Dearborn National Life Insurance Company

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Management stuck in their old ways

The management brought me on to help innovate and have a new set of eyes on things. Most of my best ideas were never implemented. Management was hired from outside.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Not a fun or productive workplace

Worst company I have ever worked for. You are just a number, there is no support from management. The pay is terrible, they would rather bring in new employees and pay them double the pay they pay employees that have been with the company for over 10 years. Terrible systems slow and there expectations are unrealistic.

Pros

Cons

You work through your lunch, expected to work nights, weekends, and they micro-manage everything you do.

Fast-paced and challenging workplace but rewarding for the employees

Fast-paced and responsible workplace with requirement for several long hours during the week but company offered good compensation and employee benefits, which made the experience challenging but very rewarding. Management was knowledgeable and recognized performance..

Pros

Challenging workload - Well compensated - Good benefits

Cons

Fast-paced, although can be overwhelming at times, was controllable

Awesome Team

I have an excellent team that I work with on a daily basis, that are willing to work together to reach production objectives. Although each team member has assigned roles, it still takes a well-oiled team to get the job done, quickly, accurately and successfully.

Pros

Flexibility to make decisions; flexible work schedule

Cons

Being in a satellite office can make you feel that you are disconnected from Home Office

Professional Office Environment

Great coworkers and management. Tools to do your job. I was a contractor, so the compensation was way too low for the job duties. coworkers were nice and willing to help out. I had a wonderful supervisor and manager.

Pros

Opportunities to work from home.

Cons

too many systems with way too many passwords

Leave a review. Help people like you.

customer service

Whereas the company a decent place to work there are many area need work. The customer service/center needs an overhaul. coworkers are nice and very helpful. Management needs work.

A nice work environment

A nice place to work. Company fostered a culture of integrity, treating co-workers with respect and putting the customer's needs first. Promoted service.

Pros

Good working conditions.

Cons

Not alot of opportunity for advancement

Good employees but upper management was not good.

Dearborn National is a great company overall. The work was busy and challenging. The standards were a bit too high and it was impossible to consistently meet their numbers. Also there is a lack of opportunity to move up. Management was so poor that it resulted in having to close their Texas office completely

Pros

Lots of work that is challenging

Cons

No management support or realistic work standards.

Productive work environment, room for growth

Dearborn is a great place to work. There is room for growth and staff are so supportive. On a regular day, we examine and adjudicate customer claims. Management is also very supportive.

A Day in Life Insurance Office

Pretty typical day, come in work and go home. It's stressful to work Dearborn National because you do what you need to do and sometimes you go above and beyond but still no reorganization, management does not know to work or do what we do, we have to teach them and turn around and tell us the same thing we told them. They want ideas on how to make the process easier and quicker and when we do give ideas they do take it, in the end they do what they want to do even though it does not work. There's too much politics here. I would not recommend anyone coming working here.

A great team to work with

It was a great job that fitted my needs. I had flexibility and the supervisors were great. We were able to work from home. We had an employee engagement team who would do events every few weeks. We were allowed to wear jeans all week.

Pros

Flexibility, PTO time, benefits, work from home

Cons

Like any office, it's just like high school at times

Na

I only worked here as a temp. I do nt have enough information to give good advise to work or not work for this company. This company moved out of state.

A great place to work

I was working in the claims department for 14 years and really enjoy it. I lost my job due to relocation.

Pros

Always something new to learn, very good benefits

Cons

unstable due to bad management to close the Cleveland division

Great company to work for

I loved working at Dearborn until they had to RIF people. It was a good environment and great people to work with and for. I enjoyed having a gym and a walking path around the building.

Pros

Gym, cafeteria, walking path

Dearborn National supports its employees and provides the best apportunities out there.

Dearborn National Life Insurance Company has a very versatile work environment and it provides all the possibilities to grow and become as best of an employee as possible. Management is very supportive and available for consultation at any given time. The company values its employees and makes sure everyone is heard and advised to. It has a clear vision which very well transmitted onto each employee's every day duties.

Pros

the company provides good benefits.

Cons

scheduling personal time off sometimes can be a challange.

Grou Underwriting

• Performed daily risk analysis on group life, short term disability, long term disability and dental case data to determine competitive rates while leading to an increase in revenue.• Prepared legal proposals to include rates and plan designs for groups underwritten for Basic Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability and Voluntary Life Insurance.• Determined required group coverage based on state mandated laws, funding methods and contractual language.• Developed and maintained rates based on proposed benefit plan, industry type, geographical location, group claims experience and brokers commission structure.• Prepared accounting, statistical reporting and other pertinent financial statements to prove profitability for the company and cost savings to the client.• Developed and maintained relationships with sales representatives and marketing coordinators.

Fun and productive work place

A challenging place to work with fun and friendly people. You can grow with this company if you strive in the right direction. Management listens to their employees and suggestions. Teamwork and working together are prevalent throughout the workplace.

Pros

great insurance benefits and a fun place to work

Our Sales Office is quite interesting

My typical day begins quite early when it's quiet and I can get to a lot of pressing things done & out the door. We have a hard working sales office, we are teamed with Sales Reps who are in the field working hard to meet their goals. My goal is to make sure my Sales Rep doesn't have to worry about anything internally and they can focus on selling.We have great team outings, such as dinners and annual Phillies Games, picnics, just to name a few.It's a joy to work with people who CARE.

Very prestigious company. Professional environment.

A prestigious place to work. My favorite of all my previous employers, with excellent managerial staff. A department where I was able to utilize my interpersonal and professional skills.

Pros

educational, fast paced.

job have been transferred to another company and will be unemployed

A typical day is never the same. We have different types of claims processed short term and long term disability claims and occasional life claims as required. management and co-workers were good. The most enjoyable part of the job is help people when they have a life changing and devastating event in their lives. Enjoy providing great customer service skills and learning new skills to allow for job opportunity growth.

Pros

flexible schedules

Cons

overtime constantly, some lack of training as a new employee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dearborn National Life Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Dearborn National Life Insurance Company