Dell Employee Reviews

Found 5,010 reviews matching the search See all 8,907 reviews
Wonderful Place for Your Career
Program/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 15, 2018
Dell is a wonderful place to have a career. They offer great benefits, a flexible schedule and challenging work. The opportunities for advancement are clearly presented, and are absolutely not limited to non-minorities. The work/life balance is fantastic, and the people you work with are truly outstanding, intelligent and willing to help in any/every way they can. If you're looking for a super fast-paced, lots of travel, always on your toes career, this is probably not the place for you. However, if you want a stable job and are family-oriented, it is perfect.
Pros
Compensation / Benefits, Work life balance, Great people to work with and for
Cons
The location. They are wiling to let individuals work remotely, but if you want to move up, you need to be in Austin.
too many layoffs
Principal Software Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Santa ClaraNovember 13, 2018
too many layoffs . Politics in every team. Not a good management at all. Very little benefits. Every quarter there are layoffs and no promotions .
0+ years professional hands-on electro-mechanical or mechanical design experience with increasing design/project responsibility
Experience in consumer electronic products or medical devices
Proficiency with general ME CAD tools: SolidWorks, Pro/E, CoCreate or Creo
Must have solid experience with plastic injection moldings (50+ parts designed)
Good understanding of basic mechanics and machine design.
Preferred candidates would also have sheet metal stamping and a machined parts background.
Highly stressful, but extremely rewarding
Executice Director Marketing (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 30, 2018
Dell is a great place to work if you are seeking success, accomplishments, advancement, income, benefits, and creativity. The culture is one where getting things done takes precedence over just about everything else. However, Dell's leadership and people managers encourage and allow contributors to always to more regardless of the time required or the lack of support resources necessary to accomplish goals within normal hours. So, hard work and getting along is rewarded, but work life balance and support from leadership is pretty bad.
Pros
The work, pay & benefits
Cons
Stress, lack of support
Coming from EMC
Technical Service Engineer II / Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTDecember 19, 2018
Maybe what attracted Dell to EMC was its unspoken policy to hire fresh out of college. When you're that guy fresh out of college the opportunity is fantastic, but most people who get really good don't stick around. I Think DellEMC is a great springboard for breaking into the industry - but keep the resume and LinkedIn profile up-to-date. Get to know the great people who do work there and sharpen your skills for the next venture.
Pros
Great opportunity for someone breaking into the industry. The XtremIO training was fabulous
Cons
VNX training was horrible, advancement ceiling is lower that it appears, management plays games with raises
Easy life but beware
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJanuary 4, 2019
Wonderful atmosphere, close to inside knowledge of the Technology landscape. However...

Less stressful as a contractor.

Salary and quota are about as different as water and a rock. Quotas are easily raised to avoid paying out full compensation ($55,000/ ISR 2)

Without full compensation, hourly pay is extremely low.

Dell employees suffer from a corporate structure where executives and salaried managers eat the cake and everyone else can lick the receipt.
Pros
Free food from partners, great co-worker atmosphere
Cons
Cheated out of compensation, Selfish managers
Working Remotely is Necessary
Sr. Project Manager/Principle Advisor (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAOctober 22, 2018
Dell/EMC was a great place to work and continue my career in Project/Program Management in Logistics and Supply Chain.

Due to Dell Technologies being worldwide, several teams are spread out and therefore some people are able to work remotely. I was one of those and it worked out wonderfully and even allowed me to be more productive during the day with less distractions.
Pros
Working Remotely, Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits, along with 401K match
Cons
Not enough educational benefits when learning a new aspect of the job
Best Employer and Experience Ever
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 16, 2018
Dell introduced me to the core of private industry (all facets). The company picnics, company holiday events, company team-builder "off-site" events, etc. were wonderful morale building tools. Salary was competitive, benefits were great and human resource, finance and management personnel were high caliber and extremely professional. The workload was challenging, yet manageable, and very rewarding to me and my team. I would never have left the job I had except they were relocating the operation I supported to another state, and I was unable to leave Texas due to a critical family need.
Pros
Excellent Opportunities for Advancement
Cons
Occasional Layoffs and Relocation of Programs Out-of-State
Very boring and stressful place working in Pro Support and Pro Support ELS
Pro Support ELS (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXDecember 4, 2018
I would come in to work and start by reading emails from customers that were upset or wondering why the issue was not resolved yet. I would then go into available to help out any customers calling in. You will wait for the customers to call in and most time they are upset with the computer and it not working. You will get two 15 min breaks that are timed and if you go over you will be penalized. The pay is nice but not enough to even live in Austin and the vacation is great if you can get it. You have to compete with the whole floor to get your time off and you will not get it off if someone has gotten before you. I will say the health and 401k is amazing but other than that I will not recommend working in Pro Support or Pro Support ELS
Pros
Free lunches when overtime is mandatory and great benefits
Cons
Very Short breaks, very unhappy customers, and taking time off is super hard.
No Job Security or Advancement
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hopkinton, MAAugust 14, 2018
After Dell acquired EMC, the Legacy EMC people were constantly being laid off and passed over for opportunities. Dell moves as many jobs as possible overseas and discourages management from hiring or advancing in high cost areas. Dell does not provide cost of living increases each year. Unless you are a top performer at the company, you will make less money year over year. Even being a top performer only gives you a cost of living bump. Management statements do not match the actions that are executed.
Pros
Working remotely is encouraged, Parental Leave Program
Cons
Benefits, Work/Life Balance, Job Security, Pay Increases, Limited Advancement.
Used to be the best place to work when it was EMC
Sr Account Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  NCNovember 6, 2018
Ever since the merger the company culture and attitude has completely changed. No longer does the company care about its customers. The company only cares about useless metrics that a broken system generates. Making it worse is that instead of improving those systems they just micromanage even more, all the way to VP’s micromanaging the lowest level employees. This leads to employees just making the numbers look good to keeep management off their backs because if the job was done properly with the customer in mind the metrics generated would look poor. Benefits have been reduced. We used to get $50,000 for grad school reimbursement. Now it’s $5,250 per year. Health benefits are worse and more expensive. People quit or are fired and never replaced to save money but management complains about overtime. I used to swear I would never leave EMC. Now, I don’t know how they will be the leader that they are in 5 years with how quickly they are moving from caring about the customers who keep them in business.
Pros
Pay, benefits still better than a lot of places
Cons
Management, management, management, micromanaging, broken systems that track everything you do
Lack of communication
Medical Claim's Processor (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeAugust 27, 2018
They changed management too much. The rules changed almost every other week so it was hard to stay consistent in processing claims correctly. But once they finally got a new Supervision and a new trainer, it made it a little better with consistency in processing. The benefits were not that bad. I really did enjoy the flex time because it allowed many of us to take care of business without using so much of our PTO or call in.

I think overall if the pay was a little higher and there weren't so many turnovers in management, it would have made the job a little bit better or the company a better company to work for.
Pros
Working from home. Flex time
Cons
Under paid, lack of communication, inconsistency
some opportunities for those really focused, could use better management
Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAOctober 9, 2018
I am a remote employee, so Dell doesn't pay much attention to the support we need. It is there, but you will have to work for it more often than you would think. I have learned much from my time here both personally and professionally, most of it through observation rather than a deliberate managed structure.
Pros
benefits, some structured guidance for advancement
Cons
lack of management and communication between departments and clients
Bar raised daily
IT Director - Mergers & Acquisitions (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 13, 2018
Dell is a great place to work, assuming you are always ready to raise your own bar. The ability to deal with ambiguity is considered a ticket to entry. People either thrive or get very discouraged. It's not for everyone, but if it matches your personality you will enjoy it.

Dell is flexible and allows work from home in many roles. However, you will need to be face to face when you have opportunities to present to uppers. Very important to manage your up chain.

All normal benefits plus some. However their insurance deductible and cost continues to go up yearly. Salary increases are not huge unless you are promoted.
Pros
flexible work environment
Cons
insurance cost continue to increase
The comaraderie was high with the nice group of fellow employees.
Medical Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 26, 2018
We were a pilot company, so we learned as we went the first year. The job aids and system maneuvering were very confusing as well.

Most fellow coworkers were supportive overall, but the expectations exceeded the compensation. I felt lost and overwhelmed the majority of the time.

Almost daily overtime was expected with no consideration for our home life activities.
Pros
Nice people and management. Free coffee
Cons
Extremely low compensation with the high expectations. No kitchen. All vending machines.
Don’t do it.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Franklin, MANovember 7, 2018
The merge with Dell (formely EMC) ruined the company. They care more about the money than the people like how it used to be. They do lay offs often, and all the decent reasons to work for them, they’re slowly weeding away. Company is falling apart. They allow people who have ins with the company to get away with anything, by turning their heads. However, others will walk on egg shells. Certain managers are more lenient than others. Some buildings are worst to work in than others.
Pros
Free Coffee and occasional group outtings
Cons
You’re just a number, lay offs, bad benefits
Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 9, 2018
The management was often unable to implement processes or new policies, or really anything without making the transition rough for everyone that these changes affected. I believe that, for the most part, the management is trying to do the right thing by the Dell employees, but it can be very complicated to get everything right when there are so many moving parts in an organization - especially one that acquired a company (EMC) worth more than 2x what Dell itself is worth, and is tasked with the responsibility to integrate the two companies' teams, management, back-end processes, databases, CRM software, etc.

The point is: I think they are trying, though the general confusion resulting from the way many things are done at the company can potentially make it more difficult for someone to perform their job duties to the best of their ability.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers, work schedule flexibility
Cons
Frequent misunderstandings/overall general confusion resulting from a lack of communication
nasty managers poor moral
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORJuly 25, 2018
If you don't want a life outside of work or to be treated fairly at work, this is the job for you! Overtime? All you want, but you only get paid $4 an hour. NOT $4 extra, ... just $4 dollars per hour. As my manager told me, it is not illegal because you make up for it in commissions. LOL what a joke. It is salary so they can make you stay an extra 4 hours after your 8 hour shift is up every day of the week but never pay you the over time... but you miss a day, they doc every minute from your pay that you are gone. You log in and start up your computer, read your emails and listen to voicemails 15 minutes before your shift starts... unpaid.. The end of the day is the same way, 15 minutes clearing up odds and ends... emails and VMs unpaid. I found out on my day off that DELL had pulled out of Roseburg and shut down with no warning. It took me a month to get only some of my things back sent to me since once closed we were not allowed inside the buildling.
Pros
steady employment
Cons
everything else.
Awesome team environment
Senior Technical Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 25, 2018
I worked around some of the industry's greatest people while working at Dell Nashville. that said the pay was not remotely on par with the industry in the Nashville area. we had great benefits and i've never worked in a place that had so many meetings. Team building was a wonderful thing here. department and team managers were all awesome to work with. Disappointed that the entire Core support and eventually XPS teams were just abandoned by Dell and laid off but while there the people made the job worth coming to every day. Many of my co-workers and managers are still friends to this day.
Pros
Great people and managers, amazing team support and environment
Cons
extremely low pay, laid off without any warning
Fast paced worplace with many career growth opportunities.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 21, 2018
Dell was a great company to work for. Unfortunately for a newly single dad it wasn't very accommodating. Long hours with siloed departments often undermining productivity. Endless meetings during office hours led to working too much from home and a low quality of life.
Pros
Great compensation and growth opportunities. Excellent benefits.
Cons
Highly competitive. Large corporate environment.
Good executive leadership, but poor managers
Product Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2018
Michael Dell and senior executive leadership has done an amazing job transforming the company, but it is filled with poor director-level people managers that cares more about themselves than building the team.

Employees tend to work in silos, and the work environment is stiff and old. There's a strong effort to provide better work/life balance by letting employees work remote, but in practice there's an unspoken pressure to be present in the office.
Pros
Great 401K and health benefits
Cons
Avg salary compensation, stiff and old culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dell. Our community is ready to answer.

53.3K
43.3K
31.7K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Dell.

Powered by Comparably