DENVER PUBLIC LIBRARY Employee Reviews

Lack of opportunities
Lean Black Belt (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 3, 2018
Great mission but work ethic is not rewarded fairly. High achievers and slackers receive very similar performance reviews as budget restrictions put pressure on keeping salaries down.
Productive, fun and good for gaining experience.
Circulation clerk/Security guard (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 26, 2018
This is a position that allow experience in multiple fields for those looking to advance young people their future careers and older generations lookig for a good retiring position.
Circulation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 16, 2018
I'm just filling this out because it's required. The place is pretty good place to work although difficult to move up in. There tends to be a lot of clicks and connections so if you're interested in climbing the ladder it's important to be outgoing and make strong connections.
Best place ever
Shelver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 11, 2018
You get such a great feeling working for the community and the co-workers all love it as well. Super friendly people, fulfilling work and great pay/benefits. Wish I could go back!
Fun, collaborative and challenging
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 9, 2018
The team I worked with was collaborative. Co-workers respected one another and always offered to help each other out. Tasks were coordinated and delegated appropriately so that things were done efficiently. Employees were encouraged to grow in their career and always seek professional development opportunities.
Needs better management
ADMIN. ASSISTANT IV (Former Employee) –  SchlessmanSeptember 30, 2017
The management team is unhelpful and not passionate about their employees. They do things without communicating any new ideas or procedures. Management needs training
Great place to work for someone looking for a purpose
Administrative Support Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 25, 2017
Denver's libraries are a fun and exciting places to work if you are passionate about books, research and new frontiers in community building and education. If you are looking for long term stability, a living wage, and any kind of promotion you should look elsewhere. The library gets by on asking for 'flexibility' in their duties from junior workers taking on projects and responsibilities that are above their pay grade with promises of positive performance reviews and job experience that will not pan out long term. Advancement is difficult and depends largely on seniority, the right contacts and politicking. Management is entrenched and largely unreachable meaning that there is often little recourse in situations where employees and supervisors come into conflict.

If you are able to stay out of the way of politics and are looking for an exciting job that can leave you with the glow of achievement and purpose the library is a good fit. But you'll never feed a family on what you make.
Good benifits solid staff.
LIBRARY CLERK/SECURITY (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 28, 2017
Library work is all around great. You help students, you help the community. They offer great benefits and tons of paid time off. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable.
fun, learning, and successful atmosphere
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 9, 2016
I recommend this place of employment to anyone trying to build success and advance in the organization. Your job is not limited to specifics and the staff and work environment are fascinating. The opportunities are endless. Management, training and support are the best I have experienced so far.
Pros
benefits, great management
Cons
Worst place I have ever worked
Circulation / Security Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 27, 2016
I worked in a hostile work environment almost the whole time I worked there. The people at the branch are worst then high school students when it comes to talking and gasping about staff. The lead even makes up stuff about people so she has something to gasp about. You don't get breaks because the lead said you can't because you get an Hour lunch, no I take an hour lunch because I have to or I would be in overtime. I was told I had to clock out on time at the end of the day but had to continue closing because I couldn't have over time. The senior let's the lead have way to much control, probably explains the turn over rate.
If you go to HR about anything you will be told it's your fault and then treated even worse. I would never recommend Denver public library to anyone.
You don't get paid close to what you should, Raises are horrible, the list goes on.
Pros
Pto
Cons
No breaks, horrible health benefits, hostile workplace, horrible management
Desk work, Driving, Customer service
14th and Broadway - Senior Clerk/Bookmobile Driver (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 22, 2015
It's difficult to get hired, but they have good benefits. The employees are nice. Customers can be a handful sometimes. I worked on a bookmobile with the same person everyday which I enjoyed as we got along well.
Pros
Very openminded workplace, no dress code, easy job.
Cons
Repetitive, Customers can be rude
Great experience
Senior Library Clerk / Bookmobile Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 28, 2015
I was only at this position for a short time, due to a serious injury. This library treated me like gold. It is hard to rate certain things, based on the short amount of time I was there. However, people stick around. The benefits are excellent. I am still receiving benefits after only working here a short time, due to disability, and I hope to be able to return to work soon. I would love to restart my career at this library. Every manager I have met is intelligent, listens, and really values people and the library. It was obvious things are well run.
Fun place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 5, 2014
Answering phones. Stocking shelves. Working with computers and small children.
Culturally diverse staff, public is their middle name, excellent resources.
Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 14, 2012
Great place to work, some of the best employee benefits around. The variety of materials whether reference or entertainment is superb.
Pros
tuition re-imbursement, great healthcare package.
Cons
inflexibility of work schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DENVER PUBLIC LIBRARY. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
4.4

4.4Personal Development

4.6Career Opportunities

4.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

DENVER PUBLIC LIBRARY Reviews by Location