Delaware Nature Society Employee Reviews

Needs Stronger Leadership
Visitor Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hockessin, DEOctober 4, 2018
I worked for DNS for over three years at the DuPont Environmental Education Center and Ashland Nature Center. I loved teaching people the importance of preserving and conserving our environment. The locations are beautiful and well maintained. There are many smart educators there. I left a big corporate job to live out my dream of being closer to nature last year and have a hard time trying not to regret that decision. I worked as a Visitor Services Specialist and it was a terrible work environment. The Registrar worker and Registrar Coordinator were selfish, strict, emotional and unrealistic. The training was inadequate and instead of working as a team, they made me and another worker who quit on the spot feel like we could not do the job properly. DEEC was not any better. You had the stereotypical older knit picky people acting like they knew everything and worked so hard to take care of the centers when in reality the volunteers and educators contributed greatly. Because it’s at the end of the Riverfront in the city you run into unruly and unsupervised children and the manager makes the staff feel guilty for not babying them. This organization lacks a dynamic work environment and diversity. The only people who have an ideal experience are educators, interns and people in higher paying and independent jobs. Everyone else complains or quits. Sometimes you even feel a prejudice from the older, arrogant people or young “pristine” interns.
Pros
Beautiful Sites, Cool Trips
Cons
Weak and Narrow Minded Management, Low Pay
Nature Society
Teacher Naturalist (Current Employee) –  Hockessin, DEMarch 15, 2018
Excellent non profit company seeking to enlighten people of all ages to the natural world. Programs provided that share nature experiences from many different habitats not just in Delaware, but all over the world.
Non Profit Teaching Children about Nature and Ecology
Teacher Naturalist (Current Employee) –  Hockessin, DEJuly 31, 2017
Teacher Naturalists can work a few hours up to almost half time, depending on your experience, training and interest. We teach school children on field trips about geology, nature and ecology and other topics in a beautiful natural setting. The full time staff and other teacher naturalists are very supportive and everyone is dedicated to the mission and vision. The hardest part for me, with limited experience in teaching children, was learning and applying good teaching priniciples and techniques so that the children were drawn in and got the most from the experience. The best part was seeing kids excited about the nature experience.
productive and fun workplace
Summer Camp Assistant (Former Employee) –  hockessin, DESeptember 6, 2015
A typical work day involved me assisting camp instructors make a positive and fun learning environment for the campers. I learned that I am great with kids and love nature. The management team was so kind and everyone worked together to make sure every ones needs were met. All of the staff worked together and respected on another. I would say the hardest part of the job was disciplining the children, I never liked to see them sad. The most enjoyable part of the job was opening the minds and creativity of all the children. I loved to see them explore nature and gaining a new respect for the world around them.
Volunteer
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Greenville DEMay 22, 2015
As a volunteer I would help out during events like the Native Plant Day sale or the Harvest Moon Festival, it was based in Greenville delaware but i didnt mind helping out. I would help during the sales and do activities with families and kids like face painting or helping them draw.
Pros
good purpose, nice people
Cons
on a farm, far drive