Delaware State University Employee Reviews

Excellent communication from the top down
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEMarch 5, 2019
As a student worker, it was very important to me to understand and be on the same page as my employer and our objective for the day. They gave me a clear understanding of the objectives that they wanted to accomplish and how they wanted to get them done. Working with my fellow students was also just a blast.
nice place to work
Receiving Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEFebruary 22, 2019
Very good work environment and good people to work with.Laid back environment. who's main goal is the students. Offers a lot of classes to help students advance in the outside world. With a lot of students returning for graduate school.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
not enough pay
Fun workplace but stressful at times
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEFebruary 4, 2019
I was a full-time student and worked for my university as a resident advisor. I worked as a resident advisor which was a stressful job but introduced me into a leadership role.
Pros
Free housing, meals and networking opportunities
Cons
Watching other students act poorly
Positive and progressive environment
Marketing Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJanuary 31, 2019
Delaware State University was a wonderful location and institution to work for. The working staff from the bottom to the top are all excellent and kind people. Everyone works together from within their specified department and members from other departments as well. I think the work environment is like this mainly because the students are the priority of the professor, advisories, and the financial aid department.
Student-Athlete
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJanuary 26, 2019
Worked as an intern in the Bio lab working on neuroblastoma cells. Definitely a rewarding opportunity. Required ample patience and precision. A great job to have while still in college.
Exhilarating and Joyous
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEJanuary 6, 2019
I loved my time at Delaware State University as a Full-time student worker. The work was done easily and I was awarded with so many new opportunities.
Pros
Breaks, Easy Pay, Free Housing
Careers
Safety & Risk Director (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJanuary 4, 2019
DSU was an excellent place to work during my tenure great atmosphere. A great experience for career advancement and to manage a bass variety of people.
Unorganized and has constant turnover
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEDecember 28, 2018
The benefits isn't worth the stress. Teamwork is a motto that is worn out between offices but the employees are reluctant when the time comes to provide help.
Great potential
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dover, DENovember 14, 2018
I enjoyed working at DSU. However, leadership in the Finance department leaves alot to be desired. Great potential for longevity if strong leadership is in place.
Great institution of higher learning.
Supplemental Instructor/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Dover, DENovember 11, 2018
I received optimal course work and laboratory training as well as great professional development. I appreciate the scholarships and work study opportunities available.
Delaware State University
Event Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dover, DENovember 7, 2018
I was a student worker at Delaware State University for 3 years. There was no typical work day, because almost every day was different in regards to the issues and concerns we had to deal with. Overall management was okay. The chain of command wasn't always followed properly, but management did try its best to be efficient and effective communicators with its workers. I learned a lot working at Delaware State: soft skills, communications skills, and even life lessons. The job really acted as a stepping stone into what a normal job life would be outside the university. The hardest part of the job was handling conflict. My job required workers to have a calm temperament when dealing with distressed clients.
Pros
Free food, free entry to events, free apparel.
Cons
organization's communication skills
Work/study
WDSU-TV Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover, DESeptember 9, 2018
it is always good to have a job on campus because you are not only making money, but you are also gaining experience that you can use in the working world and in your career field.
Awesome place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  DelawareSeptember 8, 2018
DSU is an awesome place to work. The only problem is part-time employees should have the options of working between 20-29 hours per week. Otherwise, DSU is sincerely a wonderful place to be employed.
Pros
Management learning skills
Cons
limited working hours
Not the best place to work
Testing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dover, DESeptember 4, 2018
Management talks about staff with no regards for being decent at times. No regard for personal life and very stringent. Very boring place to work. If you want to just sit around and have bad talked about you with no benefits this is the place for you. No benefits for part time workers but you are expected to work full time hours and work outside of your schedule with no questions asked.
Pros
working on a campus
Cons
poor management, no benefits for part time employees however you are still expected to work over 40 hours a week.
Enjoyable place to work
Professor of Biology (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEAugust 31, 2018
I established life-long relationships and gained valuable work experiences that have prepared me for upper administrative opportunities. There are ample opportunities to create a unique niche for yourself.
Excellent Benefits, Poor Work Environment
Non-Exempt Employee (Current Employee) –  Dover, DE 19901August 8, 2018
The organization does not value its employees or students. Many offices work in silos and lack collaboration. Faculty, secretarial staff, and custodial staff are unionized. Professional employees are At-Will and are frequently abused by their managers due to this status. The office of human resources does little to remedy areas that have low retention rates for staff and needs to conduct leadership training for its leadership. Students do not have adequate housing and their concerns are unheard by administration. Many of the courses students need are often unavailable during registration periods.
Pros
Educational Benefits for FT Employees, Beautiful Campus
Cons
Unprofessional Work Culture, Top Heavy Institution, Antiquated Work Practices
Funding
Voice Instructor (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEAugust 7, 2018
My department was underfunded, making it very difficult to obtain the proper resources to properly teach. The lack of funding also makes career advancement/tenure track very difficult.
Review of Research within Chemistry Dept
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJuly 8, 2018
Research is self conducted with lack of collaborative innovative efforts. Not too many research advisor offer students work experience due to the lack of resources and tons of financial instability.
Pros
Decent Student Body
Cons
No job Benefits
Chemistry Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJuly 3, 2018
I learned various lab techniques and areas of research I may be interested in pursuing in the future. The workplace culture I would deem comfortable and supportive.
Great Job for Students
Peer Counselor (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEJune 21, 2018
Being a peer counselor at del state was a great job as a college student. Competetive pay compared to all other college jobs and management is amazing.