DEFENDERS Employee Reviews

positive
Sales (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 15, 2018
I appreciate the training and support each team member has given since starting. Knowing that this company cares about me as an individual first makes a huge difference.
November 16, 2018

At DEFENDERS we know our advantage is our people. This is why we ask that you work harder on yourself than you do on your job. When you grow, we all win! Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Assisted and supported Sales department with organizing and maintaining Act sales database for prospective clients, cold calling, appointment setting
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rego Park, NYNovember 14, 2018
Responsible for day to day administrative duties, provided direct support to
Senior Vice President of company, telephones, filing, handled company emails
and memos, all correspondence, assisted with billing, payroll, accounts payable
and receivables, organized and scheduled appointments for the Senior Vice
President, performed a variety of routine administrative tasks and functions.
Assisted and supported Sales department with organizing and maintaining Act
sales database for prospective clients, cold calling, appointment setting for
salesmen, generated proposals and all correspondence needed for sales
department
Love defenders!!!
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Newport, KYNovember 13, 2018
I plan on staying here forever long as things don’t change to much this company is amazing to work for but requires a lot of hard work. You have to be coachable an driven to do good at this job don’t assume u know it all come in ready to learn an soak up everything cause it will help you! Everyone at this job is usually smiling because we all care about one another we all support each other an make sure we stay positive an make money! It’s all commission but it’s very easy to make as long as you stay coachable. Listen to your managers because they are all looking out for you! Defenders stands behind so many amazing things they build homes an give there employees the opportunity to do that. We do all kinds of coat drives food drives charity work we truly care an it’s a amazing to find a job like this!
November 13, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback. At DEFENDERS we are called to grow and inspire leaders who love and serve people. Remember to work harder on yourself than you do on your job!

verey long hours even though the pay was good. Not a job for a person who enjoys seeing their family. Very poor management
Installation/Sales Technician (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 11, 2018
If your single, have no life outside of work, have no education, and want a company that pays well but could care less about you then this is the place to work.
Pros
pay
Cons
work/life balance, windshield time, poor lower and upper management abilities
November 12, 2018

At DEFENDERS we ask that you work harder on yourself than you do on your job--and this is only possible through a good work-life balance. We encourage you to have a conversation with your manager. We will also share your thoughts with our Leadership team. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Horrible Job
SA (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaNovember 10, 2018
If youre a snake this is the job for you only make money off commission. Really all about money you can only stay employed if you sell and offer every customer a 10k security system.
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Where do i begin
November 13, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback. At DEFENDERS we are a team of humble servants. We believe in winning the right way, with integrity and honesty. We encourage our team members to report any violations of company policy to our confidential 24/7 Integrity Hotline.

Teaching People to be good at the con game
Security Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2018
Your days start out on a negative note 99% of the time. The reason for this is just looking at your tablet to see your daily schedule will make it hard to remain positive. The schedule starts with you driving your personal vehicle to your branch office by 6:45 am. Even if your 8 - 9 am appointment says "customer request 9 am arrival. Even if the job is 5 minutes from your house, but the office is an hour from your house. Then the last job on you schedule says "arrive at 6" most days. Installations take a MINIMUM of 3-4 hours to complete. So you know your in for a 6:45 am - 9, 10, 11, or later day. Only to be expected to be at the branch by 6:45 the next morning, just to show your face. So if your last job finishes up early at 9 pm, you still put in about 15 hours that day. Not to mention the fact that they schedule you for an 11 am- 3 pm service call window. So you will almost never have time to stop and grab lunch. If you live in a big state, like Texas, your jobs could be over an hour away from each other. Plus you are not allowed to contact the customer to confirm appointments prior to going to the house. That can lead to instant termination. Nothing like driving an hour and a half to an arrive at 6 appointment, only to have the customer tell you they cancelled or rescheduled earlier that day. Defenders use to call you when that happened. Now they don't. They want you to go to people's houses anyway, and try to convince them to let you install a system. When you call your manager to tell them the situation, they give the customer a bunch of free equipment if they let you  more... do the installation. The job does not pay a piece rate, or an hourly rate. Only $50 to $100 to install the system, commission on up sells, plus your mileage pay. So if management gives the customer $2000 in free equipment, you have to install all of it for free. This is a regular thing, not a 1 off. So you will spend many nights working until 11 pm for a $50 payout. If the customer is not there, or still won't let you install that day, it counts as a cancel. It is assumed that YOU did something wrong. Managers interrogate you over the phone about what happened, to try to get you to implicate yourself as having done something wrong. (Not being good enough at playing semantics with a customer until near the end of installation). They will even call the customers and question them to try to find a way to blame you for a situation where the customer was blatantly lied to over the phone. It affects your pay grade, your reviews, and your opportunity for advancement. You are required to install 9 out of 10 jobs they send you on by company MINIMUM standards. If you are to do that, you have to perfect your "bait and switch" game. That is what 90% of their training is about. They know their telesales people lie to customers to set appointments, but they still hold you responsible for "getting the job in the ground no matter what". So if you get to a customers house and the customer called in because somebody broke into a vehicle in their driveway. You can't tell them that Defenders doesn't sell outdoor cameras until AFTER you have nearly completed the job. If a customer called in for $27.99 monthly monitoring rate, you better not ask them if they have a home phone line. That is a write up. You can't tell them it's going to be $48.99 - $59.99 until AFTER you have nearly completed the job. You can't tell customers that the "Free" camera they were promised still requires a $299 upgrade fee to be paid that day. Not until AFTER the job is nearly completed. So they teach you how to play word games with people and use semantics to make them think they are getting everything they want... Until the end. They teach you how to bs customers and get them to like you. Improving the likelihood they will buy from you even though much of the info they were originally sold on. All sales requires a certain level of bs. The bs that does not affect customers, I can live with. Example: You're a Patriots fan, but your customer is a Colts fan. So you become a Colts fan that day if the sale is important enough to you. None of that changes the price or service of whatever you are selling. Telling customers they will pay $19.99 - $27.99 for three years, when you know they will ultimately sign a contract for $48.99 - $59.99 is a con job. Telling customers you are going to cover all their doors and windows for $99, then trying to convince them a motion detector will cover their windows is a con job. Telling customers they are getting a free camera, a free doorbell camera, and a free door lock. Then telling them it's going to cost a $699 upgrade fee is a con. If you are good at the con game, and don't mind the driving (I replaced my engine, the later my trans on a 2009 vehicle due to the wear and tear of all the driving), then you can make some good money there. If you have a conscience, it will wear on you after while though. The people are cool though. They know that only likable people can succeed at the job, so you work around mostly a bunch of great guys. The benefits are good too. That is why I gave 4 stars for culture and benefits. Which upped my overall grade from 1 star to 2.  less
Great place to work!
Security Adviser (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 7, 2018
Demanding and challenging, not for the faint of heart. If you have a passion and desire you will succeed. They truly want you to work harder on yourself because if you're happy, you'll bring that with you to work!
November 8, 2018

Thank you for the feedback! At DEFENDERS we are a team of Growth-Oriented Learners, Competitive Winners, and Humble Servants.

Past Employee
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46250November 6, 2018
Defenders offered some great benefits through working there. If you were in customer service though, it felt as if you were beneath everyone else. There were pros and cons I guess
Pros
Free lunches, trips to help build homes, homes for habitat
Cons
Customer service, no room for advancement
November 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback. At DEFENDERS we believe that our advantage is our people, and we cannot continue to grow as a company unless our team members grow, too. We are sorry to hear about your experience, but we will share your feedback with our Leadership team.

Review
Security Advisor (Current Employee) –  FloridaNovember 5, 2018
Culture. Annual pay. Benefits. Everyone is super nice and seems genuine. Not common for sales. Get to travel a lot. SMs and SAs super great to work with. They have SOPs for everything and it makes learning and advancing super easy to understand.
November 6, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback! At DEFENDERS we believe that systems are the solution. Remember, Focus = Growth!

Defenders
Security Advisor (Current Employee) –  Dover, DENovember 5, 2018
Good pay reward
Great atmosphere within company
Training provided to high level
Nationwide opportunities
Multi week training course with online support
November 7, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. At DEFENDERS we are called to grow and inspire leaders who love and serve people!

The pros/cons from a pro
Security Advisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 2, 2018
There is an unlimited earning potential and the company takes care of you as a person rather than worrying about you as an employee... The pros/cons from a pro...
November 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. At DEFENDERS we know that businesses don't grow, people do! This is why we focus on you and your personal and professional growth. When you grow, we all win!

High Income potential
Security Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 1, 2018
Must have excellent sales skills, if so can make 6 figures fairly easy. Long work days for the most part. Work and life balance needs to improve. Meeting new people daily is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
High income potential
Cons
Long work days
November 5, 2018

At DEFENDERS we encourage you to work harder on yourself than you do on your job. And we know that a good work-life balance is necessary to achieve this. We will share your thoughts with our Leadership team. Thank you for your feedback.

Best review ever
Security Advisor (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 26, 2018
The company pushes you and gives you the tools to self-improve and build yourself as an individual overall. There's also great competitions to keep you motivated.
October 30, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. At DEFENDERS we know that when you grow, we all win!

Extremely successful
Sales (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 25, 2018
Positivity from both employees and management. the processes are there to set us up for success and that is one of my favorite things about the company.
October 30, 2018

At DEFENDERS we believe systems are the solution. When you trust the system and follow your standard operating procedures, you can achieve extraordinary results. Thank you for your feedback!

Stressful and poor management
Document Preparer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 22, 2018
In the beginning the job was fun, enjoyable and my manager was amazing. By the end of my career there, my manager had no clue how to help the employees (different manager than when I started), she was rude, always on personal cell phone and all employees came to me for help because I made sure they got answers.
October 23, 2018

At DEFENDERS we are called to grow and inspire leaders who love and serve people. We are sorry to hear about your experience as this clearly misses the mark. In a situation like this, we encourage our team members to make use of our confidential 24/7 Integrity Hotline. Thank you for sharing your feedback. We wish you the best!

Do not waste your time
Technician (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 22, 2018
You literally will have no life and feel miserable as a technician. Poor training within your city office. Expectations are high in sales but are ridiculous as technician. If you have no experience in technician services do not waste your time. They should be sued for throwing beginners in the field without reliable or full understanding of their system.
Benefits
Cons
Hours, lack of expertise, no life
October 22, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback. At DEFENDERS we are a team of Competitive Winners, but we are also just as passionate about Self-Improvement. We invest in you and your success through our award-winning training and resource library. Your manager can also be your biggest resource and supporter. We are sorry to hear you were unhappy, but we wish you the best.

very stress full and hostile work environment
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 14, 2018
The managers only care about numbers. The marketing strategy is focused on bate and switch. the company calls it the 11 step process. It is not very family friendly at the field level.
November 5, 2018

At DEFENDERS we are committed to thoroughly protecting families with a tailored solution to their home—no over-selling or under protecting. As a current team member, I encourage you to bring any questions or concerns to your manager. Or you can contact our confidential Integrity Hotline. Thank you for your feedback.
- Dan Abeln, Vice President of Field

Discrimination during intervew process
Interview candidate (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, NJOctober 14, 2018
I was promised a position until I submitted my video conference interview. Although I met all of the required qualifications, I feel that the interviewer discriminated against me because I'm a minority.
Pros
Cons
Discrimnation
November 5, 2018

Thank you for sharing your concerns. DEFENDERS is an equal opportunity employer, and strictly prohibits discrimination or harassment of any kind. All hiring decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. At DEFENDERS, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all Team Members.
- Jim Boyce, DEFENDERS President and CEO

cut throat and manipulative of customers
Security Advisor (Current Employee) –  DeSoto, TXOctober 12, 2018
if you like working for free, only being paid if a customer lets you install a systems, don't mind doing some service calls for free, enjoy being put in tense and difficult situations with customers feeling they were deceived prior to your arrival, then Defenders is the place for you.
Cons
committed to the job 15 hours a day, paid only for time inside a home IF the job goes in. If the job doesn't go in, then you don't get paid for your time.
November 12, 2018

At DEFENDERS we do our utmost to provide our Security Advisors with the tools, support, and training necessary to succeed. I encourage you to speak with your manager or contact our confidential Integrity Hotline. We grow through feedback like yours. Thank you for sharing.
- Dan Abeln, Vice President of Field

Not my cup of tea
Security / Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 9, 2018
Not into commission sales with incompetent call center staff and overarching management style from Managers who think they are leaders. Management always revolving.
Pros
Mostly able to set your own schedule.
Cons
Terrible Management
October 11, 2018

At DEFENDERS we are passionate about growing leaders who love and serve other people. We are sorry that you feel we missed the mark. Thank you for your feedback. We wish you the best!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DEFENDERS. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight