DECA Inc. Employee Reviews

Grant Writer (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAOctober 31, 2018
DECA is a tough place to work if you weren't a student in high school. The staff is very stuck in the way they have always done things. Always drama around board meetings but no real impact from decisions made. Majority of management have never had training and most don't have the experience to be in the positions they are in. Staff is motivated by their personal agendas instead of the organizations strategic vision. Couldn't accomplish my work or complete enough grants due to other departments not willing to work with me because of who my supervisor was. Many members of staff never come to work and there are no consequences. It is hard to accomplish your job when senior leadership is out 6-8 weeks at a time sick or just unavailable.

Benefits are awful- you start with only 10 vacation days and 5 sick days. You receive a total of 10 holidays. You work on Veterans day; however, you get to observe "DECA's Veterans Day" on black Friday - totally patriotic. Health insurance is not great and has a larger employee premium than other jobs. Long-term disability is provided but not short. Employees must purchase their own short-term disability and dental insurance. No eye coverage is provided.
Pros
History of organization
Cons
Benefits, pay, co-workers, culture
Happiest I've been in a job
Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  Reston, VASeptember 24, 2018
I have worked in many different roles in education / nonprofits. I have never felt as happy to come to work in the morning as I do now working at DECA. I feel that I am trusted and empowered to do my work daily, while also still being challenged and developed in my role. My team is collaborative and makes the workplace fun. We work daily to support over 200,000 students and teachers across the world. It is a purpose-driven workplace, which makes the work that much more meaningful. My manager is truly supportive - pushing our team to be successful while constantly making sure we have everything we need to do our jobs well and continue to be happy at work.
Great place to work with a fun and productive team!
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Reston, VASeptember 14, 2018
Been working at DECA for 2+ years and this role has helped me grow so much as a designer. It has been great to have a supportive manager that is willing to let me learn and take on new challenges. As an organization, DECA has been going through a lot of management changes recently that's slowly been helping improve the overall culture to a more forward thinking and collaborative workplace.
Pros
Health benefits, paid vacation/holidays, flexibility
Cons
Can get stressful around times of conferences
Benefical
Club Member (Former Employee) –  Prince George, VAApril 24, 2018
DECA is a school club that i attended when i was younger, it helped me learn more about buisness and marketing as i grew older. The club was very welcoming.
Pros
experience
Cons
only a club
Great mission - toxic culture
Assistant Director, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAApril 7, 2018
DECA has an incredible mission and you are able to see the impact you are making on the lives of members frequently; however, due to toxic management, talent is ran out quickly and the culture is horrible. There is a relaxed vibe to the office in terms of dress but also in terms of drive and work productivity. Many directors do not show up to work, and those that do often do not work while they are there. The remaining directors are really more like lower level supervisors.
Pros
Relaxed dress, flexible hours for some employees
Cons
Micromanagement, toxic culture, low compensation
Challenging yet rewarding
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 19, 2018
It takes work to be involved in a nonprofit, but for DECA it is worth the work seeing all of the students and teachers we get to help. Most of the directors are great. Not a perfect environment, but the benefits are good and working at conferences is awesome if you get a position that comes with travel.
Very stressful, unethical, disrespectful, no manners and slave driver.
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAOctober 17, 2017
The company itself has a friendly environment except Finance Dept. supervisor very stressful to work with. Shouts to subordinate and fault finder. The worst supervisor I ever had. Always changing instructions and blames the assistant for all mistakes.
Pros
Holidays paid
Cons
30 mins lunch, no health ins benefits, no annual/sick leave benefits for part time temporary

Want to know more about DECA Inc.?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DECA Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

DECA Inc. Reviews by Location