Decker Truck Line, Inc Employee Reviews

Good refrigerated trucking company
DRIVING TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Ft. Dodge, IAJanuary 10, 2019
I liked working for Decker. home time was always an issue, I couldn't get home on time. I spent to many hours waiting for loads,(24+)hours. The shops were good and the termina;ls clean.with showers and washing machines and dryers. Many long nights. 12-14 hours
Pros
Terminals were nice, management was helpful and friendly
Cons
Waiting for loads
Good workplace
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IADecember 29, 2018
I enjoyed working for Decker. I just could take being away from home all the time. Decker truck lines is a good place to work. If you want a good trucking company that will treat you like family then Decker truck line is the right fit for you.
hard to be positive
mechanic (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IADecember 19, 2018
i worked there along time, in that time I saw 30 some odd techs come and go. I saw several managers come and go drivers were like a revolving door I never understood that. Training was obsolete to anyone that didn't live in ft. dodge there was no advancement benfits were horrible at almost 200/wk for family insurance. Hours were long you killed yourself trying to keep the equipment on the road and got virtually nothing out of the deal. I did work with some great people over the years I put in there that's about the only positive thing I can say at this point. My only regret is that I didn't leave sooner than what I did if your a mechanic keep on looking as far as the driving perhaps they have gotten better on that end but my department wasn't driving so I cannot say much about that.
Pros
worked with some great people directly
Cons
too many to mention
ups and downs
Regional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Ft. Dodge, IADecember 10, 2018
pay was excellent.. sometimes had to sit for loads but no more than a few hrs. had weekly hometime as a regional driver. equipment was in excellent condition
If you manage an outside terminal you will be forgotten on an island.
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IADecember 5, 2018
Don’t waste your time. Managing an outlying terminal is like being on a remote island. You have to fight and plead to get simple tools needed for the job. Is even difficult to get a consistent heat source for the shop. The company will do everything they can to take care of their drivers, but will fault you quickly if you are a member of maintenance. I’ve watched drivers get away with everything including theft, assault on follow employees and still be employed with the company. There is no raise structure Or bonus program for any other employee other than the drivers. You can put in all the hours you want and try to do the best you can for them and it will just come back and bite you in the end. Again don’t waste your time it won’t matter to any of them anyways.
Pros
Meet and worked with a lot of interesting and great people
Cons
Too many to mention
December 12, 2018

This review was left by an ex-employee of Decker Truck Line, Inc. who was fired for theft.

Best if you worked here for the paycheck, don't work here for much more than that.
Parts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IANovember 5, 2018
(These opinions are strictly to do with the parts department, other departments appeared to have better management.)

*I do not recommend working in the parts department at Decker because the Company Parts Manager has no idea how to treat people with respect or manage a fleets parts inventory system.

*You will have no voice, anything you have to say will be ignored.

*You will be constantly be reminded that you will be held accountable for things that you have no power to fix. It's like a ship with a hole, you aren't allowed to fix the hole, but you are expected to keep the ship from sinking.
Pros
Decent pay, Mon-Friday with weekends off, Great co-workers
Cons
Very poor inventory management system, terrible company parts manager
Lease purchase scam
Owner operator Transportation (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAOctober 31, 2018
Don't go lease purchase they will give you great miles at first then cut them. I have done lease purchase before and never had the amount of problems that I did with Deckers. in the contract it states you can refuse any load, do that and the will black list you.
good company overall
Flatbed Tarper (Former Employee) –  Mediapolis, IAOctober 9, 2018
Lack of respect from supervisor was tough to handle at times but coworkers were good people and the work load was achievable with reasonable effort.
Frozen tarps and straps in the winter were my least favorite part of the job.
Favorite part? Lunch.
Pros
good workout, good benefits
Cons
equipment failure and upkeep
trucking
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAMay 11, 2018
trucking is a good job long days of driving loading and unloading product from state to state locking loads down a lot of trapping and making sure the load is centered
Pros
good money
Cons
bad home time
On site manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COMarch 31, 2018
Was great while it lasted and had a great team to work with. The only downfall was the contract was rebid twice before it was lost. So had to find another job because my only option would be to go out and drive over the road.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Job security
Typical trucking company
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IAMarch 3, 2018
Start off with recruiting. She was a honest recruiter, as for the pay and benefits. I was told I would be a dedicated runner for a local packing house in Sioux City to Chicago. I was told that I would be getting 3000+ miles a week. Orientation was fun. Very informative. Compared to other orientations that I have attended. Orientation instructors were very well educated on company ins and outs. They wait till the driving test to tell you that there is a rear facing camera in the trucks. then proceed to tell you that they only record about 2 minutes in a 24 hour period. Either that is false, or i was just lucky enough that my "2 minutes" were recorded as i was leaving a lot in Chicago to go to the dock. I got a "talking to" as i didn't wear my seat belt to go across the the street. As for miles, I get 2 loads per week. Therefore getting around 2000 miles per week. So my supposedly 1400/wk paycheck turned into 880/week. Not complaining about that. It is still good money. I have great home time. The only "complaint" i have about the company is the camera. Not used to it i guess. Overall, its a good company to work for.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Home time(for dedicated route)
Cons
That Darn Camera
my fleet manager is top shelf but I spend far too long away from home
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IANovember 3, 2017
Good fleet managers are not common. Great ones are rare. I am blessed with a great one. I have a Great run and the pay is decent, I just would like to have a local job so I can be home more
Pros
Good miles and fair pay
Cons
the job keeps me from home too much for my taste
Not cordinated
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IASeptember 1, 2017
Road planning personal were not cordinated, spent lots of time sitting around waiting for deliveries and new loads, lots of times routes were not planed very well
Did not like working their
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Missoula,MtAugust 21, 2017
U get paid less then what u put in the company.It's was all for the company and if u have a proplem well u have to waite for your time to talk to some one. I will never go back to that place for a job.
Couldn't get the miles to make money
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAAugust 16, 2017
Great benefits and good to work for if your a solo driver. Just couldn't get miles as a team to make any money. There were solo drivers getting more miles than we were as a team.
Pros
benifits
Cons
no miles for teams
A very good company to work for, solid company with no real downtime between loads.
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAJuly 29, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed my time with them, was kept busy with the contracts they have. Highly recommend this company to anyone who wants more hometime and still make good money. Everyone there was friendly and other drivers did not hesitate to help each other. I had to leave the company do to a medical condition, but would have stayed until retirement otherwise. Great newer equipment, servicing and problems are taken care of at the closest terminal when necessary an expedient manner.
Pros
Home on weekends, Excellent Benefits
Need run drivers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Ft. Dodge, IAJuly 28, 2017
I did a lot of sitting around a lot of live loads and sitting on the weekends 30 to40 hrs every weekends for 3 months so i quit and they took $700 from my check that hurt. I knew they would but I couldn't stay there only getting 2000 or less in miles
Pros
Nice trucks
Cons
Low miles. Not enough drop and hooks
Most people were easy to get along with.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAJuly 11, 2017
I liked working in the security building and checking in the trucks s they came home. Talking to the drivers and welcoming them back safe. In the office most everyone was helpful and patient about answering my questions.
if you dont know everything under the sun about a semi dont apply
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 18, 2017
most of your time will be spent doing oil changes dont expect a raise or ask for one because you wont get it this place is full of drama and full of a bunch of kids who like to run their mouths the work environment sucks unless your alone other then that not the worst place i have worked but not the best
Pros
quiet
Cons
everything
December 12, 2018

We have a Mechanic pay scale that goes according to experience level and our Mechanics are awarded with pay increases as their knowledge and skills develop.

Poor place to work for
building and Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 5, 2017
Unless you work in upper management, the company has a proven poor track record with employees and an unusually higher than average turnover rate. Corporate treats their employees as assets to be disposed of at their whim. Management by dept heads is abysmal at best and the company adopts a 'never wrong' attitude even when proven wrong. good place to work if you like getting fired.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Poor management
December 12, 2018

Our turnover rate is not higher than average it is actually less than the industry norm. The employee that left this review resigned after almost 8 1/2 years of employment with us he was not fired. 8 1/2 years shows the good tenure our company prides itself with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Decker Truck Line, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.