Deluxe Entertainment Services Group Management reviews

Poor infrastructure, No Recognition
Audio Restoration Engineer (Former Employee) –  Northvale, NJNovember 16, 2018
The facility has outdated and poorly maintained equipment. Staff is rarely acknowledged for achievements, but criticized for not being able to achieve unrealistic goals. Management appointments appear to be politically decided, with no correlation to actual skills or qualifications. Salaries are mediocre with little hope for raises or merit increases.
No ownership
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 2, 2018
Pros:
Flexible hours if you’re within certain divisions.
If you’re afraid of change, and want to do things the old-school way, this is the place for you.
Free food once weekly.
Deluxe offers amazing tools for their consumers. Cool to be a part of that.

Cons:
Some teams/divisions are lazy or they don’t know how to do their jobs/or they don’t want to work. These groups NEVER pull their weight and when things go wrong they go silent.

Technology and process for the majority of the groups is antiquated. They use buzzwords but do not have a solid grasp on the definitions of these buzzwords. (I once inquired...it was very sad).

Overflowing with ‘urgent’ priorities that do make sense.

Poorly managed.

Entitled tech divisions/ poor communication skills.

Prepare to be micromanaged by some group executives who don’t think they’re micromanaging, they “just want to make certain things go exactly as planned.”

If you’re a female, I pitty you. Stay away, It’s a sexist boys club here.

Some division are in at 1030 with an off-site hourly lunch, and out by 430...

Meetings saturated. You’ll have to work off hours to get work done or you won’t have access to meetings on the pieces you’re working on and you have to play telephone to get your job done. I once asked to be included and was told “only key people are invited” or “we don’t need your level in that meeting.”

There isn’t a concept of HR here. Once hired, you’re all alone.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
See above
Horrible...
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAAugust 18, 2018
One of the most poorly managed employers I have ever had, and I consider myself a very dedicated employee. Executives all micro-manage their employees and promote and encourage a "tell on one another" environment amongst employees, causing for a ton of problems. The office setting is awkward and much like a telemarketer setting so it is hard to focus especially with management breathing down your neck every second. Management is not trained to handle problems with employees face to face, if you do anything wrong, it will be a write up, not a conversation.
Pros
Cons
Management practices, Office environment, lack of social culture
Productive and lively work place. Family oriented.
EXECUTIVE ASST/PRESIDENT (Former Employee) –  149 5th Avenue, New York, NY - 7th FloorJuly 5, 2018
I enjoyed working for Deluxe Entertainment immensely. I was sorry they didn't have another position where I was able to be placed to utilize my skillset. However, the Human Resource team was gracious in providing my resume to other Executives for future available positions.
Pros
Very family oriented atmosphere.
Cons
THe commuication between the New York and Los Angeles office can improve.
Favoritism at it's finest
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAJune 5, 2018
Hollywood location - poor management from top to bottom. Suggestions are brushed aside for methods that only the ancient folks that have survived there implement. Every employee is on the verge of leaving due to high stress and being severely overworked. Want to advance? Want to learn? Lots of people with Napoleon-complex. If you aren't making the big bucks like the colorists then you aren't s*** to them.

Go work for another post-production company instead where they appreciate hard work. The equivalent of slave labor.
They don't care
Video Technician (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAMay 30, 2018
For as much as this company praises itself with how great it is, they don't care if they let you go. If you are uneducated slow and stupid then you will fit in here perfectly.
One Deluxe Will Never Happen
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2018
Management culture is completely disconnected from the engineering/worker culture. Upper management is mired in politics so much that our regional manager spent all their time deflecting unrealistic goals and expectations from above. Once our regional manager started pushing back, upper management STOPPED COMMUNICATING entirely for two weeks until our regional manager left.
Divisions have poor communication - edicts from on high descend and worker-bees are expected to figure things out with no support, no budget allowance, and no room to make decisions.
Pay is lower than should be - company keeps employees failure-focused so that lower pay is justified.
Environment is cutthroat with no reward.
Messy place
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAJanuary 4, 2018
Horrible work culture in IT Dept, controlled by few old timers who would not see you succeed and they rather see you fail than company succeed. I had never seen HW/SW is such a poor configuration, it is like sweeping the dust under the carpet without fixing the problem. Just don't dare to point the problem!
Pros
free bagels on thursday
Cons
stressful environment
Great Products, challenging environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 2, 2018
Exciting environment to work within due to the tight deadlines and continued growth in workloads, however constant turnover of leadership & lack of collaboration between organizations creates a difficult environment within which to drive business change
Pros
Exciting environment, great work colleagues, challenging deliverables and deadlines
Cons
Lack of collaboration between functions, high turnover of leadership, need to better define & implement strategic actions to align to the corporate vision
Localization Department is a Mess
Account Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CADecember 3, 2017
Overall, it’s a great company. I love my coworkers and I’m good at what I do. There’s satisfaction in that. However, I’m significantly underpaid, and they’ve been talking with me about a promotion for several months. I’m left in the dark. I know I’m not the only one experiencing this. Deluxe puts their clients above everything else. If they spent more focus empowering and bettering their employees, the clients’ needs would fall into place. The organization of the localization department is severely lacking. Turnover is incredibly high and ranges across all experience levels; account coordinators, managers, SVP of global sales, and, just recently, the president of localization.
Roll out the red Carpet!
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, CANovember 30, 2017
Greet clients on arrival and provide them with the best Client Services possible. Coffee, latte, espresso, breakfast, lunch & dinner. We pretty much provide anything they ask for well not anything, but its rare we don't meet up to the clients request or expectations. I've learned first and for most how to read our clients and new ones too. Each client is different and special in there own way. It can be challenge! The management is great! They help out and guide us on a daily basis, giving us every detail we need to know to tackle and execute the day. The workplace is full of wonderful people who put together this magic to make the show run each and every day. We take care of our staff too, so they depend on us for support and meals when working long hours and around the clock. The hardest part of the job is having to juggle multiple clients at a time on a daily basis. Getting to know your client, what your clients expects every time they come in through that door. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I made that connection with client and delivered outstanding hospitality and customer service for them, it is truly rewarding!
Pros
Free snacks, drinks and meals when OT is approved
Cons
Location (Not the safest neighborhood in Hollywood)
Soul sucking job on slow burn
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAOctober 26, 2017
Working at Deluxe has taught me when to say No. Deluxe doesn't recognize the word no, nor do they intend to fix any problem satisfactorily. They will come up with some poor solution and in the long run creates more problems and more work for the 5 people actively working to improve the company. They hire people who don't know what they're doing and they don't receive the proper training to get up to snuff after months, even years. They like to wave promises of promotions and pay raises only for them to come months later, if it ever shows up. The management is so bad the people who nurtured the company for 14 years left due to the atrocious changes in management. Overall, horrible company to work for that's getting worse. Get out while you can or you'll be stuck there thinking that's how you're supposed to be treated at work - it's not.
Pros
Mixers to drown out your sorrows from time to time
Cons
Working on a 24/7 hour timeline
Great work atmosphere but disconnected on the micro level.
Asset Manager (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAAugust 8, 2017
Great office space and great people but a little lack of communication from management to the individual teams. I learned a lot about different work flows and developed but communication skills but this is sidelined from how much better the work environment would be if managers listened to their teams concerns more. Deadlines are the hardest part of the job but not hard to overcome. The most enjoyable part of the job is just getting to work with creative people on great content.
Pros
The culture and office space.
Cons
Management and too many changes too suddenly
Bad management
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAJuly 29, 2017
Micro-managed environment, high-stress, bad workflow across all departments. Very behind in the industry. They do pay top of market though, if that is of importance to you, this is a great place for you to work.
Pros
Top of market pay
Cons
Micro-Managers, Manual work
A place to pass through
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAJuly 21, 2017
A good place to sharpen your skills and move on from.
Embedded middle management will delegate as much of their work to subordinates because upper management does the same thing to them creating a circle of codependency that you are made to feel obligated to maintain.
Pros
Your can learn new skills
Cons
You have to do both your job and that of your manager
Deep industry ties.
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 18, 2017
The company has longstanding relationships and industry ties. However, the leadership is distant from its employees- there is heavy oversight. The verticals are really disjointed.
Its a place to work
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAJuly 7, 2017
If you have a useful skill, lower management will exploit it to make themselves look good to upper management and use you to train their minion. You can use that to sharpen your skills and then move on like most smart people do here. IT personnel seem to be the most transient of all. Unfortunately the ones who you come to rely on seem to all of a sudden disappear, wonder why?
Pros
If you know how to patch things up, you will never be bored here
Cons
Putting out fires all the time will burn you out if not careful
its gotten better but still not a great place to work.
IT (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAApril 20, 2017
Since we have a fairly new CEO and CIO things have changed but this company still needs a lot of work. before last year I had only gotten one pay increase in around 5 years of service.
Job security is based on hoarding knowledge and being buddies with the higher management.
Benefits are OK, Pay is on the very low end, borderline underpaid.
They do not want to provide training to help increase employee knowledge. it appears they view employees as an expense instead of an investment.
Pros
free bagels every Thursday
Cons
bad pay, promotions are based on who you know.
Bad management
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAApril 18, 2017
Fast paced environment with no recognition from management for the work, quick to throw their weight around when they don't like something.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people since there are lots of employees at this company and many personalities.
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
Management is terrible
All peices are needed to keep the tire turning.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAApril 12, 2017
Deluxe has some managers who do not even talk to the people they are leading. If the managers are taught to lead, it would be a much better place to work. Women are still not cimpensated as generously as the men, but it is getting there. Certain areas of the company are treated much better that others although they could move forward with out other employees wh0 are often for gotten.. It is like a spoke in the Wheel, all peices are needed to keep the tire turning.
Pros
Deluxe is changing the management style a bit.
Cons
Some managers need to be taught to lead.