Democrat and Chronicle

Democrat and Chronicle Employee Reviews in Rochester, NY

People here are truly dedicated to local journalism and the importance it plays in our communities. Everyone is working to make our product great. Hardest part of the job is the outside criticism and lack of understanding.
Pros
Full of great people.
Cons
Constantly changing work environment
Good team cool calm and collective area everybody doing what they have to do to get the job done for the delivery in the morning good management team everybody treated everybody fairly
I love it! I love to drive and I like the feeling of helping others by providing great customer service to making sure that the customers get their delivery in a timely manner. I wish they had company vehicles we could use instead of our own vehicle. Like other distributors.
Pros
Friendly, paid weekly, team players
Cons
Use of own vehicle, provides wear and tear on vehicle, pay doesn't supplement needed repairs.
Democrat and Chronicle direct management instilled a great workplace environment that was painful to leave. Compensation was lacking so it made it a little easier.
Pros
People
Cons
Compensation
The Democrat and Chronicle has arguably one of the most knowledgeable staffs in the industry. Just being around them you can soak up tips, hints and tricks of the trade.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
newspaper route 7 days a week, no days off, had a set route that changed whenever cutomers went on vacation or if they started or stopped the paper. had to deliver the paper everyday no matter what the weather was like even in the worst snowstorms.
Pros
part=time
Cons
never a day off
When people actually read the paper it was decent, print started dying and it went down hill as far as acquiring clients. Its been a while so it would not be fair to judge as I know they have gone to more of a digital format
Pros
when work is done at 5pm- you are done - can leave work at work
Cons
print is not as popular
There were times when it was a bit slow. There were a lot of email and phone orders that had to be placed. There were also many times that irate customers would call in due to not receiving a newspaper. I did get along with everyone.
Pros
Got along with everyone
Cons
very early morning hours
After 15 years of good work there was held laid-off. The company was in the throes of staff reductions to save money. The management was haphazard in its standards and a lot of that had to do with the money focused approach that influenced decisions.
Pros
Basic employee benefits
Cons
Poor management
The money is there. They give you the tools. Make sure that you put the time and effort in and you will be rewarded. Only downside is the company is always asking "what are you going to do for me?" Not ever considering the question of "what have you done for me?"
This job as a carrier is not a real money maker. The pay is dirt and the effort you must make for a couple hundred bucks a week makes you wonder why you're doing it. The other carriers can be quite rude so the work environment isn't great. The wear and tear on your car takes its toll so there's a lot to consider when considering taking this job.
Pros
Some customers do appreciate your efforts and show it by tipping you.
Cons
Poor base pay by company. Poor work environment.
Very good company to work for during a time when newspapers still had a little bit of moxie. The times have changed quick, and when you are a large company like Gannett, pro-active change is not always a smooth transition
Pros
Solid company
Cons
Driven soley by Advertising dollar, not cutting-edge journalism
I received my first journalism experience here. The staff made a big investment in training me in the basics of newspaper editing. It was my first glimpse of the real world.
The position was actually comprised of multiple responsibilities that were picked up as a result of downsizing in different areas. As a position was eliminated the duties were combined with the duties of remaining employees in order to ensure that necessary functions continued despite the loss of personnel. Some of the functions added to those of the Security Specialist were those that had been handled by the warehousing staff, the mail center staff, and the distribution staff. These were in addition to duties pertaining to the security and safety operation which included overseeing the security systems and the issuing of both employee identification cards and access control cards.
The Warehousing / Distribution / Mail Center / Building Services department was a fast-paced environment requiring a variety of skills and the ability to react swiftly to changes in tasks and priorities. No two days were exactly the same, which provided a stimulating workplace and the opportunity to use problem-solving skills on a constant basis in order to achieve maximum efficiency and meet all deadlines. Meeting those challenges was the most enjoyable aspect of the position, and providing top-notch, error-free service ensured a smoother operation for every department and individual that depended on those services that impacted their function.
Cons
The position and duties have been outsourced.
call center atmosphere, great managment, wonderful coworkers. enjoyable place to have worked. parking downtown was very expensive.
Pros
very family oriented and flexible
Cons
na
Work was very stressfull but rewarding. Long hours but the rewards worth the efforts. I learned to work independently and manage others. I enjoyed the relationships I had with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was meeting sales goals. Over estimated goals made it discouraging at times. The most enjoyable part of the job was the freedom to work my own hours.
Pros
Independent work schedule
Cons
Unobtainable sales goals
I work on a production line inserting ads into the newspaper. The people I work with are very friendly and I love the work.
Pros
p/t time hrs always available
Cons
hrs vary
You work 7days a week in all weather conditions. Your pay is based on how many customers you have. I go to get my papers about 12:30 am and may it there until 2am-3am before the papers get there (you don't get paid for sitting). You also don't get taxes out of your pay so you get a 1099
Pros
7 day work week
Cons
don't get paid to sit and wait for papers
Professional Graphics Editor with 7+ years of experience in supervising and producing accurate daily informational graphics (info graphics) under tight deadlines, inspiring thought and provoking change in the community. Proven ability to continue to innovate and maintain short and long term deadline graphics through transitional work environment with reduced resources, while upholding quality and accuracies expected by readership. Imaginative and energetic leadership style results in a compelling leader and team builder, with recognized success in visual data processing and managerial problem solving. The best part of the job was the staying on top of the news and having an immediate impact on the community. It was like being a teacher for 750,000+ students. The second best part was the long line of professionals that I got to work with over the years.
Pros
Coworkers, keeping community informed
Cons
Office politics
The newspaper has changed dramatically since I've worked there, as have most newspapers in the last 15 to 20 years.