DecksDirect

Working at DecksDirect: 35 Reviews

United States35 reviews

funthingenvironmentcompanypeopleplaceemployeetime

Great Place to Be

DecksDirect is one of those places where they are willing and able to invest in their employees in terms of job training, industry knowledge and career paths. This is because the industry DecksDirect is apart of succeeds from these factors. DecksDirect is a smaller company that is able to rival big box stores because of the training employees receive. We are able help our customers with their projects and live up to the Helping People Build Better Decks. If you are interested in learning more about a position within the company, there is always someone who is willing and happy to share their knowledge with you. We also have resources that help people explore different interests within our industry. DecksDirect has these because they know that it helps people grow and also helps our customers.

Pros

Product Knowledge sessions, fun people, ability to grow and learn

Nothing stands out about this company unless you like drama!

Horrible experience!! Management favors their favorites. Also very immature and plays people against each other, definitely no support!!! Morale is terrible your spirit will be crushed so don't expect to be promoted or successful. Did not see one person with-in the company get a chance at advancement. Completely over controlling and insane work environment!!!

Pros

Did not see any.

Cons

Insurance is very expensive.

DecksDirect insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Clear sense of purpose

Exciting company in high-growth mode! Write your own path.

Working for a high-growth company is awesome, it's full of new opportunities that come up. It's a great place if you like to work hard, have fun, and collaborate. They appreciate new ideas, and welcome taking risks to try new things (mistakes are ok as long as you learn). It's not easy and it's not for everyone, but the people are awesome and the culture is casual but driven.You get to work alongside deck building pros, product experts, buyers, marketing teams, creatives, logistics, warehouse peeps, and most people are really driven to succeed. The culture is turning over from all the high growth and there are a ton of new people. I like the path this company is on and it's already the largest online retailer of premium deck materials. There's new leaders in the HQ and I'd bet on this company in the future. The people are what makes this company different and better than any other company in the space. Nobody else sells "deck projects" like they do and picks up the phone on 3 rings with a live person who can really help you. The positive customer reviews and phone calls when a project is finished is awesome and there are 1,000's of happy customers with new living spaces every year, week, and day!

Pros

Fast paced, high growth, new opportunities, great people, industry experts, high performers move up, casual office, lots of support if you take the time to meet all the great people!

Cons

Not a place to be lazy, lots of new people, direct feedback, they don't kiss your #ss or wipe it for you, work hard and you'll have fun, don't stress yourself out

Stay away

Place is a mess Sounds good on the outside, but it’s unprofessional, vindictive managers from the owner down.No work life balance, insurance is terrible, it’s like joining a Frat house….Fun for 6 months the move on! They have went through 5 GMs in less than 3 years.Treat people terrible, no due process! Owners goes from happy 1 day to insane the next. Too concerned with drinking alcohol and pushing that environment. Save your time, stay away!!!!!

Pros

Clean warehouse

Cons

Culture, owner, erratic behavior

Company where creativity flourishes in a fun yet fast-paced work environment.

In my time at DecksDirect I have seen a company that shows there is incredible demand in the market for the services provided and helping people build better decks. It is constantly growing and evolving to stay ahead of the curve and provide top notch service. Training programs are becoming laser focused and it shows in the confidence seen as new employees grow with the company.Management is always looking for ways to improve what is already existing as well as find novel ways to approach hurdles that arise. The door is always open to present an idea and see where it leads.Lastly, the work environment can be described as a "work hard, play hard" type culture. Where people are treated like adults and held accountable for managing their own time wisely, while also having the option to partake in orchestrated social events. These events help cultivate teamwork by getting various departments together and just having some good old fashion fun.

Pros

Good Work Culture

Cons

Being seasonal, sometimes those added hours are needed.

Great people to work with

I enjoy my job and I am aloud to go above there expected jobs I work with alot of different people and I help them to do better for the company and for them to achieve goals also the management has let me take personal time for my youngest son that is in hospital the company is a very truly family orientated and can and will help out if they can

Pros

The owner is a great person and shows respect to everyone

Cons

There are not many

Great Culture, Fast Growth

The reasons I came to work here are the same reasons I still work here: I love the culture and I love being in a fast growing company.We have a ton of fun in the office while getting our jobs done. The core values are fantastic, genuine, and drive a lot of decision making. Everyone having the same end goals makes problem solving fun.

Pros

Great Work-Life Balance, Collaborative Culture

Unique & genuine professional work environment

If you are looking for a place to work and have fun, thats DecksDirect. If you are looking for a place where you can grow, learn, and do amazing things, thats DecksDirect.DecksDirect isn't a job where you come to work, sit at a desk, and are paid to use your physical body to do things machines can't. If you have ever heard the term "cogs in a machine", this is not it. It is a place where you can interject your ideas and make a difference. If you have an idea, management will listen. Nothing is holding you back here. If you want to try something new, or take on new responsibility, just ask.A typical day for me involves creating solutions to real challenges. I work with all departments of the company to analyze complex business problems. I use my creativity to problem solve, architect, and implement change.

Pros

Positive attitudes, opportunity for advancement.

Great, fast paced company that is continually growing.

I have been with DecksDirect for may years in several roles. Company and Leadership are constantly growing the goals and expanding the possibilities. Drive and optimism are highly valued. Potential for growth is unlimited

Pros

Fun-loving group of people

Cons

Not a place to just pass the time

Great company, even better people!

Word hard, play hard. Everyone here loves what they do and work hard to get the job done. Great office culture and environment. Employees all get along and have a great time working and having fun together. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Pros

Ping pong, keg, happy hours, BBQs, sarcasm, fun

Rewarding work and hilarious work environment

This company cares about getting the right people, from a culture standpoint, and that is what has helped to build such a great team. The summers are a little insane, but when you have the right people in the right seats, with the right attitude, it's amazing how much we can accomplish. Everything is centered around doing the right thing for the customer, so you never feel pressured to put the company before the customer. That makes working here such an honest thrill. Add to that the environment - nerf guns, food trucks, hilarious banter, and you'll soon realize that this is a place you WANT to show up to every day.

Pros

You can have fun and be yourself.

Cons

Seasonality - summer is fast, winter is slow

Great Job! Great People!

This is not your typical 9-5 job. Some people start early, some start a little later, through the busy months things can be stressful, and loud, but everyone treats each other like they are all family. There are many moving parts and when you first start it can all be overwhelming-especially during the busy season, but everyone wants to see you succeed and help in anyway they can. Everyone works hard every day and has just as much fun. I can guarantee that at many times throughout the day you will be involved with some funny banter or possibly a nerf gun shoot out.

Pros

Everyone is helpful, and friendly

Cons

It can be busy but in a good way

Excellent Culture - Exceptional Management - Fantastic Leadership

DecksDirect is a family owned company that is headquartered in Minnesota. This fulfillment center which is located in Whitestown, IN is an excellent place to work for. Management is always trying to make it a fun place to work at. We have cookouts, games, fowling tournaments, salsa competitions, etc. Leadership from the owner, the managers, down to the leads on the floor are always going out of their way to make you feel welcome and part of a team...or better yet, a family. This place exudes a positive culture, with awesomeness and integrity on every level. It is also phenomenal the growth this company is experiencing, especially in these times. I see a lot of internal candidates being promoted and opportunities for those who want them are abundant. Very happy I found this place!

Pros

Fun and inclusive environment - Open door policy

Cons

Steel toe shoes are required...ugh

Work Hard and Play Hard

Not your typical workplace ... yes, working in a distribution center is the standard, but the culture and familial feel is what keeps you here. Very much enjoy working with the team and getting deck "stuff" out the doors. If you want a more laid back environment where people are willing to work hard, but lend a hand if you need help, this is a great place to work. My experience thus far has exceeded my expectations.

Pros

Culture, birthday celebrations, cookouts, fun events

Fun place to work, growing, wonderful owner

We are growing very fast, lots of changes coming, we are a leader in our market. Lot's of new roles within the company. I am personally excited to see where we are going, how we are going to get there and the future is bright!

Pros

Monthly events, open environment, laid back, growing

Growing Fun Place

Coming from a corporate work environment, this place is different in a good way. It's amazing that staff gets to have fun but continues to provide excellent work production. I think it's awesome how much the company continues to grow and I am happy to be part of it.

Pros

Fun, Relaxed, Independent

Cons

Benefits costly

I love my job!

DD is a rapidly growing company. This isn't a place to work if you want the same day in and day out. Things are constantly changing and that makes the work more interesting. I've learned far more than I ever anticipated.We have fun as a team. I get up every day excited to go to work. This place is incredible if you want a laid-back atmosphere and the opportunity to be challenged regularly.

Pros

Culture, core values, casual dress

Cons

Management struggles at times but has good intentions

Fun place to work

DecksDirect is a great place to work. They care about their employees and the culture. Not only is it a fun place to work but they treat their employees very well. There are lots of opportunities to learn and advance your career. A fast growing company with lots of opportunity.

Pros

Fun atmosphere, company events, growing business

Cons

Summertime can be extremely busy which is good and bad

Fast growing company, fun people, casual dress code, strong company values

DecksDirect starts off with setting down some very impressive company values that are not just posted on a sign but are lived and breathed every day. One value is to always try to do the right thing....that is for customers and for your fellow employees. This always keeps us focused on the importance of our integrity. We're not perfect but we try very hard every day to live by this value. Also, the company is experiencing very significant growth which means that it's an exciting and happening place to work. And finally, the company has been working within a management philosophy that emphasizes communication of goals and alignment by all employees. Communication about what we're doing, why we're here, and how we can individually contribute is made known periodically...and getting better all the time.

Pros

The people are nice, culture is fun, and the company is growing by leaps and bounds.

Cons

Growing fast so processes are changing and improving frequently

Fun workplace with lots of support to succeed

Honestly a really nice place to work. There’s a TON to learn which can be overwhelming at times, but there is an entire team who has your back to support you along the way! They care about you in your professional life but also your personal life, and want you to grow in both. There’s definitely concerns about job security, but as long as you’re trying your best and making improvements you should be just fine. They are very transparent about how you’re doing and ways to improve! A very social workplace for sure! DecksDirect is a place that does an amazing job of doing exactly what they say they do - help people build better decks and do so in the fastest most efficient way possible.

Pros

Great culture, supportive team, ongoing improvements

Cons

Job security

Looks Great on the Outside: Terrible on Inside

Looks like a fun culture but if they think you do not belong for any reason you are replaceable and they will shove your work on another employee until they maybe hire someone else or not. Unprofessional with a high employee turnover and not much regard to supporting employees (no project management system, much for formal reviews, does not seriously take employee concerns like Covid).

Pros

Some people there

Cons

Toxic work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DecksDirect. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Learn about DecksDirect in popular locations

• DecksDirect