DC Housing Authority Employee Reviews

underworked and underpaid
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 29, 2018
My experience at the dc housing authority was good but also very stressful management is very unprofessional and childish. If they don't like you they will make issues with your business relationship. They will pick and talk disrespectfully to you. The pay is okay but it's not worth it.
Enjoyed working there hard work at times but that’s what we get paid for
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  1133 north capital stAugust 22, 2018
Keep a positive attitude think for yourself and listening to those in charge and have knowledge respect your superior and do your best always be willing to learn from skilled tradesmen always be professional don’t except annuity or gifts from tenants if ever in situations where Tenants make sexual remarks inform management don’t do drugs or alcohol and stay focus
Pros
40 min lunch bresk
Cons
Two fifteen minutes breaks
Not a dull moment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 1, 2018
Extremely busy workplace but there is opportunity for growth from within. There's a union for employees that do not supervise but for those that do supervise they are at-will employees.
can be boring at times, can be interesting at times
Senior Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2018
A typical day working in housing can be very stressful, you encounter many different attitudes, and personalities. There are times when people come in and be nasty and disrespectful, but no matter what, we have to treat them with respect. There are time when you want to argue and fuss back with them, but you have to smile.
Dcha
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20002June 18, 2018
Great place to get experience on various problems in IT. Management was involved and gave direction and allowed employees to user their initiative to carry out work.
Pros
No Stress
Cons
Environmental conditions
Flexible
FSS Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 9, 2018
Working at the DC Housing Authority provides you with and opportunity to learn new ways to assist low-income families in becoming self-sufficient. There are many ways to provide assistance to self-sufficiency other than providing low income housing.

Self-sufficiency can be presented in the form of job opportunities, job training, and skills building.
Pros
upward mobility
Cons
limited upper management positions
Great work enviroment
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 3, 2018
Working at DC Housing I was able to learn organization when dealing with a huge database of paperwork via hardcopy and digital. We were able to create a system that worked for the Dept and tenants in the housing program. Had it not been for the recession issue in 2009 I would have never left this place.
Fun place
Plumbers Helper (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 1, 2018
It is very educational and uplifting environment where you can communicate with other in a positive manner and to work together as a team without any friction. The organization has growth opportunities that can allow an individual to learn as they grow and encourages upward mobility
Work, Get Paid and Go Home!
Clerical Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2018
The employees there are majority woman and are very caty. They're sneaky, immature and ignorant. Just do your job, mind your business and stay out of the drama. Clients there are incapable to communicate efficiently, so have well around knowledge on the department is important.
Pros
Benefits and days off
Cons
Too many woman and not enough advancements
Productive place always doing new things
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 22, 2017
Love learning new skills on a daily basis, outdoor, landscaping, trimming, inside work such as: painting, demolition, overall always was a good working environment, got along well with others and always willing to learn new skills to help achieve my goals worked over 10 properties weekly.
benefits
Perfect Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 6, 2017
The company allows you to balance work and personal life. They do not over work you. There are times were it is super busy but never to the point where it's overwhelming.
Stressful depressing
Special Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 27, 2017
As Special Police officer in public housing you deal with everyones problem and situations. You have to keep the peace with grown men and women who are combative and angry most of the time.
Pros
Good benefits paid vacations
Cons
You don't know who you are dealing with on a daily basis, You deal with murders, drug attics, and many people with unknown medical history, You may have to arrest individuals.
Just started with company
Freelance Sub-Contractor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 27, 2017
Drywall hanging, taping, blocking, skimming, sanding, priming, painting, and pointing up drywall; provided excellent customer service; and professional demeanor. Managed in my own business; other management learned in college and received my Bachelors degree in Construction Management.
Pros
1 hour for lunch. Most jobs half hour.
Cons
come from painters union
good place to work
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington Na, DCJune 20, 2017
This was a good work place,.other personnel are good to work with, hour of work is great, the ten years i work there was enjoyable, I was proud to serve the citizen of the District of Columbia. I mostly supervised the new personnel. I came from the Metropolitan Police Dept and brought my experience with me. being aware of your surrounding. the most enjoyable part of the job is fellowship.
Pros
good leave policy
Cons
some time long hours
Was a great place
Receptionist (Internship) (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJune 18, 2017
They are changing every single day. Bringing in new employees that are changing the environment. I used to love this place. Now its hurts my soul just to come to work.
security
Section 8 Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 10, 2017
Very stressful job, taking Tylenol daily for headaches, hardly not breaks for lunch due to workload and monitoring of staff. I learned that it's not always about the amount of money you make, but your happiness and good health. Management was a challenge but setting daily goals made it manageable. The work culture was like working in an all girls school with a male principal and teachers. The hardest part of the job was not getting support from the Union when had to submit a disciplinary action to staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying participants and landlords, while receiving outstanding audit reviews from HUD and OIG.
Pros
Overtime allowed
Cons
hardly no promotions
it's a good opportunity for you
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 15, 2017
A typical day at work is when everyone start off make people laugh.

I learned how to fix people houses.

Our workplace culture was good we just made sure everyone is happy and smiling.

The hardest part is when u have to take everything to the trash

The most enjoyable part is when we go for lunch
Productive and Fun
Special Police Officer (Armed) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 19, 2017
A typical day at work was unpredictable because I was working in a Housing Projects.

I learned how to interact with different types of people such as criminals, people with Mental Illness, Housing residents, and children. Also by treating everyone with respect .

Management was pretty fair and helpful, sometimes miscommunication.

Workplace Culture was mostly blacks, with a few Caucasian's as well.

The hardest part of the job was seeing people injured such as being shot or assaulted by someone.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working well with co-workers.
Pros
Discounts on Lunches
Cons
Short breaks, relief comes to work late sometimes
Very Productive
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 2, 2017
Very professional and never a dull moment. Assisting customer with obtaining housing and self-sufficiency along with various division within agency.
Pros
Assisting clients to overcome barriers
Cons
In need of behavioral health administrative
Fast Paced workplace.
Staff Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 15, 2016
Very fast paced. I enjoyed working with Residents. Supporting the residents and staff were the top priorities within this position and I loved it. The management wasn't the best, but the job itself was very fulfilling and fun. The co-workers were all very nice, team oriented and passionate about their job duties.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Only 30 minute lunch break