Department of Agriculture Employee Reviews

Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 7, 2018
USDA could be a great place to work, however, management doesn't enforce work loads. Management doesn't enforce work due to being friends with their workers. There's no one to hold this company accountable to get the work done. I would not refer this company. It pays great salary, but very stressful.
Pros
Salary Great
Cons
Some management/staff are not team players.
Excellent Workplace
Farm Loan Officer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 5, 2018
Government job with good benefits. Expected learning pace is fast. Older more seasoned employees tend to slough off some since the job security is so strong. Management and training methods could be a little better and organized. I wish managers and seasoned employees were held more accountable to pull their own weight and keep lower staff in check. Overall a good place to work, good job security and a passion to try and help employees enjoy their work.
Great if your young and hard working and like to travel.
Forestry Technician (Former Employee) –  Gunnison, COMarch 3, 2018
I had alot of fun working at the forest service. Provides excellent opportunities to grow and move up on a regular basis. Able to travel and work all over the us depending on where you are ordered up from. Around hard working positive people.
Pros
Travel, paid to work out. Out side 75% of the time
Productive and get to work outdoors
Soil Conservation Technician GS (Current Employee) –  Burlington, IAFebruary 28, 2018
I enjoy working here, good staff and variety of work. Get to meet interesting people, and look at different farms. Chance to learn new things frequently, Training is provided.
Awesome Place to Learn New Skills
Biological Technician-Internship (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 27, 2018
I really learned alot of key factors from working with the USDA. Management was well organized and worked soundly to give me key tools to understand the world of agriculture.
Government jobs are nice
Pathways, Student Intern, Admin and Office Support (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 23, 2018
I enjoyed working there. It's a relaxed environment with good pay and is more flexible with hours in my case. I was a student intern under contract for a year. I choose my own schedule, as long as I did my 40 hours a week. There are a lot of opportunities for advancement, and job security is there.
Summer Job
Summer Tour Guide (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAFebruary 21, 2018
This was a job I held every summer during college. I was able to learn about Mt St Helens and was able to climb it twice. It was very memorable and I had a very good mentor.
Internship
Internship Summer Scholar Program (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 21, 2018
It was just an internship where we had to create an organic smoothie that did not include any sugars. We worked in a team of 5 and it was enjoyable and interesting.
USDA Forest Service
Internship (Current Employee) –  USDA Forest ServiceFebruary 20, 2018
It is a great place to work but very difficult to get a job with them. I enjoy working for the distract manager, he is far and level headed. It is a great experience overall.
Pros
knowledge of the forest
Cons
hard to be placed where you want
Usda-fsa
PROGRAM TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, VAFebruary 20, 2018
I gave my life to the organization. I loved working with the farmers.
Growing up in the county, I knew most of them and it was easy
to working with them. I 'm a people person and I gave them the
best customer service. They deserved the Best anytime they
came in my office.
Pros
Close to home, good working conditions
Cons
Long days, and stressful times
can be difficult to have job advancement
Timber Cruise Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pagosa Springs, COFebruary 19, 2018
I worked as a seasonal for the USDA Forest Service for 8 years. If you are not a current employee then it can be extrememly difficult to get hired on for a permanent full time position.
Productive and fun place to work
Accountant Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 16, 2018
One thing about working for the Department of Agriculture is the constant ability to learn different operating systems. Also the ability to network with different people.
Pros
Learning Operating Systems
Cons
Temp Position
Seasonal Firefighter
Squad Boss (Former Employee) –  Entiat, WA 98822February 14, 2018
The firefighting was a lot of fun and the crews are pretty well skilled. I enjoyed it but the work is hard and the pay is okay. They expect you to give your life to it for the entire 6 months you are working.
Good college job
Wildland firefighter (Former Employee) –  Stevensville, MTFebruary 12, 2018
It is a lot of sitting then lots of action for a short period of time. It is hard physical work, but pays well and is a good college job. As a temp employee you can pay for instate college in a good summer or almost in a bad.
Pros
paid to work out, lots of overtime, outdoors work
Cons
dangerous, boring unless on fire
work at a packing house on the line
Food Inspector (Current Employee) –  Windom, MNFebruary 10, 2018
I find diseases and other issues with meat to make sure the meat is wholesome and safe for the consumer to eat. I sort through the viscera table to find diseases, look at the carcasses for abnomalities and fecal. I slice the lymph nodes in the head to look for diseases and abcesses.
benefits
Cons
line job
Get new supervisors and management
USDA Seasonal Cotton Classer (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 9, 2018
Terrible management and supervisors: they literally drive people away from job early in the season (it's seasonal). And rather than hire more people, they spread the work around those who remain, forcing more people to leave early in the season. While the USDA has posted schedules that you agree to work, management will often change your time out as well as your duties each day. They will not give you days off unless they decide to give you a day off (this is 7 days a week for the season). Also, don't get sick there: they will call the ambulance for you and make you go to the ER and you will owe a lot of $$$. People get sick there a lot, so buy a breathing mask or respirator because you'll need working around all the chemicals in that cotton!

I really think if management worked at creating a better schedule and work with people a little better, my review would be more positive, because the pay is good and most of the staff I had no problem with. But really, I really noticed how undemocratic a job with the government is. I really think that the USDA in Lubbock needs to replace their entire management and supervision. They have been there so long that they even have RSVP parking spots not just the manager, but the secretary, the cleaning lady, and all the supervisors there! How do you get that kind of special treatment in the government department?
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
You will get really sick there and the managment is terrrible and does care about anyone under them
Awesome
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, OKFebruary 6, 2018
If given the opportunity I would definitely go back to this job! Not only was the pay good but the employees and the boss was fabulous to work with and for.
Backcountry Ranger
Backcountry Ranger (Former Employee) –  Walden, COFebruary 6, 2018
This was certainly the best job I ever had and was able to work at protecting all Americans' precious resources. We all need to be outside more often, and this was an amazing opportunity to do that.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Funding is variant upon political climate
Government
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Santurce, PRFebruary 5, 2018
Very slow days, but productive. as a government office, all jobs are customer service related. To ensure that clients receive the service they request. very instructive and fulfilling days
Pros
job security
Cons
no benefits
Interesting work
Civil Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Coudersport, PAFebruary 2, 2018
If you enjoy working outside in a rural area then this would be a good job for you. Some office work is required. You must be able to get along with many personality types. Agency culture tends to be somewhat pedantic.