DENVER MUSEUM OF NATURE & SCIENCE Employee Reviews

Working at the museum has taught me great skills. See below.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 11, 2018
A typical day includes an organized plan for the day, be a team player, be open to ideas, be respectful of the breaks, have a sense of urgency. The challenging part is working long days, time demanding, meet a lot of expectations. The most enjoyable part is collaborating with others, and giving me chance to be creative.
Pros
free lunches, friendly environment
Cons
long hours, stressful events
Excellent work atmosphere for a volunteer to learn about work environments.
Expedition Health Exhibit Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 31, 2018
I volunteer at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, and it is a great experience. The Museum has been a great place for me to gain connections and to learn new things. A typical day for me consists of welcoming guests to the exhibit or helping guests in the exhibit. I have learned many new things, including new advances in medicine and how to become a better people person. The volunteer management staff is the best, always being welcoming and helpful. The culture of the museum is one of inclusiveness, always welcoming others and teaching new topics to people of all different backgrounds. The hardest part of the job is having to go home. I always want to stay a little later in order to help others and learn new things. The best part of the job is being able to feel satisfied that you helped others grow in their understanding of the natural world.
Pros
Discounts at museum, friendly staff
Interesting
Web Designer and Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 4, 2018
You learn something new everyday with all the new attractions coming. The entire building is riddled with information from space to dinosaurs. The atmosphere is out of this world.
Very Creative, fun working enviroment
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 26, 2018
Great place to work. Great leadership with a good work life balance. Ability to grow my culinary and management skills. Best part of the job is collborating with scientists and curators to create one of a kind events.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
minimal growth oppertunities
For a Temporary Place, it was fun. Watch for Free Days, though.
Guest Services Host (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 6, 2018
The museum was probably the best job I've had so far. They treated you like family, you got decent wages (two bonuses in 6 months), and it was fun. Free days you had to watch out for, those are when you got slammed, so if you're an introvert, plan ahead and get calmed first.
Pros
Fun, got to see exhibits on breaks, friendly coworkers.
Cons
Loud and crowded on free days, cranky customers waiting in line sometimes happen.
Wonderful place, more like a family, great experience.
Volunteer Entomologist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 16, 2018
I absolutely loved working at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. It was an incredible experience that I would make my lifetime career if I had the means. I was only a volunteer but I would recommend working there part-time, full-time, or volunteering to anyone. It was an excellent work place. My coworkers were so nice and it was always like we were more like a family. My bosses are wonderful too! They always considered me and my time and they were always making sure I was comfortable and happy.
Pros
The people, the perks, the experience.
Was very new to me but I learned lots of new things
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 3, 2017
A typical day of work would involve either working with toddlers in the discovery zone or working in corporate sending out ticket donations. In the discovery zone I would facilitate story times and small science experiments. Working with the kids was a definite fun part of this job. Also at the end of the day i would have to clean up the entire room. When handling ticket donations i worked with excel and sorted incoming emails into the excel format
Fun environment with cool perks
Nature and Science Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 20, 2017
Getting to spend time with the campers was really fun and not too difficult. The times were convenient and the environment was fun and relaxed. This was balance with tons of learning and was a fun experience.
Wonderful place especially because I love science and history!
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  2001 Colorado Blvd. Denver, CO 80205June 9, 2017
This was my most favorite volunteer experiences. I may have accidentally put down that I got paid but either way it was a blast! I learned as much as the kids did which was great!
Knowledge filled work place
Host II, Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 4, 2017
Working here was great because I felt like I was learning something new every single day. The job wasn't that hard, and once you pick it up, the busy days aren't that bad. You have the opportunity to watch the new movies, go on excavations sponsored by the museum, and see the new exhibits first. I liked to take my breaks on the Sky Terrace, looking at the city, and let me just say: best break room EVER. The management was great because they actually care about you, they're very understanding and treat you amazing. The hardest part of working there would be dealing with angry customers, which is not that hard if you know how to handle the situation. The most enjoyable part for me was how friendly everyone working there was, I made some great friends there.
Pros
Free coffee and food very often, free museum tickets for friends and family, can see movies and exhibits (on the clock), can do employee scavenger hunts to better explain the museum.
Cons
Very busy some days with sometimes not enough staff
A great way to spend the summer.
Teen Science Scholar (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 22, 2017
The management was patient and engaged. The work was not boring or stressful, but overall enjoyable. The training happened on a need to know basis but was very effective.
This was a volunteering posistion
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 5, 2017
I would work a 5 hour long shift with a half an hour break for food when desired. I only worked the morning shifts and depending on the volunteers and amount of volunteers that showed up each day, I would work different exhibits. Usually I would run an exhibit for a few hours and switch with another person to run a different exhibit. Depending on the day, we had few people coming in, or we had large school groups.
Hostile corporate environment.
Second Assistant to the President (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 25, 2016
Interact with guests and different departments for advancing the mission of the Museum. Arranged donation requests for several non-profit entities.
Pros
The Museum is on the front of culture in Denver.
Cons
Lack of diversity, executive staff is unprofessional.
Tracks change
Banquet Cook (Former Employee) –  Denver COOctober 17, 2015
Food prep, food execution, communication with co-workers, cleanliness & sanitation, presentation. Large scale banquets for big companies and wedding parties.
Pros
great experience in banquets
Cons
management communication
A pleasure to work with Visitors of the Museum!
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 5, 2015
Greet Visitors with a Smile!
Help direct Visitors
Continuous learning experience of all the Museum offers - FUN
Co-workers were interesting
Management was often fair
No hard part to the job
Most enjoyable was learning and helping people
Wonderful team of people
Space Odyssey Galaxy Guide (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 4, 2015
Volunteered in space oddessy and learned and enjoyed the people i worked with. The employees and volunteers are all very helpful. Great break room. Email updates are great as well.
Honestly, the most fun job I've ever had!
Summer Science Camp Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 18, 2014
It was a great pleasure to teach summer science camp at the Museum of Nature and Science, which I have loved ever since I was a very young child. This was honestly the most fun I have ever had teaching. My only regrets are that they don't pay more, and that they did not hire seasonal staff for the 2014 Science Summer Camp!
Pros
Great colleagues, great supervisors, great fun!
Cons
Relatively low wages.
Fun palce to work and gain a lot of experience
Banquet cook/Line cook (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 12, 2014
I have found that the longer I work, The more I learn. The museum has been an awesome place to work, and the experience is so much fun on a daily basis.
Intellectually challenging
Grades 3-8 Program Developer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 2, 2014
I enjoyed working at the Museum. I learned a tremendous amount about project management, science content across all core competencies. The job was difficult in that there was a great deal more to do than could be done in the allotted time, but the staff is amazing, dedicated and learned.
Volunteer Position
Prehistoric Journey Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 4, 2012
I was a volunteer here, but it would have been a dream come true if they could have paid me.