DC Central Kitchen Employee Review

View all DC Central Kitchen reviews

Best Job ever
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2013
typical day...fun and games while getting lots of work done
I learned to cook for large numbers of people
management was okay cool at times
co-workers were the best
nothing about this job was hard i loved it
most enjoyable part was working with volenters

Other DC Central Kitchen Employee Reviews

Never Judge a Company by it's Exterior
Administrative Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCApril 15, 2018
Working at this company for almost two years now, I can honestly say, looks will fool you. When I first arrived to DC Central Kitchen as a temp. I was over it. I told myself I would not be here long, it was a temp job that paid well enough at the time. Then I started caring about the kitchen, and learning more about what they do; and I met some of the amazing graduates. After working for the CFO (Chief Financial Officer) for a bit, they extended an offer for me to come on the team full time. Again I was hesitant, I wanted an increase in pay (of course, who doesn't), I wanted more out of my life and I couldn't see how I would accomplish that working at DC Central Kitchen in Administration.

But, I took a long hard look at what I was able to bring to the company thus far, and I realized they gave me an opportunity to make a change, in my own way. I was able to increase staff morale, encourage students in the Culinary Job Training Program, and meet some of the best people in the world; and I can't forget the amazing food you get to experience.

Working here I've learned that, you never know what to expect. But what you can expect, is that if you come in everyday willing to put forth your best effort, the outcome will always be positive. It may be nothing to you, but to someone else you might have changed their world. And you can't do that by pretending to be something or someone that you are not, you can only do that if you are being yourself. The hardest part of the job is when everyone's stress levels are high trying to ensure students have the tools necessary to shine,
  more... and when they are crossing the stage getting ready to enter the next part of their journey. At this point the students and the team at DC Central Kitchen knows they are going to be okay; but it's like a parent dropping your child to college for the first time. It's hard but you wouldn't trade this feeling for the world.  less
Pros
Free lunch!! Amazing Events (Capitol Food Fight, Sips and Suppers, etc.)
Cons
Environment. Building is not the best - but we are working on that!
A great place to work
Culinary Student (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 9, 2018
The most enjoyable put of the job was just coming to work. A family feel and good people to surround yourself with. DC Central Kitchen was simply a great experience.
Pros
you learn alot.
Cons
the day ends to fast