Denver Public Schools Employee Reviews

Good job.
Manager level 3 (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 11, 2019
Loved working here. I worked in a cafeteria as a manager. My team was amazing my first supervisor was good. Very nice and helpful. Not my second one which is why i left.
Pros
Awsome teams
Cons
Rules get more ridiculous each year
great place to work
School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 10, 2019
I would work for them again. I met and cared for children with high needs in school. The teachers and paras at DPS are passionate caring people that want the best for kids.
Bilingual Paraprofessional
Bilingual Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  1860 Lincoln Street Denver, CO 80203April 5, 2019
I was originally hired for a paraprofessional to assist a teacher at a kindergarten class but from day one I was assigned to shadow a child that had behavioral problems. I would redirect the child when he was being loud or distracting class with his behavior. I basically worked as a one on one paraprofessional educator until the end of the year. I was a bilingual paraprofessional speaking English and Spanish to students and parents.
not to much of a fun place the weekends were nice
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 3, 2019
i had enough of dps and how they treated me and others they were horable the higher up management were always on us about the smallest things you just get tired. they never can keep people how they treat people wrong. payroll always has a problem with your paycheck and they give you the run around about it. they will fire you for any problem they don't care i can go on.
Pros
the lunch cost $2.25 for students and adult $4.00
Students are fun.
Math Fellow (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 2, 2019
The easiest part of this job is teaching. The kids are fun and usually like to learn. Administration can sometimes be a pain because it seems like you have to prove each week that this program works.
Productive and fun place to work with kids
Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 1, 2019
Interaction with 100 students from 6 to 8 grade, helped with study skills, reading skills and time management for classwork. I learned to be flexible, patient and kind on a daily basis. I interacted with teachers I supported within the classroom and enjoyed being mentored by them. The workplace culture adhered to the education of children for success in all areas of their lives. The hardest part of the job was learning to discipline children. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the potential of each student and helping them see what they could accomplish.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits
Heart is in the right place
Financial Representative (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 27, 2019
Political agendas at every turn seem to distract and complicate Everything. The goal of students first is honorable and also at the forefront of all decisions. The other core values seem to be used as a way to explain decisions that do not always seem so honorable.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Salary
It has been more than two decades since I worked in DPS.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 26, 2019
I really enjoyed working with the diverse population of staff and students. The experience I got there was priceless and I missed the multicultural aspects when I moved to the suburbs. Lots of resources close at hand and parents were encouraging for the most part.
Pros
Diverse population of learners.
Cons
Sometimes parking is unavailable.
Excellent school district
PE/Dance Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 23, 2019
Dedicated school district to student achievement and teacher accountability. I would have preferred to be teaching at one location. I commuted between two school. Which made my employee review process questionable. Students were great and leadership was mostly positive and supportive.
Pros
Professional Workplace
Cons
Lack of being able to secure full time position at one school
great p[lace to work if you have kids
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 19, 2019
if you have kids its a great place to work your kids can go to work with you as long as they can walk up stairs and if you kid go to dps they can take the bus from your work
Pros
good attitude
Cons
n/a
Yikes.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 14, 2019
A typical day at work in a Title I school involves tons of relationship building, behavior management, and lightning quick decision making regarding the first two points. Management can never seem to get enough results out of you, and the pressure they put on teachers is crushing. The other teachers have been nothing short of amazing, but management has really begun to ruin a wonderful school in a deserving community. The hardest part of the job is dealing with other adults - sure the kids demand our time and energy, but the most draining moments come directly from adults, 98% of the time by management. The most enjoyable part of the day are the relationships built with families, students, fellow staff, and the individual and group results as our outcomes.
Great students but challenging administration
Classroom Teacher- 3nd Grade Newcomers (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 14, 2019
My school has consistently had a very high turnover rate and the general teacher experience there has been challenging as a result of the school administration.
Schools are not well organized for guest teaching
Guest teacher/Long Term sub (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 14, 2019
I imagine as a full time instructor, one has more control over student discipline issues. However, as a guest teacher, we receive very little information on 504 and IEP' so student distractions from learning are common.
Pros
Class diversification
Cons
Too many students with discipline problems towards guest teachers.
Collaborative Environment
Academic Partner | Small Group Instruction (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 12, 2019
Strong commitment to equity and putting students first. The leadership opportunities for teachers are outstanding and have been helping to keep strong classroom teachers school based.
DPS is great
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 8, 2019
I work with five to twelve year olds, in our groups we do science, math, computers. We try to teach the children planning and other skills while incorporateing fun like arts and crafts.
Pros
Kids and staff
Cons
Pay
District with tremendous challenges
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 22, 2019
I only worked at one school, so I truly can't speak for the entire district. It was not a typical school, as it combined middle and highschool together, which after my experience I firmly believe is a terrible idea.

I was very impressed with many of the educators' dedication and talents.

Not so with the administration. Administrators proved to be backbiting, not supportive, even dishonest. I have many years experience in the field of education, and this is the first time that I can state across the board that from the Principal, through the Assistant Principals, not a single one proved to be worthy.of respect. Again, this was only at one school, so my experience is not against the district in general.
Pros
Students, families, colleagues
Cons
Administrators
Good people
Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 11, 2019
DPS tries really hard to compensate people well, treat the public generously, maintain a great professional work ethic, and negotiate its payments and funding as the nice guy in the room. It has come to a head with the teacher union protesting generous bonuses for teachers that meet the District's strategic goals (SpED, Spanish, STEM, high poverty schools) and Administrator's who make slightly more than the average teacher. It is hard to stay in an office that's facing 150+ publicly announced job cuts due to the strike situation, but before this DPS was really great.

No, they don't pay enough to live well in Denver, but you can afford to live in walking distance to downtown or your school. They pay about as well as any other public sector agency in Colorado. The coworkers are extremely talented, young, diverse, and mostly graduated from good schools across the country. The leadership is very ethical and upbeat. There is a wide array of interesting admin, policy and organization-running work to be done.
Pros
Location, vacation time, development, work, volunteer opportunities, ethics, talent, diversity
Cons
Kaiser insurance sucks
DPS needs work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 8, 2019
DPS has some wonderful teachers and the students are, by and large, nice, mannerly, respectful, etc.

The pay program (ProComp) is whack so it's hard to predict what you will earn from year to year. The base salary is very low and forces many teachers to work multiple jobs or to leave for greener pastures in other districts that are better paying. DPS does not offer reasonable wages so teaching is not a sustainable profession there. Paras make next to nothing.

Top heavy administrative positions and salaries with low regard for teachers (passive aggression), and charters take higher priority within the district. I guess this is supposed to be educational reform? A lot of money is spent promoting charters, and they get the students with the most advantages. You will need to pay for some supplies out of pocket, and there has not been a cost of living increase in years. Health insurance has very high deductibles, and all of this makes DPS a difficult place to work because who can afford to work there? Morale is low. Building administrators vary, and some are fabulous.
Pros
Nice people (teachers, students, and some principals)
Cons
unpredictable income and difficult to understand "guide", punitive central office, charters impact public funds, schism between administration and staff
Another example of poor management
EVENING CUSTODIAN (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 5, 2019
The staff, as in higher ups, are really well know to each other and work is mischievous ways to work around people they don't like, I've saw many unjust actions from both an average Field Manager (FM) and Assistant Field Manager (AFM) all the way to the top of the list with a Area Manager being in with the drama and malicious intent on nominal. everyday custodial employees.
Pros
The money and retirement plan
Cons
The management
Food long term work
Assistant Facility Manager II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 3, 2019
As a night time assistant facility manager I found my job to be pretty laid back on most days but it could also be challenging balancing your nightly duties, events, and staff. Pay was good. You have at least a couple chances to move up in ranks and get pay raises. Benefits are good.
This is a good work environment for long term work. Working as a team is daily. Overall I enjoyed my time with DPS. Made great friends and many relationships with different departments. Summers could be fun and eventful as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Denver Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss