Denver Public Schools Employee Reviews

Fast paced.
Office support 2 (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 13, 2018
Work pace wast constant. Learn to help all persons feel comfortable when they come in. Managed work duties well. Everyone works to help days go well. The hardest part is interruptions but you learn to deal with it. Enjoy making people feel welcome and know we care about their needs.
Always help Spanish speakers with someone in office who speaks the language. I've learned to put others needs first. I've learned in my 25 years how to read people and help them in a positive way.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Parents who don't accept our help.
Dps
6th Grade Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 3, 2018
I do not believe DPS is a good place to work. The district does not support teachers and does not care about retaining teachers. Unfortunately this leads to many unhappy teaching experiences.
Dps
Paraprofessional and Guest Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 25, 2018
An average school district to work for, DPS does a lot of out of state hiring. Administration tries but lacks the necessary resources to act. Serves a diverse population.
Good Heart, Negligible Impact
Math Fellow, Educator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 24, 2018
Working in this program for Denver Public Schools is a hard sell considering how hard you work for very little money. However, this is some of the most important work being done today in society. If your heart is big enough to deal with some truly awful students, a stressed environment, and little downtime, you'll be fine.
Higth-Paced
Floater/Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 21, 2018
It was a great job Oppurtunity working with DPS, for their non-profit Center for Family Oppurtunity. I learned many valuable things that I can take with me through out my career.
Pros
Hours worked great for my life-style
Cons
It was only a contracted 5 month job
work in city driving
Transportation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 21, 2018
it is a great job for retirees but for steady income it needs improvement if you like summers and and a lot of time off with no pay and have a second income or job this is a great job for you
Pros
lots of time off
Cons
lots of time off with no pay
Great place to work.
Custodial Supervisor I (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 19, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Denver Public Schools. The only thing I would say needs improvement is the work load. They eliminate positions and pile that work load onto someone else who already has a huge work load.
Nursing
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 15, 2018
The review and SLO process is tough to understand and not necessarily best practice aligned for nurses. The processes are written for educators. There needs to be a process where staff that understand the role of the nurse are writing nurses yearly compensation reviews.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Large workloads with minimal support
Public Education Bureaucracy
Finance/Accounting (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 12, 2018
Decent place to work.
Work culture is like high school.
Management isn't confident with decisions. They work harder and not smarter with new systems.
Stressful work with cut-throat management
Librarian/Technology Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 5, 2018
Already a difficult job, the administration constantly cut corners and made working there a nightmare. You could be replaced at any moment. It came down to a new inexperienced principal was hired to force out the much more experienced one who proceeded to eliminate everyone in order to hire new, lower paid professionals. The most enjoyable part of the job was the kids and getting trained on new technology/systems. The management I got to work with was exemplary, but they were replaced by inexperienced and underpaid workers. I learned Public Schools are badly mismanaged from higher positions in the administration and you have to have a deep passion to keep working there, or at any public school.
Pros
Working with great kids and staff
Cons
Terrible administrative choices, high stress, little room for advancement
Collaborative and fun place to work!
School Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 5, 2018
DPS promotes whole child success and works with employees on achieving this. DPS also promotes a collaborative work environment that positively impacts students and their families.
I enjoyed working here.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 3, 2018
I always had fun working here. the people I worked with were fun and efficient. There was always a good amount of team work and there was always something new everyday.
Poor culture and work life balance
Family and Community Engagement (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 1, 2018
Does not treat staff equally. District culture is unhealthy and pretends to care about employees but supports only the status quo. I would never recommend anyone work at this company.
Cons
Poor work life balance... there is none.
Best School District to work for
Director of Employee Benefits (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 31, 2018
Denver Public Schools has made a commitment to providing all students with a meaningful educational experience. The employees are committed meeting the goals of the district.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Benefit contribution is low
Lack of commadery, compartmentalized
Teacher Coach (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 25, 2018
My career at the DPS, was extremely busy, but, I was devoted to my craft and it was enjoyable. I was actively involved in teaching, coaching, choreography for Theatre department, supporter of many sport teams as assistant/volunteer needs.
Pros
Ability to build my content area curriculum and department programs.
Cons
Non
Challenging career position with high level of collaboration
ELA-E,ELA-S classroom teacher- (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 21, 2018
Working with the students, families and colleagues at Denver Public Schools was very challenging and rewarding. Support for the ELA students and teachers has grown steadily over the last 15+ years I worked there. The district has increasingly provided more and better materials and support for teachers and students so that ELA students can better access the curriculum and compete with their peers. Over the last 5 years, the Teacher Leader program has really provided a much needed connection between administrators and teachers to support program improvements and on-going teacher development.
Pros
Newer curriulum materials and adequate grade level classroom libraries
Cons
Extensive paperwork and lesson planning and preparation required.
Family Oriented Place
Office Support III (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 20, 2018
The district itself has some work to do, but the school and administration at the school i was employed at was wonderful and very helpful. They were very supportive and all about the children.
Enjoyable working accomidations
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 16, 2018
the time went by fast The job was easy to do the people were easy to work with we always finished on time no long hours. I was pregnant during the time I was there and had no dificulty completing my work assigned.
Pros
clean well kept bldg
Family
Paraprofessional- Escalante- Biggs Academy (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 14, 2018
Great environment, everyone treats each other like family. Its a fun place to work at. Its a place where kids come first. I'm always learning something new.
Career Educatior
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 13, 2018
Working for the Denver Public Schools was of extreme value for the 30+ years I worked for them. The number of years I served as a teacher, assistant principal, principal and central office administrator were of extreme value.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Denver Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.7Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Denver Public Schools Reviews by Location