Dealer Specialties Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Company Only for Short Term
Employee (Current Employee) –  MonroeJuly 31, 2018
This company is no longer a good option for a long term career. The holding company has sold off all of their other assets and is just getting this company ready to be sold also. They are not giving out raises to individuals in the field and have increased the overall workload for everyone.

Many of the long term employees have left and this has caused them to promote individuals into positions they are not qualified for.
Pros
Most of the good things at this company no longer exist.
Cons
The new management does not care about the current employees.
Onboarding Department (Customer Service Specialist)
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Monroe, OHMay 7, 2018
1. Typical day at work was busy
2. I learned a lot about Automotive and Dealerships
3. My manager was very bias & prejudice
4. The workplace culture in the Onboarding Department ( Customer Service Specialist) was a horrible department to work in
5. Putting up with a very "strong personality" another Employee on my team
6. I enjoyed working with the other employees in the different departments
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor management
May 23, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are always looking for ways to improve, specifically when it comes to taking care of our employees. Our goal is to provide a work environment for employees to thrive both personally and professionally. We wish you the very best in your future endeavors.

Incentive work/no room to advance
Photographer (Former Employee) –  OhioApril 11, 2018
There was no room to advance and no pay raises the company is not organized and does not understand the problems with the company cause they refuse to come out and help with or experience them to fix them
Pros
Good vacation pay
Cons
Lack of communication
May 23, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are always looking for ways to improve, specifically when it comes to taking care of our employees. Our goal is to provide a work environment for employees to thrive both personally and professionally. With 300 plus employees in the field, communication is very important, we will do our very best to improve. We wish you the very best in your future endeavors.

It was an interesting job but pay sucked
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 9, 2018
Being an account rep with dealer specialties was an interesting job, it was fun and I had a good route during my training and they start you out hourly(12.50/hr. then when they think your ready they put you on commission based pay). I had good relationships with my dealers and things were running smooth and was told this was my set route until a other rep quit unexpectedly which totally screwed me because I was just switched to commission that week and they(management) took my route and gave me a new one soooo I had to learn the ropes again while on commission so I wasn't making any money which put a lot of stress on me and I tried talking to management but they needed me to stick to the route, I worked another couple weeks but was making nothing while other reps were raking it in and that did it in for me. Its not a bad place the job itself is fun but stressful at times especially if there's bad weather there's no work= no money to be made. I feel like if they set you up with a good route and dealerships you could make good money that just wasn't the case with me seeings how about 3 hours of my day was just driving to the dealerships which didn't leave much time to make money. I just had a bad experience with the place.
Pros
The freedom to work unsupervised, mileage reimbursement, working outdoors, photography aspect
Cons
Commission, communication
May 23, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are always looking for ways to improve, specifically when it comes to taking care of our employees. Our goal is to provide a work environment for employees to thrive both personally and professionally. We will work with our field management to better communicate and to ensure successful employees are not negatively impacted when re-deployment is necessary. Best of luck with your future endeavors.

Rewarding job for the right kind of person.
Market Manager (Current Employee) –  USAFebruary 26, 2018
I started with this company as an Account Rep and was promoted in less than 12 months. I liked the account rep role because I got paid for the work I put in. If I worked harder, I got paid more. The commission structure took some getting used to, but I found the compensation to be fair for the amount of work I did. Achieving the pace you have to maintain to make decent money takes a little time to build up to, but if you are at least a little tech savvy and understand (or can learn) a little about photography, it's not difficult at all.

I would say that there is a decent opportunity for advancement as most of the managers I know started with the company as an account rep as well. You may need to be open to relocation, but the opportunities are definitely there.

I've had absolutely awful experiences with management at previous jobs, but never have I felt that way at Dealer Specialties. Not once have I felt disrespected or that my thoughts and ideas didn't matter.

The most difficult thing about working for the company is dealing with things that are out of my control, such as the weather and the fact that not everyone you meet in the auto industry is easy to get along with. You have to be prepared to deal with some unreasonable expectations (from dealers), but that can be said of any sales or customer service role.

I love that I can work independently and be trusted to get the job done without being micromanaged.

Whether you are looking for a job or a career, it's a good company to work for.
Pros
Fast paced with little downtime
March 9, 2018

Thank you for your review and sharing your story. There's nothing we enjoy more than promoting from within and watching teammates succeed at the next level! I too started off as an account rep, I loved the fact as a rep I single handedly controlled my own income! Keep up the good work!

Amazing experience
Photographer and Technician (Former Employee) –  Glen Arm, MDFebruary 15, 2018
Outstanding experience all around. Great company, fun people to work with and interact/compete. Always something different and plenty to learn from. Could be greatly innovative in the near future.
Pros
Too many to count
Cons
Auto and driving knowledge required
February 26, 2018

Thank you for your feedback, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time working at Dealer Specialties. Best of luck to you.

Great place to work!
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 9, 2018
If you are looking for a job where you control how much you make, it's a great place to work. The account rep role offers a great work life balance, if you're willing to put the work in.
Pros
Control how much you earn
Cons
changing weather conditions
February 26, 2018

WOW!!! Thank you for your feedback! Let us know if you ever need anything.

Low commission. No communication.
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 1, 2018
Spend most of the day driving from dealership to dealership. Take care of problems on the phone everyday any issue that comes up will require you to do unpaid labor. Lots of meetings usually several hour drive to a meeting which is all unpaid. If you do not meet revenue goals as a company every is forced to work 6/7 day weeks. Management doesn't make any effort to communicate with anyone under them. If there is any sort of issue you have you must work it out yourself because management will never get back to you. Submitting any leads to try to split commission on isn't really possible managers seem to have these leads vanish resulting in no pay.
Pros
Flexibility, work alone, no work in poor conditions (unpaid)
Cons
Poor communication, low commissions, lots of unpaid mandatory labor, 6/7 day work weeks if you dont hit budget
February 9, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to finding ways to make Dealer Specialties a great place to work, your feedback will help. We wish you luck in your career.

Not a ideal position
Customer Service/ IT (Former Employee) –  Monroe, OHJanuary 24, 2018
Everything about the place just not worth it. Hours/shift, pay, advancement. Management is not bad just not much change including your pay check. Benefits were ok, pretty flexibale on schedule if need be.
February 26, 2018

We appreciate your honest feedback, we are always looking for ways to improve. We wish you the best of luck in your future.

Don’t work there
Rusty Wallace (Current Employee) –  Morristown, TNNovember 28, 2017
Don’t work there they have no respect for any workers but only for the management. They are not good to the customers also way to much for the prices
Pros
None really
Cons
Bad management
February 9, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to making Dominion Dealer Specialties a great place to work, your feedback will help us. We value both our team and customers and do our best to meet their expectations. Best of luck to you.

Good for a part time job
INVENTORY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 21, 2017
Dealer Specialties was cool but the pay was not all that great. It is all based on commission. If you are given enough work it can be worth the pay, but some dealerships you can make under $2 per car. NOT worth it at all if its 100 degrees outside and you have to build profiles for a 100 cars just to have a good day.
Pros
work on your own time
Cons
Douchebag General Managers at car dealerships
February 9, 2018

We're disappointed to hear you didn't find the opportunity rewarding. Our pay plan is commissioned based, we find this is the best way to compensate our team for working hard. This plan allows our team to directly impact how much he or she earns. We pay hourly during the training period, which last until our team members are confident they are ready to succeed! We wish we could do something about the heat in Texas, we are open to any ideas! Best of luck to you, and thank you for the feedback.

It's a good job for a college student
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 6, 2017
The hours are flexible but the company hours are from 9am-8pm est. If you gotta an issue then you better call in the morning because the afternoon staff is super slow and not very helpful. NO ladder to climb, manager is pretty much set.
Pros
Work on your own time!
Cons
The DS call center!
Productive and Fun Workplace
Data Entry of Vehicle information (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 19, 2017
Non stop working, on your feet all day winder spring summer fall taking photos of vehicles inside and out.
working with a group and team of people at different car dealerships.
Pros
Good work scheduled
Cons
Working in bad weather
February 9, 2018

Thank you for your 5 star rating. We are still searching for a way to have 75 degree weather year round, we are open to suggestions! :) The data entry position does offers a great work schedule with flexibility when needed. We wish you the best of luck in your career.

Dont work here.
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  FLApril 4, 2017
Dealer Specialties is the worst company I have ever worked for. Its extremely low pay with no room for advancement. My management team was extremely unprofessional. The job itself is a joke. You take pictures of cars all day and are paid by the car. You also do ALOT of driving. The people you interact with at the car dealerships can be unreasonable. If you are lucky enough to get a company car it will most likely be very high mileage. You are expected to work 6 days a week sometimes. There is very high turnover. Do yourself a favor and stay away!
Pros
None.
February 9, 2018

We are disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your time with Dealer Specialties. We are always working to improve and your feedback will help. There is unfortunately some driving from dealer to dealer, that's why we provide either a company vehicle or mileage reimbursement. On behalf of the 300 plus Account Reps here at Dealer Specialties thank you for you feedback. We wish you the very best in your career.

Job for single person or no ties to family
Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAMarch 21, 2017
All i can say it was a cash cow job, for the california market. Upper management or higher up dont respect workers or considerate. Veteran employees or field reps some are cool and nice others douche bags complain get no stipend or incentive for training new hires. Dealerships can be friendly or not, still scumbags work there. No interpersonal relations with people. Alot of heat or criticism for your photo work. Meetings a joke.
Pros
Freedom to work
Cons
Harsh criticism, dealerships suck, fellow employees veterans terrotorial or can be nice
February 9, 2018

Your feedback will help us become a better organization. We're sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time here or working in the auto industry. Just like in any industry you will from time to time run into demanding customers. However, the vast majority of our customers love the work we do and know we are vital to their success. Based on similar feedback we have instituted a training rep incentive plan, the early response has been very good. Along with aforementioned incentive plan we've increased the amount and length of training for our new hires! We wish you the very best!

Self pace
Regional Marketing Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCFebruary 20, 2017
Work at your own pace. Be aware of the dealership personnel as you visit. Must stay organized. Freedom is the biggest bonus.
Pros
Great money
Cons
Subject to rapid change
Management wants you to succeed.
Columbus, Ohio Photo/Data Collection Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 10, 2017
Never before have I had a job where everyone helps each other so much. Even though typically you work by yourself all you had to do was reach out to a co worker or manager and whatever help you needed was on its way. The company really cares about their employees from the perks packages to the tuition assistance even if it didn't pertain to your current job title. There's something to be said about a company who will financially back you to get a degree not pertaining to your current employment with them.
February 9, 2018

Thank you for your review and your kind words. We wish you much success in your career.

Much freedom, management out of touch
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Neches, TXAugust 30, 2016
Typically spend 90% of my day outside on a dealership lot so I got used to working in heat and cold. I learned how to properly manage inventory and marking strategies.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Pay is not great, hard to move up in company
Nightmare Company - Save Yourself The Headache
Market Manager (Former Employee) –  United States of AmericaMay 31, 2016
Upper management is completely out of touch with what is going on within the company. The pay structure for the field reps and market managers worked 20 years ago when there was no competition and Dealer Specialties was the only game in town. When I had to take a leave of absence due to a family medical issue, my boss called me everyday and pressured me to come back to work. I never took a vacation in which I did not work or field calls approximately 2-3 days out of my 5 vacation days. This was mainly due to the fact that upper management had absolutely no idea how to do my job. I was FORCED to fire reps for issues with accounts that were by no means the rep's fault. I was not allowed to give raises to field reps that unequivocally deserved it. If we had enough vehicles, they were clearly unsafe and on average had 150,000 miles on them and constantly broke down. Upper management is unwilling to apply any forward thinking towards increasing the morale of its employees and/or to do what is necessary to at least match what the competition is doing in regards to service. Dealer Specialties will continue to hemorrhage accounts because of this which in turn ultimately hurts the people out in the field who are supposedly the "foundation of the company". If you decide to work for Dominion Dealer Specialties after reading this, do not bother going to Dominion HR with any grievances or any concerns of illegal practices that occur to you during your tenure. You will always be treated and regarded as a peon no matter how hard you work, no matter how many hours you put in, no matter how  more... infrequently you see your family due to long hours, no matter how much pride you take in the job, and no matter how much you dedicate yourself to the company.  less
Pros
I don't have to work 65+ hours a week while getting paid poorly for 40.
Cons
Company is being trounced by the competition due to leadership's ineptitude, hard work is unappreciated.
Dealer Specialties provides auto dealers nationwide with a comprehensive suite of inventory Management solutions, websites, Internet marketing tools a
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Monroe, OHNovember 18, 2015
• Involved in Analysis, Design and Implementation.
• Experience converting website into MVC - Model View Controller framework