DC Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
More Work=Increase pay
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 13, 2018
I enjoy working with the student population. However, I firmly believe that long-term substitutes who are working with the students and checking and grading papers deserve a pay differential
Pros
Out before 5, summers off, refreshing to see students who want to be successful.
Cons
Students can become irate and in general disrespectful
Proceed with caution
Mathematics Department Chair (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 10, 2018
If you want to make an impact on the life of an individual child, you can absolutely do so in DCPS. If you want to make a larger impact on a a classroom or a school, you will have great difficulty doing so with this organization.
Professional School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2018
A typical day at work was good and I learned to meet students where they were and to gain their trust. The principal was a very interactive principal who cared about his students. The work culture was good. The hardest part about my job was working with unruly students who only wanted to make trouble. The most enjoyable part of my job was making a difference in the students lives.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Not a lot of snow days
Dcps
Special Education Teacher and Course Chair (Current Employee) –  S.E. Washington, DCMarch 14, 2018
A typical day in DCPS begins at 8:15am. At 9am I begin teaching. I teach 3 classes per day then coach the cheerleading team after school. I have 3 supervisors (11th grade AP, Special Ed AP, Principal).
The hardest part of my job is the students not receiving consequences for behaviors that disrupt the classroom environment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is coaching the cheerleading team.
The culture in DCPS is stressful.
Love the children and the staff I worked with
Custodial Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 9, 2018
The principal I have was not people friendly I loved the staff and my coworkers and all the children knew me by my name DCPS is and excellent place to work as long u do what you have to do and not get caught in the drama
Pros
You have use or lose and the benefit is good
Cons
The union is not all that
DC Public Schools
Teacher (Former Employee) –  DC-SEJanuary 3, 2018
DC Public Schools is competitive in pay for its teachers. But this school district has problems with leveling the playing field when it comes to resources between the schools there.
good oppoetunity
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 7, 2017
Math and French Teacher Theodore Roosevelt High School
Wilson High School Math
Mc Farlen Middle Math/ Spanish
A math teacher that as nothing had to teach French and Spanish.
No Two Days are The Same.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 1, 2017
Working with DCPS has introduced me to a lot of different school's cultures and has exposed me to many different teaching styles. I am able to really hone in on my craft as a professional.
Stressful
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 6, 2017
I love working for DCPS. The fulfillment that I receive when I help my student's succeed is awesome. There are a lot of stressful elements in this line of work but if you're up for the challenge then you will enjoy the work environment and the culture.
Working with DCPS
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 1, 2017
It is a pleasure working with children, however DCPS needs to pay better. Its not fair to be working so much and only recieving minimum pay. Also, Educational Aides should more time off.
Most teachers I worked with were in fear the entire year of getting below effective IMPACT scores.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCOctober 4, 2017
The environment for teachers was very poor because of the evaluation system in place. Most teachers worried about getting an unfair evaluation from constantly (year after year) changing administrations with differing priorities. Working with students was wonderful. The hardest part of the job was adapting to the yearly changes in how the common core was taught. Getting teacher editions for the textbook was not a given. Getting teaching materials for the students was not a given. The incentive system tends to reward the teachers with the best relationships with the administration and there appears to be a huge tendency to court the administration in ways that seem insincere. Definitely a work in progress.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Constant fear of bad evaluations
Great enviorment to work
Para-Professional (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 21, 2017
Productive, fun, enjoyed working with children. The work day and fellow employees were great. The after school programs were very beneficial to kids and parents.
Pros
Great helping children with their everyday educational needs.
Cons
short breaks, spur of the moment substitute assignments
Good
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2017
I enjoyed working students and the benefits I received while working the DC Public Schools. I was able to work on many levels in the DC Public Schools. Elementary Schools, Middle Schools,High Schools and central administration. In most enviorments I would be the first contact in the public sector.
Pros
Benefits, Enviorments, some excellent supervisors and working with young people
Cons
Reductions in Force
A good place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 11, 2017
My experience at DCPS has been very rewarding. When I began my career as a music teacher, the principal was extremely engaged in building a positive learning experience for the students and faculty. He encouraged us to think out of the box while fostering a love for learning. A typical day at work would entail greeting my classes and teaching them to explore the world of music while creating self esteem and aiding them in endeavoring to reach their fullest potential. Through school culture I was able to complete my masters degree in education and am one semester away from completing my doctorate. I tell my students that believing in your ability to achieve, opens all doors to success!
Pros
community involvement, in and out of school performances
Cons
central office politics that can hinder learning experiences
DCPS the revolving door
Analyst, Enrollment (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCAugust 1, 2017
Government employment is difficult to find. But this employer delivers on the promise of professional growth. The expectation may not match compensation at first but be patient and it can be an amazing growth experience.
just okay
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 13, 2017
The work environment is not progressive and is only good for pay and benefits. Working with children is the only joy that I really have with this job. I am looking to grow out of this soon.
Pros
paid time off
Cons
stress of monotinous tasks that can be less stressful
teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2017
We’re on a mission: to defy expectations about what urban schools and students can achieve, and to make DCPS a model for public education nationwide. What role will you play?
DCPS is a great place to work.
Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 20, 2017
There is room for growth and plenty of support from administration and central office. The Professional Development material is really helpful majority of the time. This is a great place to work if you like children and are dedicated to making a difference. Some of the student population is tough but overall, there are good kids.
DCPS Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 13, 2017
The environment is productive, centered on growing students into the best and happiest while being productive and working towards well established standards.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Achievement Focused Environment
Early Childhood Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJune 6, 2017
I worked for five years at the same DC elementary school. The Early Childhood team was mostly very cooperative and valued collaboration. However, administrative leaders were not always understanding and supportive of the needs of teachers and students. The expectations were high and somewhat rigid (e.g. all teachers expected to follow the exact same schedule; very little room for alterations or flexibility).
Pros
Excellent benefits and decent compensation
Cons
Environment can be somewhat political