DC PUBLIC LIBRARY Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Life at DCPL
Library Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 18, 2018
Many of the locations the branch managers were not informative about adminstrative changes.

My co-workers were awesome. They are a fun group to work with and are knowledgable in their subject areas. They reall work hard to create and support library programs.

Eventhough, you have multiple degrees job advancement is really slow coming especially professional positions.
Pros
Accessible by public transportation
Cons
Working 7 days straight before getting a day off; Burnout fast
Very fun working with staff and patrons.
Custodian/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2017
I really love working with people, and of course helping in any way possible to ensure that their stay here at the library is comfortable, appreciated and that they feel important.
Pros
Working at my own branch.
Cons
Lunch breaks are the same with no problems.
Great workplace with children
Library Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 2, 2017
Working for the DC Public library is a great place to work. I love working there because we not only help individual with finding books, we providing a cooling center for the homeless in the summer time. That why I love my job because I believe in helping other. I feel that the company can get better when it come to the hiring process and moving employee to the next leveler.
Pros
Free information
Cons
Need more hours
Great management staff.
Computer Instructor (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 5, 2017
Great management staff. Need to upgrade workstations with more up to date software. Hire more full time employees to service community better. Extending hours of service would be an improvement.
Very productive workplace
Library Teen Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 23, 2017
This happened to be my very first summer job under my city's summer youth employment program. I networked with others inside of the DC government. When I turned 16 I was aware of the Teen Aide program, which gave me an opportunity to work during high school. I loved working with the public. I got a chance to read as many books as I wanted and I studied for my SAT test without even going to buy all of those materials, because I had them there at work. I loved it here.
na
Library Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 20, 2016
a typical work day is coming in setting up and ready for customers to come in and to be served, I learned a deal of customer service and to know what the customer wants. Certain management was okay to a certain level they didn't always handle job issues as management should. there wasn't anything hard about the job, the co workers and dealing with the public.
Productive family oriented culture
Library Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 28, 2016
Excellent place to showplace your artistic abilities while assisting people navigate technology and locate literature.
Very productive and resourceful environment
Library Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 24, 2015
A typical day at my job would be checking in and out material for patrons, assisting patrons on computers to create emails and or resumes for jobs. Creating displays to advertise different events going on in the library. My colleagues are very cooperative and helpful. We work efficiently together to get the task done.We plan events to go on inside of the library such as back to school events, game nights for teens, movie night for seniors, and many more. The most enjoyable part of my job would be my job overall. There is no downside to my job. I love creating a safe-haven for children and adults who don't have one outside of the library. I also like being able to help someone learn something new everyday
Pretty standard workplace, but can get busy at times.
Library Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 31, 2015
A typical day starts with the opening of the building. A lot of people come to use the computers, either for business or just killing time. Daily activities include shelving items, checking books in and out, and computer assistance.
Busy work enviroment
Library Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2015
This was a small but extremely busy office. They handle all the emergencies and setups at a large campus, and I provided office support for them.
Library Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 18, 2014
A typical day at work involves locating and organizing books that customers have placed on hold, managing the reference desk, helping patrons find books and information, assisting patrons with computer related questions, and planning and implementing various library programs. I've learned a lot about customer service and how to read and adjust to the specific needs of each patron. I also love learning about new books and the public's response to them.
The Worst Place I Ever Worked
2 much information (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 29, 2014
A typical day at work is listening to staff complain about lack of employee morale. Managers do literally nothing all day but run back and forth laughing and gossiping with one another behind closed doors. Salaries are not proportionate to work performed. The hardest working employees are the ones who are never promoted because of all the nepotism and cronyism that runs rampant in all DC Government agencies.

Although I enjoyed my job and many of my colleagues, there were many employees that came through the back door which made it very hard to work with people who were clearly not qualified for the positions.

Not sure about the positive reviews, everyone who has ever worked there and currently work there complain fiercely about the way staff is treated so poorly.

The only good and positive thing I can write about the library is that it is a nice, informative place to visit, but I would not want to work there again.
Pros
Educational resources, hours and locations
Cons
Management, nepotism, cronyism, bad attitudes, managers speaking to staff in nasty tones, and employee mental conditions (unchecked)
Working with the staff
Administrative Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 15, 2013
Files books and other library materials as well as processing employee online time keeping

Assists customers in locating library materials using the online catalog system

Train people on Excel and other programs and work schedules, type reports each month.

The Supervisor of the Volunteer Services Department.

Ordered all the material for each staff member
Answer telephone
Pros
All Holidays off
Cons
Working on the weekends
The workplace would be better if they have employee incentives
Library Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 1, 2013
I enjoyed helping and assisting customers.
Meeting new people and networking.
On the job
Library Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington,DCMarch 5, 2013
I start my tour off in the roll call room with 15 other officer's and a supervisor. After I receive my duty assignment it's off to the races.
I patrol 7 libraries in a PSA (location of Patrol) I run calls from disorderly conduct to drugs are being sold on library property. Some people won't even want a job like this but I have the passion for it . I enforce law to help our great city stay peaceful 100%.
Summer Job
Summer Youth Employee (Former Employee) –  DCSeptember 8, 2012
This was only a summer job only available through DC summer employment program
LIBRARY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 24, 2012
A nice place to work, good people, possibilities to move upward
Pros
relaxing dresscode, good people
Cons
night schedule