Defense Support Services Employee Reviews

Exelent employment
F-18 A-F Plane Captain (Former Employee) –  China Lake, CAApril 24, 2018
Great place to work for those getting out of the military.
benefits and vacation time are hard to beat.
Work out in all elements of weather, whatever the season
Pros
Good weather and good people
Cons
contarct work
simply a subcontractor
Heavy Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLMarch 20, 2018
They did not care about the worker and were only interested in doing the minimum. Often would take unnecessary risks to meet the contract deadlines. They dont care about their employees.
Fast paced
Aviation Sheetmetal Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 13, 2018
Come in inventory Mod kit's, go over the job and tool requirement. Remove or have removal of items that would make the Modification items easier to install. The fabricate or alter blank items to fit. Install modification's. Apply chemical conversion item's for corrosion, prime, paint and sign off waiting inspector's approval. I learned how to perform not only the job at hand but to do it faster and beat most time deadlines. Management was ok with getting parts that were missing from kit's. Workplace culture was fast paced. The hardest part of the job was not seeing family for most people, I was single so it didn't matter. The most enjoyable part was finishing the job ahead of time.
Pros
The pay was good, and the road trips
Cons
I was not on the road team but sent anyway, but it all worked out
contact work
Computer System Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 25, 2018
twist and turns, collaborating, friendly environment, different supervisors and changes. Very technical, very demanding, challenging, Contracted with the department of the Army. The company deals with aviation repair
Pros
good pay
Cons
small benefits
Defense Support Services
Logistic Specialist (Former Employee) –  Naval Station Norfolk, VAJanuary 25, 2018
Our management was very organized, which made your day at work enjoyable. As for productive we always reach our goal for that day or week because of management.
Pros
Great Company to work for.
Cons
Loss of government contract.
good company
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Tobyhanna, PAJanuary 11, 2018
Company was a good company, unfortunately it was sold out. The company had some good benefits and union that actually worked or the people not the company.
It was a stepping stone in my career.
Heavy mobile equipment mechanic M88 track series (Former Employee) –  Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow, CASeptember 13, 2017
Working at Ds2 was a pleasure. Although I didnt work with anyone else from DS2 since i was attached to a federal employee. I still enjoyed the treatment, pay, and fellowship they offered.
I enjoyed my years of service at the dept of defense
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Tobyhanna, PASeptember 6, 2017
I really enjoyed my 14 years on the job, it was a really good company to work for, I am looking to relocate somewhere, I truly hope and pray that I can find a job that would allow me to transfer so I wont lose my time my seniority means alot to me, I have been here 14 good years as a contractor. And the salary was very good.
Aircraft Mechanic
Aircraft Mechanic II (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZAugust 20, 2017
Worked on the AV8B Aircraft doing Pre Set and Reset Maintenance. Also assisted the Marines with Engine and Wing Removal and/or Replacement. Technical Directive Incorporation.
transition from military to civilian world
Logistics Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 28, 2017
*Superior Managerial and Leadership Skills. Relentless effort in the inventory and acquisition of repairable components resulted to the increased flight line readiness thereby increasing fighting capabilities. Conducted a bulkhead to bulkhead inventory and corrected discrepancies of organizational clothing, gear and equipment valued in excess of 5 million dollars in receipt processing and storage thereby increasing storeroom validity and readiness. Instrumental in the Assault Craft and Equipment Repair parts Storeroom receiving an inventory and location validity of 100 percent during the command oversight inspection.
Pros
Eeo
Cons
short breaks
Great Experience
MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Fort Richardson, AKJuly 4, 2017
Preventative Maintenance on military vehicles. I learned how to repair army trucks. The supervisor was one of the best supervisors i ever had. The workplace was a clean environment but some of the government employees were a problem. Nice pay with other benefits.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 13, 2017
It was really interesting. Taking all the very important, detail information and making sure it is in the system correctly since it is very sensitive. All information must match books for aircraft pilot.
Pros
Got to ride in a BLackhawk
Cons
Department closed
The Job
Safety / Quality Officer (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJune 1, 2017
Contract positions so the job didn't include to many benefits. Worked side by side with military members as well as with DOD employees. The work area was nice and clean
Pros
Pay
Cons
Contract Position
productive place to work,
Medical Record Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 9, 2017
I really do not have much to say. I was not satisfied with the company. The management is poor. Its hard to excel or move up with in the company. It really has its ups and downs.
Pros
flex time, paid holidays, overtime
Cons
poor management, poor salary, poor sick time, poor vacation time
no complaintes about this company. good people and good work ethic from most.
Line Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Tyndall AFB, FLAugust 19, 2016
multiple shift options, many people willing to trade shifts and a lot of knowledge and people willing to help when asked.
US Navy
DS2 NDI TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 22, 2016
I would encourage all youths with no career path in mind after graduating high school to join the military. The discipline and knowledge you gain while serve your country in priceless.
Good co to work for
Aircraft Mechanic 1 (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 9, 2016
Fast paced work enviroment. some good and some bad workers there. weather is nice. the hangers are old. cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
Pros
nice area
Cons
bad managment
Productive Working Environment.
Safety Observer/Quality Control Representative (Current Employee) –  Ridgecrest, CASeptember 13, 2015
A work environment that is supportive and productive with a proactive union that supports its workers. The core management within the site has a high turnover rate which equates to a disconnect between the leadership and its subordinates. The company at times selects personnel formerly in the senior enlisted corps of the military.
Pros
Morning and Afternoon Breaks, Travel Detachments, Pay Raises.
Cons
Management Politics, No Upward Mobility.
Tight hangar, and a tight crew.
Aircraft Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort Drum, New YorkSeptember 1, 2015
Worked in a tight hangar amongst a bunch of grunt-level mechanics. Learned how much I had forgotten, and how much I still have to learn.
Fun workplace with pooltable and gym.
Material Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 21, 2015
It's a nice place to work if you've retired from another job and already have income, i.e. 50+ seniors. However, if you have a family to support, have any ambitions of eventually being more than a grunt or want some place where everyone is treated equally, this is not for you.
Pros
Easy job, laid back, gym.
Cons
No opportunity for advancement.