Dean Transportation Employee Reviews

I love the kids
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 8, 2018
Special needs kids require a special person to deal with them. This job has given me the chance to mother lots of kids and I love it. No two days are the same. I have fun and enjoy going to work everyday. The kids actually miss me if I am not there. A wonderful place to work.
Great company to work for
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 3, 2018
Very rewarding job, sometimes challenging also. You have to love kids and have patience.If you can do that then the company will pay for you to get your commercial license and the pay and benefits are really good. Everyone here is like family and it's a fun place to work.
I have made many new friends here and have started a new career path because they were willing to teach me this job. The owner is a great man. He treats everyone like family and is very giving and caring for everyone that works for him. The pay is not bad and I can get in full time hours some weeks. The only downfall is not working in the summer. Some people do but I don't. Hoping for year round school in the next few years so I don't have to work a summer job anymore. There is plenty of opportunity here. I'd recommend it.
Pros
benefits, good atmosphere, rewarding job, on the job training
Cons
no work in summer
Awesome company to start and grow
Driver (Current Employee) –  Cedar Springs, MIMarch 30, 2018
In my short time with Dean Transportation, I have been welcomed in by everyone. My garage is very welcoming and willing to help with any questions I have. Dean Transportation offers on the job training for chauffeurs to obtain their cdl. Overall my experience has been top notch with this Michigan grown company
Pros
Consistant shifts, benefits, on job training, grwat work/life balance
Cons
Some accounts require off season jobs (school bus drivers)
Headache
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 14, 2018
Been here for a while and its doesn't feel like family here...they have their favorites and management don't have it together at all...they dont offer pay holidays you have to save ur sick time to use for vacation...and you don't get snow days which you really feel it in ur check...
Pros
The kids
Cons
Other people talking about you...alot of brown nose.
great envirorment
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Sparta, MIMarch 12, 2018
The bus route I have is full of great families, it makes the job of transporting students very gratifying. One of the biggest challenges is the slippery roads in the winter. Party days are exciting days because the students come to ride home all hyped up on sugar from the candy.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
difficult roads in winter
Bad work environment
attendant and driver (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 27, 2018
Company and school are to secretive; and unsupportive of the employees. you are limited in the defense of yourself your driver and or your attendant... The company will not back you up when you are attacked or coerced spit on hit assaulted beaten
Pros
Cons
management tactics, subversive style
Fun place
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 16, 2018
Nice place to work. Owner is super nice. He is a very giving man. They are willing to give you paid training upon offer of employment. If you like kids this is a good place to be.
Co-workers were nice and helpful.
Bus Attendant (Former Employee) –  Marysville, MIDecember 30, 2017
If you have 3 runs a day, you are using a lot of gas going back and forth from work to home. You can stay at the bus garage in between runs, nothing to do, but sleep. Its freezing on the buses in the winter. Cannot live on a 20 hour paycheck. The kids were fun. Very Disorganized place to work.
Pros
Free lunch when you had training
Cons
Too disorganized
family oriented fun work enviroment
Bus Attendant (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIDecember 20, 2017
working for dean was like being with family. we all had each others backs through the good and the bad even when it came to our personal lives. a lot of great memories were made there.
Not the greatest place to work but not the worst
Class B Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 18, 2017
Older Employees always complain and gossip about each other, Split shift is ok but you really have to be a favorite or live in dispatch's office to get a Non Route (where you make your money), Other than that the women in the office are great and they always do right by you.
Pros
Split Shift
Cons
Non Routes or lack there of
Helping those that need.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 29, 2017
Dean Transportation Transit Division provides safe and prompt pickup and drop off services for people with temporary and permanent special needs.

Have to help folks on and off the vehicle to safely get them to school, grocery store, doctors office, mall, and homes.

Need to be knowledgeable of the area to be able to safely and quickly get around hazards.
Not enough hours
Special education busdriver (Current Employee) –  Marysville, MINovember 20, 2017
I love the kids and co workers just not enough hours and off in the summer also benefits are expensive for myself and family can not afford them. Hours are fine just the breaks that you get it makes for a long day all together
Pros
Kids
Cons
Not enough hours
Not good
Bus Attendant/Aide (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 17, 2017
Management is a joke! They have there favorites and that's it they go through employee's like hotcakes. Don't plan on working during the summer only a few do.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Management, and favorites among employee's and management.
Not very productive, poorly managed
Special Needs Bus Aide (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MISeptember 2, 2017
They are very disorganized and a sort of non modern work place. You have to fill out your own timecards which I have no problem with, but the management is very disorganized. Never a printed schedule, and you work at the most 4 hours every day, which adds up to almost nothing at all. Very disappointing, disoriented, disorganized work place.
Pros
Good benefits, 11.50/hr pay
Cons
no hours, poor management, disorganized, drama
awesome place to work
Bus Driver/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Addison, MISeptember 1, 2017
Management and the owner make sure you have the back up you need what ever it is.The management staff is the best and most carring I've ever worked for.
Rogue management
Truck Bus driver CDL B P S AIR BRAKES (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 8, 2017
Hey used to be about the kids now it's all about the money for them they have a two tiered contract which they asked the older employees to approve of well over the years there's not many Tier 1 people in the union and that's what they want lower pay for tier 2 to get rid of the tier ones because I much more expensive employee morale is at its lowest people are leaving left and right and they can't get good people to employ
Pros
Does satisfaction and accomplishment you get with working with special needs children
Cons
Management is not in tune with the employees
Helping the community of disabled.
Office (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 21, 2017
The longer you work there the less respect you get. Management thinks you should be thankful to have a job. Keep away from office and co-workers and you will appreciate the job better.
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
No respect, lousy hours, expensive insurance plan
Fun place to work
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 15, 2017
I like working for Dean. because you get to help people have disability. I like help all people, people that I work with at Dean was very nice and if you need help they would
Pros
Down time
Cons
you had to keep van clean checking oil.
There is good and bad at every job.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Marysville, MIMay 2, 2017
Management at the office plays favorite. NOTHING IS CONFIDENTIAL! Boss does not have your back. Compensation is better for new hirees . They need to take care of the people who have stayed with the company . the best part is the students. Candy Land it isn't........
Pros
Kids- fund raisers.
Cons
Low pay for people that have been there.
worst place ever
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 30, 2017
management could care less about the drivers. they offer horrible health insurance at high costs. students are noisy on the bus and rude,unsafe bus ride

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dean Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.