DCH HEALTH SYSTEM Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
The work place culture needs to greatly improve
Foundation Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  DCH Regional Medical Center - TuscaloosaJuly 11, 2018
I started to begin to notice that the culture of the hospital working there is not what it needs to be when you are helping people. Some managers there are not willing to help you when you have questions to do your job better. They also have horrible ways to train their employees to be the best they can be. Finally people in management or director role are quick to be messing which is not very professional
Pros
Depending on the dept, you can have truly wonderful coworkers.
Cons
Lack of training and willingness to explain when you have questions about tasks.
Great wprk place
DIETTARY/NUTRITONAL SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 19, 2018
Great work hours great benifts vacation time would love to work in diffrent departments co workers is nice management is nice everyone easy to talk to
Pros
Free meals for holidays
Cons
Breaks can be longer if plan on leaving work to eat out
Great Place To Work
O R SCHEDULER (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 14, 2018
It's A Great Place To Work.Friendly Environment.Great Place To Grow.I Recommend Any And All Nurses,PCA,Or Medical People Of All Fields To Come Work Here.
Work
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 29, 2018
I enjoyed working at the ER. It was a fast pace environment. I had to learn to work efficiently but quick. I enjoyed working with my co workers and learned a lot.
ok place
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 18, 2018
PCAs are overloaded with job duties. Patient overload is huge because of staffing issues. Very stressful and long 12hr shifts. Have to work every other weekend
Worst management this department has ever had
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa and NorthportApril 26, 2018
This is not a job anyone would want. They are very inconsiderate with scheduling. Being as short as they are they should help to keep the staff they do have but they make it an impossible work environment. You’re told one thing until you agree to take the job, then they don’t follow through and you feel lied to.
Pros
Location if you live in Tuscaloosa
Cons
Pay, schedule, work requirements, inconsiderate management, shift diff, you may be scheduled at two different campuses not knowing until the day of your shift
Na
PCA/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Fayette, ALApril 23, 2018
Loved my patients and coworkers and enjoyed working there. Management is poor and needs to take a look from the ones who are actually working perspective.
A lot of jobs opportunities
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 18, 2018
Our unit are busy but its a good place to work, we have a good team works. Good manager and nurses that have a big heart for our patients. What I learned in this job or place, when your heart is right you will do a right thing.
Horrible
Nutritional Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 10, 2018
Very unorganized with scheduling, show favoritism, and life draining. Management is terrible. You barely can have a weekend off, loads of work, and some of the employees are very rude and selfish. The job can be very stressful at times.
Pros
Closing
Cons
Poor management
Management, Pay, Conditions, etc
Laundry Associate (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 9, 2018
I have been with this company for 11 years. I have found that in the area that I work in is terrible due the lack of proper ventilation in the plant. The temperature in the area where I work various from very cold to very hot depending on the season that it currently is. The noise level can be very loud due to the various machines that have to be kept running and also the fact the the chemicals can get on you if you mess with wet laundry. I had an incident where my hands were messed up and cracked. The biggest problem is the lift that is used to do a particular job. It does not always work and the maintenance that is done is horrible. The ones that are responsible for doing it do a terrible job, They just patch things up and expect it to work. We have had some pretty bad incidences where the lift to hang linen slings has failed to do right. We have constantly complained and nothing gets done. As far as pay goes, you rarely get a raise. Management does not want to help the pay that you would like. I would hope that a person applying for a position at this company would really consider these factors before applying. You seldom get a free lunch,
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Morose place to work.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALApril 1, 2018
The mood of the entire facility is bleak. Not even the patients want to come here but they have no choice. The emergency room is a walk in clinic basically. You can come in and say I want this and the doctors will say okay whatever you want because it’s “all about patient satisfaction”. The employees are all extremely disgruntled because heaps of work are constantly put on them and they want to pay you peanuts and have you smile while accepting them. Back in the day this hospital used to care about it’s employees and patients and that’s far from the truth now. It’s really sad this facility goes out of its way to run off good hard working employees.
Pros
Cons
Pay, work environment, management not ever sticking up for their department. There is just way too many to list.
Poor wages, over worked, short staffed, too many cheifs.
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  AlabamaMarch 21, 2018
Horrible pay. Horrible management. Horrible working conditions. Horrible hours. Inflexible. Will find a way to fire nurses and report to State Board if they buck management. Intimidation, Coercion, and Bully management style. NO RAISES to Nursing staff while management pockets bonus money. Unsafe nurse-patient ratios. Majority of nurses are new grads or travelers.
Pros
Enjoyed working with most coworkers.
Cons
Poor wages. Unsafe ratios.
Working at Dch you have many opportunities and to meet new people
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 4, 2018
I learned it is important to make sure the patient has a clean room and bathroom .The most enjoyable part of my job is when the patient and guest say i did a great job
Terrible Management
Dialysis Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 3, 2018
Pay is okay but DCH nurse management is terrible!!!! I would not recommend this company to anyone. There are far better places to work that pay as much or more with much better management
decent job
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 25, 2018
its a good job if you like to meet new people. its also a good job if you don't mind cleaning up blood everyday. i would recommend overnight if your a college student. it will interfere with your school schedule because you will be tired
Fun I really love my job if I had the opportunity I will go back
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 20, 2018
I learned a lot from dch health system . great housekeeping .working at a stready past.i meet great friend s.my working skills inprove as I work there.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Short break
DCH operates like we are still in the 1990’s
Manager (Current Employee) –  RegionalJanuary 16, 2018
Systems are antiquated, Nurses aren’t appreciated. EVERYONE is micromanaged, high turnover and low retention without any action plans for correction. Staff fell they do not have a say in anything.
Pros
Small hospital, parking
Cons
Short breaks for everyone, very cliquish, little opportunity for advancement
fast paced work environment
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Northport, ALJanuary 4, 2018
provides great experience for individuals that want to continue education in the healthcare field.

A typical 12 hour shift, as a PCA/US, is very fast paced. Must be able to communicate effectively with RNs and doctors.

The PCA position offers excellent benefits; however, it's minimal pay for the amount of work your expected to do. I was told by management to expect a pay raise after my first 6 months, with a nearly perfect evaluation on my performance. I've been at DCH for over a year and have not yet received a raise.
Pros
benefits, experience in healthcare
Cons
12 hour shifts with only 30 minute breaks, pay doesn't compensate the pay
stressful and low pay
Sitter/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  United StatesOctober 9, 2017
My job experience at DCH was stressful. Working 12 hours doing your job plus the PCA job and not getting paid for it . Sometimes I didnt even get a lunch break and they didnt care if you didnt get one. The supervising was poor , i went to her with problems multiple of times and nothing was done .I wouldnt advise no one to work as a patient attendant at DCH.
Overall good place to work
NNP (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALSeptember 21, 2017
The NNP's are not compensated for working extra shifts. The pay scale has not been increased in a while for market adjustments, yet the nurses received increase. That is disappointing. Over all a good place to work.
Pros
close to home
Cons
noncompetitive pay