DC Water Employee Reviews

learning opportunities
Survey Tech II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 8, 2018
encourage to learn, paid training, Meet other departments and every body willing to assist you in making DC Water a great place to work. able to research and investigate potential problems and give analisis for corrective action.
Pros
Great people
Cons
long distant travel to and from work and home
productive and collaborative
Internship (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 8, 2018
everyone did their best to make me feel at home! knowing i live i was the youngest of the team and French among experienced Americans, i gotta say the atmosphere was super friendly!
i had a great experience as an intern at DC water.
Learning process
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2018
The job was a temporary job and was able to learn a lot of skills. Enjoy my supervision who take me under his wing to train of the skills that need to be learn.
Pros
Lunch breaks was needed
Cons
We take breaks when needed
Tect 3 (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2018
Work isn't hard it's more a mental thing have to make decisions knowledge of the infrastructure knowing how to read blueprints making up as builts it's an easy place to learn work there's no real pressure on you and you get a lot of Knowledge from different people around the job there's a lot of there's a lot of Old-Timers here with with 20 years and above that has plenty of knowledge
Benefits
Siloed work environment
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 13, 2018
A highly siloed organization which is at the cutting edge in production but where other groups lag way behind in action and responsibility. In fact the team I worked with work management asked for.did not have the tools, and will not have them in the near future, to do the job required by management. Information does not flow easily between the different. departments of the organization. My group was barely capable of reporting to the Board of Directors, most data and relevant decisions were being made by other production groups. Personnel highly capable and do the best possible with the limited tools at their disposal. An enjoyable environment for international personnel, our team was heavily skewed to West African and Caribbean individuals.
Pros
High quality personnel, easy going environment
Cons
Highly bureacratic, little management and lack of adequate toolls to work
DC Water Environment
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 13, 2018
Typical day at work consists of a lot of politics. Many people have been promoted and are not prepared for the positions they hold. Management lacks care of employees and the morale has declined over the years.
great benifits
NA (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 6, 2018
large company with a small company feel
nice workshops for women, and health
people move around a lot within the company
each department has its own culture
It is a pretty laid back place to work. The coworkers will look out for you most of the time.
Construction Contract Management Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 26, 2018
Normally, I would compared client invoice and reconcile budget data between the contractor and Capital Paving using excel and shadowed inspectors on construction sites whenever they are going to the field.
DC Water
Liaison (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2018
It's what you make it. This was an internship so I didn't get the real experience of working there but what I observed was an overall average work environment. Training is excellent, work is plentiful, some departments are better than others.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Work experience
You Can Do Better
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 30, 2018
The headline is self-explanatory. The working climate is poor and advancement is unlikely. The turnover is quick and it smells horribly. The safety is not adhered to and harassment of all kinds is rampant.
A place to learn
DC IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 11, 2018
Working at DC Water afforded me training that I could not have gotten anywhere else. It was also a pleasure knowing that I was helping to protect the environment.
It's an OK place of work depending on who you work for/with
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 4, 2018
The culture here at DC Water is utterly terrible. There are people here who literally drain the energy and positivity out of the room and make it extremely difficult to get anything done or help the Authority move forward. Many employees are stuck in their ways and stuck on the old ways of doing things. The HR practices and tools have not been very progressive or even contemporary. However, the new leadership is trying to more in that direction.
Pros
free parking, on-site cafeteria, and "gym"
Cons
smell, the fact that your salary is posted online, gossip, the fact that incompetent and toxic people are not shown the door
Enjoyed the time i'v been here, it just time to move on
Sewer Services, Civil Engineer Technician DS (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCDecember 5, 2017
please see the description from the previous example give, to better access my review for your consideration for the following job posting.
I have enjoyed my time here, it's just I'm looking to move on.
It is an ok place to work
Customer Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 17, 2017
I would recommend working at DC Water if you have a degree or specific field of expertise that you are skilled in. Associates seem to get a bad rap most times due to the management team's underhandedness.
A great place to work.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 16, 2017
It was a great experience. I learned a lot, worked with people from different backgrounds and culture. They encourage diversity.I would reccommend this place to someone who wants and loves to work in the utility industry.
Pros
Learning
Innovation
Customer Service Manager - Meter & Field Services (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCNovember 13, 2017
DC Water is on the cutting edge of innovation with bioenergy and green infrastructure projects. The executive management team is supportive of the strategic goals and strives to ensure that all employees are aligned with the company vision.
Very forward thinking organization
Safety Consultant (Former Employee) –  Wasjhington DCNovember 5, 2017
If my contract hadn't ended I would still be there. Major construction projects on an on going basis. Interesting challenges on working with all types of construction companies. Management was supportive and listened closely to what was shared with them on a professional basis.
Pros
Great Construction Safety Manager
Cons
DC traffic and drive times
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20032October 26, 2017
DC Water is a great place to work. There is lack of growth for admin. Great benefits and a very relaxed organization to work for. Would recommend working there.
Tranportation was good
Secretary/Procurement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington DCOctober 11, 2017
My years at DC Water were very good years, I was Reduction in forced in 2003, I would have stayed until full retirement. New Management took over and displaced government employees and turned over plant to a private agency.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
need medical office on plant and cafeteria
Very interesting how your water is cleaned and reused.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 5, 2017
Very nice atmosphere to work. I could have been a lot better if there had been a balance of men and women. Too many women in the kitchen do not make for a nice meal. I have seen a lot of cutthroat happenings in other departments.
Pros
You can learn a lot about how the water is cleaned and reused.
Cons
Too many women