Department of Aging and Disability Employee Reviews

Waiver, Survey , and Certification Divison
Nurse Reviewer III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78714May 22, 2018
The need is to back up professionals instead of insisting on own agenda when it comes of the health of others and nursing practice. I was asked to integrate policy of waiver, survey and certification with nursing practice standards and when done I was asked not to contact the Texas nursing board for clarification Lots of reverse discrimination depending on what supervisor is working with a particular culture.
Pros
Travel
Cons
discrimination
Nothing typical
Homecare worker (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORApril 24, 2018
typical day at work varies for me. Could be showering,cleaning and toileting. Could Be a play a drive and lunch. You never know what you have until i arrive at work.
Pros
great people, new experiences
Cons
no advancement, pay
Great experience,
Certified Nurse III Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXApril 4, 2018
It is a great learning experience to have. I worked with a great group of people. The system could use some revamping and organizaiton. Not enough time in the office to thorughly do your job, not enough office time compared to being out in the field.
Pros
great experience, travel
Cons
low pay, pays monthly
Poor management
QIDP Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 5, 2018
There is not good management. To many clicks. Favoritism. Unethical work practices with management. I was let go because I told the truth about what management was doing.
i recomend d.a.d.s for employment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 4, 2018
working as an intern while attending a trade school was fun for me.being proficient at a new area in my life. learning how to become better at data entry.
Pros
long lunch
DSP 2 (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXJanuary 2, 2018
Always a chance for advancement. Benefits are good. OT available different shifts are available. Paid training is provided. Pto and retirement available
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Not enough staff
n/a
Community Care Worker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 2, 2017
I enjoyed working for this company but because of personal reasons I had to leave. Was out of office till 2:20 pm Monday-Thursday. Friday was the day that I would return and make phone calls.
An ok place to work
Direct Professional Staff (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 21, 2017
It is slow paced. Meeting different cultures of people is the most enjoyable part of the job, however not enough opportunity to grow. Diverse cultures but limited opportunities.
Very rewarding
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 2, 2017
Great opportunity. I like the moral of the unit. The independence given in this role. Work is checked often for errors. Traveling is not the best at times.
Good job with gaps of incompetency
Direct Support Professional I (Current Employee) –  Lufkin, TXAugust 18, 2017
I have worked over a year and a half for DADS and while I love what I do and enjoy my individuals and most staff, there are severe management issues that control things on campus that should not be controlled! BHS and upper management totally incompetent, they walk in and act like the individuals are a case file and not a human being and act like they know everything about them. The pay is extremely low for the quality of life we attempt to offer these individuals and if you work there you will completely fall in love with most of them like family. It comes down to what you can tolerate and are you th right fit for the job, the pay is so low here you better love what you do cause you will not want to be here if you're there for a paycheck!
Pros
Helping those who cannot help themselves, insurance
Cons
Poor management, extreme stressful environment, low pay
Productive and fun work environment.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 8, 2017
Responsible for monitoring video surveillance of employees.
• To ensure safety and welfare of the consumer.
• Monitor and report violations of neglect and abuse to the Director of Department of Aging and Disability.
• Responsible for recording particular cases of neglect and abuse.
good work environment, good benefits
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Mexia, TXMay 17, 2017
Help give aid to the mentally ill. Help with social skills,motor skills,and working youth back into the community. Management was okay,no issues. The hardest part of the job was trying to get an increase in pay. The most enjoyable part was taking the youth out on trips to the movies/out to eat.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Frustrating place to work for.
Charge (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 16, 2017
I've worked at this state supported living center for several years. When I first started, we had plenty of staff that had a good work ethic. A few years later, we had younger staff coming in with iffy work ethic. For the past 2 years now we've been short staffed and having to work double shifts up to three times a week, sometimes up to 18-20 hour shifts.

Older staff are retiring as soon as they can, younger staff are being hired with zero work ethic and new staff that are good workers are quiting shortly after being hired due to the double shifts and unrealistic expectations pasted down by management.

The buildings desperately need work done and newer state vehicles are needed. Instead the money seems to go elsewhere. When a natural disaster happens, it takes hours for people to get it together. Committee's involved in making decisions for a client, who can not make their own decisions, usually do not listen to staff.

Your only chance for advancement really only comes when someone retires or resigns. Favoritism is, more often than not, shown to certain staff that are friends with upper management. From my observations, you will have job security as long as you put forth minimal effort and don't upset management. This place will consume your life.

Last but not least, instructors will give you answers to all test during the three weeks of training you receive before working around clients. No independent thinking is required.
Pros
Insurance and retirement
Cons
Breaks, pay/salary, extended work hours
Very fulfilling and warm enviorment
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  San BernardinoMay 2, 2017
Its a real gift to be able to help care for someone in need. I love helping people, at first my client and I got along great, but when it came to hygiene and physical therapy she was extremely mean and wouldn't cooperate.
Pros
Helping
Cons
It was an all day job but I only got paid for five hours a day. I typically worked 12
it was straight to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Mexia, TXApril 25, 2017
Reading Diet Card learning the different textures sweeping and mopping learning to get get along with other people and no eating or drinking the stuff
Pros
had a lunch breack
Cons
took short break
Holdovers will make you quit!
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXMarch 26, 2017
I really love this job. I love what I do and I enjoy helping the individuals. The only thing that makes me want to quit is the hold overs and having to float to other homes.
Pros
Benefits, advancement
Cons
Hold overs and floating
Don't apply here!!! You have been warned.
Staff (Current Employee) –  On CampusFebruary 27, 2017
This place is the worst place I have ever worked. Management doesn't know what they are doing. They will hire anybody here and I mean anybody. All people do here is gossip and sleep with eachother instead of taking care of the residents. There are staff that steal from the facility and residents and treat them like trash.

Do not send your family members here, they will get very bad care.
Engaging and challenging
Surveyor III (Current Employee) –  TempleJanuary 12, 2017
Working for the State Of Texas is rewarding. Serving the Elderly and enjoying the work load. M-F 8-5. Can work from home. moderate travel,
Benefits
Cons
low scale pay
Excellent place to work
Administrative Technician I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2017
A typical day at work was to enter the state building and enjoy the atmosphere and work diligently to complete job tasks. I learned how to complete jobs by the deadline, and also learned new policies. I really did like the management. They were about getting the job done, and also provided a fun atmosphere to work in. I enjoyed my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was getting things done in a timely manner such as shipping and mailing important things to other employment agencies, because some of their employees jobs were on the line. The most enjoyable thing about this agency is the whole fun atmosphere and coworkers and management relationships
Pros
potlucks, extended lunches
Cons
had to move to several offices
This is a great place to work
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 7, 2016
a typical work day is not always predictable, I have learned to be more compassionate with this job. management don't care much about your personal life though because they don't always provide a well balanced work and life schedule. sometimes it feels as though you are being punished for coming to work, because you are forced to work a 16 hrs shift and still have to show up for work the next day. They don't balance the schedules for you to be aware that the day before you are off, to be subject to a stay over. Some of the tenured co-workers like to slack off and let you take on the heavier loads. the hardest part of this job will definitely be dealing with stay overs and your co-workers. the most enjoyable part is caring for these individuals, if caring for others brings joy and happiness to your life this is the job for you. I would have worked for much longer than I did have management provided a better scheduling managements.
Pros
amazing benefits, days off are flexible, the individuals you serve are amazing people who need your help for their daily lives.
Cons
some days you might have to work 16hrs