able to experience something like this. management was so understanding and always there to talk. I enjoyed everything about this job.me and the other volunteers got along and made it our business to serve delicious healthy meals for the less fortunate.
Pros
free lunch and long breakks
Cons
cleaniness