Denver Mattress Employee Reviews

more concern for work than familyu
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXSeptember 17, 2018
no flexibility in scheduling. more numbers oriented than family oriented. do not want employees furthering their education. competitive in the market.
Change in Management
Operations / Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Kennewick, WAAugust 28, 2018
A lot of changes in management. Company never let me or other managers feel like managers. No advertising, which didn't help with sales. My wage decreased $15,000 in two years.
Great training, long hours
Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  MidwestAugust 6, 2018
Denver Mattress prides itself on preparing sales staff to sale mattresses and become leaders. The company promotes from within, which is great for aspiring managers. The hours are long like in most retail and holiday work is required. It is not too hard to meet sales goals but some higher ups have unrealistic expectations in regards to weekly minimums.

Overall, it is a great place to get sales and management experience however beware a work life balance can be very hard especially in stores that are understaffed. This can also force sales staff to become warehouse workers in a pinch which can lead to backbreaking work that you probably didn't sign up for.
Pros
Good pay, committed coworkers
Cons
Long hours, unrealistic expectations of sales teams, intense physical labor
August 14, 2018

Thank you for your review. I would love to discuss your experience and how we can help better understand your feelings on unrealistic expectations. In terms of the warehouse, all staff is expected to assist when needed in the warehouse and this is outlined in your original application. We of course strive to have staff to coverage for this, but at times, help is needed from the team. Please feel free to reach out to me at 303-566-8172.

Hated it!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 4, 2018
Wasn’t worth it! The manager didn’t even know my name 5 months in! To cool for school (dude, you sell beds! Lol shouldn’t have quit your day job) the managent acts as if they are going to go home every night and drink themselves to death! It’s pretty cut throat, when it doesn’t need to be. Mattresses sell themselves! It would be beneficial for the company to transfer to hourly pay with full time and part time commission. And maybe pay incentive or a low commission per sale to keep it unique and competitive! This is not a job people stay at! The turn over rate is insane! I mean most people but there beds on Craigslist now! It’s a dog eat dog company for sure!
August 14, 2018

Thank you for your review and I would love to discuss your experience. I firmly disagree on many of your points, especially your invalid personal attacks on our management team, turnover rate, and craigslist comments. Feel free to reach out to me at 303-566-8172.

great company
Master Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 31, 2018
Great Company to work for. Benefits could be better. Don't let the commission sales scare you, its pretty steady money. Working the weekends are the hardest part
August 14, 2018

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your reassurance on the commission. We continue to work on improving our benefits and understand the battle of a retail sales schedule. If you have suggestions, please reach out to me at 303-566-8172.

Not a good place
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 23, 2018
If you loke working in a warehouse with no air conditioning in 100 degree heat then this is for you management is awesome though unfortunately this isnt a job for a weak person at all
August 14, 2018

Thank you for the review. We do understand HVAC issues arise and do our best to stay on top of them. Unfortunately, that Texas heat is something we can't control. But we sure do love Texas!

Productive and fun workplace with the people
Warehouse Worker/Manager (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJuly 13, 2018
Denver mattress was a great, energetic, and enthusiastic place to work! The company truly cares about the employees and they make it be known! Highly recommend
August 14, 2018

Thank you for your review and recommendation! If we can ever be of any help, please feel free to reach out to me at 303-566-8172.

Good company to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Selma, TXJuly 11, 2018
Denver Mattress gives you the opportunity to advance with the company. The only down side was the fact to advance you had to be willing to move out of the area and in some cases, out of state.
Pros
Good work enviornment with a chance to grow
Cons
To advance in the company, you have to move in most cases
August 14, 2018

We appreciate your review and wish our opportunity had been the right one for you as we have lots of opportunities nationwide for advancement. We wish you the best of luck in your future career!

Not bad
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMay 31, 2018
Pretty straight forward job. I unloaded trucks, loaded the delivery trucks, helped customers load their orders, smiled and sent them on their way. Pretty relaxed work environment overall. I do wish it was a full time gig though.
Good money, horrible work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 21, 2018
If you can sell and put up with corporate leadership being shoved down everyones throat than this job is for you. I made good money but wasn't willing to bend over like the managers of Denver Mattress are willing to. Saw a manager of over 20 years take abuse from the GM of the company treating him like nothing. If at 20 years you don't get respect why try to start on year 1? I wouldn't suggest it. Cleaning bathrooms in your suit and tie or ladies would be in their dresses/professional wear because they are too cheap to hire a janitor. Job enrichment doesn't include jobs that aren't related to the task. Cutting corners at every chance, the management and staff compete over sales. The MANAGEMENT competes with the salesmen. What business book did they get that tactic out of? How to manage for dummies? Its a joke of a business. Cheap prices because they own their own factories. Thats the only thing keeping them in business. And the ignorance of the customers needing the 5k beds. Good luck Denver Mattress.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else
June 4, 2018

After reading your review, I feel that you have some major misunderstandings on what this job is all about. You were hired as a Sales Management Trainee. In that position, our store management team will invest a great deal of time in teaching you all aspects of running this business. We will walk you through the entire sales process in a comprehensive manner until you have displayed the understanding of the program well enough to help our customers. From that point on, we continue to work with you, to improve your skills, for as long as you work for Denver Mattress. And yes, we are selling managers! We set the example every day on the presentations and level of service that we want for our customers. We don’t compete for sales, we lead by example. In terms of selling "$5k mattresses", you ignored some things in your training as we focus on the guest experience for all our mattresses, and our most popular mattress is $600, but you don't seem to want to focus on that detail. Which brings me to cleaning the restrooms. Let’s re-visit all aspects of running the business. An important part of providing an excellent customer experience is making sure everything looks clean, fresh, and inviting for our customers. We’ll all participate in maintaining our building to deliver this important part of the guest experience, and this is explained early on in your employment process. Finally, I take exception to your comment about disrespect towards a manager. I am the GM of Denver Mattress and I have never treated any employee of the company with abuse or disrespect. I get from your review  more... that you are frustrated, but embellishing it with complete falsehoods doesn’t help anything. It seems to me you were looking for a straight sales position; pay me for what I sell, and leave me alone. That, fortunately, is not what we are about at Denver Mattress. We invest in our people, we deliver the best customer experience in the industry, and we work as a team. That’s why we have so many 20 year employees still with us. I wish you luck in your job search.  less

Pay was good, lots of labor to do
Sales to General Manger (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOApril 9, 2018
usually worked mon and tue 9-9 and wed 9-5...sat 9-9 sun 1130-6.
I learned about hard work and commitment. A lot about integrity and working with different companies and hiring process. Was a job that I took pride in. Also had a lot of control over inventory and very good training on how the systems worked. Didn't have a lot of choices of going where you wanted when promoted and had to move to be promoted.
Pros
controlled a lot of of options and gave you responsablity
Cons
could not get a weekend off unless you use a vacation and lots of hours with short staff
June 4, 2018

Thank you for your review. I think you will be happy to know that we have updated our weekend off policy for our management teams in recent years without having to use vacation. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Job Posting is Deceiving
Interviewee (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 21, 2018
The Sales Manager Trainee job posting ( February 2018) states that the yearly pay is $70,000. Read that as $7.25 an hour plus commission.
Good luck working for a company that post false information on job boards!
Cons
Unethical hiring practices - Deceiving online job descriptions to get applicants to accept interview
February 26, 2018

Thank you for your comment. Our ad specifically states that the position is for a sales manager trainee with starting pay of around $40,000 per year. I would recommend you read job postings more clearly, because the $70,000 per year income is upon promotion to store manager, as outlined in the job description. Good luck in your career search.

Great pay. Benefits with 401k, but no sick time or vacation pay
"Delivery Driver" (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO 80234January 15, 2018
I worked 4 years and never got any promotions. Excellent pay. It's not hourly but you get paid per delivered weekly $125 bonus, tips as well. Heavy lifting. Every employee will experience muscle and joint pains. You will not get sick or vacation pay.
Pros
Lots of ot, daily tips
Cons
Health insuramce isnt great, no pay sick time or vacatiin pay
Slow paced but easy going.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTDecember 21, 2017
It was pretty slow paced so you’ll have to get used to that, other than that the people you work with are great. Job is pretty simple. Overall a good place to work.
Great Place
Warehouse Manger (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INDecember 11, 2017
Enjoy everyone that i work for everyone got along team work was great and mangers wasn't breathing down your neck all the time and manger wasn't scare to get there hands dirty
Pros
discounts
Cons
money
Fast paced
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO 80239November 29, 2017
The overall job is not to bad. The bad part is not being in control of the time you get off. All depends on the factory. Would be better if it was hourly. All comcommision so there is alot of down time.
Pros
Descent pay
Cons
To much down time
Mostly a good company, kind of lost ways in their years.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 30, 2017
Working at Denver Mattress was pretty easy. Mostly laid back but always keeping you busy.
Management continued to ask more and more, I think they lost their ways over the ears of ownership.
Pros
average of 45 hours and good pay if you sale
Cons
higher management is out of touch
November 6, 2017

Thank you for your review. I would love to discuss with you what your specific concerns are, so please feel free to contact me at 303-566-8172.

Good Money Long Hours
Sales and Service (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXOctober 22, 2017
Expect to work 11- 12 hour days most of the time. Any breaks you take effect your pocket book since it's commissioned based sales. Would recommend if you don't mind traveling.
People-focused company with great culture
SALES & CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTOctober 19, 2017
Denver Mattress has a rigorous hiring process that ensures that you will be working with great people if you make it through the interviews. The company will bend over backwards to ensure that you can be successful in your role.
Great Company
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  ColoradoSeptember 29, 2017
They really take care of their employees and there are so many opportunities for growth. Great company culture and you are in charge of your paycheck.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Denver Mattress. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

1.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight