Denton County, TX Employee Reviews

Quite Terrible
Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXApril 15, 2019
Truly awful awful policies. For felony cases, you literally have to try EVERYTHING before revocation is an option. The management does not care about its employees. Political atmosphere- if the director does not like you it will not matter if your last performance eval is great and you have seniority- you will NOT advance in anyway unless the upper management likes you. There has been large and consistent turn over during my entire tenure- and there is good reason for that.
Pros
4 day work weeks, benefits
Cons
literally everything else- caseloads are too large, poor management and bad working environment
Sedentary, desk job
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 7, 2019
Became very bureaucratic, slow paced culture. Sitting at a desk most of the day and dealing with criminals and paperwork, became very stressful and without reward.
Pros
Job Stability
Cons
Sitting at a desk most of the day staring at a computer moniter.
Fun place to work
Juvenile Supervision Officer (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXNovember 5, 2018
Denton county a hidden treasure inside a great big state called Texas. They give reasonable wages, however, management could be trained lot better, Sadly, if no ones show up to challenge incumbents the wrong person gets in a role of leadership.
Supervisor Sgt Wright (Current Employee) –  Denton, TX 76205September 11, 2018
It's a correctional setting some people are cut out for it others aren't. There is plenty of room for advancement and the pay is decent compared to other places.
Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 6, 2018
I am a person who enjoys working with friendly, helpful, generous people - and I enjoy not working myself to death. I have worked plenty of positions that routinely required long days, nights, and weekends, where I was expected to do this at the drop of a hat, with little or no notice. I have also worked plenty of positions where the coworkers all viewed themselves as "the competition", and would never help out other employees, instead only looking out for their own interests.

Working here is none of the above. I love the work-life balance here. We are 8 to 5 (with an hour lunch) and encouraged to keep the work week at 40 hours. Very occasionally we need to come in early or do something on an evening or a weekend. In those cases, we generally take some hours off during a weekday in order to keep the week at 40 hours. And if it gets busy and you need to work more than 40, you can do that, in which case we get time-and-a-half comp time off. My position goes on call for a week at a time, about 5 times a year, but there is rarely a need to come into the office while on call, because of our remote access capabilities.

Regarding the cooperation here, it is the best of anywhere I've ever worked. Everyone is willing to give a hand, and I feel I can ask anybody on the team for help, and they will give it if they possibly can. I have only been full time here for about 6 months (was a contractor for the 6 months prior to that) so I am still learning the ropes and asking a lot of questions - and everyone is willing to share their knowledge and expertise with me, no strings attached.
  more...

County facilities are overall very modern and comfortable, and we have large cubicles, great computer equipment, a fast network, and comfortable work environment. There are some buildings that need renovation, but not here in Technology Services.

Regarding management, we have an excellent team here. Sure, the occasional edict will come from above that doesn't seem to make sense. But to be fair, at my level, I rarely have the big picture about it. Overall, our policies and procedures are extremely appropriate to our jobs, and are not overly burdensome. In my area, management is extremely permissive, and they give us the freedom to do our jobs well - we are not micromanaged for every network cable and office pencil here. My immediate management team is also open door, extremely approachable, flexible, and understanding about time off requests and anything else out of the ordinary. We do a lot of ongoing training here, much of it offered right here in the county, which is excellent, and we have an online system we can use to take classes for free, and the county even paid for me to attend HDI Desktop Support certification training, and paid for my test - AND let me use office hours for studying for the exam and taking the exam. I don't know of any other place that does that!

Here in technology services, as positions come open, it seems to be preferred to hire from within the department. So if you don't want to stay in the same position for 20-30 years, you don't have to. Many of the folks here have worked in multiple teams over the years. If you want to start out as a Desktop Support person, or any other entry level position, you can (with training and studying) move to another team, or just stay in your work group and move up the ranks within it.

My understanding is that our salaries are somewhat lower than the private sector. That may be true, but the benefits more than compensate. I have excellent healthcare, even though I've chosen the lower price of the two options. I have dental and optical at extremely reasonable rates, and I have life insurance at a great rate as well. Time off consists of all the federal holidays, two weeks of paid vacation, generous sick days, plus 2 personal days each year, plus any accumulated (time and a half) comp time. If I have a health disaster that uses all my sick time, there is a large pool of donated sick days that can be used as well. (As your sick days expire, they automatically go into the pool.) There is generous time off for pregnancy and you can even use sick time to care for a sick family member. The retirement plan is guaranteed to grow at 7% each year, and includes a generous matching amount from the county - I forget the exact amount, but it's excellent. I believe we are vested in this account after 7 years, so if you decide to leave the job, you can take your contributions with you, along with everything put in the by County. Most years (I am told) we get good salary raises as well. This year it was 5%.

I'm supposed to complain about something in this review, and here is the only thing I could think of: at times the functional groups within Technology Services don't always communicate well between each other. In other words, there are times as a Desktop Support person that I could have been more effective if I had only known that the XX team had made an important change to the way YY or ZZ works. I don't think this problem is unique to us here at Denton County. In my experience, this problems exists on some level in pretty much every organization out there.

In summary, as I said before, I've worked a lot of high-pressure, high-demand, competitive, jobs - but I've not enjoyed anything as much as this one. You need to know your job here, and keep up your skills, but after that, you are not expected to sacrifice your home life and your sanity. For the first time in a long time, I enjoy coming to work every day, and enjoy the people I work with - and it is really hard to put a price on that!
Pros
Benefits, work-life balance, cooperative and friendly coworkers
Cons
Occasional lack of communication between functional areas
Not very stressful, and great management overall
Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Denton County, TXAugust 28, 2018
My time at Denton County has been very positive overall. The work is not overly stressful, and there is always room to advance within the county. My supervisor is always willing to pitch in, higher level management is very approachable and helpful, and they are always willing to accommodate reasonable time off requests. The atmosphere is generally lighthearted within my department, and most of my co-workers have a positive attitude.

The only reason I would rate it 4/5 and not 5/5 is that there are some teams that will try to pass off work to other teams that should really be their responsibility, but my supervisor been very good about compromising with others and coming to a resolution that is best for both sides. There is also an on-call rotation depending on what IT team you are on, so you have to plan your personal life around that sometimes.
Pros
Reasonable time off, positive atmosphere, approachable management, opportunity to advance
Cons
"Other duties as required" may entail more than you expected, on-call rotation
IT Excellent place to work
Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXAugust 27, 2018
Working IT at Denton County is an excellent place to be. Compensation is fair however can be lacking in some positions. Despite the difference in pay scale the work environment is friendly, fast paced and with great emphasis on team work it helps to balance out the pro's and cons. Management often is reflection of people in charge and I feel that accurate represents our environment: you can trust management with complaints, or concerns just as easily as you can trust them with future career plans. They listen, and assist as they can.

Overall you are not kept down or discouraged from learning new things and moving up. This is a refreshing change for those coming from cut throat jobs were you have to wary of office politics.

The hardest part of the job as I mentioned is the payscale, some positions are not properly compensated but I feel like if you work here you will understand what makes many people stay.
Pros
8 hour work day, compensated mileage, great management, teamwork
Cons
Payscale for some positions, no Overtime (given comp time instead), Government work means sometimes funding or changes can take a while to implement
Great for work/life balance
Technical Services Administrator (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXAugust 27, 2018
Denton County has so many different departments and job functions; it's likely you can find something that works for you, if you are interested. Employee benefits are pretty good. Comprehensive health insurance starts very soon after starting- generally a month or less, depending on start date. Two weeks is not a ton of vacation, but there are also 10 paid holidays, which is nice for creating time to get life things done and to spend holiday time with loved ones.
A very healthy work environment with an IT staff that work together well
Server Engineer (Current Employee) –  Texas(TX)August 27, 2018
Denton County is a good place to work in IT. They teams are very supportive of each other and very little in the way of attitudes and egos. The training is always ongoing and the county is very proactive with providing quality training. Commuting is very good relative to the Dallas metro area. Denton County is very progressive with their commitment to providing up to date technology to serve the community and employees. The benefits and retirement are some of the best I have seen today and I have been working in IT for 24 years.
Pros
Great benefits/retirement and healthy work environment
Cons
Pay is a little low compared to industry average
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXAugust 18, 2018
Denton County is a large organization with numerous departments and subcultures. Overall I would say that there is great teamwork and camaraderie between all of the different departments with a common purpose for serving the county constituents. Specifically in the technology department we have a great team with daily challenges and opportunities.

Denton County is the 8th largest county in Texas (by population). Conversely, it has one of the lowest total county-wide tax rates in the entire state. I have always been proud to be one of the people that try to serve the public well while being good stewards of their tax dollars.
Denton County Public Health
Public Health (Former Employee) –  Denton County, TXJuly 8, 2018
The atmosphere of the Public Health Department is poor at best. Since the new Director has come in, many of the programs have been dropped and morale has been low. Many employees have left and have been fired. Many of those employees had worked there for over 10-15 years. I cannot speak for other departments in the county but the Public Health Department is not a positive and uplifting place to work.
Cons
Always watching your back, bad leadership
Stressful
Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXAugust 5, 2017
Denton County does not reward employees for their hard work. Above Performance employees are pushed harder than the employees that are below par. Transfers are requested, approved and then denied. Very high turn over rate.
Pros
Cons
Short Staffed, Safety and Security of Officers Compromised
Hours
Deputy Constable (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, TXFebruary 23, 2017
Worked independently, I'm the sr. officer, Everyday work a different experience. Excelled at civil Law. Constable is an elected position, Hours and take home car are great
Pros
Hours/Car
Cons
Not a civil service department
Great Place and Great Leadership
Criminal Investigator & Hostage Negotiator (Former Employee) –  Denton County, TXJanuary 21, 2017
Great place to work, especially with the new sheriff and his new administration. Honorable people are leading this department and I encourage anyone looking to enter law enforcement to consider this department.
Managers and officials need to value their employees more
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Denton, TexasOctober 7, 2015
Typical government that values politics and names over hard work and employee morale. The retirement package is excellent, though and the salary is competitive with other County agencies.
Great for garnering experience in the work force
Student Election Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXSeptember 16, 2015
As a student election clerk, I had a myriad of tasks assigned to me on election day: qualifying voters, setup and maintenance of the polling site, assisting disabled voters, and more. It gave me a taste of what it would be like to be a part of the work force and to deal with the public on a daily basis.
Great to see if you want a job in nursing.
CNA (Former Employee) –  Denton,TXAugust 26, 2015
On the job CNA training, worked with individuals for daily needs, great placed to see if the nursing field is for you as a career. Great learning environment.
Pros
Career Advancement
Cons
Being around and knowing more about different illnesses
No opportunities to move anywhere
Juvenile Supervision Officer (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXJuly 9, 2015
very hard to move to a desired position
can get along with most co-workers
dead end job
job is easy
bad management (hard to get days off, don't have their backs)
favoritism is big
Fun and Interesting Place to work
Senior Administrative Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXMay 12, 2015
Friendly Staff, hard working, dedicated employees. Well compensated. Learned a great deal working here. Got to see from a different perspective what occurs after legal documents get filed.
Denton County
Juvenile Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXApril 8, 2015
Worked with juveniles and families together to provide counseling and guidance for at-risk youth within Denton county.